$1 Billion FBI Facial Recognition Project to Track Everyone: Do You Support Law Enforcement Stimulus Program?

Fef 2012/09/10 19:00:00
Government promised us jobs by using taxpayer funds to spend on projects -- the administration called it "Stimulus Spending." The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) spent some of its money on "Next Generation Identification Program" developed by Lockheed Martin Transportation and Security Solutions and IBM.

NGI will connect with tens of thousands of closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras to apply facial recognition to the American public. NGI has the ambitious goal "to reduce terrorist and criminal activities by improving and expanding biometric identification and criminal history information services through research, evaluation, and implementation of advanced technology."

GIZMODO.COM reports:
How would you feel if the government could easily track your movements by automatically identifying your face on images captured by the ever-growing network of CCTV of cameras in America? The FBI will be able to do just that soon, with its one-billion-dollar Next Generation Identification program.

ever-growing network cctv cameras america fbi one-billion-dollar generation identification program

Read More: http://gizmodo.com/5941926/fbis-sinister-new-1-bil...

• Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/09/10 19:56:00
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +22
    While the government spends billions on cameras, and face recognition technology directed at us to spy on us all, people are being arrested for pointing cameras at police.

I hope I'm not the only one that sees the problem here. Its all about using our money and resources to keep us in line when its the government that stages criminal activities like fast and furious that needs the cameras pointed at them.

• BoredCo... Grammar... 2012/09/13 21:56:36 (edited)
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    Yes, there are still some groups out there that continue to do destructive things and they should be dealt with accordingly. Unfortunately they will always be around to some extent. The US generally acknowledges it's mistakes, learns from it's past and moves on. Although not entirely, we do more good than harm in the world. If you want to blame white American guys for everything, that's your choice but know that fear can be a very good thing. It is often intangible and instinctual and protects us from harm. It can also be irrational and ugly, but that is part of our humanity. I know I am no exception and by reading your post, I suspect you are not either.
  • Grammar... BoredCo... 2012/09/13 22:14:55
    Grammar Freak
    Sure! Fear has excellent natural purposes.
    But when it's used to manipulate, it's a hell of a tool.

...& the idea that the US acknowledges or learns from its mistakes is laughable. Obama was ridiculed & demeaned for "apologizing" for America's mistakes & our nation continually does the same thing(s) over & over & over & over & over... never actually learning or changing much... unless it's to get worse/dig the hole deeper. Ask Ron Paul about that. He's talked about it over & over, how our government keeps repeating the same stuff. He's right.
  • BoredCo... Grammar... 2012/09/13 22:24:15
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    That's why I used the words 'generally' and 'not entirely'.
    As far as Obama is concerned, he hates America and should be deported, post haste.
  • Grammar... BoredCo... 2012/09/14 00:32:18 (edited)
    Grammar Freak
    That's crap.
    He just thinks that the way to make things better is different from the way The Constitution says things should work. How is he any different than any member of Congress who's voted for his policies? How is he worse? He can't do much without Congressional approval. Don't give him so much power.... oops. That's right. Bush gave him expanded Presidential Powers.
    You see? That's why we have to be so incredibly careful. We don't know who the next President is going to be or in twenty years. We have no way of knowing how they will use their powers.

Our nation needs to get back to our constitution post haste. We need someone who understands how government works & how it should work. We need someone who has been faithful to his oath since he first took it... every oath he's ever taken. Gee. I wonder who that might be?

Romney will ruin our nation as fast as Obama... by doing pretty much the same things. He is as much of a puppet as Bush & Obama have been. We're doomed if we continue to listen to the two "parties" who are trying to divide & weaken The People in order to increase their power. The Plutocrats have taken over, my Dear, & we have to get them out. That isn't going to happen with puppets in office.

Paul/Johnson
  • Grammar... Joey 2012/09/11 13:15:23
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Not to mention Oklahoma City.
  • Carlo Joey 2012/09/13 04:01:20 (edited)
    Carlo
    And it was white guys who took down our building in NY persecuted an entire group of people and it all starts with the white President of our USA.
    George W. Bush.
  • Grammar... BoredCo... 2012/09/11 13:14:40
    Grammar Freak
    Interesting.
    Drug cartels started using older, white women who look like random tourists as mules to transport large amounts of narcotics into the States. So, now, if you travel to a Central or South American nation, you will witness the profiling of older, white women. They are far more thoroughly searched. They get incredibly flustered, frightened & angry. But they are more scrutinized for good reason... it's people who look like them who are predominantly today's mules.
    They certainly don't appreciate it when the tables are turned on them & they & their families yell & holler about it.
  • BoredCo... Grammar... 2012/09/11 13:41:17
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    Yes, just as some OTM's arrive at our borders because they learn the language and can often be mistaken for Mexicans. It happens. It is not a perfect world.
  • Kigan 2012/09/10 23:46:38
    Kigan
    +4
    Sounds like misused funds on programs that will focus more on the innocent than the criminals.

