17 Year Old Girl Commits Suicide After A Video Of Her Allegedly Getting Raped Goes VIRAL! WTF?

moonchild 2013/04/09 22:11:19

Rahtaeh was raped by 4 boys when she was 15 years old and nothing was done about it. One of the boys took pictures of her while it was happening and then distributed them around her school and community, labeling her a slut. When she found out about the pictures, she went to the police.

It had been a couple of days, so they couldn't do a rape kit on her. The police waited a long time to interview the boys and never did anything about the pictures. To the community she was considered a slut. Her case wasn't taken seriously and eventually was dropped.

She was harrassed by people all the time and was made fun of constantly. Rahtaeh and her family moved to try to avoid the embarrasment, shame, and bullying that Rahtaeh was a victim to after her raping, but that wasn't enough. In the end Rahtaeh killed herself. She was 17 years old.

Did the whole rape culture cause her to kill herself? Does this mentality need to change?

OR

Did Rahtaeh bring this on herself? Did she deserve this treatment?

Is seems to me that girls are being raped and then made to feel shameful about it because the people raping them title them a slut. People would rather just see these girls as tramps rather than victims.

FULL ARTICLE:

Seventeen months ago a Canadian teen was allegedly gang-raped
by four of her peers and the photo evidence of the rape spread across
her community. But unlike the situation that unfolded in Steubenville,
where the victim was at least given the comfort of knowing her
assailants received some measure of punishment (even if the media
took their side), this case ended in tragedy: The victim was taken off
life support by her family on Sunday, three days after attempting to end
her own life.

Seventeen-year-old Rehtaeh Parsons’ suicide was the harrowing end to a
story involving not only sexual assault, but also the issues of
harassment and victim-blaming that are problematic symptoms of rape culture.
According to her mother Leah Parsons’ post on her Facebook, Rehtaeh was
subject to significant bullying from her peers, who labeled her as a
“slut”:

“The [p]erson Rehtaeh once was all changed one dreaded
night in November 2011. She went with a friend to another’s home. In
that home she was raped by four young boys…one of those boys
took a photo of her being raped and decided it would be fun to
distribute the photo to everyone in Rehtaeh’s school and community where
it quickly went viral. Because the boys already had a “slut” story, the
victim of the rape Rehtaeh was considered a SLUT.

Parsons didn’t know about the assault until days after it happened,
when Rehteah broke down in the kitchen crying. At that point, it was too
late for a rape kit — which may have contributed to the fact that the
Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) dropped their investigation after a
year without charges.

But there were other issues with the investigation as well, Parsons told
the Halifax Chronicle Herald: “[t]hey didn’t even interview the boys
until much, much later” and “nothing was done about [the photos] because
they couldn’t prove who had pressed the photo button on the phone.” She
was told that even the distribution of the photos was “not really a
criminal issue,” despite the fact that Rehtaeh was 15 at the time,
meaning the photos constituted child pornography.

While the investigation was ongoing, Rehtaeh struggled with anger and
depression leading to her hospitalization on one occasion. She also
moved to a different city to avoid harassment of her peers, including a
barrage of texts asking “Will you have sex with me?” and telling her
“You’re such a slut.” The Steubenville victim similarly faced harassing
text messages after her identity was revealed by news coverage, including threats resulting in charges against two teens.

victim harassing messages identity revealed news coverage threats charges teens

Read More: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/04/09/1840501...

• trollatc 2013/04/10 01:27:57
    Rape culture is shaping girls out to be sluts rather than victims and is wrong.
    trollatc
    +6
    As a father, I would have been put under the jail in this case. Headlines: 4 boys killed in Steubenville.

