A 22-Year-Old Mother Kills Her Infant Son Because He Interrupted Her Farmville Game on Facebook

Deborah 2012/05/08 23:47:18

Alexandra V. Tobias is awaiting trial after pleading guilty to shaking her 3-month-old son to death. Can you believe that the Florida woman committed this senseless act of violence because her infant's cries were distracting her while she was playing Farmville on Facebook? How could this happen?

If there is any justice Alexandra V. Tobiaswill spend the rest of her life behind bars. The 22-year-old Jacksonville, Florida resident recently plead guilty to killing her 3-month-old son over an online game. She admits that Dylan Lee Edmonsonhad been crying for a while as she played the popular Facebook game Farmville.

Alexandra told police that when the infant wouldn't stop crying, last January, she stepped away from the game long enough to shake the boy, smoke a cigarette and then shake the boy again. The unfit mother suggested that little Dylan "may have hit his head during the shaking."

Disgusting. I can't stomach this kind of abuse. Considering that so many of my friends and family are struggling to conceive, it really enrages me that mothers can be so careless with the kids they were blessed to have.

So sad! This mother murdered her daughters with a sword

Dylan's death has been classified as second-degree murder, so if convicted, Alexandra faces the possibility of life in prison. The Farmville craze - it has more than 75 million users who earn virtual money by growing and harvesting crops - is becoming a big cause for concern because there are so many reports of players, like Alexandra, have become addicted to the game.

Experts warn that Charlie Sheen is psychologically damaging
his daughters

Dr. Phil even featured a Farmville-addicted mother on his talk show in January. Playing Farmville online became an obsession for this woman. She admits to being on the computer playing from the moment she wakes up until late into the night, while her kids were eating microwaveable meals and living in filth.

If you find yourself spending way too much time taking care of your cyber crops, Dr. Phil suggests deleting the game to ensure that it doesn't become a bigger problem.

I'm going to share this story with every single one of my Facebook friends that like to boast about how well their corn crop and avocado harvests are doing. I suggest you do the same thing!

A 22 Year Old Mother Kills Her Infant Son Because He Interrupted Her Farmville Game on FacebookA 22 Year Old Mother Kills Her Infant Son Because He Interrupted Her Farmville Game on Facebookhttp://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/a-22-year-old-mother-kills-h...

• Lover.To.Death 2013/03/22 20:14:53
    Lover.To.Death
    wow this is so so so so sad how could a mother do this to her own baby i don't even think she needed to have a baby if she's gonna shake it to death just because of some Dome Farmville game! R.I.P Baby Dylan:(
  • Screen name 2013/01/20 21:45:20
    Screen name
    +11
    She was sentanced to 50 years in prison
  • redhead 2012/12/20 23:43:12 (edited)
    redhead
    I think she is sexy and would love to be her man
  • Deborah redhead 2012/12/27 03:19:14
  • redhead 2012/12/08 07:49:19
    redhead
    +8
    She belongs in the pen
  • redhead 2012/12/08 07:48:25
    redhead
    +1
    She just did not want the baby facebook game had nothing to do with it.
  • Charlotte.Jolicoeur.Mtl 2012/07/25 04:08:47
    Charlotte.Jolicoeur.Mtl
    +5
    I think game addiction is only the tip of the iceberg. No reasons can excuse such behavior toward their own children, but the fact that no one is around to stop them is also very real. For example, there would be a great correlation to do between the fact that she was a young mother, perhaps single has there no mention of the father, and her addiction to video game as a way to cope out... The tragedy isn't that she killed her baby because of Farmville, but perhaps because she was stressed and wasn't able to meet the demands of being a mom. I don't think someone who would've voluntarily chosen to have a children would ever act that way toward their own progeniture.
  • Michael Cooper 2012/07/06 16:49:20
    Michael Cooper
    +2
    I hope her crops withered.
  • derp 2012/07/06 04:35:05
    derp
    +3
    one does not simply delete a browser game.
  • tj ~(^-^)~ 2012/06/26 06:16:18
    tj  ~(^-^)~
    +1
    Wow, that is screwed up
  • jay 2012/06/03 02:12:52
  • flizzhottie1984 2012/05/27 17:33:18
    flizzhottie1984
    +3
    Also I was pregnant at 22 years old with first child. Now she is 6 years old and I have other two children.

