35 Hurt, 7 Killed in Chicago Shootings

maggiemay 2012/06/18 15:47:06

Up to 200 police officers are
expected to be taken off the crime-ridden streets of Chicago to provide
security at the wedding of a senior White House adviser as President
Barack Obama flies in to attend.

President Barack Obama's visit to Chicago didn't stop another violent weekend.

At least seven people were killed and
35 were injured since Friday night. The youngest victim was a
16-year-old girl who died after she was shot three times in the chest
Saturday evening in the Englewood neighborhood.

Ten people were shot overnight
Friday, and in one hour Sunday morning, three people were killed. The
latest shooting happened just after midnight Monday when a 19-year-old
was shot to death on the city's North Side.

The shootings mark the third weekend in a row with gunfire injuries totaling well into the double digits. Last weekend, 46 people were hurt and eight killed across Chicago. The previous weekend, 29 were injured and three were killed in shootings.

"None of it is OK," Supt. Garry
McCarthy told NBC Chicago last week. "And I don't want it to seem like
we're managing it, but the realistic expectations have to be over the
long-term."

This weekend marked the beginning of
an overtime incentive program to put more police in neighborhoods where
crime is highest. Fewer than 60 officers signed up for the program,
though.

President Obama and his family arrived in Chicago Friday evening. They attended the wedding of senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett's daughter, and the president spent Father's Day golfing with friends.

• ~Adrien~ 2012/06/18 15:59:39
    ~Adrien~
    +16
    And Rahm still seems to think that Chicago's having the highest murder rate in the nation has nothing to do with Illinois's law abiding citizens not being able to carry their own concealed weapon. . .

• Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/06/18 21:37:46 (edited)
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +5
    Got to watch where to go in Chicago and never at night !!!!! My son worked in Chicago and one block over he did not know you were white you did not go to the nearest grocery store til they told him not to come back he'd get hurt !!!! Gangs !!!!! And he walked to work he had no car was without work so long he lost his car. He made out and lived to move out after a couple of pay checks !!!! What ashame ???
  • Marvelo... Diane S... 2012/06/19 00:11:59
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +2
    Nah! That can't be true, Chicago is perfectly safe, because Chicago is "Gun-Free"!
  • Diane S... Marvelo... 2012/06/19 00:30:01 (edited)
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +4
    They have guns citizens does not !!!!! My son had a bullet hole in glass doors on second floor he moved out that week !
  • Chi~Cat Diane S... 2012/06/19 03:45:07
    Chi~Cat
    +5
    Punk in jest.
  • Marvelo... Diane S... 2012/06/19 14:11:45
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +2
    Obviously, you are mistaken!
    How could your son have had "a bullet hole in glass doors ", when the rulers have decreed that guns were forbiden?!

Why in the world, would you think, that those who are willing to commit drive-by shootings, rape, robbery and *MURDER*, would ignore something as serious as a gun control law?!
    [Libtard/ProgressiveEmote]
  • Lanikai 2012/06/18 21:16:45
    +6
    This is yet another SHINING example of democratically controlled cities.

DEMS and their union thugs ALLOW the violent dangerous people to run free under the guise of racism or profiling if they dare to stop and check them.

How DOES it feel to live in a bastion of too much in tax, and not enough in SAFETY.
  • Marvelo... Lanikai 2012/06/19 14:20:34
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +2
    BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!
    WELL STATED!

Rampant violent crime, also make an increase of another big *MONEY MAKER* for Government seem "reasonable": More Law Enforcement.

Most people don't even realize *THE POLICE HAVE NO DUTY TO PROTECT INDIVIDUALS*:

“Law enforcement agencies and personnel have no duty to protect individuals from the criminal acts of others.” -Lynch vs North Carolina Department of Justice 1989

This means that if you want protection from violent crime, for you and your loved ones; it’s up to YOU and YOU ALONE to provide it.

