5 Reasons Liberals Are Such Unpleasant People To Be Around

teigan 2012/04/03 15:53:12
Yes, I have never met a happy liberal
Liberals, are to miserable to be around

Why are liberals so unpleasant to be around?

1) They're unhappy: Study after study shows that conservatives are happier people than liberals. The difference can be staggering.

In 2004, people who said they were conservative or very conservative were nearly twice as likely to say they were very happy as people who called themselves liberal or very liberal (44 percent versus 25 percent). Conservatives were only half as likely to say they were not too happy (9 versus 18 percent).

Unhappy people are generally disagreeable because when you're miserable, you tend to become very selfish. If you want an example of how that works, go hit yourself on the hand with a hammer and while you're writhing in agony, see how much time you spend thinking about helping other people as opposed to wishing you hadn't smashed your own hand.

2) Liberals don't care as much about tradition: Although it goes without saying that people who worship change for change's sake don't care very much about customs, you might wonder why that would make such a big difference. Well, as Thomas Sowell has noted, "Civilization has been aptly called a 'thin crust over a volcano.' The anointed are constantly picking at that crust."

In many cases, societal conventions represent the accumulated wisdom of previous generations. Through trial and error, they discovered that there are certain things you can do that help keep a society running well. There are reasons why people get together and sing Christmas carols in the town square, refuse to insult people immediately after they die, treat marriage as sacred, and don't turn funerals into campaign rallies. Because liberals tend to think they're smarter than all those old dead people simply by virtue of being liberal, they tend to ignore those conventions and create disorder and havoc around themselves in the process.

3) Liberals see people who disagree as evil: Liberals see themselves as part of a Manichean struggle in which they’re trying to create Utopia on earth while they’re being opposed by people who want to do evil for evil’s sake. In other words, liberals are about as complex as your average comic book from the fifties. As Charles Krauthammer has said,

To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil.

When you attribute disagreements with Barack Obama to racism, opposition to gay marriage to homophobia, standing against abortion as hatred of women, and a desire to balance the budget to loathing of the poor, you have a hopelessly simplistic view of the world that makes you utterly impervious to reason. Stupid, you may be able to educate, but evil, you have to defeat -- and liberals are seldom picky about the means or the manners they use while trying to do so.

4) Liberals aren't very religious: Liberals are overwhelmingly either atheists or agnostics, people who don't take their religious beliefs very seriously in the first place, or people who allow their ideology to completely subvert their religious beliefs. This is no small matter because religion is one of the great civilizing forces. That's not to say that even sincere practitioners of a religion always do the right thing because as Rick Warren has noted, "The church is a hospital for sinners, not a hotel for saints." However, if you take human beings with open minds, put them in a pew and expose them to "Love thy neighbour as thyself" and "Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them" long enough, it will curb their nature and make them into much better people than they otherwise would have been.

5) Liberalism encourages arrogance: Liberals tend to believe they're brilliant, compassionate, moral, enlightened, perceptive, and courageous, not because of anything they've actually done, but just because they're liberal. When you completely divorce a person's self image from his behavior, it produces terrible results -- like liberals who hurl abuse at conservative women while believing that they're feminists or selfish left-wingers who've never given a dime to charity, but believe themselves to be much more compassionate than people who tithe 10% of their income.

Now, on some level, liberals know this is all a big sham. But, even that can be problematic because unstable high self-esteem actually causes more bad behavior and violent behavior than low self-esteem. As Roy Baumeister noted in Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty,

The sequence goes something like this. Someone tells you that you are not very competent at something. If you are a shame-prone person, you start to experience that sinking feeling that the other person may be right and this is not the only thing that you are bad at, and maybe you are just a worthless loser in general. You start to feel panic, anxiety, and misery, and your heart beats faster. To break free of those feelings, you reject the premise. You are not incompetent in the way the other person said. The other person had no right to say that to you, and he's completely wrong. Your feelings are now directed outward at him, instead of yourself, and the effects of your faster heartbeat and general arousal transfer into intense anger at the person who has so unfairly insulted you. You want to hit him.

Congratulations! You've just graduated from "Interactions with Liberals 101."

