20 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO CONSERVE ENERGY. Are you willing to help conserve energy by trying one or more of these?

eauclairewisconsinboy 2008/11/21 20:23:07
I already do one or more of these things. And will try to do more.
I don't do any of these things now but will try to in the future.
I don't care about conserving energy. Global warming isn't man made anyway.
Whenever you save energy, you not only save money, you also reduce the demand for such fossil fuels as coal, oil, and natural gas. Less burning of fossil fuels also means lower emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), the primary contributor to global warming, and other pollutants.

You do not have to do without to achieve these savings. There is now an energy efficient alternative for almost every kind of appliance or light fixture. That means that consumers have a real choice and the power to change their energy use on a revolutionary scale.

The average American produces about 40,000 pounds of CO2 emissions per year. Together, we use nearly a million dollars worth of energy every minute, night and day, every day of the year. By exercising even a few of the following steps, you can cut your annual emissions by thousands of pounds and your energy bills by a significant amount!

Home appliances

1. Turn your refrigerator down. Refrigerators account for about 20% of Household electricity use. Use a thermometer to set your refrigerator temperature as close to 37 degrees and your freezer as close to 3 degrees as possible. Make sure that its energy saver switch is turned on. Also, check the gaskets around your refrigerator/freezer doors to make sure they are clean and sealed tightly.
2. Set your clothes washer to the warm or cold water setting, not hot. Switching from hot to warm for two loads per week can save nearly 500 pounds of CO2 per year if you have an electric water heater, or 150 pounds for a gas heater.
3. Make sure your dishwasher is full when you run it and use the energy saving setting, if available, to allow the dishes to air dry. You can also turn off the drying cycle manually. Not using heat in the drying cycle can save 20 percent of your dishwasher's total electricity use.
4. Turn down your water heater thermostat. Thermostats are often set to 140 degrees F when 120 is usually fine. Each 10 degree reduction saves 600 pounds of CO2 per year for an electric water heater, or 440 pounds for a gas heater. If every household turned its water heater thermostat down 20 degrees, we could prevent more than 45 million tons of annual CO2 emissions - the same amount emitted by the entire nations of Kuwait or Libya.
5. Select the most energy-efficient models when you replace your old appliances. Look for the Energy Star Label - your assurance that the product saves energy and prevents pollution. Buy the product that is sized to your typical needs - not the biggest one available. Front loading washing machines will usually cut hot water use by 60 to 70% compared to typical machines. Replacing a typical 1973 refrigerator with a new energy-efficient model, saves 1.4 tons of CO2 per year. Investing in a solar water heater can save 4.9 tons of CO2 annually.
Home Heating and Cooling
6. Be careful not to overheat or overcool rooms. In the winter, set your thermostat at 68 degrees in daytime, and 55 degrees at night. In the summer, keep it at 78. Lowering your thermostat just two degrees during winter saves 6 percent of heating-related CO2 emissions. That's a reduction of 420 pounds of CO2 per year for a typical home.
7. Clean or replace air filters as recommended. Energy is lost when air conditioners and hot-air furnaces have to work harder to draw air through dirty filters. Cleaning a dirty air conditioner filter can save 5 percent of the energy used. That could save 175 pounds of CO2 per year.

