Wow we had a tornado yesterday

sarah 2012/07/27 11:45:28
Related Topics: New York, Injuries, York, Live

I live in upstate New York and yesterday a tornado came through our town , no injuries but much damage,

Have you been through a tornado?

• Crime Time 2012/07/28 07:13:56
  • erro 2012/07/28 05:50:16 (edited)
    erro
    +1
    We have had more than 30 tornados in Saskatchewan this summer so far. That makes us the tornado capital of Canada.

Tornado

funnel

|Bubble Clouds

clouds

Weird Clouds

weird
  • Raphy 2012/07/28 03:00:22
    Raphy
    +1
    Two close calls over bye our house.
  • raschell97 2012/07/27 20:54:17
    raschell97
    +1
    but my mother has back when she worked at the local test track
  • SlaveWaterNymph 2012/07/27 18:34:09
    SlaveWaterNymph
    +1
    oh plenty. The worse one was just before moving out of TN. Hit us at night, was so bad. Had to huddle in the hallway, and thought the tornado was going to rip the house apart. About ten seconds later heard a big explosion and something hit our house. But i was praying the whole time that it would be over with. Got very quiet and we, my family, were talking and saying, is it okay to get out now? And said to wait and nothing else came after that and went outside. Oh my gosh, the sky was just red from a fire that went off pretty close to us. Then went out the front yard and trees were down everywhere. Got a flashlight, and trying to walk the neighborhood and asking if everyone was okay, so heard a lot of yelling going on. Then dad went out to h elp others, and found his co-workers dead. He came back i think about two hours and was crying and what not. Telling us what he saw.
    And we always do this: but the next day, i had to talk to my boss, saying i had to come into work, but i had no way of getting in. Only one way in and out of my place. Then after that, we tried driving around our place to see how bad the damage was. It was really bad. I was crying because it was really bad. Trees, uprooted and their whole roots were showing. The post office that was made of brick completely...

And we always do this: but the next day, i had to talk to my boss, saying i had to come into work, but i had no way of getting in. Only one way in and out of my place. Then after that, we tried driving around our place to see how bad the damage was. It was really bad. I was crying because it was really bad. Trees, uprooted and their whole roots were showing. The post office that was made of brick completely gone, houses next to it gone. Tried going down back roads, couldnt. We didnt have electric for a week, and of course it got really cold as well. But a couple of days later, could finally get out of town and saw, just before getting out, how powerful it was. We have hm a i guess you would call it a boulder on both sides of the road, and if you look at it, you see chunks of the rock gone, and see what path/pattern the tornado went. If i remember twelve people died that day. one of the worse ones ive been through.

On another note, im glad that no one was hurt, but im sorry that there is so much damage. I hope that people will come together, and help out... they didnt do that with us on that terrible day. :)
    +1
    Two of them. Where I was staying had a fully encased basement which gave us total protection. The door opened IN rather than out so as not to be blocked in if the house was torn down and dumped over the door.

When we opened the door it was totally blocked by trash and pieces of the house. The friend of ours that had built the house had two chain saws and 25 gallons of gas down there in sealed containers in a hazzardous materials locker which was sealed. We revvved up the chain saws and cut our way out. Took about 3 hours. Really was a mess. House was totaled. but we survived.

The other time we were able to find shelter in a culvert next to an over pass. The culvert ran through the berm that created the over pass and we crawled into it about 10 feet, where we were met face to face with a family of skunks. They went the other way and we stayed where we were. When we found our car it was over a 1/4 mile way totalled.
  • SteveMarine- JLA 2012/07/27 17:17:01
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +1
    Yes a few... my unit and three of my other units were caught in one last year....we were very lucky to survive.
  • rand 2012/07/27 16:05:40
    rand
    +1
    As a child I watched as one went through a yellow sky and destroyed a public high school. As predicted by climatologists, they will become more and more frequent as we heat up the globe.
  • ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥ 2012/07/27 15:54:20
    ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥
    +1
    There was one a few years ago up the road at my aunts house. And I slept through one the the other day. :)
  • Kryo 2012/07/27 15:01:39
    Kryo
    +1
    12 day series of light to moderate storms, but no other activity relating to anything close to a tornado.
  • Aksana 2012/07/27 14:52:46
    Aksana
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/07/27 14:34:46
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    Woke up with my neighbors chimney coming down above my bedroom roof.
  • selena costa 2012/07/27 13:55:18 (edited)
    selena costa
    +1
    all the electricity went out for i think a week in the entire area. all the stores were sold out and closed, gas stations weren't open, cant cook so it was hard to find food. Thats one of my most memorable times vomiting after waiting 3 hours in line for Chinese food that was cooked only cuz they had a pit and generator XD we payed extra to get partially raw meat! tornado
  • Heat Her 2012/07/27 13:49:41
    Heat Her
    +1
    Where in NY? I live in NY, near a whole lot of trees and kept my eye out the window just in case I had to make a mad dash to the basement.
  • sarah Heat Her 2012/07/27 14:44:14 (edited)
    sarah
    Elmira, it's in the southern tier near the PA border
  • FrancheskahMae:) 2012/07/27 13:44:11
    FrancheskahMae:)
    +1
    Like 2 months ago during tornado season one went through my town, tore up our airport and some of the planes :T. I live in Oklahoma
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2012/07/27 13:25:11
  • Keith 2012/07/27 13:24:22
    Keith
    +1
    They are rare in my area. We have had destructive weather back in late June.
  • rhirhi 2012/07/27 13:20:31
    rhirhi
    +1
    i have been through 5 or 6 all in a week, it was when i was in texas
  • JDreDaCookieMonster 2012/07/27 12:09:01
    JDreDaCookieMonster
    +1
    Hope your alright!, In Texas we have A LOT of tornadoes but none have actually hit my house.
  • sarah JDreDaC... 2012/07/27 13:05:17
    sarah
    They are rare here, yes I'm okay thanks, just lost roof of my garage and few trees down in my yard.
  • JDreDaC... sarah 2012/07/27 13:24:00
    JDreDaCookieMonster
    Damn that sucks, I'm sorry that happened!
  • Vijay Pawar 2012/07/27 11:58:19
    Vijay Pawar
    +1
    No. Never experianced one ! Is this the place where u live ?
  • sarah Vijay P... 2012/07/27 13:06:00
    sarah
    That's a house about a block from mine
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/07/27 11:56:37
  • Becca <333 2012/07/27 11:47:36
  • Claise 2012/07/27 11:47:21
    Claise
    +1
    I only know tornado's from television and they look pretty scary. we dont have them over here

2014/04/17 07:07:30