You're at a party and realize that you're the only one of your race present. Do you feel comfortable and do you think others are aware that you're the only one of your race present?

SuperUltraMegaMan 2012/12/15 13:05:57
Related Topics: Party, Race

• LittleLogCabin 2012/12/15 16:23:41
    Not uncomfortable but some are aware that I'm the only one of my race present
    LittleLogCabin
    +3
    Ive dated out side of my race before and have been the only white at parties and family gatherings.They all noticed and some even jokingly teased me about it.I felt very comfortable because they made me feel that way.

• jeffery.coker.5 2012/12/16 05:58:55
    jeffery.coker.5
    +1
    I have experienced this many times living in Asia and the Middle East. In Asia, I usually go out of my way to be the only white in a social setting. I learn lots from locals and like to immerse myself in the experience.
  • paul 2012/12/15 21:44:33
    Not uncomfortable and nobody is aware (or cares) that I'm the only one of my ...
    paul
  • Aloria 2012/12/15 18:35:39
    Aloria
    I've not been in that situation,but theres still time. I prided myself on getting along with most folks despite race,age,religion but current events are causing me to rethink that strategy,its out of my control.
  • Jezzi 2012/12/15 17:42:12
    Uncomfortable but nobody is aware (or cares) that I'm the only one of my race...
    Jezzi
    ...Yeah
    had a good time
  • Chris 2012/12/15 17:13:15
  • SuperUl... Chris 2012/12/16 14:51:34
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    Well, as I have said on another such response, I should have used the term "phenotype" or "ethnic group". However, I know y'all know exactly what I meant. Yes, there is one "human race" but the inference here in this context is "phenotype" or "ethnic group".
  • Chris SuperUl... 2012/12/16 15:45:40
  • JohnT 2012/12/15 16:43:00
    JohnT
    +1
    That doesn't bother me, I actually had that happen years ago and had a great time.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/12/15 16:33:46
  • LittleLogCabin 2012/12/15 16:23:41
    LittleLogCabin
    +3
  • Metaldane 2012/12/15 16:06:24
    Metaldane
    I hang out in a lot in areas where I'm a minority (racially speaking) but I've never cared about skin color and don't treat them differently so they don't treat me differently. Whats funny is now my friends say I'm an honorary black person and part Mexican cuz I fit in so well and I'm actually Danish so I'm whaite as can be lol
  • rand 2012/12/15 15:42:55
    rand
    +1
    I've been in this circumstance and this defines well what occurred.
  • Garciataria 2012/12/15 15:18:15
    Garciataria
    +2
    As the only Asian at a party full of White people one time, I wasn't made fun of. However, I can't say they were careful not to make any jokes...
  • SuperUl... Garciat... 2012/12/15 15:28:35
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    Sometimes self-deprecating humor can be funny and sometimes if people are really comfortable around you and you are comfortable around them they feel like it's ok to tell jokes ... I don't mind redneck jokes. I'm not a redneck and I know it's not about me. I don't think I've ever heard a "white joke" such as "how many white boys does it take ..." but I HAVE heard a lot of redneck jokes and blonde jokes from people of different races. It doesn't bother me in the least because it doesn't apply to me. I've only heard Asian jokes from an Asian though: Margaret Cho does it all the time. Oh, and Tommy Chong did it too. Jewish comedians make fun of themselves all the time but I think nobody really likes hearing it from someone else so I guess it IS inappropriate.
  • Sister ... Garciat... 2012/12/15 17:15:11
    sad
  • sarah 2012/12/15 15:11:48 (edited)
    sarah
    +2
    I"m sure people are aware unless they are blind but I don't feel uncomfortable, last summer I visited my niece in Jonesboro Ga. we went to a Walmart and my nephew in law, the husband of my niece who is black said have you noticed you are the only white person here? It wasn't until after he said this that I did realize I was the only white person there. Not that it mattered.
  • L1 2012/12/15 15:09:12
    Uncomfortable and feel that some ARE aware that I'm the only one of my race p...
    L1
    It still happens, and race preferential treatment and discrimination exists...
  • Rave 2012/12/15 14:55:15
    Rave
    +1
    Well since I'm white but was born in Japan and lived most my life in China, I got pretty used to being noticed for it. In China there are many foreigners there these days and in big cities no one cares what race you are, but when I moved there in the 90s and was only a kid, they really weren't used to seeing blonde white girls around. Basically I was told everywhere I went to take extra caution because back then there was a belief (Which was quite true) that any white person living in China was very wealthy and that I was a huge target for kidnapping. Even in my neighborhood the guards wouldn't let me wonder very far from my home telling me that it wasn't safe for me, later that changed though.

