8.5 MILLION Leave Workforce During Obama's 4 Years: Unemployment Rises To 7.9%.

zbacku 2013/02/01 18:36:08
Care To Comment?
What Do You Think?
True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
We Are Doomed.
It's Bush's Fault.

8.5 Million Americans Left Labor Force In Obama's First Term

By Noel Sheppard

The Bureau of Labor Statistics released jobs numbers for January Friday showing that nonfarm payroll employment increased by 157,000 and the unemployment rate rose to 7.9 percent.

Lost in these headline numbers was another rise in the number of people not in the labor force.

This number now stands at a staggering 89 million, up from 80.5 million when President Obama took office.

This means that there are currently 8.5 million more Americans not in the labor force than just four years ago.

Forget all the other numbers.

This continued explosion of people not in the labor force should be tremendously concerning as it represents an obstacle for the government to ever balance the budget without drastically raising taxes on those still working.

Read More: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/02...

• Dave 2013/02/01 19:53:44
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    Dave
    +7
    The 7.9% unemployment figure is absurd because it does not count any who has is no longer looking for work. And just how long can this Ponzi scheme endure before the dollar collapses ? We simply cannot continue to support almost 90 million unemployed people.

• schjaz 2013/02/25 18:13:01
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    schjaz
    No surprise there.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/02 14:51:40
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Democrats caused the mess and they are not competent enough to fix it either.
  • westernslope~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/02 12:02:36
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    can you imagine if the president wasn't loved by the media how much air time this would be getting?
  • ruralntex 2013/02/02 11:21:43
    Care To Comment?
    ruralntex
    I heard a Democrat talking head comment today that 8.5 million is just about exactly how many people retired and started receiving Social Security benefits. My knee jerk reaction is to suspect that he is full of shyt, but I can't prove or disprove that just yet. However, this inquiring mind will entertain the thought.
    Care To Comment?
    WHERE are all the "Jobs Jobs Jobs...." the Republicans promised?
  • Torchma... Lady Wh... 2013/02/02 14:25:27
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    We HAD all those jobs before the Democrat mortgage meltdown tanked the economy.
  • zbacku Lady Wh... 2013/02/02 21:25:48
    zbacku
    I don't know if you notice it or not. The Democrats CONTROLLED the Congress for two full years, and now have controlled the Senate for 4 years. All the while Obama, let me guess, who is a Democrat as been president for those same 4 years.
  • Charles R. Anderson 2013/02/02 08:47:27
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    Charles R. Anderson
    +2
    Obama has clearly destroyed many jobs already. ObamaCare will make what are now many 40 hour a week jobs into less than 30 hour a week jobs. Some of the unemployed will be hired to work these part-time jobs and he will pretend to be a hero, even as the total hours worked will drop and the GDP will drop.
  • Tattoo Nana 2013/02/02 05:26:34
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    Tattoo Nana
    +2
    I feel like the numbers are officially low. Where I live, the percentage is MUCH higher. There is not much in the lines of manufacturing, plenty of service industry and military. As the military members are getting out of the service, they have no work and many are going to college, which is good. There is also a lot of Cash labor work here, and most of that is gone so all those folks are out of work too, just not on any charts.
  • observer 2013/02/02 01:33:45
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    observer
    +2
    The real unemployment is at least 20%. And it's growing.
  • Kiosk Kid 2013/02/02 00:06:34
    Care To Comment?
    Kiosk Kid
    +1
    There will be at least that many during the next four years.
  • Space Invader 2013/02/01 23:14:09
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    Space Invader
    +6
    tell me about it........and as we keep moving more and more of our jobs to illegals in countries not the USA..it's gonna get a lot worse
    gonna take heat for my opinion; but F 'em anyway
  • Tattoo ... Space I... 2013/02/02 05:28:02
    Tattoo Nana
    +1
    No heat from me, I agree with you :)
  • mac9 2013/02/01 22:43:12
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    mac9
    +3
    Employment has no priority with Obama. food stamp president obama
  • ProudPr... mac9 2013/02/01 23:48:09
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    Yeah, I guess that's why he has added over 5 million jobs and seen job gains for 36 consecutive months.
  • mac9 ProudPr... 2013/02/25 15:20:26
    mac9
    Where?
  • rewald.roza.9 2013/02/01 22:08:40
    Care To Comment?
    rewald.roza.9
    +1
    me 2 i need employet
  • susan 2013/02/01 21:59:17
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    susan
    +3
    The numbers are much higher than that. The 2008 financial crisis cost 8.3 million jobs alone. The increase in the number of working-age Americans is about 200,000 per month, so every month that less than 200,000 new jobs are not created, more people are not employed. Since Obama took office, each month the employment numbers have been less than that, so there has been a loss of 50,000 or so each month.
    In addition, a study of wages across the nation would indicate that the average wage has dropped and more are working part time and temporary jobs.
    Factor in the subjective methods used by the government to determine the "unemployment rate" and the damages are much, much worse.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2013/02/01 21:19:15
    What Do You Think?
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    I think this president pays lip service to helping create jobs most of which should be in the private sector as he advances a liberal agenda that gives amnesty to illegals and centralizes control of citizens rights! More problematic is we very simply cannot afford his agenda!
  • "Shooter" ™ 2013/02/01 20:57:28
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    "Shooter" ™
  • sbtbill 2013/02/01 20:18:40
    Care To Comment?
    sbtbill
    I've been saying for well over a year budget cuts cut jobs. For those of you who have trouble putting 2 and 2 together fewer jobs mean a worse economy.

