5th Grader Banned From Giving Speech Supporting Marriage Equality

bricklyn 2012/06/16 23:07:55

A New York City fifth grader’s winning speech in favor of marriage
equality will never be heard by his classmates after his school’s
principal deemed it inappropriate.

Kameron Slade won a class competition and was scheduled to deliver
his speech at PS 195 in Queens. However, because the speech was to be
about same-sex couples, his principal told Slade he would be removed
from the contest if he did not choose a different topic.

NY1 reports
that after winning the class event, Slade was getting ready to deliver
the speech for a schoolwide competition with the help of his mother and
teacher. Here’s an excerpt from the speech:

“Like President Obama, I believe that all
people should have the right to marry whoever they want,” Slade says in
the poignant speech, which he delivered in full on NY1. He also speaks
about his own experiences with a lesbian couple, who are friends with
his mother.

“In conclusion, I hope that everyone
understands how important it is to respect everyone for who they are,”
he says. “I believe that same-sex marriage should be accepted worldwide,
and that parents and teachers should start to discuss these issues
without shame to their children.”

You can hear this entire, amazing speech by clicking here. Kameron Slade’s mother has raised quite a child!

As Think Progress points out,
in addition to the fact that young people can easily learn about this
issue from the President of the United States, many are bound to
encounter same-sex families among their friends and classmates. To
censor such topics is an attempt to erase gay and lesbian people from
communities entirely.

Numerous studies have found that schools are safer for LGBT students when curricula are LGBT-inclusive.

California passed an LGBT-inclusive education bill last year, and a study released last week
confirms that not only did LGBT students feel safer, but they also
performed better academically and felt more connected to the school,
their teachers, and their future.

Slade should be applauded, not censored, for doing for his peers what
his school community refuses to do. What kind of lesson is this
teaching him?

What do you think?

Read More: http://www.care2.com/causes/5th-grader-banned-from...

• Zuggi 2012/06/17 02:14:36
    Zuggi
    +1
    Oh my god, a kid was going to say that equal rights are a good thing!
  • say what? 2012/06/17 00:24:41
    say what?
    +1
    I despise people that use children to push their political and moral ideology.
  • Daniel 2012/06/16 23:57:27
    Daniel
    A school with an excellent principle. The speech had no business in the school anymore than another has any business reading the Bible to the school. The teacher however should be fired.
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/06/17 12:07:26
    bricklyn
    This is a speech about human rights, and nothing what so ever to do with biblical issues. Censorship and freedom of speech is not acceptable at any level in society and that is what happened here.
  • Daniel bricklyn 2012/06/17 13:28:42
    Daniel
    It's an opinion based n political and religious beliefs and has no business in school. This is for the same reason my son can't get up and give a speech about how gays should be imprisoned and how they've caused the death of millions. If the issue was reversed you'd be cheering the principle. So don't now play hypocrit.
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/06/17 13:35:24
    bricklyn
    Same sex marriage is not a religious issue at all. The president is the leader of the countries. This is a human rights issue. Nothing more.

Your son would be giving a speak about hate and slaughter, That is a very different issue. You apparently are one of the haters. Go away.
  • Daniel bricklyn 2012/06/17 19:44:04
    Daniel
    BS it has nothing to dowith human rights.
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/06/18 04:43:42
    bricklyn
    It absolutely does.

Just like women's right to vote and own land, blacks rights to freedom and equality with whites. Equality to marry who you want and not to be discriminated on the basis of sexual orientation is exactly the same issue.
  • Daniel bricklyn 2012/06/18 10:53:30
    Daniel
    It's a special rights issue. And the school has no right support a special interest whether for or against.
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/06/18 13:04:02
    bricklyn
    There are no "SPECIAL" right at all. All people should be EQUAL under the law. When people are specifically label and laws are created to exclude them, they are NOT equal.

There are 1400 laws in American law specifically for heterosexual people only. Those are 'SPECIAL" rights for heterosexuals only.