Read More: http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2012/04...

• TheMadChameleon 2012/04/03 18:22:30
    TheMadChameleon
    +17
    1. I'm quite happy with my life. I think the world could be a much better place and will continue to work for this, but on a personal level I'm one of the happiest people I know.

2. Useless traditions I don't care about, it's true. Those that have positive effects, or neutral effects, fine; indeed, the positive ones are quite lovely!

3. I've actually noticed this much more from conservatives. How funny. I think we both may have problems with confirmation bias, would you not agree?

4. Funny, the people I know who are least religious are actually apathetic or moderate about politics. Not being a Church-every-Sunday Christian does not necessarily make liberals irreligious. There are likely more liberal atheists than conservative atheists, but many liberals are at least somewhat religious. And for those who aren't, so what? Most of the atheists I know are delightful people, just like most religious people. Those who expect otherwise are often surprised when they find out that lovely people who they assumed were religious because they're good people are actually atheists, and THAT is always entertaining to see.

5. And many Conservatives are arrogant because they assume that God is on their side, that things are perfect as they are now, or were in the past, and the only problems...

5. And many Conservatives are arrogant because they assume that God is on their side, that things are perfect as they are now, or were in the past, and the only problems happen when dem libs get out of line, and that they're better than everyone else because they got lucky in one or two aspects of their life--or because they think they will, if they are not one of the stereotypical mega-rich.

Funny list, though! You, sir, have a future as a comedian, I have no doubt :)

• txDON'T... teigan 2012/04/04 21:36:00
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +1
    I like your sense of humor!
  • Lady Wh... alonnas... 2012/04/04 10:57:04
    +1
    agreed
  • Razoreye001 2012/04/04 01:02:42
    Razoreye001
    +5
    1. Ever hear the term ignorance is bliss? That explains that.
    2. A tradition is only good if their is a good reason for it being stuck in the past is prejudice and a world of constant change is better than cultural stagnation.
    3. What do you expect when your stance is if someones sick no one should help them wait for them to die instead?
    4. So just because we believe in mathematics instead of dusty old tomes that were written millions of years ago were the bad guys? Isn't that anti-intellectual.
    5. we actually provide reasons for what we believe, what reason could you possibly have for banning gay marriage?
  • Murph 65 2012/04/04 00:36:17
    Murph 65
    +4
    Great piece, thank you!!!! Brings to mind a number of people I know.
  • ValorNET 2012/04/03 23:53:06
    ValorNET
    +3
    1) That's mostly because of imbalance. The conservatives have their functions and traditions in place. These people would like to live alternatively. Just go ask any oppressed person if they're happy or not - whether they're allowed or have room to be themselves.

2) Lies. They simply may not want to maintain or sustain or embrace them in the same FASHION (fascism).

3) Lies. They see them as unbudging. Unwilling to take in an alternative perspective. Mostly because it goes against their so long-lasted traditions.

4) Lies. Religion is what you make of it. Has NO place in politics, nor in living and letting others live how they'd like (provided no criminal acts are protected by said religious views).

5) I'm not quite sure how to respond to this, as I don't fully understand the significance. Just seems like another cheap accusation. So, I have nothing to add.
  • Cal 2012/04/03 23:30:37
    Cal
    +3
    Agreed, good write up! Re-posted.

http://www.politicalbuddies.com/
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/03 23:28:19
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    I know some pleasant ones, and I think it is way too generalized of a statement.
  • teigan WhereIs... 2012/04/04 06:58:31
    teigan
    I know some pleasant ones too, as long as you agree with them.
  • bigfoot 2012/04/03 22:51:02
    bigfoot
    +1
    everything is Relative.You could say Conservatives are Happy because they Refuse to Acknowledge Reality and live in Their Imagination and Fantasy World.and Liberals because They Face Reality Daily Appear Angry out of Frustration of attempting to communicate with Conservatives who live in their Own Imaginary Space.talk with a Conservative always opens with the Conservative saying "Here Is The Answer,Whats The Question?"
  • teigan bigfoot 2012/04/04 07:00:40
    teigan
    +1
    I have no problem acknowledging the reality that Obama is purposely bankrupting our country. People dependant on the government for their survival are easy for the government to control.
  • bigfoot teigan 2012/04/04 18:54:51
    bigfoot
    +1
    Nonsense.There You Go Again Living In Your Fantasyland. where were You when Reagan and Bush were Creating This Huge Deficet and Saying Don't Worry About It.and why haven't your RWNJs/Tea Party done anything including the passing of ObamaCare to reduce the Deficet? your Not interested in doing anything for the Country and people,but trying to defeat Obama and steal more Wealth and Power from the people and your Ignorant&Stupid RWNJ Followers.peddle your Lying Propaganda else where.like the Bible Belt.
  • txDON'T... bigfoot 2012/04/04 21:52:32 (edited)
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +1
    You posted, ".peddle your Lying Propaganda else where.like the Bible Belt."

