Would you quit your job if you were not happy in it?

DANNY_B0i♛ 2011/06/10 00:23:21
Related Topics: Vacation, Economy, Job
I'm having a dilemma..I've been hating my job for 6 months. They have worse management now when I go back from my vacation. I can't stand it anymore. I want to quit but I know the economy sucks. Plus I might move soon. Any suggestions?

• Raemay 2011/06/10 00:43:23
    Stay (Why)
    Raemay
    +3
    I have and regret my decession but I was treated poorly so was pissed at boss.

• Sa rah rah rah 2011/06/30 11:37:45
    Stay (Why)
    Sa rah rah rah
    1. another job won't make you happier honestly, there will be flaws at every job you do
    2. try to have an optimistic attitude because some ppl r completely suffering from economic depression...and you should be thankful you have a job; i no so many ppl who don't have a job...and they're tryin their best to find 1
    3. IF YOU REALLYYY REALLYY REALLY want to QUIT then....try to apply to many jobs and c how many will accept you and c if its really worth quitting cause sometimes you think that its easy to get a job, especially having a nice completed resume but then u realize at the end....its hard
    4. leave your situations & problems alll up to God; He loves you and He will surely guide you to what He wants YOU to do (you could do that by praying to him) -some ppl dont think it willl work but try it, it does workk
    5. Good Luck <333
  • sally 2011/06/17 01:09:24
    Quit
    sally
    Why bother? If I hate it I probably won't do any quality work, if I don't do quality work I'll get fired. Getting fired doesn't look good on a resume.
  • Mrz Winchester-Salvatore 2011/06/11 15:24:36
    Stay (Why)
    Mrz Winchester-Salvatore
    If it is that bad than leave, but look for other employment first. I've quit a job b/c I couldn't stand it so I understand. And it wasn't the job itself...it was the people...the same at my current job...I'm ready to go....again it's the people...
  • DANNY_B0i♛ Mrz Win... 2011/06/11 17:36:43
    DANNY_B0i♛
    Well I would have a job lined up but it's just emotionally tearing me apart.
  • Mrz Win... DANNY_B0i♛ 2011/06/11 21:57:02
    Mrz Winchester-Salvatore
    oh ok...yea it be that way sometimes
  • KATniss 2011/06/10 16:08:28
    Quit
    KATniss
    if i could.... money money money.... it's the only problem :S
  • NhytFahl 2011/06/10 13:58:08
    Quit
    NhytFahl
    Quitting your job may seem terrifying, and will certainly make your life more difficult in the short term.

Staying in a job you hate is almost guaranteed to cause serious long-term health issues.
  • TKramar 2011/06/10 12:04:51
    Quit
    TKramar
    I've quit lots of jobs, and never had a problem finding another one.