I am very shocking that she done it, I never harm,my kids during game cuz I spends lot with my kids than games.

True world is full of sicko and very sad. Im sure the little boy is with Jesus and not get hurt never again.

Her loss to lost and the picture I checked of her, she doesn't cry. That so cruelly of her has guts showing she dont care. That is unfit.mother she is!
  • Screen ... flizzho... 2013/01/20 02:44:47
    Screen name
    +11
    I hope you're not teaching your kids how to write.
  • peggyk2717 2012/05/20 20:13:18
    peggyk2717
    +4
    Just goes to show you, some people should NOT be ALLOWED to have children!
  • Deborah peggyk2717 2012/05/21 06:53:13
    Deborah
    +2
    Indeed
  • ruby 2012/05/20 03:48:30
    ruby
    +5
    i say take the game off or have a time limet thats a shame i would never do thet to any of my children
  • Deborah ruby 2012/05/20 16:20:09
    Deborah
    +1
    Most mothers would not.
  • Christopher Dresbach 2012/05/19 17:24:15
    Christopher Dresbach
    +2
    She should be killed for sure. She got to live for 22 years. Her infant son didn't get to live for half a year.
  • Deborah Christo... 2012/05/20 16:20:20
  • Pilot337 2012/05/19 01:56:52
    Pilot337
    +2
    Do you think maybe SHE would have benefited from some better parenting as a child? My point is that for all of the things we do today that requires a test or license, one of them ISN'T parenting. If you can give birth to a baby human being, that's all the qualification you need. I think we need to reconsider that. I understand the whole "nanny-state" argument, but we are rapidly overpopulating the planet with human beings who have NO COMMON SENSE, and then THOSE idiots have children. I'm open to other ideas or suggestions. I am not a parent so there's a side of this I may not see, but to me it seems simple: If you can't demonstrate that you can financially care for a child and have the intellect to do so, don't have 'em. Let the comments begin!
  • Deborah Pilot337 2012/05/20 16:21:13
    Deborah
    +2
    I think she would have benefited from abstinence. Period.
  • Pilot337 Deborah 2012/05/20 21:14:57
    Pilot337
    +2
    Do you think sterilization would have been enough? Kind of tough to enforce abstinence, what with the decline in popularity of chastity belts and all, but sterilization would ensure she at least wouldn't reproduce...
  • Screen ... Pilot337 2013/01/20 02:49:13
    Screen name
    +7
    If you think eugenics is a good thing then maybe you're the one who should not be having kids.
  • Pilot337 Screen ... 2013/01/20 05:08:24
    Pilot337
    From my original post: "I am not a parent..." What part of that didn't you understand? And just because I suggested people not always reproduce doesn't mean I support eugenics. I support common sense. Something that is sadly lacking in today's society.
  • Screen ... Pilot337 2013/01/20 21:30:32
    Screen name
    +7
    Didn't say you were a parent... simply said that maybe you shouldn't have them. You suggested forced sterilization to "ensure she at least wouldn't produce" The idea of not allowing people who you or any group of people don't consider good enough to have kids (usually by their socioeconomic status, like their education or whether they have money or not) is eugenics. I mean back when they were practicing eugenics in the U.S. they mostly did it on minorities and poor people. I guess they thought they could completely get rid of lower class people. I mean don't get me wrong I totally 100% agree with you that there is no common sense anymore and people are pretty freakin stupid, but to give that much control to the government is not a good idea. Also look how many people were born to families that were not finacially stable and those people, because of the hardships they endured, rose to be great. Some people will never get out of the lower/working class but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to have kids.
  • Chat Pilot337 2012/11/18 05:28:57
    Chat
    +4
    I'm not one to ever comment, but your comment struck a cord. I do believe there are some woman and men out there that should not be allowed to reproduce, and yet they seem to be the ones that reproduce earlier and often. In America we seem to reward this behavior, by giving more welfare money, unaccountable grant money for college, and perhaps worst of all, attention. For instance, 19 and counting "The Duggar Family", I refuse to watch this show or any like it. To me it's the same as prompting bad behavior of a screaming toddler, I would never encourage that behavior. Although, maybe I'm just bitter because I had to work 2 jobs while going to college just to pay the bills and all while accumulating educational debt because I wasn't approved for financial aid. All I can think is I was denied because I was responsible enough not to have children before I'm ready and work two jobs to take care of myself.

