12 Year Old Oklahoma Girl Shoots Home Intruder. Is a gun the best defense against crime?

CAPISCE 2013/01/20 00:55:49
no
A 12-year-old Oklahoma girl took extreme measures to protect herself when an unfamiliar man broke into her home last Wednesday. The girl, who was home alone during a day off from school, shot and wounded the home intruder, local NBC affiliate KTEN News reports. Kendra St. Clair, was home by herself when a man rang the doorbell to her Bryan County, Okla., home. She didn’t answer, so the trespasser walked to the back of the house and kicked open a door. St. Clair called her mother, who advised her to grab the family’s gun and hide, according to an interview she gave to local broadcaster KFOR-TV. Authorities said that the girl found the gun and took shelter in a bathroom closet.
“I was sitting there in the closet, really scared, holding the gun, not knowing what was going to happen,” St. Clair told KFOR-TV.

Bryan County Under Sheriff Ken Golden told KTEN that the intruder worked his way through the house and to the bathroom, and he was turning the doorknob to St. Clair’s closet when she fired through the door. “She was very brave, she stayed on the phone with the dispatcher the whole time—talked all the way through it and was still on the phone with dispatch when we got into the house,” Golden said to KTEN.

The intruder, who KTEN says has been identified as 32-year-old Stacy Jones of Texarkana, was flown to a hospital in Plano, Texas. Jones survived the shot to his shoulder, and he has been charged with first-degree burglary, according to KOCO TV.

• ptroyan 2014/02/25 00:03:35
    ptroyan
    I am in love!!!
    Great shooting, Sweetie.
  • kika2008 2013/02/21 16:06:46
    kika2008
    BRAVE GIRL!!! and this is why we need keep our 2nd amendment rights we have the right to defend our home, our kids and our selves :) Kuddos to the parents to teaching this child how to handle a weapon properly... i would have taught my child the same thing in the end it's your life or theirs...
  • kiote1963 2013/02/04 08:03:22
    kiote1963
    Good for her :)
  • new mexico PWCM~JLA 2013/01/25 22:37:13
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Glad she is fine, brave young girl. Why is this not talked about on national news? Hope this idiot serves max time!
  • Pyro-82 2013/01/23 01:28:43
    Pyro-82
    +2
    And thats what happens when you teach kids gun saftey, the right person gets shot.
  • WinterHawk 2013/01/22 17:37:58
    WinterHawk
    +2
    Bein raised right, eh?
  • venus 2013/01/22 17:33:15
    venus
    +2
    Good for her! What a brave little girl , and yeah i think that guns can protect people against home intruders and especially for kids .
  • ZB 2013/01/22 02:32:42
    ZB
    +4
    Way to go Girl. Another reason to leave gun laws alone.
  • me 2013/01/22 02:19:08
    me
    +3
    Good for her AND good for her parents who obviously taught her how to use it!
  • skowcog 2013/01/22 01:02:13
    skowcog
    +4
    Especially for that young girl.
  • Vegas Dude 2013/01/21 17:41:27
    Vegas Dude
    +3
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! This is part one in my mantra in which I live my life and have trained my wife to observe! It is the only thing I have ever demanded of her.

The simple answer though is a resounding, YES!!! A handgun is exactly what was needed.

What you're really asking is if gun control would have been a good thing here. No! I don't believe in any form of gun control. An armed society is a polite society! Part two of my mantra. There is no justice, or common sense in gun control. There never can be. I could go on, and on till I wrote an entire encyclopedia sized volume on why gun control is wrong for any society. But that is for another time and another place, not here, and not just to reply to this one question.

I don't know how many times I've listened to 911 calls where either an armed or unarmed intruder is trying to gain entry into a home. While the caller is on the phone with 911 for over five minutes or longer, the intruder enters and then the screaming begins. Most of the time, the victim is raped, beaten and or robbed. If the woman had owned a gun, and been trained to use it properly, we would hear of a lot fewer of these crimes.

Why is it that when Texas first changed their laws to go from a can issue s...

Why is it that when Texas first changed their laws to go from a can issue state, to a shall issue state, gun sales rose, and crime rates fell? Everyone in the White-House was up in arms screaming that there would be killing in the streets and the entire state would be thrown into a state of panic, reliving the days of the wild, wild west! When that didn't happen and crime rates fell, other states adopted the same stance on firearms. In all cases, serious crimes fell.

