13-Year-Old CEO Invents Cure for Hiccups: What Do You Do To Get Rid of the Hiccups?

There are hundreds of home remedies out there—and you probably already have a favorite. But the next time you get a bad case of the hiccups, you might want to give the Hiccupop a try.

This new cure was invented by 13-year-old Mallory Kievman after she suffered a stubborn bout of the hiccups two years ago. While attempting to ease one of the world’s most annoying maladies, the preteen tried out about one hundred folk remedies. At some point in the process, Kievman realized that she could combine her three favorite cures—sugar, apple cider vinegar, and lollipops—to make an interesting product.

Apparently, that combination of ingredients "triggers a set of nerves in your throat and mouth that are responsible for the hiccup reflex arc . . . It basically over-stimulates those nerves and cancels out the message to hiccup," Kievman explained to the New York Times.

Mallory Kievman may be a minor, but she is already well on her way to turning her innovative idea into a marketable product. She has filed for a patent with the help of intellectual property lawyers. She has the support of Danny Briere, a serial entrepreneur and the founder of Startup Connecticut. And she even has her own team of consultants, a group of graduate business students from the University of Connecticut.

Kievman and her team hope to get Hiccupops onto drugstore shelves this summer. But until then, you’ll just have to stick with your own go-to hiccup cures. So SodaHeads, what do you do to get rid of the hiccups?

Read More: http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/01/a-13-year...

• Pat 2012/05/29 03:18:20
    Other (please leave a comment)
    I just wait for them to go away. Luckily they don't last long.
  • JanHopkins 2012/05/29 02:58:15
    Hold my breath
    JanHopkins
    Works every time.
  • www.sodahead.com/smithy 2012/05/26 18:55:10
    Hold my breath
    www.sodahead.com/smithy
    all i get though is head rush and still hiccups!
  • Ryoka∞Boy 2012/05/23 08:11:06
    Hold my breath
    Ryoka∞Boy
    And count to 10,it seems to be working.
    But i would love to try out her way next time!
  • Steven Carr 2012/05/23 05:44:27
    Hold my breath
    Steven Carr
    sometimes nothing seems to work. I've read that one man hiccuped for years and he tried every "cure" known. to man.
  • being me 2012/05/18 11:01:23
    Drink water
    being me
    She's brilliant. I wish her well;-D
  • La 2012/05/18 07:37:06
    Hold my breath
    La
    :)
  • Razoreye001 2012/05/16 22:33:41
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Razoreye001
    drink ginger ale.
  • jean.smith.5201 2012/05/16 03:24:22
    Other (please leave a comment)
    jean.smith.5201
    Usually if you can make yourself burp, it will stop the hiccups.
  • ajewole naomi 2012/05/15 18:10:16 (edited)
    Drink water
    ajewole naomi
    Hiccups are an involuntarily powerful spasm of the diaphragm, followed by a sudden inspiration with a closure of the glottis. Hiccups that are caused by gastric distention, spicy foods and neural dysfunction can resolve themselves without any treatment. due to a placebo effect, or at the very least didn't work any better than just drinking water normally. In spite of this, many of my friends swear by it, saying it's the only 'cure' that works for them.

That cure came through for musician Mark Golin, who found himself beset with hiccups after a late-night gig in New York City.My mum told me to bend over and drink the water from the opposite side of the glass and It has been working for me since then .
    .......................Ajewole Naomi (caleb university Imota lagos)................
  • ur XLNC-PWCM 2012/05/15 16:11:34
    Take an antacid
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    An antacid works every time.
  • HarleyCharley 2012/05/15 15:03:29
    Other (please leave a comment)
    HarleyCharley
    jack off.....
  • vinone 2012/05/15 12:46:58 (edited)
    Other (please leave a comment)
    vinone
    +1
    I was just talking about this a couple days ago. I haven't had hiccups in about a year, but I was always able to get rid of them in about 10 seconds. I hold my breath, and concentrate on something as hard as I can. If that doesn't work, drink water through a spoon.

I would never pay for anything extra to cure hiccups.
  • Vitalani 2012/05/15 03:11:52
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Vitalani
    I sort of do this spastic *hold my breath then cough suddenly and breathe out through my nose then gulp some water* type deal. Usually works.
  • CuresCancer 2012/05/15 00:47:06
    Hold my breath
    CuresCancer
    Of course holding my breath doesn't work. ;-)

Meanwhile, the FDA with its draconian rules and fervent hatred of natural products won't let a product like this be on the market for long. They will declare that if the product treats a malady, it is therefore a drug. Drugs needs to go through the onerous FDA process which can easily cost $100 million.

