5 Reasons Liberals Are Such Unpleasant People To Be Around

teigan 2012/04/03 15:53:12
Yes, I have never met a happy liberal
Liberals, are to miserable to be around

Why are liberals so unpleasant to be around?

1) They're unhappy: Study after study shows that conservatives are happier people than liberals. The difference can be staggering.

In 2004, people who said they were conservative or very conservative were nearly twice as likely to say they were very happy as people who called themselves liberal or very liberal (44 percent versus 25 percent). Conservatives were only half as likely to say they were not too happy (9 versus 18 percent).

Unhappy people are generally disagreeable because when you're miserable, you tend to become very selfish. If you want an example of how that works, go hit yourself on the hand with a hammer and while you're writhing in agony, see how much time you spend thinking about helping other people as opposed to wishing you hadn't smashed your own hand.

2) Liberals don't care as much about tradition: Although it goes without saying that people who worship change for change's sake don't care very much about customs, you might wonder why that would make such a big difference. Well, as Thomas Sowell has noted, "Civilization has been aptly called a 'thin crust over a volcano.' The anointed are constantly picking at that crust."

In many cases, societal conventions represent the accumulated wisdom of previous generations. Through trial and error, they discovered that there are certain things you can do that help keep a society running well. There are reasons why people get together and sing Christmas carols in the town square, refuse to insult people immediately after they die, treat marriage as sacred, and don't turn funerals into campaign rallies. Because liberals tend to think they're smarter than all those old dead people simply by virtue of being liberal, they tend to ignore those conventions and create disorder and havoc around themselves in the process.

3) Liberals see people who disagree as evil: Liberals see themselves as part of a Manichean struggle in which they’re trying to create Utopia on earth while they’re being opposed by people who want to do evil for evil’s sake. In other words, liberals are about as complex as your average comic book from the fifties. As Charles Krauthammer has said,

To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil.

When you attribute disagreements with Barack Obama to racism, opposition to gay marriage to homophobia, standing against abortion as hatred of women, and a desire to balance the budget to loathing of the poor, you have a hopelessly simplistic view of the world that makes you utterly impervious to reason. Stupid, you may be able to educate, but evil, you have to defeat -- and liberals are seldom picky about the means or the manners they use while trying to do so.

4) Liberals aren't very religious: Liberals are overwhelmingly either atheists or agnostics, people who don't take their religious beliefs very seriously in the first place, or people who allow their ideology to completely subvert their religious beliefs. This is no small matter because religion is one of the great civilizing forces. That's not to say that even sincere practitioners of a religion always do the right thing because as Rick Warren has noted, "The church is a hospital for sinners, not a hotel for saints." However, if you take human beings with open minds, put them in a pew and expose them to "Love thy neighbour as thyself" and "Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them" long enough, it will curb their nature and make them into much better people than they otherwise would have been.

5) Liberalism encourages arrogance: Liberals tend to believe they're brilliant, compassionate, moral, enlightened, perceptive, and courageous, not because of anything they've actually done, but just because they're liberal. When you completely divorce a person's self image from his behavior, it produces terrible results -- like liberals who hurl abuse at conservative women while believing that they're feminists or selfish left-wingers who've never given a dime to charity, but believe themselves to be much more compassionate than people who tithe 10% of their income.

Now, on some level, liberals know this is all a big sham. But, even that can be problematic because unstable high self-esteem actually causes more bad behavior and violent behavior than low self-esteem. As Roy Baumeister noted in Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty,

The sequence goes something like this. Someone tells you that you are not very competent at something. If you are a shame-prone person, you start to experience that sinking feeling that the other person may be right and this is not the only thing that you are bad at, and maybe you are just a worthless loser in general. You start to feel panic, anxiety, and misery, and your heart beats faster. To break free of those feelings, you reject the premise. You are not incompetent in the way the other person said. The other person had no right to say that to you, and he's completely wrong. Your feelings are now directed outward at him, instead of yourself, and the effects of your faster heartbeat and general arousal transfer into intense anger at the person who has so unfairly insulted you. You want to hit him.

Congratulations! You've just graduated from "Interactions with Liberals 101."

Read More: http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2012/04...

• TheMadChameleon 2012/04/03 18:22:30
    TheMadChameleon
    +17
    1. I'm quite happy with my life. I think the world could be a much better place and will continue to work for this, but on a personal level I'm one of the happiest people I know.

2. Useless traditions I don't care about, it's true. Those that have positive effects, or neutral effects, fine; indeed, the positive ones are quite lovely!

3. I've actually noticed this much more from conservatives. How funny. I think we both may have problems with confirmation bias, would you not agree?

4. Funny, the people I know who are least religious are actually apathetic or moderate about politics. Not being a Church-every-Sunday Christian does not necessarily make liberals irreligious. There are likely more liberal atheists than conservative atheists, but many liberals are at least somewhat religious. And for those who aren't, so what? Most of the atheists I know are delightful people, just like most religious people. Those who expect otherwise are often surprised when they find out that lovely people who they assumed were religious because they're good people are actually atheists, and THAT is always entertaining to see.