• cherrypopped 2013/07/31 16:18:18
    cherrypopped
    this story is sad and who ever did that to her i hope they rot in hell
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2013/07/31 13:50:01
    Artist~PWCM~
    Where's the father in all this? Were it my daughter those boys would be missing.
  • Angle 2013/05/04 22:02:27
    Angle
    Wtf she should had someone there to stop her
  • Amhi Angle 2013/05/23 18:12:25
    Amhi
    Stop 'her'? From what? Maybe you just didn't word your thoughts correctly, but your opinion and what you voted seem to be contradictory.
  • Angle Amhi 2013/05/24 01:17:00 (edited)
    Angle
    I mean she should to have had I friend stop her
  • Amhi Angle 2013/05/24 02:42:54
    Amhi
    It says in the article that "she went with a friend to another’s home."
  • Liz 2013/04/22 13:10:51
    Liz
    +1
    God help these poor victims it's so wrong and whoever put up the video needs to pay for what happened to this girl..My prayers go out to this girl and her family
  • katywon 2013/04/22 06:00:19
    katywon
    +1
    This is so sad. The police need to take these reports seriously and immediately. I don't know what community she was in but I don't understand why the community did not support her instead of embarrassing her.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2013/04/22 04:49:50
    nothingbutthetruth
    +2
    When guys do their damage, then take it upon themselves to brag about it that the victim had to commit suicide is an evil act.
  • Sofia ☆ Come Along, Pond 2013/04/21 19:43:36
    Sofia ☆ Come Along, Pond
    +2
    Yep, cruel people.
  • poet4justice 2013/04/21 17:19:12
    poet4justice
    +1
    Rape is not culture... it is a crime. and crime is a mindset that has two face.... one that it is that nothing will ever change their need until that need is met or they need be arouse by committing criminal to function daily
  • ehrhornp 2013/04/21 17:19:09
    ehrhornp
    +3
    Rape is an act of violence and should be treated as such. The people who did the raping should be the ones punished, not the girl.
    +3
    I am quite surprised at the parents in this case, the girls parents. I'd be more inclined to prosecute them for child endangerment and child neglect. Then go after the boys one at a time giving them each what they dished out. But the ones dishing it out would be should we say, well equipped.
  • carolynb 2013/04/21 16:54:14
    carolynb
    +4
    This sickens me. This was a beautiful girl who had her whole life ahead of her and because of some stupid boys who should get life in prison, has her life snuffed out.
  • C. C. R... carolynb 2013/04/21 18:16:44
    C. C. Rider
    +2
    Well said my friend. How it saddens me this still goes on.
  • Gary 2013/04/21 16:28:24
    Gary
    +3
    How did this kind of thinking all of a sudden come to the forefront.
    Now could it be things being said like if it is a ligament rape a women's
    body has the ability to shut that thing down. What the hell is there any other kind of rape?
    Those boys that raped that girl got what deserve.
    I guys who rape girls are rapists and male whores.
  • ProudProgressive 2013/04/21 16:26:47
    ProudProgressive
    +5
    One of the most tragic things I see in our present culture is the tendency to look at a victim of a horrible crime and see either a criminal or someone who "deserved" the harm that was done to her. This is not a matter of politics. It is not President Obama's fault and it is not George Bush's fault and it is not John Boehner's fault and it is not Nancy Pelosi's fault. Ultimately, I think it is OUR fault. We tolerate horrible situations like this one, or we try our best to pretend it never happened. I have no idea why. I don't know anyone who truly WANTS to encourage such despicable behavior. But I do know that it is US, it is me, it is you, and it is everyone else who reads this who have the obligation to do everything we can to try to prevent it from happening the next time.
  • bags th... ProudPr... 2013/04/21 18:12:05
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    *applause*
  • C. C. R... ProudPr... 2013/04/21 18:15:53
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    WEll said..and I have been guilty of looking the other way on these matters. Until I looked in the mirror and started fighting back for them.

• 3625417 2013/04/21 15:55:25
  • C. C. Rider 2013/04/21 15:43:03
    C. C. Rider
    +5
    I find it so sad that some have said "she asked for it" I do not recall ANY WOMAN ever "asking for it" A drunk or gal high is not an invatiation for sex, it is only a gal having a good time. A gal dressed sexy in not an invitaion for sex or asking for it either.