I can't tell people enough, to ask yourself this question, in your heart of hearts: Why should a cop *risk his life* to save something so *insignificant* (your life or the lives of your loved ones), that even the owner is unwilling to protect it?
  • Lanikai Marvelo... 2012/06/19 14:27:40
    +2
    Most people also fail to realize that there is no actual war on drugs, there is a federal and state system to control SOME of the money and supply of drugs.

There is no actual war on poverty, there is a territory battle over how many can get some of the tax dollars FROM the FED for the poverty stricken.
  • Marvelo... Lanikai 2012/06/19 15:07:34
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +2
    You state: "There is no actual war on poverty, there is a territory battle over how many can get some of the tax dollars FROM the FED for the poverty stricken."

There is no "War on Poverty", that's just an attactive name put on a system *DESIGNED* by Democrats to breed votes for the Democrats.
    If it were actually intended to *HELP* the poor, welfare would have been designed to *ENCOURAGE* getting off the system, instead of trapping the victims *IN* the system.

"Republicans are only for the RICH!" and how are elections won? Get the most people to vote for you. To increase a Republican chance of winning: Republicans *NEED* to create *more RICH people* to vote Republican; Democrats by the same token must *create* more *POOR*.
  • Lanikai Marvelo... 2012/06/19 15:51:48
    +1
    I can see your point, but one good look at fec.gov tells the tales. DEMS often get more from corporations then repubs do, AND they give away more on the bottom end to keep the top and bottom in place for them. Repubs get more in the states from bigger business, but not from GIANT corps, like the dems do.

It doesn't change the fact that all of them, ALL of them benefit from the alleged wars on poverty and drugs. Both by controlling the unions the social workers have, and controlling the Section 8 system, food stamp collections approvals, etc. Both sides benefit from all downline services for both of these criminal/slaggard markets.
  • Marvelo... Lanikai 2012/06/19 16:37:12
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    Absolutely!
  • Mark P. 2012/06/18 21:12:39
    Mark P.
    +7
    There's a Chicago in Mexico? It seems our cities are turning into third world Countries.
  • Mungu 2012/06/18 20:55:42
    Mungu
    +2
    I must admit. I cram to understand what the problem is here. (Chicago is my home)
    How could this place be more violent than New York? My neighbors are nice. The folk on my block are good hard working people. Yet the near by main strip is a place I know to avoid at night. Open drug markets and the concentration of addicts is a major part of the problem but its not the whole story. This is not something "policing" can fix. I don't see how letting folk carry guns will help, since most of the gun violence is not of the random "stick um up" variety. The violence is drug related, gang faction competition based.

The numbers prove that since the major gangs have been dismantled in Chicago, all the schism that resulted in the power grabs only contributed to more violence. That combined with the tearing down of the high rise public housing (you know what you folk saw on the opening credits of "Good Times") caused many gang cliques to be displaced and therefore placed in hostile territory.

another element here at play is the glorification of ghetto gangsterism in music and movies. Yes many youth have been negatively programed with this fantasy %$#@!
  • Lanikai Mungu 2012/06/18 21:19:27
    +4
    Check how much of the violence and crime is illegals.

INS/FBI Statistical Report on Undocumented Immigrants

CRIME STATISTICS 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens.

86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for illegal aliens.

75% of those on the most wanted list in Los Angeles, Phoenix and Albuquerque are illegal aliens.

24.9% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally

40.1% of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally

48.2% of all inmates in New Mexico detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally

29% (630,000) convicted illegal alien felons fill our state and federal prisons at a cost of $1.6 billion annually

53% plus of all investigated burglaries reported in California, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and Texas are perpetrated by illegal aliens.

50% plus of all gang members in Los Angeles are illegal aliens from south of the border.

71% plus of all apprehended cars stolen in 2005 in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California were stolen by Illegal aliens or “transport coyotes".

47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are...

47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are illegal aliens.

63% of cited/stopped drivers in Arizona have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 63%, 97% are illegal aliens

66% of cited/stopped drivers in New Mexico have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 66% 98% are illegal aliens.

BIRTH STATISTICS 380,000 plus “anchor babies” were born in the U.S. in 2005 to illegal alien parents, making 380,000 babies automatically U.S.citizens.

