Would you support single sex classrooms in public schools?

☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/07/10 15:48:01

MIDDLETON, Idaho -- Robin Gilbert didn't set out to confront gender stereotypes when she split up the boys and girls at her elementary school in rural southwestern Idaho.

But that's exactly what happened, with her Middleton Heights Elementary now among dozens of public schools nationwide being targeted by the American Civil Liberties Union in a bitter struggle over whether single-sex learning should be continued. Under pressure, single-sex programs have been dropped at schools from Missouri to Louisiana.

single sex classrooms

Single-sex classes began proliferating after the U.S. Education Department relaxed restrictions in 2006. With research showing boys, particularly minority boys, are graduating at lower rates than girls and faring worse on tests, plenty of schools were paying attention.

Research shows that girls in single-sex schools have more confidence and are afforded more leadership opportunities than they would have in coed schools, the Times and Fox News Channel reported Thursday.

Boys at primary school perform 'significantly' better in English tests if they are taught in classes with fewer girls, a new study claims.

Research from Bristol University, which used data from every state school in England, found that as the proportion of girls rose, the results achieved by their male classmates fell. Steven Proud, who carried out the work, concluded it 'might be beneficial for boys to be educated in single-sex classes' in English.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/08/more-publ...

• Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/07/10 17:50:39 (edited)
    No I would not support single sex classrooms in public school
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    +3
    lol, some of the horniest, sluttiest kids i know went to single-sex schools

i think when you're in a class with people of the same and opposite gender, it teaches interaction so that they won't feel awkward around each other later, or get the need to jump each other's bones xD

• Alummina 2012/07/17 18:48:43
    Alummina
    +1
    Girls and boy's need to interact with each ether :)
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/07/13 22:33:17
    ✞Knight of Honor
    Single sex classrooms encourage homosexuality; that's harmful in my opinion.
  • JanHopkins 2012/07/11 14:49:30
    JanHopkins
    I can't imagine being stuck in a classroom with just girls.
  • Scream 2012/07/11 08:33:43
    Scream
    Some of my classes were girls-only in grade 9. It was horrible. Besides the fact that the boys did better things than the girls (they got to go outside and learn about the environment, etc, while we wrote stories and learnt about refugees) it was so boring being in class without those guys.
    Besides, I find that girls in my class tend to be quieter and more work-focussed, while most of guys are more sporty and confident. Being with girls is incentive for the guys to work harder to keep up. And being with guys pushes the girls to do better in sport and become a little louder and more confident.
  • Cap 2012/07/11 04:57:22
    Yes I would support single sex classrooms in public school
    Cap
    If a school district can adduce reasonable proof suggesting that a segment of its population would benefit from single sex classrooms, lets have single sex classrooms., so long as the data doesn't indicate that the single sex classrooms are a way of diverting resources to a favored group or otherwise discriminatorily favor a given group.
    Constructive improvement.
  • Karasu the Neko Vampire 2012/07/10 21:43:25
    Karasu the Neko Vampire
    I've actually been in a single sex classroom when I went to public school. I don't recommended it because it is extremely hard for the teacher to get a single sex class under control. My all girl classes were really loud and got in trouble almost every day
  • Ninjaman 2012/07/10 20:16:15
    Ninjaman
    +1
    i dont feel having boys and girls in the same classroom is a problem. the problem in a classroom is if the teacher cannot keep control.
  • XRenX 2012/07/10 19:30:49 (edited)
    XRenX
    +1
    It is healthy to get both genders familiar with each other in a social and friendly sense. I had guy friends as a child as I have all my life and never went through the "boys are icky" phase.
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    +3

• MarinerFH 2012/07/10 17:37:56
  • Kid Neon 2012/07/10 17:11:14
    Kid Neon
    +1
    i'd hate to be in a class with only dudes. i hate only being around guys and i'm pansexual.
  • Murph 65 2012/07/10 17:10:59
    Murph 65
    +1
    Sure would, makes it a lot easier to concentrate on what the teacher is presenting. I liked my single-sex classes, especially in high school.
  • RachelA7X 2012/07/10 16:52:43
    RachelA7X
    +1
    I think boys and girls should only be separated for sport but only because sometimes people don't want to feel embarrassed in front of the opposite sex. I used to hate sport with a lot of boys because of this. Also, girls could be hurt if they are playing a rough sport like rugby with boys.
  • Staind_wolf94 2012/07/10 16:35:14
    Staind_wolf94
    +2
    I think that's just stupid. Why are we taking such a profound leap backwards in time?
  • ☆ElenaD... Staind_... 2012/07/10 17:11:10
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    Because boys and girls learn differently. No one is less intelligent than the other, merely they have different styles of learning and different ways of doing things.
  • Staind_... ☆ElenaD... 2012/07/10 20:47:57
    Staind_wolf94
    +1
    You know that does make a little bit of sense. Thanks for sharing that I really didn't even think of that haha^^
  • animangaroo 2012/07/10 16:18:07
    animangaroo
    +1
    But it all depends on the classmates i would be placed with...
  • Jimbo 2012/07/10 16:14:01
    Jimbo
    +1
    My children do not go to public school.
    I have mixed views on single sex classrooms.
  • ☆ElenaD... Jimbo 2012/07/10 16:18:56
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    Do you home school or private school?
  • Jimbo ☆ElenaD... 2012/07/10 16:35:22
    Jimbo
    +1
    We put our children in a Charter school.
  • ☆ElenaD... Jimbo 2012/07/10 17:11:28
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    Excellent.
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2012/07/10 15:57:33
    flyingseaturtle BN
    +2
    Not every class but there are some subjects that are better to teach a single sex.
  • krishalini shivarjah 2012/07/10 15:57:11
    krishalini shivarjah
    this is because to avoid sophisticated and lonely feeling among the society
  • Icarus 2012/07/10 15:56:50
    Icarus
    +1
    No, it's a very bad idea and leads to kids growing up with under-developed social skills.
  • animang... Icarus 2012/07/10 16:20:48
    animangaroo
    Understandable. But do u think it might be easier for your child to learn if there wasnt distractions?
  • Icarus animang... 2012/07/10 18:12:56
    Icarus
    I think discipline in the classroom is far more important than the presence or absence of the opposite sex, and if boys and girls work and socialise together at school then you don't end up turning out socially awkward teenagers.
  • animang... Icarus 2012/07/12 01:17:49
    animangaroo
    but there wil always be awkward teenagers! i am a socially awkward teenager! i cannot even talk to a boy because i am afraid they will yell at me, not because of what i have experianced at school, but at home
  • Icarus animang... 2012/07/12 01:39:39
    Icarus
    Fair point.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/07/10 15:50:38
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/07/10 15:49:38
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +2
    I think a child should experience being around both genders, have my reasons but I'll leave it at this.

2014/09/18 15:55:04