9 arrests in wild Staten Island incident, as unruly crowd overruns cops, police say from SILIVE

Sean 2011/12/11 17:11:22
silive
50 bullies one girl staton island new york
http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2011/12/9_arrests_...

Published: Tuesday, December 06, 2011, 5:48 PM Updated: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 2:01 PM

By John M. Annese

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Firefighters came to the rescue of two police officers outnumbered in Mariners Harbor today, in a scene so chaotic that New York’s Bravest employed a truck-mounted deluge gun -- a water cannon -- to fend off the marauding group of teens.

The scene unfolded at about 3:30 p.m. in front of 83 Harbor Rd., where a large group of teenagers had amassed to confront a teenage girl who lives in the residence.

By the time it was over, two officers were sent to Richmond University Medical Center, West Brighton, for treatment, and nine teens ended up under arrest, said Inspector John Denesopolis, the 120th Precinct's commanding officer. Police also recovered a starter pistol, he said.

The officers were OK, but "banged up," Denesopolis said.

"It was chaos," said one neighbor, who lives across the street but declined to give his name, stating that he feared retaliation. "The yelling got louder and louder and louder... There was probably 50 to 55 kids out here, and they were challenging one girl."

The group was threatening the girl, yelling at her to come out and fight, witnesses told the Advance. That sparked calls to 911, and two officers, one male, the other female, arrived at the scene.

The male officer attempted to arrest a member of the crowd, and the teens turned on him, knocking him to the ground.

"The kids were on top of the cop while the cop was arresting the first person," the neighbor said.

When his female partner tried to intervene, witnesses said, she was knocked down as well. As she was being attacked, she shouted for assistance on her police radio.

9 arrests in wild Staten Island incident, as crowd overruns cops, police say9 arrests in wild Staten Island incident, as crowd overruns cops, police sayFirefighters used a water cannon to break up a wild scene on Harbor Road, blasting a marauding group of teens that were attacking two police officers who had been knocked to the ground, according to witnesses and police.Watch video"Both police officers were on the ground," said another neighbor, who also requested anonymity. "The kids were attacking them."

The scene happened just a few houses down from the FDNY's Mariners Harbor-based Engine Co. 158. The truck got to the street within moments, witnesses said, and blasted the teens with the engine's cannon-shaped deluge gun to disperse the crowd, according to witnesses. A large police presence, including an NYPD helicopter, soon followed, chasing the teens down to make several arrests.

Denesopolis praised the quick response of the firefighters, saying that he thanked the firehouse brass personally.

"They were very helpful," he said. "They were the closest emergency unit on the scene."

The crowd went to the girl's house because her mother had kept her home from Port Richmond High School for the past five days because of a bullying situation, according to Denesopolis.

"It escalated today when they came to her," he said.

The girl, who identified herself as a sophomore at the school, said the incident escalated from a "he-said, she-said" over picking sides in a gang dispute at school.

"They were waiting for me since Thursday. They wanted to get me for a he-said, she-said. They kept on calling," she said, and when the group arrived at her doorstep, they were carrying "guns, blades and knives."

The girl has a heart condition, relatives said, and at one point, one of the teens taunted her by saying, "We're gonna punch you in the chest. We're gonna fix your heart condition."

As of this afternoon, police had not released the names of the nine arrested, though they'll likely face weapon and felony assault charges, police said.

Read More: http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2011/12...

• you 2011/12/18 19:58:33
    you
    +1
    Whoa .. whoa. The group was yelling at her to come out & fight
    I think the group needs to learn a lesson or two here
    Unacceptable behaviour = community service

This is yet another bad example as to why bullying should stop
    There should be zero tolerance
  • Michael 2011/12/14 02:47:40
    Michael
    +1
    Hopefully the cops get better soon. I'm glad nothing serious happened, this bullying and these gangs are such a stupid problem, why are kids so cruel? That girl should switch over to the nearest private school.

Did the dispatchers know there were 50 teens when they only sent two cops? And the 50 kids were calling that one girl out to fight, what the hell, who the hell is gonna be dumb enough to come out of the house to fight 50 people all by one's lonesome?

The school and the troublemaker's parents should discipline them good.
  • Independent Thinker 2011/12/13 03:00:10
    Independent Thinker
    +1
    Bullying is a terrible phenomenon in this country.

When you add disrespect for the law....this is where it leads.

When I read the article I thought of the girl and the older folk, young children, etc. watching this unfold. When the pack turns on one this is where it leads.

