You find drugs in your teenagers bedroom what do you do?

no Kidding 2008/10/14 23:18:56
Call the Police - he broke the law
Flush it with out another word
Bring it to him and talk about it
Get high - thats what we used to do
Let's say you come home from work one day and your wife has found a white powder that you know, from your own past, is a drug. Do You...

• ۩Osiris۩ Loves Isis forever 2008/10/17 14:48:04
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    ۩Osiris۩ Loves Isis forever
    +8
    This is a wise approach, because it is a direct communication while holding the evidence in question.
    You don't get high, this is reinforcing drug abuse by participation.
    You don't flush it, you've just flushed the evidence to dangle in his/her face.
    You don't call the police, what are you some kind of stooly? Your kid will NEVER respect you again!

• Nehkeya 2008/11/06 15:24:44
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    Nehkeya
    Talk about it and then decide what to do from there.
  • that0neguy 2008/10/18 19:18:37
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    that0neguy
    Wouldn't be a bad thing, I'd just want to know about it at least. Also, it really depends on the type of drugs.
  • wiszard 2008/10/18 03:51:08
    wiszard
    Here it is. Let's say a friend of "Ron" gets nailed for posession and names "Ron" as a participant in the scheme of events (buying/selling/using). Now the Police have reasonable suspicion to search your sons room. Bingo. Enough goodies are found to prosecute Ron. Since the drugs were found IN YOUR HOME, you could very well lose it. Whether you knew of the drungs or not. I would give Ron one choice, and one choice only. Stop ALL the drug activity or I will turn you in. You can not let Ron bring down the entire family. Period.
  • john conner 2008/10/18 01:16:33
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    john conner
    +1
    big punnishment
  • troy82 - Christ is returnin... 2008/10/18 01:02:24
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    go balistic [ verbally only] then destroy it, give only warning- next time speech, but follow thru! Spend alot more time at least talking, if not actually hanging with the kid!
  • RealityApologist 2008/10/17 22:21:12
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    RealityApologist
    It depends very much on the teen and the drugs. A conversation would certainly be in order, but the tone would vary great depending on if it were marijuana or methamphetamine.

If he's an older teen (17 or so) and is doing well in school, I'd be inclined to let him keep it so long as he uses it responsibly; something like that would be a great time to talk about the difference between drug abuse and responsible drug use.
  • wiszard Reality... 2008/10/18 03:55:17
    wiszard
    Reality,
    Are you kidding? What is it about illegal drug use you don't understand? The effects? Prison? Illegal activity to support the habit? The Police finding enough illegal drugs in your home to confiscate It? Here is a meth user's pix.

habit police finding illegal drugs home confiscate meth users pix
  • Reality... wiszard 2008/10/18 16:55:58
    RealityApologist
    Like I said, it's going to depend a lot on the drug. I'd be willing to let him keep some drugs (e.g. marijuana or hallucinogens) given the above-mentioned conditions, but probably not (say) meth or heroin. All drugs are not created equal, of course.
  • no Kidding Reality... 2008/10/18 13:59:33
    no Kidding
    I'm surprised that you give your own child his drugs back.
  • Reality... no Kidding 2008/10/18 16:58:33
    RealityApologist
    Why? I smoked pot as a teenager and it certainly didn't hurt me any. I'd much rather know what he's doing, let him know that I know, and be certain that he's doing whatever he's doing responsibly. Having an open relationship will encourage him to sneak behind my back less.
  • no Kidding Reality... 2008/10/18 17:15:47
    no Kidding
    I agree with one caveat, Like it or not, and I don't like it, possession of marijuana or hallucinogens is illegal and can lead to far reaching problems if an arrest is made.
  • Reality... no Kidding 2008/10/18 17:26:39
    RealityApologist
    +1
    True, which is why I'd rather let my child know that if he's going to use drugs, he needs to use them responsibly. If he feels like he needs to sneak around behind my back, he's much more likely to go smoke in a park, a car, or somewhere that he's likely to get caught. If he knows that I'm OK with it (so long as his grades stay up), he can just stay home and get stoned. No car wreck, and no arrest.
  • paul Reality... 2012/06/28 03:38:19
    paul
    +2
    Drugs today are alot different than in your day!!! You can't even smoke weed without knowing if its laced with something else. So your going to trust your kids life when the person selling it to him only cares about themself and $$. Your stupid because weed wasnt a stepping stone for the other (bad) drugs for you doesnt mean it will work that way with your kid. Just say no to it all keep your house and your kid and be drama free with no cop involvement or drugs. And if hes a responsible user doesnt mean his dealer is responsible. You're way to trusting of the rest of the world on your kids part.
  • Firstwildabeast 2008/10/17 21:39:01
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    Firstwildabeast
    +1
    Then flush it. Then start spending more time with the kid. talk flush spending kid
  • wiszard Firstwi... 2008/10/18 03:57:20 (edited)
    wiszard
    First,
    Good idea. While spending time with the kid put down the rules of acceptable behavior. Here is a pix of a meth user.
    spending kid rules acceptable behavior
  • Foo Master Angie 2008/10/17 21:34:47
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    Foo Master Angie
    First, I'd want to know where he got the money to buy coke.
    Then, I'd want to know who he got it from.
    Kids have a sense of invincibility. They don't think they're going to die until they're a million years old. They need to understand that drugs carry a serious danger, and the more serious the drug, the more serious the danger.
  • Magzilla 2008/10/17 21:27:20
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    Magzilla
    Talk to them about it and have them go with me to visit people who totally wasted their lives away on drugs.
  • wiszard Magzilla 2008/10/18 04:02:17
    wiszard
    Magzilla,
    Good idea, Have a cop take you both to "talk to" a current druggie in the seedy side of town. here is a pix of a herion user in his prime.