5. And many Conservatives are arrogant because they assume that God is on their side, that things are perfect as they are now, or were in the past, and the only problems...

5. And many Conservatives are arrogant because they assume that God is on their side, that things are perfect as they are now, or were in the past, and the only problems happen when dem libs get out of line, and that they're better than everyone else because they got lucky in one or two aspects of their life--or because they think they will, if they are not one of the stereotypical mega-rich.

Funny list, though! You, sir, have a future as a comedian, I have no doubt :)

• us 2012/04/09 01:34:53
    us
    +2
    not sure never thought of it. I believe in personal responsibility, I do believe in Jesus as
    are personal savior,
  • wolf sloan 2012/04/08 21:32:28
    Liberals, are to miserable to be around
    wolf sloan
    +2
    for the most part
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/04/07 15:14:05
    Yes, I have never met a happy liberal
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +2
    Always want something they really don't need and aren't willing to work for or pay for. But they'll be more than happy to vote away everyone elses money for it.

Public schools are liberal training camps. if you have a kid in public school, read some of the junk they're learning, if they are learning. Spend most of the time here giving out pencils and trying to get them to shut up, they'll make good sheeple, not able to get a job and vote the right way to get a check.
  • teigan Kat ♪ ~... 2012/04/08 09:32:35
    teigan
    +2
    That's not true they do learn all about sex, gay marriage, masturbation and how to use a condom.
  • Kat ♪ ~... teigan 2012/04/08 13:01:02
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Didn't have to hang around long enough for that class, just for my homeschooler to take their stupid standardized test. Which they lost and didn't require re-taking since I personally believe he did so much better on they had to lose it or look worse than they do already.
  • teigan Kat ♪ ~... 2012/04/09 06:14:52
    teigan
    +2
    More and more parents are homeschooling because they have no say in what is going on in their child's classroom. Parents used to have some imput now they are shut completely out of the process. Children probably learn more in homeschooling and they are much better off learning about morals from their parents.
  • Kat ♪ ~... teigan 2012/04/09 13:12:39
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    True, That and if you read or hear some of the history material, they have changed history in the new texts. We did a christian curriculum and several times I recall hearing stuff and saying, that's not what happened. I can only imagine what the secular has in it by now.
    They have every agenda in the school but better education, they don't want parental involvement. They want your child to learn their trash and go tell you how to vote, eat and be kind to animals and gays like their agenda requires.
  • teigan Kat ♪ ~... 2012/04/09 17:46:35
    teigan
    +1
    The educational system has gone to hell. It's time to get the government out and parents back in. It's not the schools job to teach morality, it's the parents job. They are continually trying to take power away from parents and then wonder why children are running wild. But let your kid do something wrong and they blame you, not the fact that they are teaching your children that they power over you. "Hey kid, if your parent spanks you call 911". Parents seem to be scared of their kids today, when parents had control kids didn't bring guns to school.
  • Kat ♪ ~... teigan 2012/04/09 21:38:33
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Think Hitler youth or the Japanese in WWII kids spying on them. Setting us up for a fall.
  • teigan Kat ♪ ~... 2012/04/09 22:52:33
    teigan
    +1
    Exactly!
  • txDON'T... teigan 2012/04/14 04:48:31
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +1
    I totally agree with you, however, haven't you heard our Leaders say that those Americans that have more than one week of food stored, more than one gun and one box of ammo, HOMESCHOOLING THEIR KIDS are considered suspicious and will be on the Dept of Homeland Security lists???
  • teigan txDON'T... 2012/04/14 05:26:52
    teigan
    +1
    I'm sure most conservatives are on Homeland Security lists. LOL
  • txDON'T... teigan 2012/04/15 02:42:06
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +1
    You DO have a point there, Ms Teigan!
  • teigan txDON'T... 2012/04/15 09:36:49
    teigan
    +1
    Time to stock up on ammo, oops, shhh, you didn't hear me say that.
  • txDON'T... teigan 2012/04/16 01:07:41
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +1
    Who me? No, not me! lol.
  • firelooker 2012/04/07 14:41:08
    Yes, I have never met a happy liberal
    firelooker
    +2
    And they're always wanting to ban something.
  • teigan firelooker 2012/04/09 06:15:32
    teigan
    +1
    Except things that they approve of. LOL
  • firelooker teigan 2012/04/09 16:27:51
    firelooker
    +1
    Which are few and far in between:O)
  • boots 2012/04/05 20:12:58
    boots
    +1
    I do tend to fart a lot .
  • Bastion 2012/04/05 14:40:19 (edited)
    Bastion
    +2
    Nice bogus list of answer choices. No, I'm not undecided at all.

1) I'm VERY happy. Maybe conservatives seem so happy because they're not too bright.

2) I like diverse traditions - America's melting pot is a very good thing. It seems that conservatives only like their OWN traditions.

3) No, liberals see CONS as evil.

4) I consider my non-religiousness to be a good thing. Sorry if it annoys you. American freedom of religion is GREAT.

5) I must agree - being right does tend to encourage a little self-confidence. It's the Con version of arrogance based on willful ignorance that's REALLY ugly.
  • txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry! 2012/04/04 20:53:54
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +2
    I can't decide what it is that makes liberals lie, distort, malign, attack, withhold, coerce and offend other Americans.