Things like this...sounds like it will become normal to wear a disguise in public to protect yourself.
  • Grammar... Kigan 2012/09/11 13:39:51
    Grammar Freak
    With biometrics, a disguise will be nearly useless.
  • Kigan Grammar... 2012/09/11 14:25:07
    Kigan
    Until new ones are developed.
    +4
    Great way to word this questions..... because I see people here who I know are Romney Supporters.....who think that Romney will take care of this....WRONG...haha.....Ask about the Patriot act.....you'll see what I mean..!
  • Grammar... Mike 2012/09/11 13:41:24
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    ...& expansion of Presidential Powers (unauthorized surveillance).
    Bingo. You hit the nail directly in the center of the head. It isn't one "party" or the other. It's both of them working together to remove our constitutional protections.
  • Crime Time 2012/09/10 22:35:36
  • Red Branch 2012/09/10 22:09:52
    Red Branch
    +3
    When law enforcement focuses on the 95% of the honest & decent citizens, the 5% criminal population will be running wild and crime will sore.

The percentages came off the top of my head. I don't know the breakdown so this is for the purpose of an example.
  • Grammar... Red Branch 2012/09/11 13:43:22
    Grammar Freak
    They ARE running the world & crime is soaring. Don't think of "criminals" as being guys in ski-masks. The real criminals are in DC (& whomever is pulling their puppet strings). They're already in charge & breaking every law that will increase their power over us.
  • Red Branch Grammar... 2012/09/11 13:44:28
    Red Branch
    Deport the illegals, then we can clean house.
  • Grammar... Red Branch 2012/09/11 14:17:22
    Grammar Freak
    Gotta clean House (& Senate) first.
    Priorities.
    We can't fight when we haven't got our weapons. Those criminals in Congress have removed our weapons. Without them we are basically helpless.

I'm so much less afraid of an illegal immigrant than I am of a DC politician, I can't tell you. The politicians are the ones allowing the immigrants in as well as doing all of the other damage to our nation. The immigrant is just in the US to make his/her life better. You want to fix the immigration problem (or any other problem), you've got to fix the larger, more terrifying, more destructive problem on Capitol Hill... every one of those bought-&-paid-for criminals removing our constitutional protections.
  • Red Branch Grammar... 2012/09/11 14:23:02
    Red Branch
    You have spent too much time listening to the politicians that you claim you wish to remove.
    They want a better life if it comes in the form of a govt check, but they are not assimilating. If you were from the US, I would say that they will have torched your house before the politicians can legislate you out of your house.
  • Grammar... Red Branch 2012/09/11 14:38:11
    Grammar Freak
    Uhhhh... I lived in a highly Hispanic populated area less than 2 hours from the border. I know legal immigrants & illegal immigrants. I know business owners who hire immigrant workers... both legal & illegal. It isn't a matter of listening to the politicians as a sheeple... it's a matter of listening to the politicians with a critical/scrutinizing ear & basing one's opinion on the accuracy of their rhetoric. Even the worst of the worst speak/use the truth sometimes.

Where were your forefathers from? Are you of Native American descent?

I am an American citizen living in a foreign nation. Are you not aware that there are a whole hell of a lot of Americans living around the world? We vote. We pay attention. We speak out.
    ...& right now, we're scared as hell because we can see the storm from outside. It's a hell of a lot more clear a view than from within.
  • Red Branch Grammar... 2012/09/11 14:47:27
    Red Branch
    I was just checking, there are way too many foreigners that will use the collective 'we' when speaking of things in the US. I am aware that many Americans work overseas.

It is a lot safer to see the storm from the outside than the inside which is where the battle will be fought. I know who caused the problem and I know we will need to be alive to bring about any changes in our politicians.
  • Grammar... Red Branch 2012/09/11 14:58:48
    Grammar Freak
    The People have to unite.
    The "parties" encourage us to hate each other in order to further divide us & weaken us. Then they vote bipartisan to remove our constitutional protections.

Priorities... gotta get our power back. Gotta get rid of the criminals in DC in order to do that.
    Now that we've allowed them to take our tools away, my question is "How the hell do we do it without our tools?"
  • Red Branch Grammar... 2012/09/11 15:28:42
    Red Branch
    What tools do you lack?

What we need to do is get back to being Americans first. We need to get back to this is a great country and will only become greater. Then we can fight about how to make that path.

