2012 Election: Will Campaign Donations Determine the Winner?

Fef 2012/07/23 16:00:00
Campaign donations play an important role in elections. Candidates need to raise money to get their message across using advertising on television, radio, the internet, etc... Candidates also need to travel, employ campaign strategists and workers, spend money on other logistics of running a national campaign.

Barack Obama spent $740 million dollars to win in 2008 -- more money than any campaign in American history. President Obama may need to spend more than that to win a re-election.

Obama's challenger, Mitt Romney, raised $106 million in June. Romney has received large donations from Republicans to rival the large Super PAC donations Obama received from celebrities like Morgan Freeman.

Associated Press reports:
June was the second consecutive month in which Romney brought in more money than Obama, finance reports filed Friday show. Romney's money advantage prompted Obama's campaign advisers to warn earlier this month that the president could lose the election if the financial disparity continued.
morgan freeman

Read More: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CAMPAIGN...

• kaybera 2012/08/23 04:46:32
    kaybera
    Super Pac's politicians bought and paid for... so who is the biggest whore who has raised the most campaign donations
  • paul 2012/07/27 22:29:55
    paul
    Provided that the people realize that this country has a problem it will ultimately come down to the vote, Obamacrats and Soros hate this country. They are of a Socialist group who are not looking to preserve the freedom that our Constitution offers. They are out to dismantle it. This election should not be about money, it should be about preserving and protecting the American way of life that other country's don't have. On November 6th, Barack Obama must be voted out.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/07/27 21:49:51
    Tennessee3501
    Donations and big money are always important. Without money, you can not get out your message!
  • t.eliot, topbard 2012/07/26 17:10:21
    t.eliot, topbard
    The fact that this question is out there indicates that it will quite possibly be answered in the affirmative. What this says is that our elections are for sale to the highest bidder and that real people have no chance at elected office, and this trend is spreading to lower level offices (like school boards) as well. Our system reinforces the concept that money equals power.
  • miranda monet 2012/07/26 15:48:14
    miranda monet
    Mitt has a BAD track record . TAX BREAKS for the Rich only & 19% Taxes if your poor . How's this Rite?
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/07/26 15:13:33
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    It's the economy stupid ............
  • abubinc... CUDDLY ... 2012/07/27 02:37:34
    abubincrazy
    +1
    Smells familiar... ragin cajun
  • CUDDLY ... abubinc... 2012/07/27 04:07:16
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    What did/does Mary Maitland see in him? Maybe it's because I'm a guy ........
  • abubinc... CUDDLY ... 2012/07/27 04:13:27
    abubincrazy
    +1
    No, he's a scary-looking hump.
    I'm a guy, too.
    But he's a leftist, and that is something I couldn't overlook from Kate Upton.
    For more than a year or so.
  • chris.haynees 2012/07/26 14:41:27
    chris.haynees
    No The rich in power will.
  • findthelight2000 2012/07/26 14:14:59
    findthelight2000
    +2
    When a candidate is as bad as Mitt Romney is and has so many skeletons in his closet, big money will have a hard time convincing people to vote for him. However, if Romney does win, it will be because of the big money that went to support Romney's promise of more corporate welfare and extra tax cuts for the rich. Anyone that isn't a billionaire that votes for Romney just hasn't a brain worth using.
  • JAA 2012/07/26 12:46:39 (edited)
    JAA
    That is unless Obama's [no PBUH] Chicago thugs, union thugs, fellow gay activists, fellow cocaine sniffers, & liberal miscreants (former ACORN members) break some legs, threaten voters, disenfranchise white people, or write-in votes for dead people (particularly dead children as we've recently learned), illegal immigrants, etc. That's what our political system has come to . . . Chicago, San Francisco, & New York need to be destroyed (after we allow for time for the good citizens to vamoose).
  • miranda... JAA 2012/07/26 15:55:46
    miranda monet
    Don't you Mean Mitt commitimg vote Fraud by taking Poor people off voter roles or making them have I D & them Not being able to afford it .? Wish Americans Would Wise up and Vote the Economic Class not their IQ . Mitt is like Bush a hand in his back for puppet stings . Wake up AMERICA!!!
  • JAA miranda... 2012/07/26 16:33:25 (edited)
    JAA
    No, if I meant to describe Romney, I would have mentioned his name, now, wouldn't I?

My IQ is 136, which is in the "gifted" portion of the intelligence spectrum. I'm also lower middle class financially, & grew up dirt poor, so I am very familiar with the plight of the "economically disadvantaged", but unlike most minorities & miscreants, I use my brain when voting, not my emotions & not my selfish human nature. I vote for who will do the better job at leading the country, NOT who will be better at keeping the country poor, subservient, & ignorant, not to mention selling out our country to our enemies. In other words, I vote with my brain, not my emotions. I utilize common sense, historical truths, divine truths, "facts", and reasoning. Obama [no PBUH] may be a pretty boy & may be wonderful at reading a teleprompter, but he's a dumb bunny, a statist, and an amateur where it comes to leading an exceptional country. He's a former (maybe current) coke head, & more than likely a closet Muslim & homosexual/bisexual, a miscreant. He definitely is not a Christian if he actually believes what he has stated is "Christianity".

Obama [no PBUH] is evil. He hates half, if not most of the country he is supposed to be leading. He lies every time he addresses the People, & he has no moral c...

&

Obama [no PBUH] is evil. He hates half, if not most of the country he is supposed to be leading. He lies every time he addresses the People, & he has no moral compass, IMO.

