12 Year Old Sues Dad for Grounding: Should kids have the right to sue for discipline?

Stella 2008/06/19 21:55:41
Yes: Kids have the right to sue for discipline.
No way: This is crazy! Kids have no right to sue for discipline.
I'm undecided if kids should have the right to sue for discipline.
After finding "inappropriate" pictures of his daughter on the web, a startled father grounded his 12-year-old daughter and refused to allow her to go on a three-day school trip. Her response was to sue him, and she won! The Quebec Superior Court ruled that the father's punishment was too severe. The youngster had by-passed the security settings her father had set to block her computer access, then used one of her friend's computers to access those same sites, and posted pictures of herself that her are being described as "inappropriate for a child her age."

• PLANETEATER 2008/06/20 21:57:39
    PLANETEATER
    +10
    Well it's official.. The inmates are running the Asylum.

• Fred 2009/11/22 03:00:08
    Fred
    What is wrong with a minor using the justice system in the same way that us "responsible" adults do. I agree that what she did was wrong, so is this about pornography, breaking onto her fathers computer or someone under the age of 18 suing another person? just try to think about that.
  • Captain Seriouspants (AKA H... 2009/09/14 22:52:05
    Captain Seriouspants (AKA Halloween Man)
    Of course children should have a right to sue. I just think that at least 75% of the ones who will are too stupid to know what they're talking about. Maybe I just think this because of the terrible example I just saw.

I also don't think that dad was right to have children in the first place, if he's raised his children to be so disobedient.

And of course that really depends on what the pictures were of. If they only showed a little cleavage or had her in a swimsuit at the beach, I don't see it as a huge problem. I think it's more of a problem to see a kid in a swimsuit and think naughty thoughts. It's a shame we live in a world like this, where every little thing that barely resembles sexual is seen as porn.
  • blackcatghost10 2009/09/14 21:40:01
    blackcatghost10
    wow i nevr new that man i wish i new that wen i was living wit my dad he used make me kneel on rice wenevr i didn't get him a beer or mountain dew n he wud always beat my bro up 4 getting bad grades AND he wud ALSO ground us 4 wat our "cousins" did (they r not evn our cousins they were my step moms cousins)
    plus all the money VA made my mom pay my dad 4 child support did't evn dirrectly go 2 us (i mean part of it did pay 4 the food n the house we were in BUT THATS IT!) most of it went 2 my step mom n half sis me n my bro only got sum money 2 go shopping at goodwill 4 bak 2 skool
  • khenthorne76 2009/07/27 14:39:53
    khenthorne76
    +3
    If the daughter wants to be treated like an adult, the father should make her get a job or do lots of chores around the house for punishment. If the daughter has the mind set to get on her dad's computer and post inappropriate pictures then she is old enough to be sent to jail like the kids on tv shows like Maury. This is stupid and selfish on the daughters part. If she keeps posting pictures like that don't come to the public for help when and if something bad happens to her. It happens all the time this day and age.
  • Niwde 2009/05/06 03:49:46
    Niwde
    Its Canada.
  • wings779 2009/04/30 18:00:41
    wings779
    She along with everyone else that is human should have the right to TRY to sue her father. Its the court's decision whether it actually goes through or not.
    Besides, I have feeling the only reason she was able to win was because it's illegal to not go to school.
  • blackca... wings779 2009/09/14 21:43:12
    blackcatghost10
    she was still going 2 skool she just wasn't going on the feild trip i'm sure it was 1 of those fun feild trips like the chorus i got 2 skool evry year goes 2 new york 2 c a play or like last year we went 2 hershey park (it was awesum!)
  • Charlie 2009/04/07 11:20:43
    Charlie
    I use to get the belt when I misbehaved as a child.I can't believe this case.Incredible.
  • Hayley 2009/04/07 03:32:54
    Hayley
    +1
    This is the most ridiulous case of a frivolous law suit I have ever heard of. Unreal. And one day the court will see her suing someone else for using her inappriate picts, saying she did not give permission for their use.
    Totally asinine in my opinion!
  • Nozzghoull 2009/04/05 03:43:33
    Nozzghoull
    The courts, scum bag liberal lawyers, and the government need to but out and let families handle their business how they see fit. If that was my daughter I'd beat her ass and throw the computer out the window, oh wait, nevermind. I already raised them better than that and they would expect to get grounded for being an idiot.
  • hunt16 2009/04/05 03:37:53
    hunt16
    lmao crazy kids sue discipline lmao
  • gina magz 2009/04/04 19:31:19
    gina magz
    +1
    That punk is lucky she didn't get her a*# beat! Sometimes discipline from the old school is required!
  • kayla 2009/01/25 20:39:12
    kayla
    Parents are assholes. I hate them. They should be sued. There punishments are too severe.
  • kayla kayla 2009/01/25 20:42:12
    kayla
    What should I do? My parents are alcoholics and i just found out they do coke. what now? should i report it?
  • bccxcc 2008/10/20 20:25:14
    bccxcc
    +1
    this is BS, that girl is a spoiled little brat and she has no right so sue her father for disciplining her. The girl should just suck it up and get over it, and the ruling should be overturned.
  • Discord 2008/10/18 18:20:06 (edited)
    Discord
    For grounding!? This is ridiculous. The father gets sued and loses because his punishment's too harsh, but if he LETS her post skeevy pictures of herself on the computer, it's negligence.