97.2% of all costs incurred from those births were paid by the American taxpayers.

66% plus of all births in California are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid for by taxpayers
  • Mungu Lanikai 2012/06/18 21:41:05
    Mungu
    +4
    Well I doubt that "illegals" from Mexico are the problem in the Englewood section of Chicago. Unless they are Afro-Mexicans from La Costa Chica speaking fluent English and pretending to be African Americans. ;o)
  • whitewu... Mungu 2012/06/19 02:51:22
  • Chi~Cat Mungu 2012/06/19 03:49:12
    Chi~Cat
    +4
    You are right about that one. More killings from straw purchases brought into Englewood than Little Village any day. That is a fact. I agree with you on that one. Hell yeah.
  • Chi~Cat Lanikai 2012/06/19 03:54:37
    Chi~Cat
    +3
    I have to say that your stats do not speak the "bigger" problem. I agree with Mungu.

Don't you get it? Read some of the earlier posts. That's all.
  • Lanikai Chi~Cat 2012/06/19 14:31:37
    +2
    I can agree with both.

Locally we have smaller problems, the blacks are being challenged for drug territory by the mexicans/hispanics. So, the battles begin and spread out. The hispanics come in and tend to get section 8 in better then public housing areas, bringing the drama to the burbs.

It is controlled mayhem.
  • Chi~Cat Lanikai 2012/06/19 15:55:56 (edited)
    Chi~Cat
    +3
    Mayhem for Madness. Thanks, Lani.

edit: I just had a conversation with someone about that. Out here it is due to closing the projects down. You are spot on with that one.
  • Lanikai Chi~Cat 2012/06/19 15:57:28
    +2
    Yep, like Houston, we took in a bunch of katrina folks, they caused problems and still do, NOW we have various hispanic gangs, and the black gangs and in the Florida panhandle some russians all fighting for territory, Middle America is caught in the crossfire.
  • Marvelo... Mungu 2012/06/19 00:18:12
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +3
    You state: "I don't see how letting folk carry guns will help, since most of the gun violence is not of the random "stick um up" variety."

Because where the intended victims are rendered defenseless, the predators are free to prey on whom they wish without fear of harm.

Do a little research, and you'll see what where the intended prey is disarmed, the violent crime rates are highest.
  • Mungu Marvelo... 2012/06/19 01:30:08
    Mungu
    +1
    Having a gun on your hip won't protect kids from getting shot by untrained poor aiming drive by shooters. Myself carrying a gun while walking to the corner store for some milk and butter won't protect me from the same, no matter how careful I am or weighted down with guns and ammo. Perhaps if I wore body armor. But do we really want to live in that world?
  • Chi~Cat Mungu 2012/06/19 03:50:37
    Chi~Cat
    +3
    I have to agree with you. You sound like a....I won't say it here.
  • Mungu Chi~Cat 2012/06/19 14:19:58
    Mungu
    +2
    ? I have been called many things here. I joke around alot, but this is serious. I hear gun shots almost every night. Not cool. Any real patriot would see this as a national problem and not something to make fun of or try and demean fellow Americans.
  • Chi~Cat Mungu 2012/06/19 15:58:03
    Chi~Cat
    +2
    So do I. I am not in a dreamland. I know Chicago like the back of my hand. Trust me.
  • Marvelo... Mungu 2012/06/19 04:51:14
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +2
    You state: "Having a gun on your hip won't protect kids from getting shot by untrained poor aiming drive by shooters."

I would bet, if the adults who should be *SUPERVISING* those children, delivered well aimed return fire; killing the POSs doing the drive-by, would do a *LOT* to reduce the mowing down of of the defenseless.

You state: "Myself carrying a gun while walking to the corner store for some milk and butter won't protect me from the same, no matter how careful I am or weighted down with guns and ammo."

I can't speak for you, but my gun, has helped me on 2 separate trips "to get milk", to stop armed assaults.
    Read what happened to an acquaintance, Thomas Glenn Terry, when he went to dinner with his wife at Shoney's Family Restaurant, just 2 months after the Luby's Massacre. And how it turned out differently than Luby's because he was armed.