I haven't been as clear about defense spending, but I have pointed out that both FDR and Reagan used defense spending to hype the economy. Let me make sure I'm clear. Spending money on defense creates jobs. Cutting defense spending cuts jobs. Cutting jobs means a worse economy. This does not mean we need wars. You just have to build the stuff, its expensive to use it.

The Republicans have shot themselves in the foot by hiding some of the problem. Cutting unemployment benefits means less demand and a poorer economy and it means that people who can't find a job fall of the stated unemployment roles. Thus the real unemployment rate stays the same while the official unemployment rate goes down. It was the Republican and the tea party folks who demanded we do that.

It's not government but it is state governors who have been pushing down unions and wages. That means less money to spend. That means a poorer economy. Once again we are reaping what the right planted.

Fox doesn't get it. Paul Pot Ryan and the Republicans are the engine driving budget cuts. It is the Republican austerity program that is damaging the economy.

Obama's ...

Obama's complicity is that he seems to like the idea of cutting spending, raising the retirement age and other things that will hurt the economy. The man is a blue dog even if you Republicans don't think so.

The Road to Serfdom is not overspending it is poverty and a bad economy causes povert
  • tdterry... sbtbill 2013/02/01 20:29:09
    tdterry1999
    +2
    Should we put everyone on the government's payroll?
  • sbtbill tdterry... 2013/02/01 20:39:50
    sbtbill
    Let's not be extreme. There is a place for private industry.
  • tdterry... sbtbill 2013/02/01 20:43:55
    tdterry1999
    +3
    I begining to think not in your world.
  • sbtbill tdterry... 2013/02/01 21:20:13
    sbtbill
    Modern socialist believe in a mixed economy.

For instance competition works in small local business in most cases besides cable TV. On the other hand with about 10 big banks nation wide the competition argument falls apart and so does the bureaucracy argument. There is hardly any competition and a bureaucracy is a bureaucracy.
  • Torchma... sbtbill 2013/02/02 14:35:07
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    History proves that socialism does not work. Socialists in this country are hypocrites because they get paychecks from free market capitalist companies, then turn around and talk trash about the hand that feeds them.
    Look at China. China has turned to capitalism to recover from some of the damage from their version of failed socialist policies.
  • The Lib... sbtbill 2013/02/01 23:00:48 (edited)
    The Lib Hater
    +3
    It's shocking to many of us how many people just don't get it. By that I mean how 0bama's policies are destroying the economic fiber of our country and it's effecting everything, even the social programs that you freeloaders love so much, and that's why these people voted for him. Not knowing that soon all those programs are going to disappear because the money will not be there as a result of 0bama's policies. Add in the number of AT LEAST 11 million plus family reunification "Amnestie" all needing social spending all at once, and add in 88 million people not in the work force, 7.9% unemployment, along with 46 million people on food stamps, I just have to ask you sbtbill, where is the money going to come from? We all know 0bama doesn't believe in the Free Enterprise System so it sure as hell ain't coming from there. Now, I feel like laughing, so let's see it. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE TEA PARTY. I SURE AS HELL DON'T WANT TO SEE BUSH's NAME. Just one simple question....HOW WILL THAT BILL GET PAID? Don't pull that 1% crap either because all of there income won't even put a dent in it. MMM, can we say PIVEN AND CLOWARD?
  • dubbie 2013/02/01 20:10:12
    True Unemployment Is MUCH Higher.
    dubbie
    +4
    Funny now that he was sworn in, as imposter for another four years umemployment rises along with the price of gas , America cannot take four more years of this
  • ProudProgressive 2013/02/01 20:02:45
    It's Bush's Fault.
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    It's amazing how hard the Right Wing Media is trying (and failing) to find some way to put a negative spin on a clearly positive jobs report. We gained jobs for the 36th consecutive month, we added over two million jobs last year alone, we have already added more jobs in four years than we did in eight years under Bush, the unemployment rate is down over 2 full points from the Bush high of 10%, and there are more people employed in the private sector today than there were four years ago. In fact, the main thing that is keeping this recovery from being even stronger is cuts in public sector employment largely the result of Republican state legislatures.