Sorry back to the topic at hand, sterilizing unfit human beings. While in theory I see your point, in reality it doesn't seem possible. Who would make this decision? The USA government can't take care of things financial, so I highly doubt they have the mental capacity to make this decision. And... I consider myself fit, by your requirements of financially and intellectuall...

Sorry back to the topic at hand, sterilizing unfit human beings. While in theory I see your point, in reality it doesn't seem possible. Who would make this decision? The USA government can't take care of things financial, so I highly doubt they have the mental capacity to make this decision. And... I consider myself fit, by your requirements of financially and intellectually, to be a parent, but what if this "committee" does not? Also, I'm positive this would be the most corruptible committee out there, taking bribes, making backroom deals, you name the conspiracy I'm sure it would happen.

My solution would be much like the Chinese government. I think you should be allowed two children. I think this would make people more aware of when and who they want to have children with if there is a finite amount they can have. It would probably suppress the divorce rate. It's so easy to just leave one family if you can go make another.

This is just my own theory, one in which I plan to partake in. Unfortunately, I have no faith that this would actually be regulated in the US, not in my lifetime atleast. Only when the situation becomes dire and too far gone to fix will this government attempt to step in, but by then we will be overrun by idiots who have been able to mass produce more idiots, and so it will never pass into law.

Okay, I'm done. My apologizes for my rambling cynicism, it wasn't my intention to go so far in depth. It was nice to put the theory down on virtual paper! Thank you for "listening".
  • Deborah Chat 2012/11/22 06:41:23
    Deborah
    You are quite welcome, and your answer is well thought out and concise. Thank you.
  • Screen ... Chat 2013/01/20 03:09:37
    Screen name
    +10
    1st google eugenics in the United States... it has been done and it is bad. 2nd No one has the right to tell someone when they can have kids, how many they can have, or IF they can have them at all. 3rd China's system is totally flawed and is horrible! Have you done any actual research at all on your own "theories"? China is over run with babies being put up for adoption, abortions, and INFANTICIDE!!!

While I agree that there are a lot of people who shouldn't have kids (like this woman) but these are most definitely not the answers.