You state: "Perhaps if I wore body armor. But do we really want to live in that world?"

Each of the *UNARMED* people that were murdered, didn't *live* at all.
    I would *NEVER* want you forced to be armed.
    However, while you obviously don't, I have people in my life whose lives are worth protecting.
  • Mungu Marvelo... 2012/06/19 14:51:55
    Mungu
    +1
    Reality check.................Many children are in single parent homes. The parent is working and they go to school alone.

I hear what you are trying to say in regards to personal protection, but let me put it to you this way. I am a big water buffalo, the leopards, hyenas and lions avoid me. The carnivores go after the weak and exposed. I don't use or traffic in drugs. $#@! I don't even drink beer and I'm not foolish enough to walk down the street with gold chains or diamond rings. Yet that will not protect me from some kid that sneaks his uncles gun to school because he is in a machismo contest and things go wrong.

This is not the wild west. It would be better to wear a mask, body armor and kick some hoodlum @$$ to put fear in their heart than put more guns on the street. dudududu
  • Marvelo... Mungu 2012/06/19 16:32:35
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    You state: "Yet that will not protect me from some kid that sneaks his uncles gun to school because he is in a machismo contest and things go wrong."

And exactly how does your belief in "The more helpless you are, when attacked with deadly intent, the *SAFER* you are" work? Where has it actually *PROVEN* to save lives? Virginia Tech? Fort Hood? Luby's? Columbine?

Please explain to me, how you believe that by being unarmed when confronted by a deadly menace like "some kid that sneaks his uncles gun to school because he is in a machismo contest and things go wrong" is safer than being able to shoot back.

You state: "This is not the wild west."

No it is *NOT* the "wild west", we live in much more dangerous times because of the cowardly.

If you did a little actual research, you learn that the "wild west", wasn't *ANYTHING* like you were taught to believe by television.
    Violent crime was so *RARE* in the "wild west", that over 130 years ago, there was a shootout (Over gun control!). There were 3 people killed, and the whole WORLD knows all about "The gunfight at the OK Corral"! Many even know the names of the participants on both sides from this rare act of violence of over 130 years ago.

Yet just 13 years ago, and 70 miles from the OK Corral, 3 people were shot to death in a Tucson Pizza...

You state: "This is not the wild west."

Yet just 13 years ago, and 70 miles from the OK Corral, 3 people were shot to death in a Tucson Pizza Hut. Because of the commonality of violence in this modern day, even with in the "Information Age" virtually no one has heard of the shooting, nor knows the victims names or the names of the shooters.
  • Mungu Marvelo... 2012/06/19 17:48:44
    Mungu
    +1
    You just not seeing my point. I'm telling you that I would not be the intended target from the kid with his uncles gun. I would just be at the wrong place that the wrong time. No amount of ammo can protect you from random senseless violence. The child would not be aiming at me or the 6 year old girl on her bike.

Unlike some here I don't see these unfortunate incidents as an excuse to even exercise the imagination to slaughter fellow Americans. Some of you should really be mindful of the venom you allow to enter your consciousness. I indeed "hate" the acts. But these "hoodlums", "thugs", "gangbangers" etc........ are my nephews, sons, brothers, cousins, neighbors..............

You can't see that the very evil you try to project on others has already consumed your souls.
  • Marvelo... Mungu 2012/06/19 18:49:29
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    You state: "You just not seeing my point. I'm telling you that I would not be the intended target from the kid with his uncles gun. I would just be at the wrong place that the wrong time. No amount of ammo can protect you from random senseless violence. The child would not be aiming at me or the 6 year old girl on her bike."

But what you don't understand, when the punk starts wildly shoots towards *ME* or *MINE*, a controlled pair in the center of his chest, *WILL* discourage his continued shooting and other *CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR*.
    Where as, your idea of letting him shoot until he runs out of ammo, will do nothing to stop future such events.

