Your Friend Is Going Through A Tough Time. How Do You Help Them?

Peapod 2010/09/18 02:48:54
Related Topics: Friend, Honest
I'm there....even if it's just a phone call or an email.
I back off.  People need to work out their own stuff.
I want to be more supportive, but I'm not real good at it.
I probably do a little of all the above, depending on the situation and the person.
The best way to help someone you care about is to........
Be honest. How do you handle pain of those closest to you? When a loved one is really going through something, you do what......

honest handle pain closest younbspnbsp loved

• Alejandra 2010/09/18 05:31:30
    Alejandra
    +7
    I'm always there for my friends..as they have been my angels thru thick and thin.!

• mark 2010/10/31 15:01:23
    mark
    I'm here if they need me . If I can help, then sure I will. Not a problem. As long as I have the resources.
  • Leah 2010/09/28 11:10:28
    Leah
    +2
    I try to be there as much as I can. It may just be a phone call or text or e-mail. I try to touch base with them. I may not talk every day, but I want them to know that I'm thinking about them and that I'm there if they need me.
  • Peapod Leah 2010/09/29 00:14:37
    Peapod
    +2
    Leah, sometimes that is all one needs to do!! To me, it's not the frequency of contact as much as the sincerity behind it. One email or one phone call out of the blue can really make a huge difference!! I know what a treasure you have been to me personally : )

I really do love my friends~
  • Leah Peapod 2010/09/29 02:33:07
    Leah
    +2
    I'm glad I can help! You were great when my uncle died. I don't know if I ever said thank you!
  • Peapod Leah 2010/09/29 02:36:09
    Peapod
    +1
    No need to!! We all walk together here.

walk
  • Thin Lizzy 2010/09/19 16:24:47
    Thin Lizzy
    +2
    I listen to them and support them the best I can.
  • Peapod Thin Lizzy 2010/09/19 19:29:00
    Peapod
    +2
    And I well imagine you are a very good ear! I know I have really come to enjoy having you as a friend here~ : )
  • Thin Lizzy Peapod 2010/09/20 00:12:44
    Thin Lizzy
    +2
    Thank you Peapod! I feel the same for you!

kids hugging Pictures, Images and Photos
  • j2 Thin Lizzy 2010/09/20 00:17:52
    j2
    +2
    Whoops! I almost said something naughty!

My bad -
    whoops naughty
  • Thin Lizzy j2 2010/09/20 00:23:54
    Thin Lizzy
    +1
    What did you almost say lil horn doggie? lol
  • j2 Thin Lizzy 2010/09/20 00:29:12
    j2
    +2
    Hmmm - I'm afraid I might miff two of my friends and get sent to Band Camp at the same time.
  • Thin Lizzy j2 2010/09/20 00:36:48
  • Peapod j2 2010/09/20 01:05:32
    Peapod
    +2
    Off you go!!!
  • j2 Peapod 2010/09/20 01:17:19
  • Peapod j2 2010/09/20 01:52:18
  • Peapod j2 2010/09/20 01:01:48
    Peapod
    +2
    Bad dog!!!

dog
  • j2 Peapod 2010/09/20 01:20:58
  • Peapod Thin Lizzy 2010/09/20 00:58:46
    Peapod
    +2
    I love my girls here!
  • j2 Peapod 2010/09/20 01:15:38
  • BBoy legacy 2010/09/18 23:11:37
    I probably do a little of all the above, depending on the situation and the p...
    BBoy legacy
    +1
    The thing about this... is that when I have problems.. friends don't help me. Some DO... but people just arent that nice nowadays. I'm the supportive one of my crew. depending situation person problems friends people supportive crew
  • Peapod BBoy le... 2010/09/18 23:15:17
    Peapod
    +2
    BB....there were times I experienced this in my life. I felt like I was always there to give, but never was worthy to receive. I also had a time in my life that I just didn't turn to the right people. Some just don't have it to give. I hope you make some good friends here and just see that some really will care. Thanks for coming by and sharing.
  • BBoy le... Peapod 2010/09/18 23:21:21
    BBoy legacy
    +1
    you're welcome
  • Alphamale 2010/09/18 23:03:45
    Alphamale
    +3
    Talk to them and see what they need. be there for them
  • Peapod Alphamale 2010/09/18 23:12:42 (edited)
    Peapod
    +2
    Amazing how much that can mean to someone. I think too often we think we can't do enough, but we can!! I know just a few words and a feeling that one really cares can go a long way in helping me get my feet firmly planted back on the ground.
  • Jules Jellybean 2010/09/18 21:24:31
    Jules Jellybean
    +1
    Hi Peapod, I don't think I would give advice just my experience, whatever the situation might be and sometimes just sitting with them in silence is a good thing too. I would be there for someone if they needed me.
  • Peapod Jules J... 2010/09/18 21:54:34
    Peapod
    +1
    HellooOo Jules! You are so right about how giving advice is usually what people don't want at all. I only give it if asked, but even then, I try to be gentle about it. To me, being a good friend is sometimes letting your friends make their mistakes and learn from them. You never want to put someone on the defense.