They SEEM to have a problem with their jaws and noses, both out of whack when pressure is mounting and unavoidable. Eye contact seems to be unpopular now as some folks can tell by shifting eyes and body language when someone is being dishonorable.
  • LindaM txDON'T... 2012/04/05 15:44:21
    LindaM
    +1
    By attack, you mean by the original 5 reasons? Now that's attack. Show me on SH where a liberal has posted a question or statement like this one. I think that it is you that has the problems you listed. We libs usually take everything with a grain of salt. Especially when we see where it's coming from. Just saying.
  • teigan LindaM 2012/04/05 20:34:48
    teigan
    +1
    LOL just search SH, you'll see them, of course if you're in denial. You won't find anything.
  • w2xad 2012/04/04 18:59:13
    w2xad
    +3
    Liberals and conservatives make me unhappy!
  • LindaM w2xad 2012/04/05 15:44:48
    LindaM
    I'm sorry. Good post though.
  • w2xad LindaM 2012/04/10 00:22:56
    w2xad
    please don't be sorry. You asked an honest question. I can't fault you for that.
  • LindaM 2012/04/04 16:01:19
    LindaM
    +3
    Is this a joke? I'm still laughing. I think that your statement has to be the lamest I've heard in months.. Now, I'm happy, content and probably sarcastic to the max. But I love it and I love to piss conservatives off.
  • iriemon203 LindaM 2012/04/05 08:56:05
    iriemon203
    +3
    I've read quite a few of your comments on SH.
    You don't piss conservatives off-you disgust them. BIG difference!
    You definitely score big in reason #5.
  • LindaM iriemon203 2012/04/05 15:50:44
    LindaM
    +1
    and you dear friend sound like your pissed or you wouldn't be replying. Keep up the good work.. Your number five there on your list is wrong. I have donated time, money and my quilting to animals shelters, kids with terminal illnesses, kids that have been abused. Holding babies with HIV that you all despise because of lame reasons. So you obviously don't know me at all. Now what have contributed to society besides your mouth?
  • iriemon203 LindaM 2012/04/06 01:43:10
    iriemon203
    +2
    No, not PO'd . Still disgusted.
    I'm a coach for handicapped kids baseball, a volunteer fireman, volunteer my time& gas to Meals on Wheels, foster shelter animals, and visit the elderly and assist at nursing homes, among other things. Sorry, I don't knit .

"Holding babies with HIV that you all despise because of lame reasons." ??
    Who the hell are you to portray ME that way, or "you all" whoever they may be. You don't know what I do or feel, so STFU !
    What a despicable thing to say.
  • LindaM iriemon203 2012/04/06 01:51:37
    LindaM
    You prejuged me. All's fair.. My my, aren't we the little do gooder. Well, gee, I knit. I foster animals too, I have two now. My grand daughter is handicapped and I have a grandson that's autistic. Therefore I volunteer for them at their schools. To be the good guy that you want me to believe, you have a funny way of showing it. Be disgusted, I really could care less. It really doesn't change the way I feel. I don't see any warmth coming from you anyway.
  • iriemon203 LindaM 2012/04/06 02:06:48
    iriemon203
    +2
    I have a funny way of showing it ? I know you would prefer I kneel and kiss your liberal ass the way all you idiot libs do your messiah. But since that ain't happening, you WON'T feel the warmth. What warmth does someone who supports a fraud POTUS that is destroying my country, feel like you deserve from me?
  • Tennyson James 2012/04/04 14:17:27
    Tennyson James
    +3
    I am a liberal with a positive outlook and a peaceful life. I see so many extreme conservatives here on SH who are paranoid - living in fear of just about everything and not trusting anyone. They hate our president and pretty much anyone else who doesn't hate him becomes their enemy. It must take a ton of energy to be constantly searching for hidden agendas in everything. Sorry, you're not going to convince me these people are happier than me - or even most people.
  • Rod 2012/04/04 13:37:19
    Rod
    +2
    Credit for this article should go to John Hawkins. John Hawkins is a professional blogger who runs Right Wing News.
  • teigan Rod 2012/04/04 14:03:51
    teigan
    +1
    Credit is in the link provided.
  • Rod teigan 2012/04/04 15:25:57
    Rod
    +1
    You're right. I didn't notice. Thanks.
  • ComeOnNow 2012/04/04 13:09:35
    ComeOnNow
    +2
    They are almost always angry whiny people that blame everyone else for their failures. Not to mention, how can anyone respect someone that believes it is ok to steal from others.
  • CAPISCE 2012/04/04 12:37:36
    Liberals, are to miserable to be around
    CAPISCE
    +3
    Liberals are the most judgmental and non tolerant group in America
  • Lady Wh... CAPISCE 2012/04/04 13:19:43
    +3
    more sounds like the conservatives.
  • CAPISCE Lady Wh... 2012/04/05 13:42:20
    CAPISCE
    +1
    You just proved my point and I'm a registered Independent

2014/10/24 11:32:35