You see a homeless woman shoplifting food. Do you report her?

The Beaver 2008/08/13 23:59:02
Yes, I'd tell the manager
No, but I'd tell her to stop
No, I'd look the other way
Other

• magmeister10 2008/08/16 13:04:18
    Other
    magmeister10
    +11
    I volunteer at a homeless mission. I'd take her there and get her something to eat, and some help from the staff. Believe it or not, the food there is GREAT! The local Panera, Krogers and other restaurants and groceries donate great day old breads and other baked goods. Red Lobster even donates seafood that is too old for them to use, so has to be used right away, so sometimes the homeless get to eat shrimp or even lobster. There's usually not a lot of it, so it goes into a stew or bisque, but it's always great. The meals there are just that, full MEALS, not just soup and a piece of bread. It's free and anyone can eat there, no questions asked.

• Deirdre... Kara ~~... 2008/08/20 19:59:29
    Deirdre~mArY
    +1
    your right you really can't tell from looking at somone
  • Constant 2008/08/20 03:01:18
    No, I'd look the other way
    Constant
    +3
    Not my business.
  • NiteFlite Imagery 2008/08/20 02:52:45 (edited)
    Other
    NiteFlite Imagery
    +3
    I'd buy it for her.
  • Lynn 2008/08/20 01:53:04
    No, I'd look the other way
    Lynn
    +3
    I would not tell on her but I would help her with more food and a place to stay and help get a job. It is a shame that anyone is homeless in the greatest country in the world. We really have problems when are hearts are so hardend to the suffering of are follow man.
  • missoni 2008/08/20 01:42:09
    No, I'd look the other way
    missoni
    +2
    She needs it. Go right ahead.
  • ike 2008/08/20 01:36:28
    Other
    ike
    +2
    I would buy the food for her
  • coonass 2008/08/20 00:36:26
    No, but I'd tell her to stop
    coonass
    +2
    and then my wife and I would go get her something to eat.
  • Bored Stiff 2008/08/20 00:15:04
    Other
    Bored Stiff
    +3
    Being a fan of the novel and musical, Les Miserables, I have to say, as some have below, that I'd offer to buy the food for her. Everyone needs help at some point in their lives, and I couldn't live with myself if I just passed her by without offering some assistance.

Jean ValJean was touched when the Bishop looked the other way when he stole from him, and that was what helped him want to become a better man.
  • DJ*~ 2008/08/19 22:15:27
    No, I'd look the other way
    DJ*~
    +2
    I know where this elderly lady is coming from, and I'll bet it is a can of Tuna, not Salmon, and a pack of hot dogs, not Steak this woman takes. I am just a few years since Disability cost my career as a R.N., I hope, however, I would have answered the same back when I was a 'has' rather than the has not I am today. I have not shop lifted yet...yet, a sad word for this individual,
    but in a world where Sen. McCaine says 5M is rich, yet has no hear for me who is less than 15K/year, and no additional assist, he knows not I exist
  • J DJ*~ 2008/08/20 21:20:32
    J
    +1
    I raised three kids on minimum wage (and occasionally a wee bit more). I never stole anything and wouldn't have. I didn't have cable tv or a large screen tv; I didn't have a nice car; I didn't have any extra services on my phone. I got by on the bare minimum. People think that in order to survive they must have items like the cell phones, designer clothers/shoes, trips to the hairdressers regularly, etc. Get over it people, we are still at our poorest, better off than most of the world's average people. Since my kids have grown, I am now making just a little more than ten-dollars an hour. I own my own home, have a car that is paid for, all my furniture if paid for, I have no credit cards and no bank loans. I have learned to "get by." Now, for the first time, I feel like I don't have to live so tight to the budget. I feel for those who truly have need, but little pity for those who think that having all the new technology, etc. is necessary to have a happy -and poor man's, life.
  • Jaybird 2008/08/19 21:12:31 (edited)
    Yes, I'd tell the manager
    Jaybird
    +3
    There are places and programs to help the homeless. I rather buy the woman a mean than allow her to steal.
    I probably tell her, first and give her a chance to do the right thing, but I would advise the store management.
  • bfh 2008/08/19 21:01:07
  • JerrysLady 2008/08/19 20:31:34
    Other
    JerrysLady
    +2
    I would approach her and tell her that I have been down and out before, then offer to accompany her to the nearest food bank. If she has children, I would advise her to go to the YWCA Alive Shelter. They help women like her to get back on their feet and find employment and be self-sufficient!

