Your child is crying and rubbing their red sore bottom after you spanked them for being disrespectful to you? Discipline or CHILD ABUSE?

Abel Lewis 2010/11/23 00:31:55
Discipline. I don't tolerate disrespect from my kids period.
CHILD ABUSE!
I believe this is Discipline. A child crying and rubbing their red sore bottom shows me they learn their lesson.

• **StarzAbove** 2014/07/13 01:45:59
    **StarzAbove**
    I disciplined my kids with a good spanking when they misbehaved or when they were in danger. And I didn't have to do it very often, a little spanking will send a powerful message, and my kids turned out great. Neither one of them ever rebelled against us, both college grads, and have never been in any kind of trouble.
  • allen saunders 2014/03/05 00:18:58
    CHILD ABUSE!
    allen saunders
    Your child is a person not your property you are a sadistic person to unhealthy to know it you are dangerous to your own child
  • richard evans 2011/04/26 08:30:17
    richard evans
    +2
    No it is definately not child abuse. When my 3 daughters were between the ages of 6 to 14 if any of them misbehaved i would put them over my knee lift up their dress and take down their knickers then spank their bare bottoms with my hand until their bottoms were red.
  • allen s... richard... 2014/06/01 17:59:37
    allen saunders
    None of children have actually done anything wrong worthless parents just assault thrm for trival reasons thats how it works I do not even know why most of these even became parents you had so much bullying and violence to share you can not pick your parents and it takes no talent to become one
  • Darryl 2011/04/22 15:46:26
    Darryl
    +2
    Truely discipline,the child will remember now what they did wrong and wont do it again
  • allen s... Darryl 2014/03/05 00:21:57
    allen saunders
    All people who assault and torture children want to get away with it and pretend they are wonderful for doing it anyone can become a parent no talent as a human being required
  • **Starz... Darryl 2014/07/13 01:46:32
    **StarzAbove**
    I agree.
  • PDeverit 2010/12/01 01:26:25
    CHILD ABUSE!
    PDeverit
    Only suitable for minors?:

Schoolchildrens' "spanking" related injuries (WARNING - These images may be deeply disturbing to some viewers. Do not open this page if children are present).
    http://www.nospank.net/injure...

Reasonable and moderate? You decide.
    (WARNING - This sound recording may be deeply disturbing to some listeners. Do not open this file if children are within listening range).
    http://nospank.net/prj-006.wav
  • PDeverit PDeverit 2010/12/01 01:26:55
    PDeverit
    Only suitable for minors?:

People used to think it was necessary to "spank" adult members of the community, college students, military trainees, and prisoners. In some countries they still do. In our country, it is considered sexual battery if a person over the age of 18 is "spanked", but only if over the age of 18.

For one thing, because the buttocks are so close to the sex organs, anal region, and so multiply linked to sexual nerve centers, striking them can trigger powerful and involuntary sexual stimulus in some people. There are numerous physiological ways in which it can be intentionally or unintentionally sexually abusive, but I won't list them all here. One can read the testimony, documentation, and educational resources available from the website of Parents and Teachers Against Violence In Education at www.nospank.net

Child bottom-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child bottom-battering (euphemistically labeled "spanking","swatting","switch... "paddling",or other cute-sounding names) for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

There are several reasons why child bottom-battering isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads reco...

Only suitable for minors?:

Child bottom-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

There are several reasons why child bottom-battering isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
    by Jordan Riak
    http://www.nospank.net/pt2010...

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
    by Tom Johnson
    http://nospank.net/sdsc2.pdf

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
    by Lesli Taylor MD and Adah Maurer PhD
    http://nospank.net/taylor.htm

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping/battering isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,
    American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
    American Psychological Association,
    Center For Effective Discipline,
    Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
    Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
    Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
    Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
    United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

The US states with the highest crime rates and the poorest academic performance are also the ones with the highest rates of child corporal punishment.