Romney is probably evil, too, but the jury is still out on him. Bush is/was a moderate, or what we lovingly refer to as a RINO (same with Boehner & McCain). You wish to vote for obvious evil, Obama [no PBUH], so I would say that you are speaking to yourself when you yell, "Wake up AMERICA!!!" Shameful hypocrisy.
  • pizzaman7 2012/07/26 12:14:45
    pizzaman7
    It's the economy stupid !
  • james.bowman.146 2012/07/26 08:42:46
    james.bowman.146
    Already did. Vote Republicrat or Democran and Goldman Sachs won.
  • Reykjavik 2012/07/26 08:08:29
    Reykjavik
    Let's just hope that Obama's policies transcends into the minds of the sheeple.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/07/26 07:37:55
    nothingbutthetruth
    THE PEOPLE WOULD!
  • Charles R. Anderson 2012/07/26 07:19:09
    Charles R. Anderson
    +1
    The lines are drawn on political principles. Obama wants much more government and more government controls. Romney has more faith in the private sector and less in government. Then there is the obvious failure of Obama in that he has made it impossible for the economy to recover from this never-ending recession, which was mostly caused by government.
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2012/07/26 04:30:01
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +1
    Any Republican would require a huge monetary advantage to overcome the Media bias that favors liberal candidates.
    Without the meda's liberal bias, liberals wouldn't have a prayer.
  • Bob 2012/07/26 03:20:56
    Bob
    This current jerk couldn't win again with all the money he " shared" with us!!! Giving this AH the key to the "Piggy Bank" was as big a stupidity as electing him.
  • RogerCoppock 2012/07/26 02:15:48
    RogerCoppock
    Are the American people and their government for sale to the highest bidder? Yes.
  • CODE 11 2012/07/26 01:12:13
    CODE 11
    +1
    Obama just established a goverment office to get blacks ...all the help they can in advancing themselfs....this is for blacks only..whites need not apply.
  • mind-pilot 2012/07/26 00:39:07
    mind-pilot
    No, the American spirit of just plain vote-rigging might determine this. I know I won't vote for any of the superpack presidents. I don't want a foreign corporation owning my government. I can't stand a rich guy who won't tell me where his money is, or, why it's overseas. I wanted a Disclosure Act for who was contributing what and my republican constituents voted Disclosure down. I know I don't like Citizens United because I know the Communist Red Chinese are pulling strings and using our own money against us since Bush had to "borrow" all that coin for two wars that are not finished yet.
    I'll contribute grassroots. I don't believe a "corporation is a person". And I don't believe "money is speech". I'm surprised at all the yanks that are just lying down for this garbage.
  • Skar 2012/07/25 23:51:52
    Skar
    The national popular vote is not the basis for electing a President or Vice President, it's the Electoral College that determines who will actually win.
  • bob h. 2012/07/25 20:48:51
    bob h.
    It will determine which way the media goes. But Romney is universally disliked. "Us People" don't like him. Just that simple. It's not that he's a draft dodger, a vulture, a fair weather Repo, a Mormon w/ a Bible he found somewhere, a millionaire tax-dodger w/ a con artist smile. It's that Nixon smile.
  • abubinc... bob h. 2012/07/25 21:05:09
    abubincrazy
    +1
    You live in an alternate "universe", Bob.
    Con artist?
    Obama was going to debate Obamacare on CSPAN. Did he?
    He was going to eliminate bagmen, lobbyists. Did he?
    He was going to eliminate waste and fraud, and cut the deficit in HALF in his "first" term.
    Did he?
    Get a frigging clue, Bob.
  • mind-pilot abubinc... 2012/07/26 00:43:32
    mind-pilot
    Hey, he used Romneycare....what about that? Hey, he used the republican budget proposals for the budget the republicans voted down. What about that? Hey he killed bin Ladin. What about that? Hey,hey, hey....He saved 3million jobs that Romney said just "flush it down the toilet" with General Motors....what about that? Hey, he doesn't have a horse in the Olympic races, what about that? What is it about that?
  • abubinc... mind-pilot 2012/07/26 02:41:34
    abubincrazy
    You just farted.
    I'll ignore it.
  • mind-pilot abubinc... 2012/07/26 15:08:41
    mind-pilot
    Oh well.
  • Bob mind-pilot 2012/07/26 03:31:11
    Bob
    You should sit down and actually read what you just posted and maybe you'll realize how stupid it was. God help us, they vote!!!
  • mind-pilot Bob 2012/07/26 15:08:14
    mind-pilot
    Wow! So tell me about Romneycare? Tell me about bankrupting GM? Tell me about that horse in the Olympics? Then tell me about the 90,000 jobs that Romney created. And the miserable performance in Massachusettes. I don't see how hard of a post that was to confuse you. I'm just having a little fun sheriff.
  • bob h. abubinc... 2012/07/26 01:03:21
    bob h.
    Waste and fraud. That would be Romney.
  • CODE 11 bob h. 2012/07/26 01:13:58
    CODE 11
    +2
    I believe you just descibed the Democratic party.
  • abubinc... bob h. 2012/07/26 02:40:55
    abubincrazy
    +1
    No answer, huh, Bob?
  • bob h. abubinc... 2012/07/27 03:45:32
    bob h.
    OK, no. Happy?
  • abubinc... bob h. 2012/07/27 03:53:37
    abubincrazy
    Not especially.
    I'd be happy if you realized what a rotten bastard you suport.
  • gocar 2012/07/25 19:20:25
    gocar
    +1
    The winner is 99% of the time the guy who raised the most money. Corporations know that. The lobbyist know that. How come voters don't know that?
  • bob h. gocar 2012/07/26 01:04:36
    bob h.
    Yeah, yeah, that's what they tell them every time. And they still fall for it.
  • jdemme 2012/07/25 17:53:48
    jdemme
    We've already seen it happen in Wisconsin. Ads can do a lot of damage.

Also, did you know that 24% of campaign contributions come from .000064% of the populous? Is that sick or what?

2014/09/23 17:27:44