The FDA pulls this stunt all the time. They have actually seized the products (sometimes illegally) of companies and never returned them.
  • 001 2012/05/15 00:39:42
    Hold my breath
    001
    +1
    Drink water while holding my breath.
    Drink water
    hold ears and drink water
  • Jan Haskell 2012/05/14 22:24:56
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Jan Haskell
    +1
    Drink from the far side of a glass ... forces you to be almost upside down. Works for me.
  • Devin Pederson 2012/05/14 22:15:25
    Hold my breath
    Devin Pederson
    +1
    Gets rid of hiccups 8 times out of 10, I'd say.
  • peaches 2012/05/14 22:12:43
    Other (please leave a comment)
    peaches
    I have someone ask me these two questions, "What color is a zebra?" and "What's your middle name?" You have to actually think about them and concentrate in order for it to work though. It has only ever not worked twice for me and that was when the hiccups interupted the questions being asked. I don't get it, but it works!
  • sophs 2012/05/14 21:59:41
    Other (please leave a comment)
    sophs
    +3
    Breathe out and out and out and out and out until you don't think there is any air left in you then breathe out more.... until ou automatically breathe in (gasp - has to be automatic, can't be a decision).
    Restarts your diaphram.
  • Bulanova (Team Hargitay) 2012/05/14 21:53:46
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +2
    I take as deep a breath as I can, and hold it while drinking as much water as I can. Works every time.
  • Shanra 2012/05/14 21:52:44
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Shanra
    +1
    I use a mix. Usually I hold my breath, but if that doesn't work...
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/14 21:29:12
    Other (please leave a comment)
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I will just wait for the new Hicupops. sounds like the type of person I like to support.
  • Amanda 2012/05/14 21:20:32
    Hold my breath
    Amanda
    +3
    But I change it up a little, I press on my stomach like I'm giving myself the heimlich maneuver. Works so much better than just plain holding your breath. I think it causes your diaphragm to stop spasming.
  • lorenab. 2012/05/14 21:19:55
    Other (please leave a comment)
    lorenab.
    +1
    if you sit up strait and breathe in and out smoothy and slowely, then it calms down your diaphram and stops the hicups. but i dont have the patients for that so i think of the answer to a really hard question like if you try to think about the cure to hiccups...
  • Jeremy Villa 2012/05/14 21:18:02
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Jeremy Villa
    +2
    I think the media already reported that her cure doesn't work.media cure workmedia cure work
  • BreakingThrough 2012/05/14 21:16:50
    Other (please leave a comment)
    BreakingThrough
    +2
    My grandmother gave me a cure tha has always worked for me. I take a HUGE gulp of soda (doesnt matter what kind) and hold it in my mouth, pushing it into my cheeks. I hold it there until it tickles me mouth so much that my eyes water and I can't take it anymore, then I swallow.
  • sockpuppet 2012/05/14 21:07:10
    Other (please leave a comment)
    sockpuppet
    +1
    Put my chin in a glass half-full of water and form a seal around the mouth of the glass, lean forward and drink a few swallows. The vacuum apparently pulls upward on the diaphragm and calms the spasm.
  • MissNovemberTuesday 2012/05/14 21:06:59
    Other (please leave a comment)
    MissNovemberTuesday
    +1
    If drinking something with sugar in it is not enough to stop them, I was taught a very good method. If you are standing, hold on to something in case you get light headed. First, breathe out. And I mean ALL the way out until you feel there is NO air in your lungs. Then wait just a beat and slowly breathe in as much as you can and wait another beat. Then slowly exhale normally. Continue to breathe slowly and see if they have stopped. This will almost always work on the first try or second @ most. This is a great method, because it doesn't require you to have anything to eat or drink and often times, you are stuck where that is not an option.
  • Wulfdane 2012/05/14 21:03:38 (edited)
    Drink water
    Wulfdane
    +1
    I've tried almost everything. Holding my head up and drinking water is the only thing that remotely works. Even that is 50/50.
  • SimmeringArtist 2012/05/14 21:00:47
    Other (please leave a comment)
    SimmeringArtist
    +2
    Hold my nose and swallow five times
  • Pam 2012/05/14 20:59:07
    Eat a teaspoonful of sugar
    Pam
    +1
    Works every time.
  • abubincrazy 2012/05/14 20:48:27
    Hold my breath
    abubincrazy
    +1
    Old hat, but it usually works.
  • Mbyrd26 2012/05/14 20:42:48
    Hold my breath
    Mbyrd26
    +1
    sometimes i drink water but i usually hold my breath
  • Funky Monk 2012/05/14 20:26:57
    Put my fingers in my ears
    Funky Monk
    +1
    I plug my and ears and nose then drink some water.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/05/14 20:17:32
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Margaret Jacobson
    +1
    hold my breath and count to 10.......sometimes drink water and hold in mouth ciouple of seconds
  • Emelya 2012/05/14 20:11:43
    Hold my breath
    Emelya
    +1
    I hold my breath, but my mom has this elixer tyhat when you drink it, your hiccups go away. So, my mom beat you little girl!!!! YES
  • Uranos7 2012/05/14 20:07:24
    Hold my breath
    Uranos7
    +1
    Hiccups occur because of a malfunction of the CO2 response in the diaiphram. Any of the methods that increase your CO2 should stop the hiccups and sugar causes you body to use more O2 so more CO2 builds up, so does holding your breath or breathing into a bag.

Good for her on creating an easy way to deliver this remedy and the vinegar should increase digestion rate speeding the sugar into the system, so solid science behind it too. Very smart girl!
    Good Luck to her.
  • steph.cox 2012/05/14 19:57:19
    Other (please leave a comment)
    steph.cox
    +1
    just go with it and enjoy them!! they soon give up lol

2014/11/26 10:14:04