Also the Duggars are not on Welfare. They haven even talked about how they don't even have any debt. The father has been said to have invested a lot of money and I believe he owns a construction business. They also get paid for having the show. They never were on any kind of government assistance. They are very religious and follow the bible which says something like every child God gives is a blessing and it's a sin or something to prevent pregnancy or to get rid of a pregnancy. As long as they support their kids who cares how many they have!
  • 2012/05/16 03:00:14
    +4
    Tit for tat. Starve her in a cell for 2 days ignoring her plees and then end her life with a slit throat.
  • dekecds 2012/05/19 18:52:22
    dekecds
    +3
    Can't we shake her to death? (though it may take longer for a grown person, but tit-for-tat as you say) It would be one of the most Just punishments in the last 100 years I think...
  • Deborah dekecds 2012/05/20 16:22:08
    Deborah
    +1
    So do i.
  • ian 2012/05/15 18:48:41
    ian
    +5
    She should've killed him when he was still in the womb, not only would she not have been charged with anything, she would've been praised for using her freedom of choice.
  • Nicole hergert 2012/05/15 11:01:10
    Nicole hergert
    +4
    I am saddened by the lack of compassion people have for this woman. What she did is terrible and I am not defending her actions but I wonder at what is missing fro her life that she looked for it in Farmville. I also wonder about how lonely and alone an furstrated she must have felt to think the only solution for getting her 3 year old to be quiet was to shake him.
    Rather than demonizing her should we not be looking at what conditions in people's lives lead them to commit acts that seem so far outside of humanity
  • dekecds Nicole ... 2012/05/19 18:54:46
    dekecds
    +1
    It's consumerism. Immediate gratification on a regular basis breeds instability that comes out when a person can't get what they have conditioned themselves to be happy with receiving. I do feel for her, but I hate the consumer mindset that plagues this country!
  • Kim USAF Nicole ... 2012/07/19 07:59:10
    Kim USAF
    +4
    Lack of compassion for the woman? Seriously? She may have been a single mother, she may have been missing things in her life, she may have been frustrated, she may have been any number of things but guess what, there are hundreds of thousands of people all over the world with less than perfect upbringing or present lives who don't choose to kill their children. For those that do, I can think of many more words besides compassion for them. Maybe she should have gotten help before it happened but she didn't, now her baby has been abused and is dead, he didn't get any compassion and nor should she.
  • Goddess... Nicole ... 2012/11/27 12:19:12
    Goddess uv Passion
    +8
    I agree, we live in a strange world, and even stranger time!..Ive done my research and I wouldnt be surprised if thee game has some type of an effect on ones mind.. its so easy for us to judge, meanwhile we have no clue to what the true story is..thats just like the "colorado shooting" incident..or the trayvon martin case..clearly these men seemed disturbed and troubled..however, they may have been "mind controlled"..of, course we dnt compute this cauz thorough education is rare!
  • Screen ... Nicole ... 2013/01/20 03:17:51
    Screen name
    +8
    You know what people have been killing people forever ok Im so over everyone saying o they were misunderstood or something must have happened to them or they had a sad childhood... None of that is an excuse. There is no excuse to murder a child... None. Some people are just @$$ holes and yea some people are unstable but either way they shouldn't be out in society. I mean let's see how much compassion you have when some guy who had a tough childhood comes and tortures and kills your kid bet you wouldn't care then. The fact of the matter is she was an adult, she knew right from wrong, she didn't care. She didn't care about her sons life. There are a million things you can do if you get overwhelmed with a baby, shaking isn't one of them. There are millions of people who had tough childhoods or who weren't loved enough and they aren't killing people. You know who I feel bad for? The innocent little boy who DIED from the ONE PERSON in the WORLD WHO SHOULD HAVE PROTECTED HIM.
  • maya_c 2012/05/14 13:24:56
    maya_c
    +4
    This is terrible, but I'm inclined to agree with Vicki Cousins on this one. We haven't got the whole story here. No one in their right mind would do something like that to their own child, and we know she has an addiction, so she was obviously not in her right mind. That doesn't excuse her actions, of course. There are a few things to consider here: was she a single parent? How much support from family, friends and community did she receive? She was a young mother, was the father still involved and supporting his family? Did he have the maturity to separate his feelings towards her (whatever they may be) with his responsibility (massively important word) as a father?
    Had she been given the support or felt like she had a right to abortion, would she have done so? As many people have validly said, there are many people out there who would do most anything to be able to conceive or to make an adoption happen. Perhaps if she thought she'd be able to put her child up for adoption?
    Does she have a history of mental health issues? Did she have post-natal depression that went undiagnosed and unnoticed?
    Its a tragedy for something like this to happen to someone as young as the little boy was. Its a tragedy when anyone's life is taken too soon.
    However, I don't think I can judge or c...
    However, I don't think I can judge or condemn her when I don't have all the facts, and when she may have been struggling with all sorts of things. This clearly is a case of a young woman who needed help, but somehow didn't get it, and the utter tragedy that resulted in the death of her child and more than one life ruined irreparably.
  • Deborah maya_c 2012/05/14 15:54:37
    Deborah
    +1
    All of those are just excuses, we most certainly can condemn her. If you know as a mother that you are ill equip to care for a child, you place that child in a more responsible persons care. Single mothers raise 1,2 3 ,5 children alone everyday, and they don't kill them. She obviously has some sort of mental illness. We know ourselves better than any one.
  • carol.d... Deborah 2012/05/29 12:18:53
    carol.dahmer.5
    +4
    I by in no means condone what this woman has done, but Maya is correct. We do not know the whole story. Deborah, if this woman did have a mental illness, as you say, then where was the support she should have been receiving? and yes many women are single parents that raise numerous children without problems. Obviously this woman wasn't one of them.

2014/10/20 18:22:11