There is simply no evidence to suggest that child bottom-battering instills virtue.
  • Nikki 2010/11/26 17:01:53
    Nikki
    +1
    My parents never let us get away with anything but we always knew right away what was right or wrong my Dad would give us this look and we knew oh shoot... but after you messed up once believe me we NEVER did it again... we all turned out to be very well mannered children and I never once thought of it as abuse because, my dad wasnt like that it was purely discipline and we knew what we did was wrong! If it comes to it and my kid will not do as told a spanking is what he/she will get believe me it works!!
  • Abel Lewis Nikki 2010/11/26 17:31:27
    Abel Lewis
    I believe you. But can I ask you a question? Do you think spanking on the bare bottom is Discipline or Child Abuse? I want to know what do you think?
  • Nikki Abel Lewis 2010/11/26 17:42:10
    Nikki
    +1
    I never was spanked bare bottom but I guess it just depends how hard I know my dad was spanked bare bottom but that was in the 60's and 70's but no matter what the year I dont think it matters... my grandparents are both very loving people.... I probably wouldnt bare bottom spank my children though...
  • Abel Lewis Nikki 2010/11/26 20:28:07
    Abel Lewis
    Ok. But I would only spank my kids on their bare bottom only if they really deserves it.

It's Discipline to me.
  • Nikki Abel Lewis 2010/11/26 21:26:07
    Nikki
    +1
    yeah true... im not opposed to it...
  • Abel Lewis Nikki 2010/11/26 22:42:58
    Abel Lewis
    What do you mean your not opposed to it?
  • Nikki Abel Lewis 2010/11/26 23:03:47
    Nikki
    +1
    im not against it
  • Abel Lewis Nikki 2010/11/27 01:44:55
    Abel Lewis
    I'm not against it either.
  • SpikeM ~In decay and abando... 2010/11/26 02:36:37
    SpikeM ~In decay and abandonment I trust~
    +1
    That means they got spanked properly
  • Abel Lewis SpikeM ... 2010/11/26 17:32:18
    Abel Lewis
    +1
    Yes it does. It's Discipline.
  • SpikeM ... Abel Lewis 2010/11/26 17:33:00
    +1
    yes it is
  • Abel Lewis SpikeM ... 2010/11/26 17:37:46
    Abel Lewis
    +1
    Do you have kids of your own? And how many do you have?
  • SpikeM ... Abel Lewis 2010/11/26 17:38:49
    +1
    I don't have any kids, I just believe in discipline though
  • Abel Lewis SpikeM ... 2010/11/26 20:28:36
    Abel Lewis
    +1
    I believe in Discipline too.
  • SpikeM ... Abel Lewis 2010/11/26 20:30:00
    +1
    Good if more people did.....
  • Dragoness 2010/11/23 09:37:00
    Dragoness
    +2
    I say discipline....however I also feel that discipline should leave no lasting marks. If you can see a welt or mark the next day its too much in my opinion. I spank as a last resort, but I would never use anything other than the palm of my hand. No belts, no spoons, so switch...
  • kookieboo Dragoness 2010/11/23 23:39:29
    kookieboo
    I agree with you ... the spank does not even need to be that hard for the message to be sent and nor would i use anything other than my hand
  • Abel Lewis Dragoness 2010/11/23 23:50:08
    Abel Lewis
    I know marks are Child Abuse. But I don't believe spanking with belts, hairbrushes, and paddles are Child Abuse. I believe it's Discipline.
  • Dragoness Abel Lewis 2010/11/24 18:45:36
    Dragoness
    I personally believe that using paddles etc could lead to abuse or even unintentional injury, besides that I feel it is more demeaning than using the hand. My feelings on this come from when i was 8 and traveled to Texas to spend the summer with some family friends. I remember that the middle child did something wrong and I was the oldest (by 6 months, I was also an only child) and the dad wanted who whip me with a belt on the grounds that "as the oldest I should have known better" when in reality I didn't even know what had happened, nor was I accustomed to being responsible for the actions of younger siblings. I remember telling him "you can spank me with your hand, but if you touch me with a belt I will call the police" and I made them call my mother who backed me up and told them not to touch me with a belt and arranged for me to go stay with some other friends in Texas for the rest of the summer. I remember feeling at 8 years old that the belt was unjust and unfair, especially since I had not knowingly done anything wrong. I hold to those feelings today.
    I am not saying that I feel using something like a belt is child abuse, I DO feel that its discipline, but only when used properly. I feel that the risk for going too far or causing injury is too high, just my personal opinion. I would not turn someone in for using a belt on their child unless using a belt caused a major problem like broken skin or lasting bruises.
  • Abel Lewis Dragoness 2010/11/24 19:04:00
    Abel Lewis
    Ok. Thank you for your opinion. But all i'm gonna to say is there is a wrong way and a right way of using objects. The right way of using a belt is spanking a child hard enough for it to hurt that is it. The wrong way of using a belt is spanking a child until they are bleeding blood, bruises, and marks. This is the wrong way. Spanking with a paddle is Discipline to me.
  • justagirl 2010/11/23 04:58:57 (edited)
    justagirl
    +1
    Don't know where I stand on this issue. I was never smacked as a child, my mum only told me off a few times. Didn't bother arguing with her. I respected her and when I knew she was disappointed in me for doing something, I learnt from that and thought over how I reacted or whatever. Never had to be grounded, never got a detention or spoke out in class, was always polite and never rebelled against my parents. Why? Because they didn't annoy me by telling me what I couldn't do. They didn't constantly say, "you cannot do that! DO AS I SAY.", they only guided me. This is why some children are little bastards. They're either told they can do whatever they like (and their behaviour is encouraged and reinforced by giving them attention and more toys, for example) or they're told they can't do anything. Sucks either way, anyway.
  • Abel Lewis justagirl 2010/11/23 05:04:42
    Abel Lewis
    So what do you mean? Parents are suppose to tell you what to do.
  • justagirl Abel Lewis 2010/11/23 05:17:28
    justagirl
    But to be forceful with it? I don't like that. It annoys me when parents shout at their children and constantly criticise and tell them what they *must* do and then wonder why they're misbehaving. I just feel that parents need to tone it down, but obviously not too much. It's just as damaging to be overprotective and tell your child how everything *must* be done than it is to let a child go out and do whatever the hell it likes without educating them about things.