And "people not in the labor force" is a bullsh*t statistic to boot. People leave the labor force for numerous reasons - like retirement, relocation, disability, etc. The figure also includes people who have never been in the labor force at all, like Mitt Romney's children, Charles Koch's children, Rupert Murdoch's children, etc. This type of spin tries to make it seem like every one of those 89 million people (and the use of the word "staggering" is hilarious) are people who had a job four years ago and don't today.

Despite Right Wing spinning, our economy continues to improve, and the American people know it.
  • sbtbill ProudPr... 2013/02/01 20:30:15
    sbtbill
    The economy is a mixed bag. You are to optimistic on it. Many of the righties here are to negative on. Overall it is slowly getting better, particularly for upper income folks. For many it is getting worse and that tends to mean that if you were lower income you are in worse shape.
  • ProudPr... sbtbill 2013/02/01 20:50:50
    ProudProgressive
    I realize that the picture is not all rosy, and yes I do tend to be optimistic about our economy. I think we clearly are moving in the right direction, but we are moving slowly and every road has bumps in it.
  • Lady Wh... ProudPr... 2013/02/02 10:54:25
    It's going along like a one-legged snail! Needs to be way faster.
  • tdterry... ProudPr... 2013/02/01 20:30:36
    tdterry1999
    +2
    UE numbers go up and you claim it's a good thing.Talk about spin.
  • ProudPr... tdterry... 2013/02/01 20:52:46
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    When people who have stopped looking for work begin to look for work again I do consider that a good thing. It indicates that there are more jobs available and it indicates that the population is getting more confident in our sustained recovery. When people are more confident they tend to spend a little more, which in turn further stimulates economic growth.
  • tdterry... ProudPr... 2013/02/02 10:30:35
    tdterry1999
    So they lied about how many was out of work.
  • keeper ProudPr... 2013/02/01 20:41:14
    keeper
    +2
    You are mistaken. The highest unemployment ever got with Bush was 7.2%
    http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2...
  • ProudPr... keeper 2013/02/01 20:55:21
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    The unemployment rate hit 10.0% in October, 2009, the end of Bush's last fiscal year and just about the point that stimulus funds began to kick in. Since then we have had almost unbroken job growth.

Please don't try to pretend that if someone lost their job on January 21, 2009 that's President Obama's "fault." In any new administration it takes at least six months for the new administration to affect the economy in any significant manner. For instance, in February 2009 the economy lost about 700,000 jobs. Those numbers go in Bush's column.
  • keeper ProudPr... 2013/02/01 21:10:02
    keeper
    +2
    Bush was out of office in January 2009. It was all obama from there.
  • ProudPr... keeper 2013/02/01 23:06:07
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    It doesn't work that way. The American economy is like an ocean liner. It doesn't turn on a dime. It takes a long time to change direction. And once that turn came, it has been a fairly straight line in an upward direction ever since.
  • RED DAWN ProudPr... 2013/02/01 22:45:47
    RED DAWN
    +1
    Didn't the Dems take control of the house and senate in Jan.2007. If you looked at his link you would see that's when the unemployment start up.

2014/10/31 08:39:49