bank children advise ywca alive shelter women feet employment self-sufficient
  • Eyebrowz² 2008/08/19 20:01:39
    No, I'd look the other way
    Eyebrowz²
    +3
    I'd let her do it, I've been there. If I had the money, I'd even buy her whatever she needed, food, hygiene products, etc. When your homeless, your options for survival slim down to stealing what you need, begging for change, eating out of dumpsters, and bathing in gas station restrooms, it's not a happy life, but your living. I couldn't turn someone in for doing what they needed to in order to just live with the bare minimum they can get, and these days people can be so heartless towards humanity, you're lucky to get a dollar for a cheeseburger.
  • Marie55 2008/08/19 19:32:58
    No, I'd look the other way
    Marie55
    +3
    No, I know how times are. I don't care if it raises prices. People shouldn't have to starve. Heck, I'm getting ready to steal. Sounds like fun.
  • Rings. 2008/08/19 18:21:58
    No, but I'd tell her to stop
    Rings.
    +2
    Society and goverment has to taken care to rehabilate homeless
  • Emily<3Zero 2008/08/19 17:16:07
    Other
    Emily<3Zero
    +3
    Alright...... I wouldn't report her, but I would have her go back in and pay for it with my money. Then I'd take her to the nearest food pantry.......
  • marie-claude AK 2008/08/19 16:50:56 (edited)
    Other
    marie-claude AK
    +2
    simply i'd buy her the food by that way she can get her food and the store can maintin his right to profit from the items he's selling.winning for both of them.and even if i didin't tell the manager, to let her have the food she needs to eat someone else will tell the manager about her or the security will find out.so it's the safestway i think
  • rjcuzican 2008/08/19 08:19:25
    Other
    rjcuzican
    +2
    if she looks cracked out i would confront her myself,if she has kids and looks cracked out im kicking some ass, buying the food myself for the children and calling CPS!if the woman is sober looks healthy i will let her go purchase whatever she took and let god take the situation in his hands children calling cpsif woman sober healthy purchase god situation hands
  • DJ*~ rjcuzican 2008/08/20 23:48:56
    DJ*~
    +1
    You are going "to be kicking some ass?" - They asked about homeless woman...and your best answer is to decide her health, her sobriety - (do you carry drug testing equipment with you?) Are you a doctor? You are gonna kick ass, but then leap to God???? The best answers were better than my own was...trying to help - take to food pantry, buy a meal. God bless you folks, but who are you to speak of kicking ass...jeez, just tell the manager What a backasswards creature
  • bukie 2008/08/19 04:38:49
    No, I'd look the other way
    bukie
    +3
    shes homeless and i would feel bad for her
  • Anna:) 2008/08/19 02:19:49
    No, I'd look the other way
    Anna:)
    +3
    i wouldnt because h3llo sh3s hom3l3ss! h3llo sh3s hom3l3ss
  • MAGGIE IRISH EYES 2008/08/19 01:33:23
    Other
    MAGGIE IRISH EYES
    +4
    First of all, I would never be a snitch and tell the manager. Snitches should clean out their own closets, get a life, and say: "There but for the grace of God go I."

I would offer her money for a meal or go over to the deli counter and buy a sandwich for her. .
  • Anjirocks 2008/08/19 01:32:51
    No, I'd look the other way
    Anjirocks
    +3
    that's a good question.

stealing is always wrong in my book but to be honest i would feel too sorry for her to report her. i'd pretend i didn't see her.
  • Josh 2008/08/19 01:30:18
    Other
    Josh
    +2
    I'd wait for her to take what she wanted, then knock her out and steal it for myself.
  • denbo62 2008/08/19 00:37:16
    denbo62
    +2
    i'd help depending on her situation
  • KornyKittie 2008/08/19 00:31:01
    Yes, I'd tell the manager
    KornyKittie
    +1
    Yes, I would report her, because stealing is stealing. Just because you can't pay for something you want doesn't mean you have the right to take it. If I see a shirt at the mall that I want, but I can't pay for, do I have the right to take it? No. Same rules apply to everyone.
  • Josh KornyKi... 2008/08/19 01:32:01
    Josh
    +6
    she can't afford ANYTHING. and this is food, not a clothing item she could live without. people need food to LIVE. It's still not right of her to steal, but I wouldn't tell and make her starve.
  • Anjirocks Josh 2008/08/19 01:35:22
    Anjirocks
    +3
    and not only would she starve but she'd get a criminal record which means that if she ever got her life back on track it'd be more difficult for her to get a job.
  • JerrysLady Josh 2008/08/19 20:47:05
    JerrysLady
    +1
    I agree with you 100%, Josh.