I also got used to older Chinese women grabbing my hair and trying to get bits of blonde hair because there was also a myth that blonde hair brings you good luck (Weird right?).

But it's never bothered me, as I got older I got along with everyone just the same and people in China stopped seeing foreigners as something special and I was treated pretty much the same as everyone else.

Funny thing is that when I moved to Europe, I wasn't used to seeing so many white people around, it almost felt uncomfortable for a bit to realize that I was in the majority suddenly.
  • sazz 2012/12/15 14:54:31
    sazz
    +1
    and they keep said sorry to me cuz they didnt speak Thai or English but i told em go on .. i just enjoy food there lol
  • Grabitz 2012/12/15 14:34:01
    Grabitz
    +1
    Doesn't bother me at all . I do get stares sometimes but I get more stares when I'm in an all white crowed for some reason .
  • Sonny 2012/12/15 14:29:45 (edited)
    Sonny
    I hate it especially when people stare at me for long hours, It's almost like I could read their thoughts and able to tell if they don't like me or think I don't belong there. If I don't see anyone of any other race present.. even a puerto- Rican or something then I'm long gone. Am I suppose to be some kind of alien because I'm the only one there that's different?. I can't take the stares

alien
  • 666_Maggots~I'm a female! 2012/12/15 14:22:29
    I have never and will never be at a party in which I am the only one of my ra...
    666_Maggots~I'm a female!
    +1
    Why would I be the only human, though?
  • SuperUl... 666_Mag... 2012/12/15 14:34:12
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    +1
    Awesome! I guess I should have said "Phenotype" or maybe "Ethnic group". :)
  • Richard M. Nixon 2012/12/15 14:19:12
    Richard M. Nixon
    +1
    The only human?

human
  • Meryl 2012/12/15 14:03:08 (edited)
    Meryl
    +1
    I had a grand ole time at several parties where clearly I was the only white person and yes, I did get a few stares, but, geez louise, they know how to party on down. We danced and sang for hours and into the wee hours of the morning. Experiences, I cherish and smile every time I think of it. Dancing with black folks
  • Spy Master 2012/12/15 13:59:14
    Spy Master
    +2
    why should I be uncomfortable?
    we had band members of other races;
    we had a black keyboardist and a black bass player; and we played old rock and roll and country music..we stayed booked until we called it quits...it was quite a trip
  • Rob Clary 2012/12/15 13:49:41
    Rob Clary
    +1
    We've never had any issues, but I can tell folks notice.
    I asked my business partner about it, and he said that when black folks see a white guy paling around with a negro, they just assume both are cops...lol
  • sockpuppet 2012/12/15 13:41:31
    sockpuppet
    +1
    "Conspicuous" more than uncomfortable, but I'm used to that because of my size. I'd have more in common with a room full of middle-aged black people than a bunch of 20 year-old whites with cellphones.
  • SuperUl... sockpuppet 2012/12/15 13:50:06
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    +1
    I feel uncomfortable in a room full of twenty-something white folks too. Especially the bluetooth headset having, dockers and polo wearing types. Oh, and lets not forget the rednecks. I feel like I'll be judged for my relationship choices. It's really uncomfortable when they just assume that because we're all white that we all feel the same way.
  • sockpuppet SuperUl... 2012/12/15 14:43:13
    sockpuppet
    +1
    I know just what you mean! I thiink the most irritating differences in humans are age-related, and rednecks have simply never grown up beyond playground name-calling and judgmental nonsense.
  • Fallout 2012/12/15 13:17:12 (edited)
    Fallout
    +3
    I think almost everyone there that saw me knew I was a different race.
    When you're the only white guy it's hard to hide. I love humans and different
    cultures. Everyone there treated me like a fellow human.

I've had that experience many times in my life and it has always been great.
  • SuperUl... Fallout 2012/12/15 13:29:41
    SuperUltraMegaMan
    +1
    I wanted to add a third part "and do you think they'll treat you any differently" but that could have led to "and if they do treat you differently do you think it will be good or bad" but that is a LOT of permutations for one question. I am in an interracial relationship and my previous relationship was interracial also. I am always the only non-Black person around and I am never treated any differently by my family.
  • Fallout SuperUl... 2012/12/15 13:44:34
    Fallout
    +1
    We are all human under our skin. Fear and ignorance fuel racism.
    I've travelled to other countries, went to an all black high school,
    and learned a lot about myself along the way.

We live in a much warmer world than the media portrays.

2014/09/15 06:04:28