9 – 12 – 10 Taxpayer March on Washington DC (A participant’s perspective)

Informed Voter 2010/09/19 15:30:43

Our bus left for DC in a light misty rain around 7 am that morning. The damp weather couldn’t dampen our spirits and it was a feeling shared by all who’d brave their own respective journeys as we were about to find out. We had no idea how many would attend this year’s event and it was an estimate the arrival of our bus to the parking garage of Union Station would not reveal.

But the overwhelming number of people who did attend would be encouraging to us, and to the dismay of the political elites and the state-sponsoring media who continually dismiss us.

We gathered our merry band of 43 First State Patriot members and made the trek from Union Station along “Delaware” Avenue to the West lawn of the Capital. After securing our spot near the stage, several of us made our way along Constitution Avenue to the staging area for the start of the march near the Washington Monument.

The scope of this event was a pleasant surprise as we got closer to the gathering. We could hear the voice of Reverend C. L. Bryant booming through the sound system as he addressed a growing throng that sported all manner of signs, flags and attire.

As we assimilated into the crowd, the Rev Bryant began his fiery speech and got everyone pumped up and ready to march. Even as we started off on 14th street for our turn onto Pennsylvania Avenue, the crowd was highly motivated not only by the speech, but by each other!

We were no longer alone!

People from all over the country proudly carried their state’s flags, their shirts adorned with the logo of their respective organizations, and they radiated determination that grew with the knowledge that all communities from small hamlets to large cities came for the same shared purpose: To reaffirm the dominion of We the People over those who serve us; the politicians who are nothing more than public servants. And as such, it is We the People who demand that they return to the document that limits the scope of their power, influence and enumerates exactly what to spend our taxpayer money on.

And to date, they’ve abused thatprivilege!

Spectators along with event staff in their yellow hats and tee-shirts lined the streets as chants of “Nan-cy,” “Ha-rry,” and “We’re Baaaaak,” issued from the crowd and echoed off of the buildings into the ears of all present.

At one point along the route, we passed the Newseum. Ironically, the full left side of the building’s façade contains the words of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution carved into its stone face.

I say Ironic, because although the media has free reign to report as they see fit, to date (and today would be no exception) they have not covered the Tea Parties or 9-12 events with any objectivity or without undo hostility or prejudice. (If they had, I wouldn’t have to write down this narrative to demonstrate what they grossly misreported.)

A thin line of people who populated the observation deck above that building looked down upon our procession. Suddenly, a lone, clear voice just forward of us started to recite those words on the wall. It didn’t take long before the entire crowed picked up the words in a growing chorus that resembled a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. As the echo of the last spoken word died down, someone else stared a new chant, directly aimed at the Newseum building’s occupants:

“Read-the-Wall!”

As we weaved our way past those who had already claimed their spots, we finally found ours. I could see the gathering picking up more and more people. Gadsden flags, Old Glory, Navy Jacks and a host of variations to the Star Spangled Banner and other historic flags were populating the grounds.

After a brief introduction by Freedom Works President, Matthew Kibbe, a young woman approached the microphone to sing our National Anthem. Her small frame harbored an unexpectedly powerful soprano voice as her soul-stirring rendition pierced the heart of all present. Rev C.L. Bryant began what would be a pleasant afternoon of motivational speakers, with the Pledge of Allegiance. Each successive speaker discussed the various elements of the Contract From America, as well as a brief description of their organizations and anecdotes as to why they felt they could no longer stand idly by and watch the abuse of power in our nation’s Capital.

Inspiring and motivational speeches by Tito Munoz of the Conservative Hispanic Coalition, Ana Puig from Kitchen Table Patriots, to Deneen Borelli from Project 21, and Andrew Breitbart who challenged the media to cover the “600 people” who showed up, (He was kidding of course, the actual count was closer to 150 to 200 thousand!) and finally ended with a prayer from Rev Bryant.

Musical guests included Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin bros.

And the excitement wasn’t limited to the stage. Little things, inconsequential to the media, were happening among us that would never see ink on a newspaper or been given consideration of any time by an elite media broadcast; but were just as poignant to the telling of a COMPLETE story of this magnitude.

There were 3 women who toured the crowd who dared to wear burkas! But what made them so memorable was that all three of them wore burkas that were Red, White, and Blue!

And then, it happened. With as charged as the crowd was with all the speakers, it was a photo journalist who actually brought the most heart-felt emotion from me.

They were imbedded in the sea of people doing their job, focusing on taking pictures of the event with their 35mm digital cameras and telephoto lenses. Most of us took scant notice of them as they moved about the crowd.

But this one photographer grabbed my interest as he turned his back toward me to shoot a new subject. He had the usual camera bag, the omnipresent press pass and what looked like a black harness or camelback. I couldn’t really tell, because the article of cloth he had affixed over it commanded my attention.