'bigfoot insert his bigmouth'
    bigmouth
  • bigfoot txDON'T... 2012/04/05 22:16:15
    bigfoot
    doesn't change the fact that your Rant and Propaganda is a creation of your imagination. LIES!!!!! all the Better to Speak Louder.
  • David William 2012/04/03 22:38:50
    David William
    +3
    As a happy, non-religious, anti-tradition liberal, I have to say that none of those things really have a lot in common. One can have one, a couple, or all of those things, or a mix of those with other character potential. What you're trying to do is create a label based understanding of an entire swath of humanity. Not all conservatives are religious, not all conservatives care about tradition. Not to mention how arrogant it is of YOU to presume you can label people just because you need others to fit your world view. Maybe if liberal seem angry to you, it's because you keep asking them questions loaded with your personal Bias.
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/04/03 22:36:49
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +3
    One of the most bitter people I've ever known in my life is my uncle, a conservative atheist. But, to be fair, he's also a drunk and a closet case, so.... Whatever.
    Label people  not jars
  • Maria 2012/04/03 22:12:50
    Liberals, are to miserable to be around
    Maria
    +2
    Liberals intend to insult back and not have any kindly word or respect...see why in back in old days the Liberals of late 60's to early 70'sThe sexual revolution (also known as a time of "sexual liberation") was a social movement that challenged traditional codes of behavior related to sexuality and interpersonal relationships throughout the Western world from the 1960s into the 1980s.[1] Many of the changes in sexual norms from this period have since become mainstream.[2]

Sexual liberation included increased acceptance of sex outside of traditional heterosexual, monogamous relationships (primarily marriage).
    look at the consequence of disease have rapid spread an newer disease such as chlamydia or gonorrhea—though inconvenient and stressful—isn’t the worst thing that can happen. After some antibiotics, you’re back in the game, right? Not necessarily: Researchers recently discovered a new strain of gonorrhea, H014, that can’t be killed with current antibiotics.HIV,Aids and STD etc...see what mean sexual isn't the answer and doesn't help either too because back in old days don't believe in mixture of sexual multiply partners ...
  • Kevin A... Maria 2012/04/04 04:24:54
    Kevin Ausdal
    +1
    So you waited till marriage to have sex?
  • Candy 2012/04/03 22:07:44
    Candy
    +6
    Look, I'm conservative, but there's no objectivity in this post.
    A lot of the same could be said about conservatives. Who were polled in the first study?

The other points only have one or two quotes (one from a famous though respectable conservative). It doesn't make your point any more or less valid..

Personally, a lot of the liberals I know can be nice people unless we start discussing politics. Then it's claws out and namecalling. A lot of people on Soda tend to namecall (both sides are guilty), but the most trash talking I've gotten has come from liberals. I haven't met them all yet, so I'll reserve my judgment. If we're basing this on Obama, there's no need to argue the arogance and lack of respect he shows towards our Constitution and religious people....but not all liberals are like that.
  • Bunk11 2012/04/03 21:17:02
    Yes, I have never met a happy liberal
    Bunk11
    +6
    Liberals always seem to be angry, and if you aren't angry, they get angry that you aren't angry. And when they're in charge, they get downright nasty.
  • cynsity 2012/04/03 21:04:00
    cynsity
    +2
    I am not so sure if liberal or conservitive makes the difference in happiness.

