Would You Send Wine Back if You Didn't Like it?

mrosen814 2012/07/19 21:21:47
Levi Dalton is a New York-based sommelier and host of the wine podcast, "I'll Drink to That." In his article for Bon Apetit, Dalton reviews an aspect of restaurant wine tasting etiquette. Specifically, he discusses whether it's OK to send wine back once you and your dining guests have already ordered and tasted it.

Dalton offers several tips for wine drinkers at finer dining establishments. One tip he mentions is, "...it isn't rude to ask if the server has tried the wine you're asking about. It's important. The key is to keep the dialogue open with the staff."

BONAPPETIT.COM reports:
"
You've picked out a bottle of wine and now the server is standing over you, asking you to taste it. You do, but... There's a problem: The wine is not at all what you'd expected. In fact, you kind of hate it. You try to mask your disappointment because well, you don't trust your tastes and you wouldn't want to ruin the night for the rest of your table. And heck, maybe the wine is great but you're just not "getting it"? So what happens next? Just follow these tips.

http www bonappetit com blogsandforums blogs bad

Read More: http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/bad...

• Daryl 2012/07/19 21:28:55
    Daryl
    +6
    I would send back dozens of empty bottles because I don't like empty bottles.

• suzyframe 2012/08/21 17:03:59
  • lucky 2012/08/10 17:24:24
    lucky
    Only if it was recommended by the server.
  • zbacku 2012/07/24 16:05:48
    zbacku
    Where's the 'undecided' vote? All I know, if you do, just don't 'whine' about it.   whine
  • Brosia 2012/07/22 00:31:19
    Brosia
    +1
    If I order something and I don't like it, you are damn straight I will be sending it back. I will never spend money on something that I didn't enjoy.
  • bricklyn 2012/07/21 19:01:51
    bricklyn
    You only have the right to send wine back if it is bad. Simply disliking it is not a reason to send it back. You made the choice in the wine you have the choice to drink it or not. It is the exact same as food. If it is poorly cook or rotten you send it back. If you simply do not like it, you can chose to eat it or not.

To send prefectly good wine back simply because you do not like it is very bad manners. Do not expect your money back.
  • Bronar 2012/07/21 12:16:39
    Bronar
    +2
    Only if I assume the wine has gone bad.
  • tobe 2012/07/21 01:05:28 (edited)
    tobe
    some wines downright nasty I don't buy wine by the bottle at restaurants though. They don't want you to take the rest with you and if I pay for it its mine. I wound up the one time I did having to sneak it under my coat. I tend to stick with the same brands though. bella sera merlot
    yellow tail merlot
    bully hill red wine
  • Kyle 2012/07/20 21:31:55
    Kyle
    If you don't like it send it back. I really don't see how expressing your dislike for wine would ruin the evening.
  • bricklyn Kyle 2012/07/21 19:03:59
    bricklyn
    Simply not liking a wine is no reason to send it back. Just like not liking a food is no reason for sending it back either. The test is whether the wine is bad or not.
  • Kyle bricklyn 2012/07/26 02:19:51
    Kyle
    What test?
  • bricklyn Kyle 2012/07/26 03:46:25
    bricklyn
    There are 4 main reasons a bottle of wine may have gone bad and it is appropriate (and expected) to send back the wine in each of these cases.

Corked
    A wine that is “corked” or that suffers from “cork taint” is one that has been in contact with a cork contaminated with TCA (2,4,6- Trichloroanisole.) While people’s sensitivities to the smell of TCA may vary, at higher levels, the odor is quite distinct. Anywhere from 3-7% of wines sealed with natural cork suffer from this and are recognized by a must, wet cardboard odor. On the palate, the wine will lack in fruit, have a raspy finish and will be quite astringent. Many people believe that by smelling the cork, signs of contamination will reveal themselves. In fact, doing so will give you no indicator of cork taint, as it will still always just smell like cork!

Oxidized
    As a natural enemy to wine, air exposure can cause the wine to become oxidized. A wine may become oxidized if it is stored upright. A way to determine this is to touch the cork. If it is dry, it had been improperly stored, has most likely dried out, shrunk and exposed the wine to oxygen. An oxidized wine will be flat, dull and may taste excessively like vinegar. A major sign that a wine has been affected by this is that it may take on Sherry like aromas. (Unless, of c...