It was a blue star flag. However, what made such an emotional impact on me was that below the one blue star were two gold ones!

For the uninitiated, blue star flags first came into use around 1917. The significance of the blue star, centered on a white rectangular field bordered in red was to indicate that a family member was serving in the military at the front during WWI (now, it indicates that a family member is deployed in support of current operations). A silver star means that a serving family member was wounded in action and a gold star means that a serving family member was killed in action. Multiple stars mean multiple family members and can all be on the same flag.

As he turned to face me, I unhesitatingly reached over to take his hand. At first he was surprised, but then understood as I stated, “I sincerely appreciate the personal sacrifices your family has made to keep our country safe.”

The group of people behind me who witnessed this exchange, seemed puzzled at first, until I explained the significance of that piece of cloth on his back. Understanding washed over them and our photo journalist, who was there to document a story, became the story! He was surrounded by well-wishers and questions as to how he came to lose his two family members.

The event ended as it began; with a prayer for our country and for all who would take up the responsibility to ensure we never again lapse into acceptance that our government walks alone in determining our fate! If we ignore what they do in our name, we lose what the founders’ intended for us; “A republic madam, if you can keep it!” – Ben Franklin.

A physically tired, but an emotionally revitalized group made their way back to Union Station to catch the bus back to Delaware, with renewed appreciation for daunting task that lay before us.

We all understand now, that the price of Freedom—is eternal vigilance!

We the People, in support of our "republic," are prepared to remain vigilant against our enemies (foreign and domestic) to KEEP IT!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuzzlMvRu_8?fs=1&hl;=en_US">&l...; name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuzzlMvRu_8?fs=1&hl;=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuzzlMvRu_8&feature;=related

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tE25Mtt3isE?fs=1&hl;=en_US">&l...; name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tE25Mtt3isE?fs=1&hl;=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE25Mtt3isE&feature;=related

• Cat 2010/09/22 00:02:55
    Cat
    +3
    I am so touched by your bus trip.......It must of been so wonderful......And even the weather could not deter your journey......May God surly bless you & all those who attended that day........We the citizens always rise to the occasion.......Thank You

• Cat 2010/09/22 00:02:55
    Cat
    +3
  • Informe... Cat 2010/09/22 21:06:11
    Informed Voter
    +3
    Thanks Cat! The only thing that would have made the day perfect is if I was able to meet all the SH's who either was there, or wanted to be there!
  • Cat Informe... 2010/09/23 00:02:27
    Cat
    +3
    Oh yes that would of been a blast to meet in person.....Maybe next time you can plan to meet other SH at a certain location take a sign SH.....LOL
    I would of loved to have gone.......It sounds so wonderful.......I was there with you in spirit my friend..
  • Col.TJefferson1775 2010/09/20 19:05:34
    Col.TJefferson1775
    +3
    Great !! Wish Id ave been there but had to go to see some Frogs...french that day!
  • Informe... Col.TJe... 2010/09/20 21:21:58
    Informed Voter
    +3
    If we were able to attend, it was because YOU helped us stand on YOUR shoulders, sir!

It's The Soldier
    -Father D. E. O'Brien

It's the soldier, not the reporter
    Who has given us freedom of the PRESS.

It's the soldier, not the poet,
    Who has given us freedom of SPEECH.

It's the soldier, not the campus organizer,
    Who has given us the freedom to DEMONSTRATE.

It's the soldier, not the lawyer,
    Who has given us the right to a FAIR TRIAL.

It's the soldier who salutes the flag,
    Serves under the flag
    And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
    Who gives the protester the right to burn the flag.
    ref: http://www.tircuit.com/bandof...
  • Col.TJe... Informe... 2010/09/23 20:08:52
    Col.TJefferson1775
    +3
    Thank you for what you said not often that I hear this.
    Been a long time since I read what Fr. O'Brian said.
    You would think that at some point our government would finally get things right as to how to treat all Veterans. So far none over the course many years have. Bits and peices ...crumbs if you would are handed to us and the joke is still on us with the fool that Obama has put in charge of OUR VA!
    A friend wrote a bloge here on SH awhile back (he is deactivated jscusmc69) titled 18Million Strong I remember seeing this but don't know if it is still available. Will send him a message and see if he still has it then see if I can post it again.
    Once again THANK YOU and
    Semper Fi
  • Informe... Col.TJe... 2010/09/23 20:13:41
    Informed Voter
    +3
    Those who still share your uniform know and will always know. Those who never donned our nation's uniform will NEVER understand.

And this poem was written by me a year after I retired from the AF. It is dedicated to all first responders, and of course, people like YOU!

Thank you sir for keeping... The Promise!