As for those who would "tell on" her:

There are some people out there who have no clue what it's like to be in a bad situation. They never had to starve and wonder where their next meal will come from, if it comes at all. By telling on her (it's called tattling as far as as I'm concerned, shame on you!), you are making her life, which is already a nightmare in itself, much worse. She will get hauled off to jail, hungry, while you go home to your happy cozy home up on snob hill and pig out on your steak and lobster which was most likely purchased by your mommy & daddy. You more than likely were born with a platinum spoon in hand while others were born holding a rusty fork. Shame on you.

daddy born platinum spoon hand born holding rusty fork shame
  • Jaybird JerrysLady 2008/08/19 21:33:09 (edited)
    Jaybird
    +2
    When we allow criminal activity to take place we become a party to it. Good cause or not, it a slippery slope. If it’s acceptable where do we draw the line, who’s worthy of steeling and who’s not. And when the price of our own groceries goes up to cover the cost of stolen goods, at what point can we not afford to buy groceries ourselves. I don’t want to be insensitive to the problems of others, but looking the other way is not the answer. There are avenues to get help for people who need it, it just requires more effort then turn our heads.

What if the reason she is homeless is that she is a hopeless kleptomaniac and she has lost everything because of steeling. Do you want to support her self destructive behavior or get the girl some help?

The question is more complicated than it seems.
  • Josh Jaybird 2009/12/14 20:45:22
    Josh
    Everything is usually more complicated then it seems, but in real life, when you see a homeless woman steal a food item, you make a decision whether or not to tell. You don't have time to think "Wait. Maybe she is a hopeless kleptomaniac who lost everything because of stealing, and is furthering the damage already done to her life by stealing that can of peas, and so if I want to help her I should report her!".
    You just see a homeless woman stealing food, presumably so she has a so-called dinner for that night. And I really doubt turning our heads and letting someone steal something occurs so often that the prices of groceries will rise until we are in a recession.
  • MAGGIE ... KornyKi... 2008/08/19 01:38:15 (edited)
    MAGGIE IRISH EYES
    +4
    How can you compare a shirt to food??? Perhaps, you've never been hungry. I hope you or a loved one is never hungry.

You would tell the Manager????? Wow!!! That's being a "Pigeon stool".
  • KornyKi... MAGGIE ... 2008/08/19 15:38:29
    KornyKittie
    +2
    You can tell me that food is more important all day long. But the world is meant to be survival of the fittest. If she dies, it gets her inferior genes out of the gene pool.
  • MAGGIE ... KornyKi... 2008/08/19 20:01:19
    MAGGIE IRISH EYES
    +2
    You sound like Hitler's daughter, Ms. Perfect.
  • KornyKi... MAGGIE ... 2008/08/20 05:37:25
    KornyKittie
    +2
    Never claimed to be perfect.
  • JerrysLady KornyKi... 2008/08/19 20:49:48 (edited)
    JerrysLady
    +1
    Wow! Another terrorist among us! Life is precious. You have a lot to learn about reality, young lady (and I use the term "lady" very loosely).

For YOU:

terrorist life precious learn reality young lady term lady loosely
  • KornyKi... JerrysLady 2008/08/20 05:38:24
    KornyKittie
    +2
    Wow, a big thumbs down. Is that supposed to bother me?

I was asked for my opinion, I gave it. Don't like it, boo fucking hoo.
  • JerrysLady KornyKi... 2008/08/20 14:16:08
    JerrysLady
    +1
    You are a laughable idiot.

A vegetarian huh? You are one of THOSE types. That explains it!

Your opinion doesn't affect me, I know what's right and what's wrong, and hoping that someone dies of starvation is definitely pure evil.

YOU:

types explains opinion affect wrong hoping dies starvation pure evil
  • KornyKi... JerrysLady 2008/08/20 18:52:00
    KornyKittie
    +2
    I am a laughable idiot? Really? Cause I seem to be laughing at you.

I never said I hoped she died of starvation. That would be slow and painful. Those words never left my mouth. She should die quickly.

2014/11/25 22:11:48