I happen to know a great many liberals who are happy but they are liberals who leave out the one major flaw that many liberals seem to have.

You see the key to happiness is to own it. No one can make YOU happy, only YOU can make YOU happy. So if you do things which makes your life enjoyable, if you surround yourself with people who also take an active role in their own happiness then you tend to be happy and if you are not you have the ability and skills to change things until your happy again.

LIberal, in general, base their happiness on how they can affect OTHER peoples' happiness. They have it in their minds they have to make OTHER people's lives better and by better make other peoples' live more in line with their lives.

The few liberals who I do call friends do try and make other people happy, but they do it through works such as preforming arts and mentoring both of which makes them personally happy. So even if no one is really watching their shows they are still enjoying themselves.

www.cynsitywriting.blogspot.com
  • texasred 2012/04/03 20:57:07
    texasred
    +4
    I know a couple of happy Liberals, but they're actually moderates. That's probably the only reason they aren't miserable.
  • Idiot repubs 2012/04/03 20:26:02
    Idiot repubs
    +4
    The truth just ruins fox viewers delusions.
  • rightside 2012/04/03 20:16:10
    Liberals, are to miserable to be around
    rightside
    +6
    I do know some very stable liberals, but they sometimes are that way just because they believe one man can save them all. bama seems to be their current pick.
    Most don't believe that working for your "happiness" is the way. Some are so unhappy that they feel guilty about not helping everyone, so they legislate that all must help those that don't want to work for themselves. Its a guilt thing, and they force that on everyone.
  • "Shooter" ™ 2012/04/03 20:13:18 (edited)
    Yes, I have never met a happy liberal
    "Shooter" ™
    +6
    They are bitter and angry hippies.

angry hippie
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2012/04/03 19:57:23
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +3
    As the old saw has it, ignorance is bliss.

PS I can't believe you quote that nattering nabob of negativism, Charles Krauthammer. Yes, that was a quote - by one of the more interesting speech writers going, William Safire: an old style conservative.
  • JCD aka... Ali ~ I... 2012/04/03 20:17:02
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    I also like to quote Spiro Agnew. And his speechwriter too.
  • Ali ~ I... JCD aka... 2012/04/03 20:24:11
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +2
    I knew someone would recognize it :)
  • txDON'T... Ali ~ I... 2012/04/04 22:08:35 (edited)
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +2
    You CAN be a conservative without embracing the Republican platform.

BTW - I like Charles Krauthammer.  Charles Krauthammer
  • Ali ~ I... txDON'T... 2012/04/05 01:39:32 (edited)
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    I've read a few columns of his that were interesting. Not a fave, though.

Yes, of course you can. I have my conservative areas (which, unfortunately, run counter to GOP notions of conservativism).
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/04/03 19:35:26
    JCD aka "biz"
    +4
    When ole King George realized that unhappy people are disagreeable, it was too late, your country had become independent.
    Same here in France, and King Louis XVI even lost his head.
  • Common Sense Conservative 2012/04/03 19:22:22
    Common Sense Conservative
    +5
    I know one thing for sure, they are all from La La Land.
  • babibumer 2012/04/03 19:07:45
    babibumer
    +8
    I am not surprised. You know the old adage - Ignorance is Bliss! I've always said that it is a good thing that stupid people are too stupid to know how stupid they are, or they turn their handguns on themselves!

