83% of doctors have considered quitting their practices because of "ObamaCare." Would you want to be a doctor under "ObamaCare"?

KoAm 2012/07/12 14:41:29

• Rebel Yell 2012/07/12 18:03:44
    Other: _____
    Rebel Yell
    The problem is, no one wants to practice primary care because compensation is lower and the hours are long. Doctors train for a minimum of 14 years and many take on loans to get through medical school. Where are they going to go after they quit? WalMart greeter?

The post says 83% of doctors will quit. What is does not mention is that survey included less than 700 doctors while there are many thousands in the USA . For decades, Big Pharma and Big Insurance have been entrenched in the Lincoln Bedroom. Get rid of that and watch things improve for everyone.
  • Grandbr... Rebel Yell 2012/07/12 18:51:53
    Grandbrother
    "The problem is, no one wants to practice primary care because compensation is lower and the hours are long"

And to your point, if you go to the results of the study itself, you find that of those surveyed: "Most are in solo or small group practice (81%) and office-based (89%) versus hospital-based (11%)" http://www.doctorsandpatients...

They also gave answers such as: “The best chance for controlling cost is limiting government interference and increasing patient responsibility for cost. If the patient pays at time of service and files an insurance claim on their own, it reduces the likelihood of superfluous utilization, AND reduces insurance company denials since the patient is following up on their own claim. Also, removing insurance purchasing from employers makes insurers responsible to policy holder, not employers.”

Am I the only one that this sounds wrong to? I'm to pay up front and then appeal to my insurance for reimbursement? How precisely would that work in a situation such as the spinal surgery I had a couple years back? I should have ponied up over $100,000 while experiencing the worst, most debilitating pain of my life, and then spent my recovery time dealing with insurance claim forms and making phone call after phone call to follow up and hope they'd pay me back ...

Am I the only one that this sounds wrong to? I'm to pay up front and then appeal to my insurance for reimbursement? How precisely would that work in a situation such as the spinal surgery I had a couple years back? I should have ponied up over $100,000 while experiencing the worst, most debilitating pain of my life, and then spent my recovery time dealing with insurance claim forms and making phone call after phone call to follow up and hope they'd pay me back when I have no point of reference to work from or established organization to back me up? Sorry, but that sounds like an awful idea.
  • Soup Man 2012/07/12 16:25:52
    Other: _____
    Soup Man
    NFW
    Thanks for the "Other" :D
  • The Duke 2012/07/12 15:34:45
    No, I wouldn't want to be a doc under ObamaCare. It's going to be bad enough...
    The Duke
    +1
    Doctors already spend too much time with non-medical issues in running their practices. 0bamacare will increase that factor considerably. I could/would not fault them for retiring from their practice because of it.

I consider not having to deal with it the only good thing about my own recent retirement from the healthcare profession (nurse).
  • Striker 2012/07/12 15:25:26
    Striker
    +2
    This will be a GREAT kickoff for the ZeroCare squeeze the gonads service.
  • Philo-Publius 2012/07/12 15:13:20
    Other: _____
    Philo-Publius
    +2
    “...America will face a shortage of at least 90,000 doctors by 2020. The new health care law increases demand for physicians by expanding insurance coverage.”

“One of our primary concerns is that you’ve got an aging physician workforce and you have these new beneficiaries — these newly insured people — coming through the system...”

I'm sorry, but I am not a social Darwinist. Before I'd leave millions of people without medical care, I would take a look at eliminating the for-profit system altogether. Certainly I would, at minimum, support efforts to help these additional 90,000 doctors into the practice in the next eight years, if that is indeed what's needed: government grants, subsidies, tax breaks... we have a lot of tools at our disposal. It almost sounds though like conservatives are not interested in bettering or maintaining the current quality of care for those who already have coverage by any other means than continuing to deny it to those who don't.
  • KoAm Philo-P... 2012/07/12 15:38:20
    KoAm
    +2
    Right. Just whip up some government grants and subsidies in a country whose government is already broke three ways to Sunday.

Excuse the cliche, but money doesn't grow on trees.

And conservatives are not "denying coverage to those who don't have it."

I'm getting tired of the liberal "conservatives don't care" arguments. They're tired. They're old. They're mean-spirited and hateful. And most of all, they're wrong.
  • Mr. T 2012/07/12 15:02:19
    Other: _____
    Mr. T
    I seriously doubt any doctors are going to stop making millions. They will limit or not take on any more medicare / medicaid patients but give up their practice and become truck drivers or Walmart greeters, no way.
  • Roger47 2012/07/12 14:57:50 (edited)
    Other: _____
    Roger47
    +2
    Why is it this BS survey keeps getting posted several times a day on SH? The survey is from a group with a name that makes it sound nice, but it is a group that was formed only a few montha ago specifically to help the Republican Party demonize Obamacare. Its founders are associated with ALEC, the group that writes right wing legislation for state Republican politicians to try to get made into law, including the laws designed to prevent the poor from voting.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/in...
    +1
    I’m not “opposed to health care,” I’m opposed to destroying the best health care system in the world. Some say healthcare is a “right.” The only rights are our Unalienable Rights and it is the role of government to protect these Rights. Under the illusion of healthcare being a “right,” enslaves the healthcare professionals to the dictates of the government interfering with their Unalienable Rights as in the freedom in exercising their professional decisions. The nature of humanity is to seek liberty, especially for those who spend a good percentage of their life studying a profession. The healthcare industry is evolving in the US to be in bondage of government. Perhaps, one will find more freedom in another profession. Hence, the quality and quantity of healthcare professionals is a function of their Unalienable Rights and the empirical data shows contrast between free markets relative to socialistic systems.
  • Roger47 Mike 2012/07/12 14:59:30
    Roger47
    +2
    How can a system be the best in the world if a significant part of the population is not covered?
  • Mike Roger47 2012/07/12 17:16:05
    Forced healthcare coverage through socialism does not guarantee quality care and availability to care within critical time windows when one has a serious condition. The free market is the best way. There are many having serious conditions throughout the world come to the US for high quality health technology. Now with Obamacare that will soon change.

As for “a significant part of the population is not covered.” In the US no one can be turn a way from an emergency room by law and that is the way it’s been for many years. Most of this “population” you are talking about decided not to have coverage by choice. Many of us pay as we go along. Now I am forced to pay through Obamacare. What, then, became of my freedom and the freedom of those healthcare professionals through the dictate of government?
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/07/12 14:47:21

2014/11/01 12:31:30