Corked

Oxidized
    As a natural enemy to wine, air exposure can cause the wine to become oxidized. A wine may become oxidized if it is stored upright. A way to determine this is to touch the cork. If it is dry, it had been improperly stored, has most likely dried out, shrunk and exposed the wine to oxygen. An oxidized wine will be flat, dull and may taste excessively like vinegar. A major sign that a wine has been affected by this is that it may take on Sherry like aromas. (Unless, of course, you are drinking a Sherry!)

Maderized
    A maderized wine is one that has literally been baked by heat. This can happen in the wine’s transportation in cargo ships during the summertime. This wine will have flavors of almonds and candied fruits, which may at first thought seem appetizing, but are not desirable qualities in a dry table wine. A hint that the wine has been maderized is a cork that is partly pushed out of the unopened bottle. This is due to expansion from the heat within the bottle.

Refermentated
    In rare instances, in a bottle of wine, the residual yeasts may reactivate and go through a second fermentation after it has already been shipped. This would create a fizziness to the wine which, while expected in champagnes and sparkling wine, is not appropriate for table wine.

Next time you go to a restaurant and order a bottle of wine, taste it looking for these qualities. If it has any of them, don’t be hesitant to send it back, as restaurants expect a small percentage of their wine to be defective. And if it tastes and smells delicious, enjoy!.

http://www.wineportfolio.com/...
  • Kyle bricklyn 2012/07/28 02:39:06
    Kyle
    Well thank you, I actually learned alot from that.
  • Beck∞♥☮♫♫♫∞ 2012/07/20 20:51:00
    Beck∞♥☮♫♫♫∞
    Most resturants will allow you a tasting of any wine you have never had to see if you really like it or not.
  • wpsark 2012/07/20 19:21:08
    wpsark
    after a few glasses it won't matter
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/07/20 19:15:55
    Margaret Jacobson
    I would tell the server "I do not like this selection (keeping it polite)............Maybe it is something they want to "get rid of" ............let somebody else drink it ??
  • daveygater 2012/07/20 18:32:37
    daveygater
    +4
    life is a series of sampling; i buy a glass (serving) and if i'm not satisfied then I won't buy that wine again ... ya pays your money and takes your chances !
  • john doe 2012/07/20 18:03:50
    john doe
    Only if you splash it in the waiters face......
  • thy-lady-x 2012/07/20 17:43:50
    thy-lady-x
    +1
    I have never been anywhere that didn't offer a taste of the wine before pouring a whole glass, so if you drink the 'taster' and don't like it then don't acceot it. But if you tried the taster, and accepted then no, you shouldn't 'send it back' or expect some sort of refund.
  • rebeccasrevenge 2012/07/20 16:55:50
    rebeccasrevenge
    +1
    thunder wine I sent back a bottle of wine when I discovered they had made a mistake
  • rebecca... rebecca... 2012/07/20 16:58:26
    rebeccasrevenge
    Hey I KNOW what Thunderbird tastes like!and them trying to foist off that rot gut on me!
  • daveygater rebecca... 2012/07/20 18:36:26
    daveygater
    note that Thunderbird is safer than drinking sterno fuel or rubbing alcohol, and not much more expensive than those non-potable fluids .... fluid marketed as "fine wine" can be just as dislikable as Thunderbird, and costs much more .... ya pays your money and takes your chances (higher price leads to better results only in a portion of events)
  • rebecca... daveygater 2012/07/24 10:56:48
    rebeccasrevenge
    I am at this very moment fermenting my own wine.It's in the first stage so I can't tell you what characteristics it will have,but I think it will fall under dessert wine.I've only used sweet ingredients -orange peels,apple peelings,raisons(had some left from Halloween) ,cinnamon toast and tons of sugar, making it in a Rubber Maid 32 gallon refuse container-trash can just sounds well a little trashy I mean I am making fine wine after all.I want you to have the first bottle.Okay the Second bottle,I told my second cousin I'd christen her" new to her and Bubba" Houseboat,Do you think Mason jars would be alright for bottling?
  • keeper 2012/07/20 16:54:02
    keeper
    Of course... I have before..
  • ZERO 2012/07/20 16:42:36
    ZERO
    +1
    I would if it was 'corked', but otherwise probably not.