You state: "Unlike some here I don't see these unfortunate incidents as an excuse to even exercise the imagination to slaughter fellow Americans."

What you can't seem to understand:
    I don't carry a spare tire and jack in *EACH* of my vehicles, *HOPING* to have a blowout or *HOPING* for an opportunity to get to change a flat tire either.
    I don't have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in my home, *HOPING* for the screeching in the middle of the night, to have an excuse to jump out of bed, and get my children out of the house in the dark of night.
    I don't have insurance on my home, *HOPING* someone will break-in or burn it down.
    I don't carry insu...

What you can't seem to understand:
    I don't carry insurance on my car because I am a poor driver, and I hope to get a new vehicle if someone hit me.

A gun is no different.
    All the POS, that you call "fellow Americans", need do to never have to worry about a bullet from me: Pose no *ILLEGAL* threat to me or mine.
    Is that really asking so much?

You state: "Some of you should really be mindful of the venom you allow to enter your consciousness. I indeed "hate" the acts. But these "hoodlums", "thugs", "gangbangers" etc........ are my nephews, sons, brothers, cousins, neighbors.............."

While they may be *YOUR* family, *MY FAMILY*, and society itself, would be made a better place and society would be better off, if they were sent "Late to Breakfast in HELL" during the commission of their *CRIMINAL ACTS*.

You state: "You can't see that the very evil you try to poject on others has already consumed your souls."

Actual, it's *NOT* "Projection" when the *THREAT* they pose to innocent victims is *REAL*.
    While you're making excused for the worthless pieces of $hit, innocent people are having their lives tragically altered by those you're making excuses for.

Each criminal that dies during the commission of their crime, makes society just a little bit safer and just a little bit BETTER.
  • Mungu Marvelo... 2012/06/19 19:36:08
    Mungu
    +1
    It appears that words will not get you to see the folly of your thinking. If I could I would give you the Roddy Piper treatment and make you wear the magic glasses.

Since I can't, I wish you peace and love. One day we will see.
  • Marvelo... Mungu 2012/06/19 19:42:36
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    As I wish for you as well.

May your loved ones never learn the truth about your belief the hard way.

Peace to you as well.
  • whitewu... Mungu 2012/06/19 02:26:52
  • Chi~Cat whitewu... 2012/06/19 03:51:01
    Chi~Cat
    +3
    ww, you are reading him wrong.
  • Chi~Cat Mungu 2012/06/19 03:46:03
    Chi~Cat
    +3
    You know what. To hell with Lani's stats below. I am from Chi.

All I ask you is what hood, HS?
  • Mungu Chi~Cat 2012/06/19 15:04:56
    Mungu
    +2
    I was raised in south suburbs, when it was still mostly white (Polish/Czech/Croat etc.. to be exact). Went to Bremen HS.
    I now live in South Shore. Mostly middle class hood, with its pockets of undesirable areas (mostly court yard apartments with the young poor).
  • Chi~Cat Mungu 2012/06/19 16:02:22
    Chi~Cat
    +3
    I grew up Chicago proper. Had every gang you can think of in my hood. Check out my comments to wilddog down this poll. We have gone through hell out here to preserve our city and neighborhood. Closed schools, bused them in, we molotoved our own park. Scope the last comments and you will see that I don't mess around.

You take care. I grew up in Lincoln Park and it was not then what is now, trust me. I grew up with let me count: LK, Insane Unknowns, Simon City Royals, Latin Eagles, Gangster Disciples, Harrison Gents, you name it. WE do not mess around. The biggest reason why the gangs are in the 'burbs is because the city closed down Cabrini Green and gave section 8 and look what happened to Aurora. I'm with you. Don't preach to the choir. I know, Man.
  • Mungu Chi~Cat 2012/06/19 16:43:14
    Mungu
    +1
    By the time I moved to the inner city and had reason to venture into Lincoln Park (Whole Foods & Trader Joe's), the changes had already taken place there. I have had plenty of people tell me how things use to be there.
  • Chi~Cat Mungu 2012/06/19 17:15:38 (edited)

2014/09/02 02:33:29