Small investments that pay off
8. Buy energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs for your most-used lights. Although they cost more initially, they save money in the long run by using only 1/4 the energy of an ordinary incandescent bulb and lasting 8-12 times longer. They provide an equivalent amount of bright, attractive light. Only 10% of the energy consumed by a normal light bulb generates light. The rest just makes the bulb hot. If every American household replaced one of its standard light bulbs with an energy efficient compact fluorescent bulb, we would save the same amount of energy as a large nuclear power plant produces in one year. In a typical home, one compact fluorescent bulb can save 260 pounds of CO2 per year.
9. Wrap your water heater in an insulating jacket, which costs just $10 to $20. It can save 1100 lbs. of CO2 per year for an electric water heater, or 220 pounds for a gas heater.
10. Use less hot water by installing low-flow shower heads. They cost just $10 to $20 each, deliver an invigorating shower, and save 300 pounds of CO2 per year for electrically heated water, or 80 pounds for gas-heated water.
11. Weatherize your home or apartment, using caulk and weather stripping to plug air leaks around doors and windows. Caulking costs less than $1 per window, and weather stripping is under $10 per door. These steps can save up to 1100 pounds of CO2 per year for a typical home. Ask your utility company for a home energy audit to find out where your home is poorly insulated or energy inefficient. This service may be provided free or at low cost. Make sure it includes a check of your furnace and air conditioning.

Getting around
12. Whenever possible, walk, bike, car pool, or use mass transit. Every gallon of gasoline you save avoids 22 pounds of CO2 emissions. If your car gets 25 miles per gallon, for example, and you reduce your annual driving from 12,000 to 10,000 miles, you'll save 1800 pounds of CO2.
13. When you next buy a car, choose one that gets good mileage. If your new car gets 40 miles per gallon instead of 25, and you drive 10,000 miles per year, you'll reduce your annual CO2 emissions by 3,300 pounds.

Reduce, reuse, recycle
14. Reduce the amount of waste you produce by buying minimally packaged goods, choosing reusable products over disposable ones, and recycling. For every pound of waste you eliminate or recycle, you save energy and reduce emissions of CO2 by at least 1 pound. Cutting down your garbage by half of one large trash bag per week saves at least 1100 pounds of CO2 per year. Making products with recycled materials, instead of from scratch with raw materials, uses 30 to 55% less for paper products, 33% less for glass, and a whopping 90% less for aluminum.
15. If your car has an air conditioner, make sure its coolant is recovered and recycled whenever you have it serviced. In the United States, leakage from auto air conditioners is the largest single source of emissions of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which damage the ozone layer as well as add to global warming. The CFCs from one auto air conditioner can add the equivalent of 4800 pounds of CO2 emissions per year.

• Kelly~Saved "In God We Trust" 2008/11/21 23:01:48
    Kelly~Saved "In God We Trust"
    +7
    Adding more of these tips to the list of things that I already do would make for a great New Year's Resolution! Thank you for the post....very informative :)
    adding tips list years resolution post informative

• eauclai... Kelly~S... 2008/11/21 23:07:16
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +5
    YW Kelly. And thanks for looking!
  • BenTwig Kelly~S... 2008/11/22 00:10:57
    BenTwig
    +5
    Awesome graphic!!!!
  • bdb Kelly~S... 2008/11/23 00:35:34
    bdb
    +2
    Oh Kelly! I love this picture! Thank you so much!
  • Kelly~S... bdb 2008/11/23 02:49:13
    Kelly~Saved "In God We Trust"
    +2
    You are so welcome, bdb :)
  • eauclai... bdb 2008/11/23 02:54:29
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +1
    That is a great pic!
  • Lunacat 2008/11/21 22:18:28
    Lunacat
    +6
    Great tips!
  • eauclai... Lunacat 2008/11/21 23:06:06
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +4
    Thanks Luna!!
  • Janice 2008/11/21 22:04:51
  • eauclai... Janice 2008/11/21 23:05:47
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +5
    YW Janice!
  • sadiesmom 2008/11/21 21:41:51
    sadiesmom
    +7
    Fridge is down, dryer gets used minimally, CFL's in place, still have $10.00 in my gas tank from LAST November, lights and appliances are turned off when not in use. Other items on power strips and the entire strip gets turned off when one of the items is not in use.

We signed up for windpower and get most of our electric back-due to sell energy back to the company.