Same sex marriage has been part of society since ancient history, The church presided over them until the mid 1400's in Europe and they were common in Roman and Greek cultures and others as well.
  • Daniel bricklyn 2012/06/18 15:08:29
    Daniel
    They can get married just like everyone else and that's equal. They want to create something else and demand we accept it as the same when infact it's a perversion of God and nature.
  • Alex Daniel 2012/07/05 18:51:21 (edited)
    Alex
    +3
    Are you kidding? Many states still don't allow homosexual marriage in the United States. You are clearly ignorant and don't know what you are talking about. Black people had "voting rights", but were they treated fairly? No. If you were treated unfairly because of something you preferred, would you not want to demand better treatment?
  • Daniel Alex 2012/07/05 22:02:57
    Daniel
    What a moron you truly are. Marriage is legal every whereA gay man can marry any woman that will have him. Now try to think before coming at me with BS. Everyone has a right to marriage, gays choose not to participate.
  • Alex Daniel 2012/07/07 00:36:54
    Alex
    +1
    It seems that you have misunderstood what I've intended to say. Gay people are not allowed to marry people whom they wish to, that is other homosexuals, in most states. Please don't jump to conclusions. Do you think I am an idiot who thinks that marriage is illegal in most states? If so, then I'm sorry.
  • Daniel Alex 2012/07/07 13:37:36
    Daniel
    I understood what you said and what you don't get is that's called a Special Right. Equal is that we are all the same. Sorry but the majority aren't in to perversion. I for one will never support sexual perversions of any kind. What you don't grasp is that our decaying morals never end. Women sleeping with more than one man in their lives was a perversion now everyone goes it. This isn't a good thing but the sexual revolution lead us to believe it was. Now fatherless children are common. The next generation will be fighting for molester's rights. Wait they already are I draw the line at one man and one woman forever.
  • Alex Daniel 2012/07/07 16:37:48
    Alex
    Let me ask you how loving someone and wanting to live together with a strong bond is immoral?
  • Daniel Alex 2012/07/07 17:56:03
  • Alex Daniel 2012/07/07 18:30:40 (edited)
    Alex
    +1
    First of all, you didn't answer my question. Second of all, I think that us humans are intelligent enough, advanced enough, to have sex for the purpose of confirming love to our partners rather than for the sole
    purpose of reproduction. Let's leave that to the animals.
    And, why are homosexuals perverts? I'm sure that there
    are many perverted homosexuals, but being
    homosexual does not make you overly obsessed with
    sex, or sexually corrupt. I'm sure there are many
    perverted straight people. Also, this is about marriage, not sex. Keep in mind that you can marry without having sex.
  • Daniel Alex 2012/07/07 22:16:18
    Daniel
    +1
    Yes I did. You asked if love was immoral and I answered, It's not until a man puts his penis where anyone with a brain knows it doesn't go. Sex has nothing to do with love. I have an ex who's been with her husband for 13 years and has never had sex with him. I was her last. He can't get hard so all they have is love. To men getting each other to cum in the mouth and butt holes is pure perversion. Something really sick about a man's scotum laying on another man's chin.
  • Alex Daniel 2012/07/08 19:53:59
    Alex
    (I didn't mean to Rave this...) You are missing the point. I'm asking you about love; not two men having oral and anal sex. I acknowledge the fact that sex and love are two different matters. I never once said they weren't. Stop straying from the subject. And keep in mind that this whole discussion is focused on marriage. People marry out of love, by sex.
  • Daniel Alex 2012/07/09 02:45:36
    Daniel
    All I know is a man is united to a woman in marriage freated by God. Now man can be united in a Civil Union by man but that's it. I would have to quit believing in God to believe two men were a marriage. That isn't going to happen.
  • Alex Daniel 2012/07/09 04:17:51
    Alex
    I will not question your religious beliefs, and since I can see this argument not ending in us agreeing to have disagreements, let's end it here.
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/07/10 03:11:18
    bricklyn
    You are speaking the the past. There are many countries where same sex marriages are legal. The church has never has any monopoly on marriage at any point in history.
    Sane sex marriage was part of society for centuries and was common in Greek and Roman cultures and the church presided over same sex marriage until the mid 1400's in Europe.

Marriage was around long befor christianity ever was.
  • Daniel bricklyn 2012/07/12 02:51:40
    Daniel
    Didn't say they weren't legal. I said they weren't real.
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/07/14 20:40:12
    bricklyn
    I have no idea what your perverted idea of 'real' is. But it is definitely not reality.
  • Daniel bricklyn 2012/07/14 20:46:19
    Daniel
    I lack the patience to explain such things to 5 year olds so ask your mom.
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/07/14 20:38:21
    bricklyn
    The only perversion is in YOUR mind. This is the 21st century and you are living in the Dark Ages.
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/07/14 20:37:16
    bricklyn
    I guess you have not figured out that most body partsd are multi functional and always have been.

There are also a huge number of heterosexual couple that participate in anal intercourse as well.

Get over yourself and your hate and bigotry.
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/07/14 20:35:09
    bricklyn
    Heterosexual are the ones who have 'special' rights. When are you going to figure that out.
  • Daniel bricklyn 2012/07/14 20:49:11
  • bricklyn Daniel 2012/07/14 20:34:23
  • Daniel bricklyn 2012/07/14 20:54:20
    Daniel
    Marriage is a union created by God. He made it clear gays weren't acceptable. You also should look up pervert before continuing to sound ridiculous. The majority are against two men humping and even more against calling this perversion a marriage.
  • Schläue~© 2012/06/16 23:48:56
    Schläue~©
    +2
    I think his Momma shouldn't have written his politically charged speech and expected any other out-come.
  • S.E.L. 2012/06/16 23:14:34
    S.E.L.
    +3
    freedom of speech

2014/10/21 05:24:38