Xena Warrior Princess arrested in oil-ship protest

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/03/03 03:33:29
Xena Warrior Princess arrested in oil ship protest
Lucy Lawless, best known for her star role in Xena: Warrior Princess, and five Greenpeace activists were arrested yesterday, four days after scaling a tower on a Shell oil exploration ship to stop it leaving Taranaki.
Police removed the protesters from their perch atop a 174-foot drilling tower on the Noble Discoverer in Port Taranaki. Chartered by oil company Shell, the ship had been due to leave over the weekend to drill five exploratory wells in the Arctic.
Lawless and six activists climbed the tower early on Friday to stop the ship's departure and raise awareness about Arctic oil drilling.
One of the activists left the tower on Saturday and was initially charged with unlawfully boarding a ship. All seven have now been charged with burglary, a more serious crime. All have been released and are due to appear in a New Zealand court Thursday.
Xena Warrior Princess  arrested
Lawless, 43, a native New Zealander, spoke to The Associated Press from atop the tower Friday, where she said wind gusts were making it difficult for the group to stay put. She said she felt compelled to take a stand against oil-drilling in the Arctic and against global warming.
"I've got three kids. My sole biological reason for being on this planet is to ensure that they can flourish, and they can't do that in a filthy, degraded environment," she said. "We need to stand up while we still can."
In a series of tweets over the weekend, Lawless described some of the challenges of staying on the tower.
"I found last night pretty darn scary," she wrote. "Not for sissies."
In a release, Rob Jager, Chairman of Shell New Zealand, said the protest had put people in danger and he was pleased it was over. He said he remained disappointed that Greenpeace hadn't taken up the company's offer to engage in a "productive conversation."
Shell spokeswoman Shona Geary said she thought the ship would leave port within the next few days.
Bunny McDiarmid, the chief executive of Greenpeace New Zealand, said she thought the protest had gone "brilliantly" and that more than 100,000 people had sent messages to Shell to oppose the company's Arctic plans.

Read More: http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-c...

• Matt 2012/03/04 23:27:05
    What I think
    Matt
    +3
    Kind of like protesting the paperboy's house because you don't like the news.

• Janet Vonnik 2014/07/19 17:25:29
    Warrior all the way! You go girl!!!
    Janet Vonnik
    Go Xena!!!!!! From fighting slavers, Sexists, and Gods to Fighting big oil! is there anything about this girl I don't like? .....nope!

Go drown in your own filth oil companies!
  • Anlicnes 2013/08/24 16:03:08
    Well done, Ms Lawless.
    Anlicnes
    One thumbs up for you Ms.Lawless.
  • VampFreak13 2012/03/07 12:20:58
    I love it when people take stands for what they Believe to be right.
    VampFreak13
    Even if I do not agree with their particular stand I would defend their right to feel the way they do and respect the fact that they were willing to stand up for what they believe in... :)
  • JayLynx 2012/03/07 12:20:05
    JayLynx
    +1
    Thank you, Xena!
    I cannot consider this Greenpeace protest ''meaningless''. Because Chevron was responsible by an accident here, in Rio de Janeiro, on november, 2011. 12km2 of the surface of the sea was pure oil. And it was not the only disaster made by Chevron.
    janeiro november 2011 12km2 surface sea pure oil disaster chevron

• misterz 2012/03/05 20:29:00
    Well done, Ms Lawless.
    misterz
  • PeterB 2012/03/05 16:34:34
    What I think
    PeterB
    The sinister, who have some axe to grind, and/or hidden agendas, will always attract the mindless, clueless and naive to protest something! What exactly was accomplished by this mindless exercise?
  • Amasaman 2012/03/05 14:37:26
    What I think
    Amasaman
    There is no such thing as bad publicity. This stunt may have gotten a few people to notice what she was doing, but not nearly enough to make much of a difference.
  • justnotsaying (: 2012/03/05 06:20:46
    justnotsaying (:
    +1
    That's great and all, but I'm sure the ship eventually went on it's way to do whatever it was going to do in the first place.
  • zebsmom 2012/03/05 03:15:12
    zebsmom
    +1
    Nice change compared to how most media personalities "protest." She's standing up for what she believes in, rather than instigating others to do it for her or appearing as part of a photo op to bolster a sagging career. You go girl!
  • Matt 2012/03/04 23:27:05
    What I think
    Matt
    +3
  • Bear Matt 2012/03/10 04:51:44
    Bear
    What???
  • Matt Bear 2012/03/10 06:58:45
    Matt
    The people, working on the ship, don't make corporate decisions.
  • rikonjohn 2012/03/04 01:04:17
    Lawless with good ethics :) xXx
    rikonjohn
    +1
    Have at 'em...
  • ShyCuteArtist 2012/03/03 18:45:30
    ShyCuteArtist
    +1
    You go girl! :)
  • darwolf 2012/03/03 17:52:04
    Well done, Ms Lawless.
    darwolf
    Nice going.
  • GINGERBREAD 2012/03/03 16:52:25
    What I think
    GINGERBREAD
    What the hell would you expect from a HAS BEEN actress? She still needs to have her name on print.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... GINGERB... 2012/03/03 16:56:54
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +3
    shes been in alot more Tv programs than just xena warrior princess
  • GINGERB... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/03 17:08:47
    GINGERBREAD
    +1
    But she's not in the news anymore. How else can she get her name in the news? And also, that green peace ship she was on, what were they using to go from point "A" to point "B". Wind sails, maybe? Bet they used fuel made from OIL?
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... GINGERB... 2012/03/03 17:14:16
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    i understand that green peace uses engines on thier ships that use bio fuel made from plants
  • Soup Man ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/03 18:14:47
    Soup Man
    +1
    the difference is new compared to old in other words
  • j2 ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/05 04:04:17 (edited)
    j2
    We should use bio-fuels to the extent possible, but there aren't enough available to make a dent in world-wide energy needs.