I have a feeling that girl never got a good spanking in her life. I'm glad I don't live in Canada.
  • Leopluradon [Not-So... 2008/10/18 14:47:35
    Leopluradon         [Not-So-Sweet16♥]
    +1
    If this were my child (depending on the severity of these inappropriate photos), it'd be a helluva lot MORE than losing a 3 day trip... She'd be losing her right to leave the house for a month. CHILDREN! KEEP YER CLOTHES ON! YOU'RE A TRAP FOR PAEDOPHILES!!!
  • claireaz1 2008/10/18 00:42:06
    claireaz1
    If a kid don't get the discipline at home where pray tell are they going to learn right from wrong. The Schools???????????????? I think not
  • imlds 2008/10/17 22:30:02
    imlds
    The government stops us from discipling our children then SUE us when the kids do something really bad. It's a no win situation!
  • Seth (crazy Iowan) *Burgundy* 2008/10/17 19:24:31
    Seth (crazy Iowan) *Burgundy*
    sure, they can sue them, it don't mean that they'll win
  • bccxcc Seth (c... 2008/10/20 20:26:00
    bccxcc
    but she DID win over something that's this trivial
  • Seth (c... bccxcc 2008/10/20 20:39:44
    Seth (crazy Iowan) *Burgundy*
    good point.
  • Gwynodd 2008/08/20 21:32:15
    Gwynodd
    No wonder couples are having less and less children. Look what they have to look forward to when their kids hit their teens.
  • littlebear Gwynodd 2008/09/04 04:36:59
    littlebear
    If the picture is you God bless.I have left working for a school dist. and can tell you that is not the norm but one case could topple the load.So I won't say you are wrong but will hope that you are.
    I like your baby;Peace and well being to you.
  • kara 2008/08/15 17:24:39
    kara
    Lol wow the worlds gone nuts. Im pretty sure that we don;t have all the facts on the case. and it may also be that there was some kind of a loophole in the law. it was a school trip so the child may have argued that the parent denied her hereducational rights and therefore that may be grounds for severe puishment. But I most def agree with all of you who brought up all the arguments regarding what a horrible decision it was on the judge's behalf. And the poor parent! That is going to sting forever. I have ? Do you think if it was you instead of the parent would you love your child the ssame way again?
  • littlebear kara 2008/09/04 04:31:09
    littlebear
    Kara Hi!I am a father of a 26yr.old Daughter and Papa to 7 Grand babies from 13 to 4 yrs. I have no way to on any level think that Judge could venture that can of NO NO finding!!
    I love all of my family but even the youngest would have got a seat warming and then grounding!!! For a Law decider of the public trust to doing as the article implies is reprehensibly.To answer your question YES YES as parents real ones don't just love them when they're good but more when they need it most.If I had to live thought that time with them I know that he or she would need to get along with life and I'd pray that they would start at home to unravel the web that they've coulded.
  • !!spaz<3zarama!! 2008/08/14 21:40:43
    !!spaz<3zarama!!
    we kids have the right to fight for fairness even if it IS over something as simple as grounding.
  • imlds !!spaz<... 2008/10/17 22:33:26
    imlds
    Yea and then when you kids do something really bad we parents are the ones who get sued!!!!! This is not about fairness. You do something wrong, we are going to ground you. What would have had this father do? Obviously he can't beat her (and we would not want him to), he can't lock her in the basement (nor would we want him to) so what should he do? He grounds her. That is fair! We are trying to teach our children to be good, responsible adults and that includes discipling them when they do something wrong!
  • angel face !!spaz<... 2009/04/04 15:37:43
    angel face
    i dont think that we should sue over something so stupid. this is a fucked up situation. whoever was the judge should be punished for letting her win. she needs a more severe punishment. like a spankin. she needs something. we kids need to stand up for what's right. not stupid
  • PolyTicks 2008/08/11 22:49:04
    PolyTicks