The Promise

With raised right hand, a solemn oath
    With most gravest of meaning,
    Your family safe, your speech assured
    A promise sworn I’m keeping.
    At eighteen-ten or three-oh-six
    On duty I shall be,
    For bad news has no timetable
    And you must count on me.
    The uniform I doff today
    I don at morning’s shave,
    The heart that beats inside the blue
    Is steadfast, true, and brave.
    I don’t suppose you’ll understand
    The sacrifice I make,
    For people who have never served
    And the liberties they take,
    To say or do outlandish things
    Our country’s guarantee,
    But have you ever stopped to think
    You can, because of me.
    Should the call go out today
    I am prepared to go,
    I only ask support should be
    The only thing you show.
    War is not a pleasant thing
    The body count will rise,
    Warriors will kill and die
    The warriors on both sides.
    Should I die in duty’s throes
    Then that’s alright by me,
    But don’t profane my sacrifice
    With less than victory,
    Nor act again...

The Promise

With raised right hand, a solemn oath
    With most gravest of meaning,
    Your family safe, your speech assured
    A promise sworn I’m keeping.
    At eighteen-ten or three-oh-six
    On duty I shall be,
    For bad news has no timetable
    And you must count on me.
    The uniform I doff today
    I don at morning’s shave,
    The heart that beats inside the blue
    Is steadfast, true, and brave.
    I don’t suppose you’ll understand
    The sacrifice I make,
    For people who have never served
    And the liberties they take,
    To say or do outlandish things
    Our country’s guarantee,
    But have you ever stopped to think
    You can, because of me.
    Should the call go out today
    I am prepared to go,
    I only ask support should be
    The only thing you show.
    War is not a pleasant thing
    The body count will rise,
    Warriors will kill and die
    The warriors on both sides.
    Should I die in duty’s throes
    Then that’s alright by me,
    But don’t profane my sacrifice
    With less than victory,
    Nor act against this chartered course
    If harms way I am found,
    For I may hear your discontent
    While I’m on foreign ground.
    Remind yourselves I chose this life
    I realize what’s at stake,
    But traffic deaths and murder stats
    Are hard for me to take.
    Citizens who swore no oaths
    Who have no wars to fight,
    Are claimed in the hundreds every day,
    Yet no outrage in sight.
  • Col.TJe... Informe... 2010/09/23 20:17:30
    Col.TJefferson1775
    +2
    All I have to say is..........."OUTSTANDING"
  • Dave 2010/09/20 18:37:16
    Dave
    +2
    good stuff
  • Phillip 2010/09/20 05:17:56
    Phillip
    +2
    Excellent, I wish I could have been there.
  • Informe... Phillip 2010/09/20 21:22:42
    Informed Voter
    +2
    You were! And you continue to be present each and every time you post!
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2010/09/20 03:38:28
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Wow, I didn't know you were going back! I wish I could have attended but I unfortunately can't go everywhere.
  • gary 2010/09/19 23:34:53 (edited)
    gary
    +1
    I suggested to Kyle that he draft a bill to allow the voters of a) districts for reps b) states for senators and c) the nation for presidents and ALL others at federal posts with a glolden parachute "retirement" package that the people be allowed to vote yeah or nay whether they collect on that package based upon their character and if they followed Constitutional guidlines while in office with integrity and "minimal" lobbist bribes (NONE). To be included in the bill would have made becoming a lobbyist after gummunt "service" illegal.

SENT AS AN E-MAIL TO HIM i HAVE NEVER HEARD BACK ABOUT THE SUGGESTION.
  • Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥ 2010/09/19 21:49:52
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +3
    Very good ,,you rock rock
  • Annette 2010/09/19 21:39:19
    Annette
    +3
    Absolutely wonderful, informed voter! Thank you.
  • Angel 2010/09/19 20:49:50
    Angel
    +3
    very awesome IV, after reading this my own spirit is renewed to continue to do all I can for our Nation...that is a very compelling story about the media/camera man...
    and it is a uplifting story of our American Patriots all around the world... Thank You
  • Informe... Angel 2010/09/19 22:09:55
    Informed Voter
    +2
    You're quite welcome, Angel! It would have been a capper to my day if you were there also! I would love to have met you again! You're the Heat!!!!
  • Angel Informe... 2010/09/19 22:14:57
    Angel
    +2
    It would have been great to have been there... Thank You...
  • jin 2010/09/19 20:44:07
    jin
    +3
    Nice post. It was a great day. So many wonderful people and wonderful stories. 9-12 -10 was my fifth trip to DC, and I never get tired of talking to all the great folks who come from all over the country. They are good people who are down to earth and hard working, as no doubt you are.
  • Informe... jin 2010/09/19 22:08:45
    Informed Voter
    +2
    Awww, the only disappointing part was not meeting more SH folks like you this time!

I had a chance to meet Angel at the Restore Honor Rally in August and it was a rare privilege indeed! She's awesome!

2014/10/23 15:01:04