cop talk current druggie seedy town pix herion user prime
  • Magzilla wiszard 2008/10/18 04:11:02
    Magzilla
    Yup. I think for the most part what I say won't mean anything but if they see the reality of it that should knock them into shape.
  • no Kidding Magzilla 2008/10/18 13:57:21
    no Kidding
    +1
    I almost wasted my life on drugs and now I'm doing fine, 19 years clean and sober today. My fear is that my teenaged kids would think "well dad you used for years and now your OK" On the bright side I know what it looks like and what can happen and if needed I'll pull out my collection of obit's. of the people in my group that went too far.
  • TexanInHawaii 2008/10/17 21:24:57 (edited)
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    TexanInHawaii
    +1
    I don't remember what I did...OH, it was actually the son's girlfriend's and I talked to him and told him to get the sh*t out of my house. He was pretty cool about it, I think I scared him because I didn't have a knee jerk emotional outburst over it...

PS...they both grew up and turned out just fine.

~~EDIT~~I didn't read so well, I thought it was "generic" drugs...my experience was with weed.
  • Constance*sick to death of ... 2008/10/17 16:47:58
    Constance*sick to death of idiots*
    +1
    Too vague a question to give an honest answer...

How old is the kid? Do his younger sibs have access to the room? Does anyone else have access to the room? Why was I in his room in the first place? Is it a small amount - a "hmm I wonder what all the fuss is about" amount or a "I wonder if I can make enough to fund my PhD" amount? Do I have reason to suspect him of doing drugs? Am I sure about what I've found, or am I just having a panic reaction?

Before I did anything, I'd need to talk to the kid... I can't make an informed decision without information. I do know that calling the cops is very likely the last thing I'd do.
  • fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust" 2008/10/17 16:33:08
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    ...then I would take him to an NA or CA meeting and let him see and meet what years of coke use will do to you.
  • wiszard fuzzy K... 2008/10/18 04:04:45
    wiszard
    Fuzzy,

Why not just google "meth user" or "herion user". Here is one result. fuzzy google meth user herion user result
  • fuzzy K... wiszard 2008/10/18 15:45:10
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    The 'net is fine, but nothing compares to listening and talking to people who have been through hell because of drugs. Hearing about sleeping in alleyways in filth, freezing, suffering all because they need to get high. Scared straight.
  • rushforpres 2008/10/17 15:08:56
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    rushforpres
    +3
    ...letting him know that I will be forced to bring the law in this if he/she brings illegal substances into my house.
  • Justagirl 2008/10/17 15:05:44
    Justagirl
    +4
    I would have to flush it immediately for personal reasons, then we would talk. My first consideration would be that someone was getting too much allowance!
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    ۩Osiris۩ Loves Isis forever
    +8
  • no Kidding ۩Osiris... 2008/10/17 15:20:41
    no Kidding
    +5
    not to mention the felony charges the police would surely level against your child or possibly you.
  • ۩Osiris... no Kidding 2008/10/17 16:14:21
    ۩Osiris۩ Loves Isis forever
    +3
    You said it, brother. That kind of trouble could dog your child for the rest of his/her life... .
  • wiszard ۩Osiris... 2008/10/18 04:11:12
    wiszard
    +1
    Tomason,

Then make it QUITE CLEAR beyound any reasonable doubt about that very fact.
  • wiszard no Kidding 2008/10/18 04:10:51
    wiszard
    +1
    No kidding,
    You can not be charged if you are the one doing the reporting, however, if the Police
    FIND illegal drugs in YOUR HOME then you can be held accountable.
  • wiszard ۩Osiris... 2008/10/18 04:07:17 (edited)
    wiszard
    +1
    Tomason,
    "you don't call the police...." Why not? If my financial survival depended upon the police not finding drugs in MY HOME you bet that would be one option I would not hesitate to use. There is the rest of the family to think of, not just the druggie.

Am I supposed to respect the kid for bringing that garbage into MY HOME?
  • ۩Osiris... wiszard 2008/10/18 04:25:42
    ۩Osiris۩ Loves Isis forever
    No one said to respect a child for bringing drugs into the house, wiszard. What I'm saying is a parent shouldn't involve the cops instantaneously... a pre-emptive confrontation should come before this extyreme step... That's just how I would handle it... It's how my folks did it with me... and it worked.
  • . 2008/10/17 14:35:58
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    .
    +2
    i would bring it to my child...beat my child ass then talk to him/her!
  • Slug Di... . 2008/10/17 16:39:42
    Slug Diamond
    +1
    Old School!
  • . Slug Di... 2008/10/17 17:32:02
    .
    +2
    for sure
  • wiszard Slug Di... 2008/10/18 04:12:19
    wiszard
    +1
    Slug,
    Old school rairly fails.
  • Slug Di... wiszard 2008/10/20 15:22:42
  • ShadowWatcher 2008/10/17 14:11:15
    Bring it to him and talk about it
    ShadowWatcher
    +3
    Then beat him, then flush it.

2014/10/30 14:35:28