Almost any diesel engine can run on "bio-diesel". No new technology there.
  • Sean 2012/03/03 15:35:28
    Sean
    Go Lucy!
  • I'm History 2012/03/03 15:35:08
    Asbestos, DDT, Love Canal, Agent Orange,Chernobyl, Fukushima, GMOs, Tar Sands...
    I'm History
    Lol, I just had to answer that one because it seemed so logically ridiculous,lol!
    I never saw much of Xena, but Lucy Lawless has morals of steel and Greenpeace has my support, whatever they do, whoever they kill, they have my support!!!!!!
  • SunshineSprinkles 2012/03/03 14:48:37
    Warrior all the way! You go girl!!!
    SunshineSprinkles
    I bet Ares is behind this arrest xD
  • Nan 2012/03/03 13:51:13
    Well done, Ms Lawless.
    Nan
    Good for Lucy!!!!!
  • hari 2012/03/03 11:51:02
    Lawless with good ethics :) xXx
    hari
    +1

Whatever she does is for the noble cause and i respect with salutation
  • clasact 2012/03/03 11:42:17
    At least it was a peacful protest :)
    clasact
    +2
    she and her groupe have every right to protest but not to break the law .Now if it were me I would be doing all I could to make sure shell and the rest of them drilled safely and with as little impact on the surroundings as i could but I wouldnt want to stop them all together
    Well done, Ms Lawless.
    +1
    Indeed! What a crying shame they arrested her.
  • Roblem BN-0 2012/03/03 06:42:45
    Roblem BN-0
    +1
    Good for her!

It will be a great day on this earth when we leave the oil destruction in the past. Hopefully things won't be too far gone.
  • Justin.Long 2012/03/03 06:11:54
    Justin.Long
    +1
    But honestly if it was me I woud have left with them on regardless
  • Redskin 2012/03/03 05:51:53
    Warrior all the way! You go girl!!!
    Redskin
    +3
    Xena

xena

D'Anna

xena danna

Lucretia

xena danna lucretia

Whatever ya do Miss Lucy Lawless,
    Ya are a Badass and always manage to bring a Burning Image into our minds.
    Rock on Girl
  • Mel 2012/03/03 05:46:59
    Well done, Ms Lawless.
    Mel
    +1
    Wonderful Lucy!
  • Butch 2012/03/03 05:25:50
    Warrior all the way! You go girl!!!
    Butch
    +1
    And it all starts at home. See an effort by a neighborhood on the south side of Chicago. That is working to keep 44 acres of Oak Savanna and Open Space form being paved over for two more big box stores. Join us and tell them that "if they chop, we won't shop". https://www.change.org/petiti...
  • MegaFortunateSon 2012/03/03 05:17:10
    Warrior all the way! You go girl!!!
    MegaFortunateSon
    She should of kicked their butt lol.
  • MissJo 2012/03/03 04:59:17
    Warrior all the way! You go girl!!!
    MissJo
    I heard she was even doing her famous war-cries as well! I commend her for taking a stand when so many others don't (:
  • DoxieDad 2012/03/03 04:41:24
    What I think
    DoxieDad
    +1
    What I think is the Ship owners and Royal Dutch Shell should press the New Zealand courts to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law and to also sue Greenpeace for the cost of the time lost by the ship stuck in port while these shenanigans were going on.
  • Mel DoxieDad 2012/03/03 05:48:47
    Mel
    +3
    Yes let's give the polluter an unfair advantage right?
  • Roblem ... Mel 2012/03/03 06:41:07
    Roblem BN-0
    That's right... don't get in the way of those profit margins! Next thing we know this will be the newest reason for an increase in fuel prices. ;-)
  • DoxieDad Roblem ... 2012/03/03 06:50:01
    DoxieDad
    +1
    Did they or didn't they break the law? They broke the law and should suffer the consequences of their actions. If you don't like the products sold use your freedom of choice and not buy the products.
  • JCD aka... DoxieDad 2012/03/03 09:47:29
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    Isn't dumping tea into Boston harbour also "breaking the law"?

2014/09/17 07:31:17