What does that say about gun control? Seriously, it tells me, by way of common sense, that gun control does not work.
  • CAPISCE Vegas Dude 2013/01/21 23:14:35
    CAPISCE
    +1
    We agree
  • Urchyn 2013/01/21 15:29:05
    Urchyn
    +4
    Good for her, too bad she didn't shoot him any worse than she did, he deserved it!
  • tblackb 2013/01/21 14:29:02
    no
    tblackb
    absolutely not
  • drdos1943 tblackb 2013/01/21 15:24:48
    drdos1943
    +2
    Then what is the best defense against a home invasion?
  • tblackb drdos1943 2013/01/21 15:58:05 (edited)
    tblackb
    equality...give the people a job making a decent salary & good benefits, stop trying to take advantage of them at every turn and they will not need to invade anyone's home just like you & I....if we as a county can spend 700 billion annually on defense, we can find a way to help our fellow americans!
  • CAPISCE tblackb 2013/01/21 23:15:18
    CAPISCE
    +3
    lmao, what a bunch of garbage
  • tblackb CAPISCE 2013/01/21 23:28:42
    tblackb
    maybe to a moron such as yourself but what keeps you from stealing from someone else, probably because you have your basic needs met. well, in case you have been living in a cave all your life not everyone does. we are animals. thus, we will survive by any means necessary.
  • CAPISCE tblackb 2013/01/22 04:14:27
    CAPISCE
    +2
    You avoided the question to give a speech about society. Just answer the question.
    Many Drug addicts break into homes, should we buy them drugs to meet there needs?
  • tblackb CAPISCE 2013/01/22 04:28:19
    tblackb
    come out of the fog...there are just "affluent" people in this country strung on drugs in this country as any other social group. there are "middle class" people strung out on drugs. these people usually have the money to support their habit while the poor have to do whatever is necessary. it still goes back to equality.
  • KimKacer tblackb 2013/03/06 01:40:21
    KimKacer
    +3
    And do we provide all the deviants with underage girls so whatever sick needs THEY have may be met???? I agree with you to a REASONABLE point, but you are delusional, dude.
  • Zippcodey tblackb 2013/01/22 04:33:23
    Zippcodey
    +3
    Get a job or two or three, that way they won't have time to even think about it.
  • tblackb Zippcodey 2013/01/22 04:35:42
    tblackb
    many can't because once you make a mistake in this country there is no forgiveness. you get a criminal record that follows you for life and who will hire you then...
  • Zippcodey tblackb 2013/01/22 04:40:20
    Zippcodey
    +4
    They need to be shot dead not leaving them alive, that is the biggest deterant.
  • new mex... Zippcodey 2013/01/25 22:45:22
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Agreed 100%. These idiots aren't "given" a criminal record they earn it. Exterminate the problem, and if "we are animals. thus, we will survive by any means necessary" as tblackb states, wonder if he has ever seen what happens when a griz sees a threat to her young? Play with fire............
  • Zippcodey new mex... 2013/01/26 00:18:12
    Zippcodey
    +1
    and you get burned. lol

They are afraid of getting caught, not thinking about getting shot and killed. That's why they go in homes they THINK are empty.
  • ☆ Queen... tblackb 2013/01/22 13:46:13
    ☆ QueenAline
    +1
    speak for yourself
  • ☆ Queen... CAPISCE 2013/01/22 13:45:42
  • Zippcodey tblackb 2013/01/22 04:32:11
    Zippcodey
    +5
    You have all kinds of nuts out there. Druggies and lowlife that don't want to work and make money the easy way. So if a few of them get shot more often, they will think twice before invading someones home.
  • tblackb Zippcodey 2013/01/22 04:34:11
    tblackb
    or they will just start bringing guns to the robberies
  • Zippcodey tblackb 2013/01/22 04:41:31
    Zippcodey
    +4
    Great, then hide and snipe as soon as they are seen. Just make sure they are in the house. Deadly force met with deadly force, no more robber to do it again.
  • ☆ Queen... tblackb 2013/01/22 13:47:40
    ☆ QueenAline
    +1
    they already do....but more victims protecting themselves now, and you will hear about a lot more perps being killed....rightfully
  • new mex... tblackb 2013/01/25 22:48:03
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Which brings to mind a new law which should be put into effect. Any crime which is commited with a gun gets an automatic death penalty.
  • Vegas Dude tblackb 2013/01/22 14:03:57
    Vegas Dude
    What planet are you from?
  • drdos1943 tblackb 2013/01/23 14:25:21 (edited)
    drdos1943
    Your argument is theoretical and even when plenty of opportunity was available for everyone in this country in the past, the crime statistics were much higher than they are now. Our crime rate, in the U.S. (times as bad as they are now) have declined. Your emotional argument does not match the statistics. Look it up.
  • authorgirl tblackb 2013/01/23 23:48:18
    authorgirl
    Your little theory works in a perfect world, but this isn't a perfect world. It's not gonna happen. Is love for it be that easy too. But its not.
  • KimKacer tblackb 2013/03/06 01:29:29
    KimKacer
    +1
    That will help, but I do not think it will in THIS case... they are CHARGING burglary, but he was LOOKING for the GIRL.... (history of abducting girls). But since she SHOT him, they cannot prove that beyond a reasonable doubt, but they CAN prove burgulary, especially if he pocketed anything or gathered anything before looking in ernest for HER.
  • bato KimKacer 2013/04/23 21:31:41
    bato
    +3
    yes and there it is someone finally said it. if he was there to just rob the place why did he go to the closet of a 12 year old girl instead of mommy;s jewelry
  • ☆ QueenAline 2013/01/21 14:00:58
    ☆ QueenAline
    +2
    and he has been charged with first-degree burglary..she should have blown him away..
  • Zippcodey ☆ Queen... 2013/01/22 04:34:21
    Zippcodey
    +1
    She did pretty good for not being able to see through a door. lol

2014/08/28 05:23:52