As for religion - I see most Conservatives as being the first to TELL you how religious they are, but their ACTIONS seldom prove it.
  • JCD aka... babibumer 2012/04/03 19:32:38
    JCD aka "biz"
    +4
    They are often CINOs, "Christians In Name Only".
  • Ali ~ I... babibumer 2012/04/03 19:58:55
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +5
    Well said - I said the same :)
  • rightside babibumer 2012/04/03 20:13:37
    rightside
    +6
    I've never seen any Christian on here state how "religious" they are. What I see is that when conservatives disagree with liberals, is when the liberal calls them hateful and evil.
  • babibumer rightside 2012/04/06 20:14:45
    babibumer
    LOL. They don't have to say "I'm so religious". It's in their answer - said without being said. They think they are the only Patriots, the only ones with moral, and the only ones who REALLY know what the Bible says. They are legends in their own minds - and usually far from Christian - maybe religious - maybe church-goes - but not practicing the Christian ideals. Just remember all of the fight against health care reform from the far and religious right. Proof is in the "protesting".
  • rightside babibumer 2012/04/06 20:28:51
    rightside
    +1
    I would assume that they hear socialism and yes, even communism being preached from the other side.
    When Jesus fed the 5000, they kept following Him because they thought they had a cash cow. When He didn't feed them again, they went away.
    Jesus says He love a cheerful giver, not one that is forced to give. Back in the big depression, it was charities that had the soup kitchens and helped people out. Not because they were forced to be the government, but because they want to emulate Christ.
    We also think that babies should not be cut up in their mothers womb. I think that's a moral issue.
  • babibumer rightside 2012/04/06 22:23:40
    babibumer
    Well, to begin with, fortunately our nation is not ruled (or at least not supposed to be) by Right Wing religious beliefs. That would be totally against the Constitution - but yet that is exactly what the Don't Tread on Me flag wavers want. They wave that flag in one hand, and then insist upon laws being passed to force their particular religious beliefs on the entire nation.

There has never been a time since the days of the Puritans that this has been so evident in modern times. The Republicans' extreme Right Wing agenda has become blindingly evident since the 2010 election of so many Tea Party candidates who campaigned on jobs, then went straight to work on imposing the Right Wing Evangelical beliefs into legislation. They will pay for that in 2012. People were "asleep" for the 2010 elections, but they are AWAKE now!

Jesus would be a "Socialist" in today's time. A great nation cannot remain a great nation when its people do not take care of its own. Soup kitchens are great. Free health care clinics are great. But the American Dream is not to have to be dependent upon someone's charity to survive. The American Dream is not to be a billionaire. The American Dream is simply every person being able to make a living, send their kids to college, and perhaps take a vacat...

Jesus would be a "Socialist" in today's time. A great nation cannot remain a great nation when its people do not take care of its own. Soup kitchens are great. Free health care clinics are great. But the American Dream is not to have to be dependent upon someone's charity to survive. The American Dream is not to be a billionaire. The American Dream is simply every person being able to make a living, send their kids to college, and perhaps take a vacation most years. That American Dream is quickly slipping away - upwards to the 1% who don't give a damn about YOU or ME or anyone else. Trickle Down Economics? That's the biggest farce ever sold to SOME of the American people. Prosperity does not "trickle down". Prosperity occurs when the middle class is prosperous and able to afford the goods and services the 1% provide - and will only provide when they know the majority of people can purchase their products. These "job creators" don't create jobs out of the goodness of their hearts. They "create jobs" to obtain the money that the middle class is willing to spend on their goods and services. If the middle class has no money to spend, the "job creators" will just keep watching their portfolios grow. Wake up.
  • rightside babibumer 2012/04/07 00:56:36
    rightside
    +1
    Ya see, I never said anything about pushing my faith in Christ on the country. I just mentioned that Christians were the ones take care of those in need before, and they still do.
    Are you going to be the one to put a cap on what someone can make? Trust me, there are more than 1% that believe in capitalism. Just because the ows said they were the 99%, doesn't make it so. That's the problem with the left, they believe they can put names to something that really isn't true. Such as the NOW. They believe they can say the represent all women, but in essence, they only represent those that agree with them.
    The constitution says we have the right to the pursuit of happiness, not the right to happiness. That's not the job of the government to make us happy.
    That's why there are community colleges, so that those that can't afford Harvard, can still get an education.
    No, Jesus wouldn't be a socialist. Not in the sense you speak of. He would never force anyone to give if they didn't want to. That's not the way He works.
    The USA was never intended to be a welfare state. Stealing money from those that work to give to those that don't.
    Many have grown up thinking they are entitled and the left is feeding that idea.
  • VERYwiseguy 2012/04/03 18:56:53
    VERYwiseguy
    +2
    People are people a right wing blogger would say this.Liberals may have more to be unhappy about.

2014/11/25 20:55:38