Glad you stopped by!!!
  • Piano_Lover 2010/09/18 19:45:06
    Piano_Lover
    +2
    just let them now your there thats what they really have to know
  • Peapod Piano_L... 2010/09/18 22:00:13
    Peapod
    Much agreed with you! And I try and be the first to reach out because I know many people don't like to weigh others down with their issues and they hold it inside.
  • Ada Shadow 2010/09/18 17:06:13
    Ada Shadow
    +3
    ...Be with them. Whenever a friend of mines is upset, I come and ask if they want to talk about it first. If they don;t I wait. I wait until they're ready to speak. I hate seeing friends and family members have pain. It kills me. I do whatever I can to help.
    If someone was from from my hugs, I still try to do what I can. I email, I call, or just chat, I'm there for my friends til the very end.
    I Love and miss you guys! <3
  • Peapod Ada Shadow 2010/09/18 17:07:42
    Peapod
    +1
    We love you too Ada and you know I am always an email away. You are a precious soul with one gigantic heart. I love you for it! ♥
  • Ada Shadow Peapod 2010/09/18 22:20:50
    Ada Shadow
    +3
    I love ya too, Peapod. *hugs*
  • Casy 2010/09/18 14:08:28
    Casy
    +3
    I well always be there for my buddy's!! For I love each and everyone of my freinds! Unconditional love for them. I would again let them know I LOVE THEM and am ALAWYS there for them!!
    1st and foremost I am a good listener! I would let them talk it out and give advice where needed. I would not tell them what the have to do. But I would let them know how I feel. I would go in person to talk with them, unless they live too far away, I may not be able too. Then I would call them in that case. A real voice is always best. A voice they can hear and know it comes from my heart with caring and love. And yes E-mail is ok too, when a phone isn't the way.
    My frined know who they are and they know me. They know already how I care for them. So calling them or e-mailing them ,they well know I am there for them. I hate to see/hear of my friends being sad or hurt, it pains me too. I wish I could take away their saddness/pain. I know I may not be able to do that, but I well try. Try by talking , supporting and caring.

When I am down, my dad would listen and he would tell me how he feels about what's going on...all in love.and suppport. And in the end he'd say...."This too well pass"
    He is uasualy right in the end. But going through tuff times , its good to know there is always that some o...

He is uasualy right in the end. But going through tuff times , its good to know there is always that some one or some ones who truely care about us. Care's enough to hug us, or call us with concern and compassion. Just be there for us cause they love us. Xoxox Casy :)

PEADOD....Is this about you? If so You know I love ya. What is wrong sweets? You can call me any time , you know that.!!

concern compassion love xoxox casy peadod love ya wrong sweets

• Peapod Casy 2010/09/18 15:19:06
    Peapod
    +1
    Casy....I love you. You are so genuine in heart and it's why I instantly connected to you the first time I ever signed on to our original blog group. I remember how nice it was to talk to you on the phone as well, so I know first hand your words are true.

I'm holding up because I know I am surrounded by love here.

I asked the question because I wondered how hard it is to sometimes reach out to others. I tend to feel other people's pain like my own and sometimes I worry I will say too much or too little. But I should know better because each one of my closest friends have a different way about them and no way is wrong in my opinion except when someone completely shies away.

Thank-you for all your thoughts here. You are a good heart! ♥
  • Casy Peapod 2010/09/18 15:28:49
  • Peapod Casy 2010/09/18 17:08:33
    +3
    just Listen
  • Peapod Sister ... 2010/09/18 15:20:36
    Peapod
    +3
    Hello Sister Jean! Sometimes that is all we can do and it can be such a wonderful thing to do for someone hurting. I think most of us just want to know we are not alone in this world. ~☺
  • Sister ... Peapod 2010/09/18 15:23:39
    +2
    that's why so many are here on sodahead
  • Peapod Sister ... 2010/09/18 17:09:18
    Peapod
    +3
    So true Sister. It's been my safe haven.
  • MichaelV 2010/09/18 12:44:47 (edited)
    MichaelV
    +3
    You hold your heart and soul to them as close as you can , and let them gently know you care so so much!!!. And never say anything LIKE ("ALL will be alright") until they tell you they need to hear that. To me a good friend acts only human and never as God:)))))) PS. Excellent question!!!!!!!!!

2014/10/25 07:59:16