In this case I feel EVERYONE let her down. But it is time we look into laws, HARD LAWS WITH A BITE on people who posts ANY PICTURES of ANYONE with out their permission and web sites better get on the ball in making it EASY and FAST to REMOVE such pics.

The same with those pics done physically. WE lost a sweet soul over this.
  • poet4ju... C. C. R... 2013/04/21 17:25:27
    poet4justice
    +2
    i will like to say that a woman body is house and you don't do anything that house until the owner say so.
  • C. C. R... poet4ju... 2013/04/21 18:08:09
    C. C. Rider
    +2
    Thank you for a lovely statement. It is perfect. thank you
  • rahmeek 2013/04/14 20:00:01
  • rahmeek rahmeek 2013/04/15 17:56:29
  • marika 2013/04/12 21:25:31
    marika
    no young girl wants ro do it whit jo bob boll and his brother in 15 minutes ,,really we dont !!..,,i mean it ... and i wasnt that hard ,, but maybe his btother next weekend but not all in 15 minutes bahh girls i know arnt like that,,
  • moonchild marika 2013/04/13 00:43:42
    moonchild
    +4
    She was raped and no one did anything about it because the perpetrators spread rumors about her. How can rumors that a girl is a slut make the police not treat her fairly? It is totally unjust.
  • HipJipC 2013/04/12 19:39:19
  • Aloria 2013/04/11 17:49:08
    Aloria
    +4
    Society is bedlam spinning out of control,this violent,malevolent behaviour is fostered in the home by parents who care more about themselves than mentoring what should be their first priority,children,we failed this child big time,so damn sad.
  • Masaca 2013/04/10 02:06:24
  • trollatc 2013/04/10 01:27:57
    trollatc
    +6
  • moonchild trollatc 2013/04/10 04:13:28
    moonchild
    +3
    This is actually a different event than Steubenville! It is happening everywhere and it's a damn shame.
  • arnaud moonchild 2013/04/10 06:51:43
    arnaud
    +3
    Hello Moonchild, i quite agree with you, sometimes even innocent persons are caught and have to pay for others and this is rather more than horrible. So i see that someone for instance can be humiliated for having stupid fantasm at her own flat or house, can be burglared afterwards and pay "out of the regular" cost for this. On the other side, you have well organized kids commiting REAL rape and they are free, like a lot of persons therefore also raping toddlers or childs.
  • scblues... trollatc 2013/04/21 19:57:35
    scbluesman13
    Yep, me too.
  • nameless 2013/04/10 00:49:18
    nameless
    +3
    im sorry for her and hope that someone has the cuts to cut-string those boys for payback for the crap they put her through .... they deserve no measure of sympathy and will NOT get any from me ....... people like that deserve painful lives because they chose to make the wrong choices and dont care for how it affects the people around them, and in this case caused the death of a young girl
  • moonchild nameless 2013/04/10 04:18:56
    moonchild
    +3
    How can these teenage men (they aren't boys) think it's ok for them and 3 of their friends to all rape the same girl and then take pictures and call her a slut? Who raises their children to think that is okay? They all need at least 20 years locked up if you ask me.
  • mymoon 2013/04/09 23:03:32
    mymoon
    +5
    I am going to assume for a minute she was called a slut and harassed because there were pictures of her, what I can not understand is why a girl can be so badly harassed but nothing is ever said of the boys.Even if she did willing have sex with four boys arent they just as slutty and nasty? These kinds of stories break my heart.
  • moonchild mymoon 2013/04/10 04:20:00
    moonchild
    +3
    Well, according to the story she was raped. This one actually happened in Canada. Canadian government is just as bad as American in these types of cases!
  • HipJipC mymoon 2013/04/12 19:57:35

2014/10/31 16:28:05