    How retarded is this judge? Grounding a child from a school trip is "too severe?" If it were my daughter, depending upon the nature of the photos, I may have done a lot worse! This court has no idea what "severe" punishment is, and the judge should be disbarred.
  • LJ 2008/08/09 13:34:57
    LJ
    +3
    WTF? It's a parents RESPONSIBILITY to discipline (and praise) to teach the difference between right and wrong. Grounding is a far cry from abuse. This lawsuit is like the cart pulling the horse. Who's the adult here?
  • Hobbit 2008/08/09 01:36:48
    Hobbit
    +3
    Thanks to the DCFS and dumb shit lawyers, parents have no rights to their children. Parents have the right to smack their kids, (as long as it is one hit on the butt, just to make clear) and ground them too. If a child is posting way inapropriate pictures of themselves on the internet, they are asking for: #1: a predator to stalk them, #2: the chance of the whole school to see those and she gets expelled, #3: arrested for indecent lewdness of a minor, which serves jail time. Whoever talked her into suing, and then allowing her to win should be sued too for ruining the rights of parents.
  • littlebear Hobbit 2008/09/04 04:13:16
    littlebear
    First that's gutty to use that name,I agree with your thoughts and I 'm afraid more then what you wrote.I think that that person(Daughter)needed more then a grounding and I would need to get help for her and alot more for me \If my Daughter would have ever done something like that I would whole heartedly believe that I as a person had failed to set any moral limits of behavior and have no right to call myself a man as girls find their behavior by modeling it in front of father to see if it fly's I feel a great sadness for that family and hope that they will seek some help some where.
  • CitizenErased 2008/08/08 21:47:05
    CitizenErased
    This incident is clearly ridiculous...being grounded for three days is not the same as being beaten and locked in a cupboard. Being grounded is not (I don't think) an unfair punishment.
    Whether or not the child is entitled to sure totally depends on what the discipline entails...some people see discipline as extreme violence which is clearly not acceptable (in my opinion).
  • Diane 2008/08/07 19:02:08
    Diane
    +3
    My son tried to hold me hostage by insisting I allow him a certain privilege or he would go to his father and lie about how I spent the child support. The following day I sent him to live with his father. He learned a lesson about criminal intent and today he has his PhD from Princeton. Maybe more parents should put aside their fear of the law and set boundaries,,,,or put the little bastards out! Trust me, they soon learn where their bread is buttered. We need to get liberalism out of our schools, courts and neighborhoods.
  • littlebear 2008/08/06 17:16:34
    littlebear
    +1
    I think as a family or as a country we are the leaders of tomorrows leaders as such the need to impress upon them in early life is the most important thing we do is respect our elders as they are have lived and gained much wisdom.I taught my daughter (and you know how girls are Daddy little princess's ) that you give respect to all until they prove themselves not worth any. You do not dis-respect you only turn your eyes and ears away from them and quietly walk away or if not space to walk stand and let them have their say and then walk away!!
    So I think before your little one would think of and outside of home thinking.You have already set the grounds for how we deal with one another. SO this question would never enter you little ones head!
  • TJR 2008/08/06 02:35:31
    TJR
    Only sue for being molested, ect.
  • AnnBan 2008/08/03 01:23:05
    AnnBan
    +1
    no. way. that is some brat.
  • wiszard 2008/07/17 12:39:19
    wiszard
    +1
    That would happen just once with me. Then I would show her what a REAL grounding is like.
  • Amber V. (Bunny's *Kitten*) 2008/07/14 08:51:48
    Amber V. (Bunny's *Kitten*)
    +2
    I'm a kid and even I think this is crazy. She got grounded from 3 day trip how is this taking it way to far. The father did the best thing and grounded her for those pictures of her. This shows how stupid we are getting.

2014/09/17 07:42:15