Would you sue a Hospital for compensation, if they made a mistake that cost the life of someone you love, even if you knew the Hospital needed money in order help other patients?

• Gwynodd 2010/01/15 18:22:34
    Gwynodd
    Kind of a lame question but yes I would sue.
  • Dark De... Gwynodd 2010/01/16 20:59:48
    Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    What makes it a lame question?
  • Chrissie 2010/01/06 15:32:07
    Chrissie
    +1
    Good question. I wouldn't sue the hospital but I would sue a doctor that gave the order to make the mistake. Personally, to sue anyone should be to make them accountable.
  • Peggy 2010/01/05 03:08:50
    Peggy
    +1
    Depends. Also, I believe hospitals have mal practice insurance. The hospital in question had better have a good record of helping more than hurting patients.
    I would sue on principle not to bankrupt the hospital. Think I could be cured of this babbling condition???
  • sun1079 "In Nature I Trust" 2010/01/05 02:45:01
    sun1079 "In Nature I Trust"
    +1
    Hell yeah! My husband need back surgery in a few months and if anything happens to him they better watch out!
  • Juliettecr 2010/01/04 23:48:06
    Juliettecr
    +1
    Doctors have screwed me over so many times in my life time that my trust in them are extremely low, and I find it extremely pathetic that I have had to be my own doctor, quite a bit of time over their mere stupidities. I have little to no respect toward doctors, even though I have some very good friends of mine are doctors. My way of thinking is that they treat me that, or my loved ones, that badly as you have asked in your poll, then yes, I would sue the living hell out of them, for perhaps, it would get them to wise up to their carelessness and laziness, get their act together, and become the type of doctors that they should be for the next possible potential patient and all who comes thereafter from them.
  • ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana P... 2010/01/04 23:34:13
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    +3
    A life is priceless!
  • Dark De... ♥ Emily... 2010/01/05 10:48:25
    +1
    I agree. :o)
  • ♥ Emily... Dark De... 2010/01/05 20:35:25
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    well, lets say a GOOD life.
  • Lucy 2010/01/04 13:09:22
    Lucy
    +1
    Probably not, only because it would take 10 years to even get a judicial resolution, and many have in the FINE PRINT of what you sign that they are NOT responsible and you will NOT hold them responsible, kinda like here in S. FLA, my gynocologist office has a sign EVERY OTHER FOOT OF WALL SPACE in his office stating he has NO malpractice insurance and you are allowing him to treat you with that understanding and knowledge and makes you sign a waiver in addition to that. Again, the hospitals, doctors and insurance companies are getting rich while PEOPLE are dying-hence my belief in HEALTHCARE REFORM NOW!
  • JCD aka "biz" 2010/01/04 09:38:28
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    My association has helped several victims of (non-lethal) medical malpractice sue the hospital. Actually, here, it's the insurance company which pays. I have even organized sit-in demonstartions to force one insurance to stop dragging their feet and to pay damages. Now, we have a national compensation fund run by the State which can pay damages in a number of cases. But of course you know that all Europeans, Conservatives and Liberals, are really "Socialists"!
  • Mikey G 2010/01/04 09:37:44
    Mikey G
    +1
    One year ago my Grandfather had to get a ct scan but he had restless leg syndrome and a bad back so they had to sedate him to even get him to sit still long enough for it. But they overdosed him and when he fell asleep that night he fell out of bed broke his neck and was paralyzed from the neck down. When they found him the next morning they had to put him on life support but he had signed a DNR a few years back so they had to unplug him. Days later I was a pallbearer at his funeral. And when I was 8 my Brother was born prematurely and died because of malpractice my parents hadn't even picked out a name yet. But because of that I have a sister today who I love very much. I know these things happen for a reason yet sometimes I wonder what he would have been like or how it would have been to have a brother. And how much happier my Grandmom would be today if she still had my Grandpa. But it was just their time to go I suppose.
  • biff 2010/01/04 07:06:06
    biff
    +2
    Yes, because negligence is negligence, and the hospital and the doctors are all required to have malpractice insurance.
  • ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva 2010/01/04 06:47:11
    ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva
    +2
    If I knew that the hospital needed the money and that they didn't have malpractice insurance paid up then absolutely not. But I see what you're getting at...all funds going to helping patients rather then going out towards lawsuits. Yet its a tough question because thats why there is malpractice insurance. But on the other hand the ins. co.s accept premiums gladly yet when a loved one is killed by malpractice, the ins. co. withholds settlement hoping to get out of paying and they all but force the relatives to bring suit to try to get some sort of restitution.
  • Mellow 2010/01/04 05:39:26
    Mellow
    +2
    I wouldn't sue for money. I would just want the people responsible held completely accountable. Even if that means losing their job. It wouldn't matter to me how many other lives they've saved, if they made a mistake with one, it could happen again, and I wouldn't want that to happen to another patient.
  • NeeSox 2010/01/04 04:31:12
    NeeSox
    +1
    it's a mistake, there is this new thing called forgiveness. of course i'd be mad and of course i would want revenge, but i mean the fact that it was a mistake and that the Hospital was in need of money for other patients would make me decide not to sue.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2010/01/04 04:27:12
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    +3
    Yes. A hospital did & the cost was a life without my big brother of 38 years. He was also my best friend.
  • 123456789 2010/01/04 04:22:15
    123456789
    +1
    No not for money, you cant put a price tag on the life of a loved one. And if the hospital closed it could cost the lives of others. I would want the doctor and nurses who made the mistake to be let go from the hospital so they cannot make the mistake again.