"Cork taint is a broad term referring to a wine fault characterized by a set of undesirable smells or tastes found in a bottle of wine, especially spoilage that can only be detected after bottling, aging and opening. Though modern studies have shown that other factors can also be responsible for taint – including wooden barrels, storage conditions and the transport of corks and wine – the cork stopper is normally considered to be responsible, and a wine found to be tainted on opening is said to be "corked" or "corky". Cork taint can affect wines irrespective of price and quality level." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki...
  • mikehowington 2012/07/20 16:36:03
    mikehowington
    +2
    What is the point of letting you taste the wine prior to filling all glasses? It is rare, but I have turned some away. Im not spending high price for a bottle if it tastes bad.
  • Squatch 2012/07/20 15:51:34
    Squatch
    +2
    If something was wrong with it I would, but if I did not care for it I would just not order it again
  • C. C. Rider 2012/07/20 15:45:18
    C. C. Rider
    I would send back bad wine in a heart beat. I refuse to get drunk on wine I detest!!! ehh just a family tradition.
  • bricklyn C. C. R... 2012/07/21 19:07:17
    bricklyn
    That is very bad manners and you should still expect to pay for it. You were the one sho made the selection. Wine should only be sent back if it is bad.
  • C. C. R... bricklyn 2012/07/21 20:08:29
    C. C. Rider
    You are incorrect in saying that. ALL restaurants WILL take back a wine if you dislike it and not charge you even if you chose it.

It is the same with food. If you order a meal and it is not to your liking the restaurant will take it back, NOT CHARGE you and let you re order.

And YOUR manners are horrible in saying that to me. tsk tsk. HOW RUDE!!!!
  • bricklyn C. C. R... 2012/07/21 20:52:50
    bricklyn
    Only an extremely rude and ignorant person would even think about sending food or wine back simply because they do not like it.

Etiquette dictates that things are only sent back if they are poorly prepared or the quality if bad. That does not include it being suitable to your taste buds

42 Tips for Restaurant Dining Success

"Do not send food back unless there is something truly wrong with it: raw meat, spoiled food, etc."

http://www.businesstrainingwo...

"if you ordered it on your own, it may not be right to send back the bottle of wine that has been opened."

http://www.buzzle.com/article...
  • C. C. R... bricklyn 2012/07/21 20:59:35 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    LAMO what a rude pric you are. LOL Were you raised in a sewer? Please stick to fast food restaurants were I am sure they know you on a first name basis.

Now really dear, go back and read your book on how to respond to some one who does not want to hear from you anymore. LOL Etiquettee dictates Just don't. HOW RUDE lol lol
  • bricklyn C. C. R... 2012/07/22 02:09:42
    bricklyn
    You are the one who should stick to fast food restaurants. Apparently are are unable to read as well. I stated exactly what is part of basic etiquette as well.

People from the back 40 and the ghetto simply will never know how to act in public.
  • C. C. R... bricklyn 2012/07/22 17:47:50
  • rebecca... C. C. R... 2012/07/24 14:10:12
    rebeccasrevenge
    Poor Emily Post .she simply must be oscillating in her grave.
  • bricklyn bricklyn 2012/07/25 03:58:31
    bricklyn
    TRAILER TRASH IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE TRAILER TRASH EVEN WHEN THE DINE AT EXPENSIVE RESTAURANTS.

JUST SO YOU KNOW C.C.R, BLOCKERS WHO RANT AND BLOCK ARE COWARDS AS WELL.
  • rebecca... C. C. R... 2012/07/24 14:06:48
    rebeccasrevenge
    I don't like to .but I don't refuse to
  • joshua ben-ami 2012/07/20 15:42:32
    joshua ben-ami
    +1
    Sure that what the tasting is for to accept the bottle or not......
  • glen 2012/07/20 15:19:41
    glen
    If it's bad of course ! I don't drink cheap wine .
  • bricklyn glen 2012/07/21 19:07:41
    bricklyn
  • glen bricklyn 2012/07/24 13:28:03
    glen
    +1
    That's what i said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014/09/21 06:14:54