Think we're doing pretty good!
  • eauclai... sadiesmom 2008/11/21 23:05:20
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +5
    You're doing very good!! So you have a wind mill on your property? Got any pics? Minnesota is putting up wind farms from one side of the state to the other. It makes me feel good about people being serious moving into the future. Thanks sm!

property pics minnesota wind farms feel people moving future sm
  • sadiesmom eauclai... 2008/11/21 23:08:28
    sadiesmom
    +6
    Not on my property..purchased shares from XCEL and they pay me over and above what we use, most months.
  • eauclai... sadiesmom 2008/11/22 01:11:29
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +2
    That's nice!
  • BenTwig 2008/11/21 21:12:29
    BenTwig
    +7
    I like the idea of personal responsibility when it comes to my consumption of natural resources, for when they are gone....THEY ARE GONE!!!
  • eauclai... BenTwig 2008/11/21 22:51:24
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +4
    Our resources are definitely finite. We all need to start living like we understand that.
    Here's an article I put into a blog by WWF about our consumption. Thanks Ben!

http://www.sodahead.com/blog/...
  • get real 2008/11/21 20:48:09
    get real
    +3
    Nasa put out a release of data they have collected. Global Warming isn't true. We have a global climate. Nothing we do can alter it one way or another. Global climate has existed before man and will exist after. Look at history for the facts and not this farse.
  • BenTwig get real 2008/11/21 21:09:24
    BenTwig
    +6
    Always nice to see the "I don't have to be responsible for shit" philosophy in a place that calls for a more proactive approach to how we treat our mother earth! Close your eyes and throw another bag of trash out your car window and we'll just call it decoration!
  • eauclai... BenTwig 2008/11/21 23:01:05
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +5
    Most people seem to want to help. There will always be those who say it's not our responsibility. I can't see why anyone wouldn't at least want to cut down on pollution but I have huge sense of personal responsibility myself. I'll do whatever I can for sure.
  • Kelly~S... eauclai... 2008/11/21 23:08:39
    Kelly~Saved "In God We Trust"
    +4
    Good for you!
  • Kelly~S... BenTwig 2008/11/21 23:07:25
    Kelly~Saved "In God We Trust"
    +4
    This is one of the things I love about you, Ben. You get right to the point without making it a personal attack!
    love ben personal attack
  • BenTwig Kelly~S... 2008/11/22 00:08:33
    BenTwig
    +3
    Hee Hee, call em like I see em. Love the cartoon...LOL
  • eauclai... BenTwig 2008/11/22 01:12:20
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +2
    Love that cartoon too!
  • get real BenTwig 2008/11/22 19:31:31
    get real
    I can tell by you remark how idiotic you really are.I never said I throw trash out my window. What, huh? Oh your pulling it out of you anus. Maybe you should go green and save your feces and recycle it in your back yard. Call it conserving.
  • bdb get real 2008/11/23 00:38:59
    bdb
    +2
    get real, you really do need to GET REAL!
  • eauclai... get real 2008/11/21 22:58:29
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +5
    Even if global warming isn't true. What about just the pollution factor alone? And from studying glacial ice, the climate has changed throughout history but never as fast as as it has since the industrial age. And there were two NASA reports on this. The one that took into consideration human activity actually says global warming is affected by humans.

http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook...

Analyzing global warming

Scientists use information from several sources to analyze global warming that occurred before people began to use thermometers. Those sources include tree rings, cores (cylindrical samples) of ice drilled from Antarctica and Greenland, and cores drilled out of sediments in oceans. Information from these sources indicates that the temperature increase of the 1900's was probably the largest in the last 1,000 years.

Computers help climatologists analyze past climate changes and predict future changes. First, a scientist programs a computer with a set of mathematical equations known as a climate model. The equations describe how various factors, such as the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, affect the temperature of Earth's surface. Next, the scientist enters data representing the values of those factors at a certain time. He or she then runs the program, and the computer describes ...'

""

http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook...