Right now too many people wish to see the demise of the US and I am only referring to our citizens whether in office or not.
  • Grammar... Red Branch 2012/09/11 19:34:21
    Grammar Freak
    We lack our constitutionally protected liberties:
    right to privacy
    protection against illegal search & seizure
    right to due process

Our leaders took an oath to uphold & defend our constitution, which is our protection of "God given" liberties. Just about all of them have broken their oath & should be not only fired, but tried for dereliction of duty & crimes against America, incarcerated & stripped of their benefits.

Until our quiver is full, as far as I'm concerned, everything else is secondary. What is America without our constitution? The fact that we have no due process anymore makes us a dictatorship... literally. Who is the dictator? Well, W said running the nation would be easier as long as he was the dictator. But it isn't/wasn't him. It isn't Obama either. I believe it's someone above them, pulling the puppet strings, as evidenced by both administrations & both "parties" working toward the same goal... a Plutocratic state.
  • Zepland 2012/09/10 21:39:03
    Zepland
    +2
    It's not that I mind the face recognition technology, in fact, I see many good uses for it. It's the hidden issues tacked onto this project that concern me. I am not willing to sacrifice any of my rights as a citizen. What do the citizens of the UK think of it?
  • Grammar... Zepland 2012/09/11 13:45:22
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Funny. London has more cameras than anywhere on Earth, yet the police can't seem to catch & punish criminals worth a damned. They can see them on their monitors, watch them commit the crime, even often identify them. But their record of stopping crime is unbelievably bad. Cameras don't stop crime. They seem to just be around for the amusement of those watching the monitors.
  • Carlo Grammar... 2012/09/12 12:17:38
    Carlo
    You couldn't be more wrong about that. Oh sure they do have the most camera's, but we have a much greater violent crime rate than they do. Actually they have become quite efficient with them. The problem is that I expect to see it in europe, but to have the United States of America land of the free and home of the brave becoming a police state is scary.
  • Grammar... Carlo 2012/09/12 12:43:41
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    I don't know how many Brits you know, but in my experience, they're some of the most violent people I've ever known. Did you know that they have their own verb for breaking a glass then cutting someone? It's called "glassing" someone & it's been such a burden on their health care system that the government commissioned a non-breakable pint glass to be used in all pubs & clubs.
    Go to London. Find out for yourself... not just London, but all over England.
  • Carlo Grammar... 2012/09/15 19:54:25
    Carlo
    Okay I give you that, but like I said I expect it over there and the police have made good use of all the surveillance
  • TasselLady 2012/09/10 21:38:40
    TasselLady
    +4
    Especially if it means loss of privacy.
  • Boris D. 2012/09/10 21:37:07
  • Grammar... Boris D. 2012/09/11 13:47:52
  • CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle 2012/09/10 21:35:58
    CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle
    If you're not doing anything wrong, whats the problem?
  • freedomsox CHUCK -... 2012/09/10 22:27:01
    freedomsox
    +2
    I say we make the punishment for every crime death.
    If you're not doing anything wrong, what's the problem?
  • WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB 2012/09/10 21:28:55 (edited)
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +7
    All you so called "Americans" are willing to trade your children's freedom for a little "security"... well, here ya go.

Enjoy.
  • mwf122090 2012/09/10 21:28:14
    mwf122090
    +5
    Ever see the movie Minority Report....?
    +5
    Big brother is coming. Time for a disguise when we're in public from now on.
  • Comment... none 2012/09/11 07:18:54
    Commenting_one
    +1
    It just seems like such a big waste, when money could be better spent on something else.
  • Grammar... none 2012/09/11 13:49:50
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Biometrics eliminates the benefit(s) of a disguise.
    There is no hiding from Big Brother... & he's been around a while, thanks to the expansion of Presidential Powers & the Patriot Act under Bush's administration. Thank your Congressmen/women for voting bipartisan to remove your constitutionally protected liberties.
  • Catita 2012/09/10 21:25:35
    Catita
    +2
    big bro is getting ready for 2013? I just wonder......scary though... hope only hope that that guy is not re-elected........sometimes I think that everybody who doesn't need to know knows lots about everybody.....for example, SodaHead, has our e-mail,, IP address location, name, and people who spills their guts on the Internet are more susceptible to get in trouble because they are more easily to be found, google is the same thing, any of this sites can turn info about their members,Facebook is alarmingly scary, millions have an acct. if that happened pretty soon we will see the results of these criminal activities perpetrated by our own gov. SCARY..........fast and furious will be a mere image of what kind off crap will see? heard? read? maybe?

2014/10/21 21:54:31