I'm sure there were signs prior to this incident (e.g. at school, in the neighborhood, etc.). People must be proactive and nip situations (similiar to this one) before they explode.
  • Eccles 2011/12/12 12:49:28 (edited)
    Eccles
    +1
    This disgusts me to the core what the hell is wrong with those kids it defies explanation.
  • johnnie.prewett 2011/12/12 11:50:57
    johnnie.prewett
    +1
    welfare + public housing = criminal factories
  • Monolith johnnie... 2011/12/12 14:47:50
    Monolith
    Bad parents - bad kids!
  • Erok 2011/12/12 10:03:03
    Erok
    +2
    I say find all 55 and throw their sorry butts in the slammer !!!
  • whitebear62 2011/12/12 03:57:19
    whitebear62
    +2
    We are worried about our economy, so why weren't all of them at least fined. I think rioting and conspiracy to riot and assault (Yes, it can be verbal) and conspiracy to assault would bring a fair amount of fine money in at the very least.
    +4
    Unreal that such a huge crowd would be allowed to be after ONE girl...

Can you say "pathetic"???
  • Sadisticon 2011/12/11 21:47:43
    Sadisticon
    +3
    I blame gangster rap, poor parenting, poor schools, poor socio-economic structure, the Poor, Standard and Poor's, poor hygiene, poor language... but NOT the poor bullies who felt it was okay to join a mob and act a ass (simpleton).
  • Sandy 2011/12/11 20:44:10 (edited)
  • mike 2011/12/11 19:57:48
    mike
    +2
    Oh man they got to use water connons! Those Fire Fighters musta been having a blast and I applaud them loudly! That was the appropriate response to a bunch of animals! Soakem down, knockem down and arrest them all. Them make their folks pay big fines for raising animals!
  • Mindy 2011/12/11 19:46:29
    Mindy
    +4
    Every last one of them should be arrested!
    +7
    Maybe now the schools will understand that bullies these days won't stop at pushing and shoving anymore.
  • cindy 2011/12/11 19:36:44
    cindy
    +6
    This is just the start of this kind of behavior, it's been going on all over america since he has been elected and it will get much worse next year is my prediction !
  • Willie cindy 2011/12/13 03:14:36
    Willie
    +1
    Before Obama was elected there was no bullying and no rioting?

Sorry, but you're really reaching here. I grew up in that neighborhood, and we had riots there during the Johnson, Nixon, Carter and Reagan administrations. It's a rough place. At Port Richmond High School, they don't care who the president is.
  • marcie 2011/12/11 18:57:38
    marcie
    +6
    Is there no place safe to live anymore? No big cities for me ever!!!
  • Hobbitt / Oldsquid 2011/12/11 18:51:27
    Hobbitt / Oldsquid
    +9
    Mob mentality ALL should have been arrested and jailed for inciting to riot.
  • mustangluver 2011/12/11 18:49:38
    mustangluver
    +6
    To think that was once a really beautiful place to live..I know ppl all over the Island and went there many times..it was beautiful and peaceful. It's unimaginable that there are now gangs disrupting society there..and no one is ever going to tell me gangsta rap isn't a contributing factor in the mentality of kids today..these kids should be punished as adults.
  • ETpro 2011/12/11 18:30:10
    ETpro
    +8
    Let's hear it for FDNY and their quick thinking. It could have been much uglier if the firemen hadn't beem close by and acted to save those two officers.
  • I NEED A HORSE 2011/12/11 17:49:04
  • Eccles I NEED ... 2011/12/12 12:53:43
    Eccles
    +1
    In my country they gang rape lesbians and even beat them to death afterwards. Rape Babies believing it will cure Aids. The World seems to have gone insane.
  • I NEED ... Eccles 2011/12/12 13:04:35
  • Michael Eccles 2011/12/14 02:50:53
    Michael
    +1
    What country is that?
  • Eccles Michael 2011/12/14 04:43:42
    Eccles
    South Africa
  • Michael Eccles 2011/12/15 22:57:27
    Michael
    +1
    oh. Okay.
  • BoomLover 2011/12/11 17:39:51
    BoomLover
    +9
    Don't stop with only 9 arrests...all 50 to 55 of them should be arrested.........Book 'em, Dano!
  • Happy 2011/12/11 17:19:38
    Happy
    +3
    there is actual news from Staten Island!!!!!! We were mentioned :)
  • Autarchic 2011/12/11 17:18:56
    Autarchic
    +6
    Teens today don't have a brain.
  • Michael Autarchic 2011/12/14 02:51:33

2014/11/01 07:43:08