My friend's parents were always telling her how it had to be. She'd be told to come home at a certain time and if she was 5 minutes late, she'd be yelled at. What did she end up doing? Picking on my group of friends. I think it's because she had been picked on and bossed around at home, so she obviously thought, "well, nobody can tell me what to do now. I'll get the most out of this freedom by bossing my friends around and get my anger out while I'm at it." My parents, on the other hand, wouldn't get too mad over that. They'd just remind me that I should keep track of time and stay safe. They reminded me *why* they expected me home at a certain time and told me they wanted me to be happy and still have fun. I was fine with that and always tried to make it home on time.
  • Abel Lewis justagirl 2010/11/23 23:37:06
    Abel Lewis
    As long kids are is living in their parents house. The parents can force their kids can do whatever they want. It's truth.
  • Abel Lewis justagirl 2010/11/23 23:39:31
    Abel Lewis
    I don't see nothing wrong with parents forces their kids to do anything as long as they are living in their parents house.
  • Ty ~ PHAET 2010/11/23 04:12:08
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +1
    They gotta learn somehow, right? Nothing says "don't do that again" like a paddle to the ass.

gotta learn paddle ass spanking demotivational poster
  • Abel Lewis Ty ~ PHAET 2010/11/23 04:20:16
    Abel Lewis
    +1
    AMEN! Spank them on the bare bottom. amen spank bare spanking with a hairbrush
  • Ty ~ PHAET Abel Lewis 2010/11/23 04:28:55
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +1
    Exactly. See how that kid's ass is glowing red? I'll bet he isn't gonna do whatever it was he did again.
  • Abel Lewis Ty ~ PHAET 2010/11/23 04:42:47
    Abel Lewis
    +1
    I know that's right.
  • Nichole 2010/11/23 02:20:09
    Nichole
    +1
    Nothing is wrong with spanking a child for misbehaving. The whole time-out punishment does not work in the long-run. Everyone in my family was spanked as a child and we turned out just fine. There is a difference in punishing and abuse as well as there is an appropriate time and place for a child to be spanked. I learned much more of a lesson from getting my butt tore up with my father's belt or a switch than I ever did from being put in the corner or in time-out.
  • Abel Lewis Nichole 2010/11/23 02:29:17
    Abel Lewis
    +1
    AMEN! If the child didn't want a spanking then they shouldn't of never been disrespectful. Don't you agree with me?

2014/10/24 18:21:27