Analyzing global warming

Computers help climatologists analyze past climate changes and predict future changes. First, a scientist programs a computer with a set of mathematical equations known as a climate model. The equations describe how various factors, such as the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, affect the temperature of Earth's surface. Next, the scientist enters data representing the values of those factors at a certain time. He or she then runs the program, and the computer describes how the temperature would vary. A computer's representation of changing climatic conditions is known as a climate simulation.

In 2001, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a group sponsored by the United Nations (UN), published results of climate simulations in a report on global warming. Climatologists used three simulations to determine whether natural variations in climate produced the warming of the past 100 years. The first simulation took into account both natural processes and human activities that affect the climate. The second simulation took into account only the natural processes, and the third only the human activities.

The climatologists then compared the temperatures predicted by the three simulations with the actual temperatures recorded by thermometers. Only the first simulation, which took into account both natural processes and human activities, produced results that corresponded closely to the recorded temperatures.

The IPCC also published results of simulations that predicted temperatures until 2100. The different simulations took into account the same natural processes but different patterns of human activity. For example, scenarios differed in the amounts of CO2 that would enter the atmosphere due to human activities.

The simulations showed that there can be no "quick fix" to the problem of global warming. Even if all emissions of greenhouse gases were to cease immediately, the temperature would continue to increase after 2100 because of the greenhouse gases already in the atmosphere.
  • celticdragonfly 2008/11/21 20:29:54
    celticdragonfly
    +3
    Reading the list I can confidently say I do almost everything on it! I only use cold water to wash clothes. I just replaced my appliances and all are energy star. I keep my heat set at 65 degrees and shut off the rooms I don't use all the time. I recycle everything and I compost. I just moved closer to my work so I can walk. I do have to check my hot water heater...that may be set to high.
  • eauclai... celticd... 2008/11/21 22:48:19
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +4
    You're on top of things for sure cdf!! That's great. Hot water accounts for over 30% of most homes energy use. Thanks!

cdf hot water accounts 30 homes energy
  • dobemom 2008/11/21 20:27:11
    dobemom
    +2
    I do this to save money---Global Warming is a MYTH!
  • BenTwig dobemom 2008/11/21 21:11:35
    BenTwig
    +2
    You are so right. I mean there is no way our pollution is effecting our global environment because we are just sooo above that.
  • dobemom BenTwig 2008/11/21 21:15:54
    dobemom
    +2
    I did not say anything about the environment-------I agree that pollution needs to be decreased and that we need alternative resources---BUT we could stop driving all of our cars and that will not change the climate--- Climate change is caused by SUN SPOTS--has been going on for many many years...........
  • BenTwig dobemom 2008/11/21 21:24:47
    BenTwig
    +2
    Sun spots yes, which is greatly aggravated by pollutants within the atmosphere. Global warming, I agree is old and outdated terminology for what is happening, that does not change the FACT that our pollution does have an effect on a naturally occurring process.
  • eauclai... BenTwig 2008/11/21 22:44:36
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +3
    Humans are a great capacity for destruction for sure! The rain forests being cut down release enormous amounts of Carbon also. Then since their gone, can't help absorb it anymore either. It's time to stop polluting our environment.

destruction rain forests cut release enormous carbon absorb polluting environment
  • eauclai... dobemom 2008/11/21 22:41:29
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +4
    I'm personally most worried about the pollution factor. But I do believe humans are contributing to the warming of the earth a great deal. CO2 traps heat in that would normally escape into space. Sulfur, lead, mercury and non combusted fossil fuels just can't be good no matter how you look at it.

traps heat escape space sulfur lead mercury combusted fossil fuels
  • eauclairewisconsinboy 2008/11/21 20:26:28
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +5
    I attempt to do many of the things on this list and will continue to do more. I am totally committed to energy conservation.
  • Self - Deactivation. 2008/11/21 20:25:30
    Self - Deactivation.
    +4
    thanks for the tips
  • eauclai... Self - ... 2008/11/21 20:27:16
    eauclairewisconsinboy
    +2
    YW mama!

2014/07/29 15:06:42