An example the hospital in my town had a guy come out of surgery and the nurses were taking him to his room to fecover and they forgot to plug in the machine that measures heartbeat an ext. The man ended up having a heart attack during the night and was found dead in the morning after doing an investigation the heart attack wasnt that bad and if the machine would have been on the man would still be alive instead of doing a full blown lawsuit the family just asked that the doctors and nurses responsible be let go. The hospital fought this until their lawyer told them that if it went to court they could be looking at many fines
  • wah-yaw 2010/01/04 04:20:03 (edited)
    wah-yaw
    +2
    depends on what happened. if the doctor sowed his cellphone in side of somebody after open heart surgery then you could bet your ass i would
  • Sheila 2010/01/04 04:19:19
    Sheila
    +2
    I don't know how the medical industry works in the UK where you're from, but here, hospitals have insurance to cover such things, so I wouldn't be keeping other patients from getting the care they needed. So, yes, I'd sue with a clear conscience.

But that very subject makes me step up on the soapbox. It is normal for doctors and other healthcare staff to work loooooong hours and double shifts. These very same doctors are telling us about the bad effects of insufficient sleep. Truck drivers are prohibited from driving over a certain number of hours, yet we allow, nay expect, healthcare staff--the people to whom we entrust our lives--to do their jobs with insufficient sleep. It's no wonder there are so many medical mistakes. healthcare staff--the people entrust lives--to jobs insufficient sleep medical mistakes
    healthcare staff--the people entrust lives--to jobs insufficient sleep medical mistakes
  • crimson dragon 2010/01/04 04:13:31
    crimson dragon
    +3
    Don't know. I think it would depend on just how gross an error it was. Anybody can make a mistake, even when they are trying to do their best. But gross negligence and abject stupidity are not so forgivable. It's the shades of gray in between the extremes that make for a tough decision.
  • Astro-Boy PHAET 2010/01/04 04:11:43
    Astro-Boy PHAET
    +1
    I don't know...so many others could be hurt if the Hospital had to be closed, like the one here in SoCal. But I also wuld want someone to pay for the malpractice. It's something to ponder...
  • Star 2010/01/04 04:06:01
    Star
    +1
    No. That's bad karma.

karma
  • Jester 2010/01/04 04:03:38
    Jester
    +2
    Probably. All doctors carry malpractice insurance, so the hospital itself would not take a hit financially.
  • Anjirocks 2010/01/04 04:02:41
    Anjirocks
    +1
    No, I don't think so.

It's a difficult subject; while they are in the wrong and justice should be served, by punishing them you'd be hurting innocent people who need help from the hospital. It's bad enough that one person has already died but by depriving the hospital of money many more could die also.
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2010/01/04 04:00:53
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +3
    Yes, Medical mistakes are the number 3 killer in the United States and it needs to be stopped. Medical mistakes killed my sister. Almost killed me had I not been proactive and knew I was in trouble after a bad medication, even the head of the hospital told me I wouldn't have lived through the night had I taken the sleeping pill the nurse tried to give me after the drug she put into my IV.

Over 250,000 people die each year from medical mistakes and staph infections in hospitals in the USA alone each year.

It will only get worse if this health care bill passes.
  • Vault Dweller 101 ~In Flame... 2010/01/04 03:59:10 (edited)
    Vault Dweller 101 ~In Flames I Trust~
    +3
    Yes, tell it to the judge.
    judge

2014/08/01 08:02:34