I just don't know if that would still hold true.
  • MW121 2011/06/10 12:02:30
    Quit
    MW121
    I think the main difference with many successful people is that what they do for work isn't considered a job. It's a career, it's a path of passion, to do what they want to do, be on a path that fullfills their intellect and it allows them to grow in the direction that they want to strive to... It allows one to wake up every morning ready to challenge the world.. I think this is the major difference with many people that are successful and those that just get by.. If you're not happy with what you are doing, you should have some type of direction in your mind of what you want to do.. then it may be easier to align yourself in that direction... Most success also comes with the ability to network, network with key people in the fields of interest, direction of interest, etc... Today, it's not all about what you know, if more about who you know or who you know that can lead you to your path... The jobs markets seem poor, but I can tell you there are so many high paying jobs out there that are available, but most people that are searching will never see them because they are usually never posted... I've always believed that if you're not happy, felt underpaid and overworked, you should just quit and figure out how you can get to a happier place... However, I would suggest figuring out your path and network stream before you quit.. Especially in today's markets...
  • Ramon 2011/06/10 10:25:34
    Quit
    Ramon
    If your thinking about moving anyway, this just gives you more reason to really look for another job. I wouldn't quit until I found another job though. Just increase you urgency to find another one.
  • ELLIE 2011/06/10 09:58:49
    Quit
    ELLIE
    +1
    Yep, I would and I did on a couple of occassions.I made sure I had another job lined up first.
  • Euphrosyne 2011/06/10 09:16:15
    Quit
    Euphrosyne
    +1
    Being in a job that I don't enjoy isn't good for my health and so I would quit and go out looking for something else.
  • chocolate-lover 2011/06/10 08:50:02
    Stay (Why)
    chocolate-lover
    +1
    i don't think i would if it's gonna make my life harder than it already is.
    if you really hate it that much, i think the best thing to do is to first look for a new job then quit, if that's possible...or at least have a good resume that gives you certainty of a new job
  • ~~Lady~With~Class~~ 2011/06/10 07:36:38
    Quit
    ~~Lady~With~Class~~
    I have done it before with no regrets.
  • Pustic 2011/06/10 06:29:18
    Quit
    Pustic
    I've done it before, more than once. :-)
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2011/06/10 06:18:45
    Stay (Why)
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    +1
    Find something to fall back on, so you can get into something else right away, and then quit.
  • Happy Face 2011/06/10 06:18:25
    Stay (Why)
    Happy Face
    +1
    Especially in today's economy. Have another job lined up before you quit, or if the circumstances arise in which you will have to quit (like moving) well then you don't really have a choice. Start job hunting in the area you will be living in though. You might be able to get employed in the new area faster because you'll have an idea of what is available and can jump right into interviews.
  • SunnyOne 2011/06/10 04:37:31
    Stay (Why)
    SunnyOne
    Unless you're suffering from health problems due to your job (in which case you should get a doctor's note so you can take a leave of absence), stay in your current position until you find another one.
  • Dr. Ingbert 2011/06/10 04:22:56
    Quit
    Dr. Ingbert
    I've done so several times.
    Stay (Why)
    +1
    In today's economy you find another job before quitting! Beside that it never looks good on a resume.
  • DANNY_B0i♛ wtw 2011/06/10 04:58:18
    DANNY_B0i♛
    +1
    well my excuse would be moving because that will be happening sooner than I realize.
  • Doodley Goddess 2011/06/10 02:58:44
    Stay (Why)
    Doodley Goddess
    then i wouldn't be able to pay for the things that i need
  • davidl 2011/06/10 02:08:44
    Stay (Why)
    davidl
    +1
    Use your vacation time to find another job. NEVER quit a job unless you have something lined up to replace it ... or you are so good that you can pick up a phone and call a company to tell them you are available, knowing they would jump at the opportunity to get you.
  • Acoja1 davidl 2011/06/10 02:13:42
    Acoja1
    Good thought
  • davidl Acoja1 2011/06/10 02:20:56
    davidl
    +2
    Also never say bad things about the current job. I'm an engineer by trade, and before I had my own company, would change jobs every 5 years or so, in order to keep up and be in a constant learning curve.

The point is that over the years former supervisors of mine have been customers, vendors, bosses, and in one case, have been MY employee. Never burn a bridge. Now if you are not in the technology biz, and are an accountant, then switching jobs is frowned upon. .. but if you are in the technology biz, then it is a given.
  • Acoja1 davidl 2011/06/10 02:40:06 (edited)
    Acoja1
    I agree with your statement..so true Thanks sharing
  • Eric ~ The Logician 2011/06/10 02:02:32
    Stay (Why)
    Eric ~ The Logician
    Give yourself a time frame. I think that's what I would do. I'd probably say I'll stick with this for 3 more months, if it doesn't get better in 2, I'm going to start looking for a new job. And that I'll quit by the 3 month period.
  • DANNY_B0i♛ Eric ~ ... 2011/06/10 03:04:44
    DANNY_B0i♛
    +2
    ive been in this job for almost a year. Keeps getting worse.
  • Acoja1 2011/06/10 01:34:22
    Stay (Why)
    Acoja1
    Reality Check

Quitting your job is the easy part. It’s the days, weeks and months following that are the real challenge. While you will have some of the most amazing moments of your life forging your own path, you will also have some of the most difficult, proving that working for yourself (or a new boss in your dream field) is not always a walk in the park. Know this before you quit – and embrace it!

Give yourself a reality check and ask if you are leaving because you’ve had a bad month or if you really feel you would thrive and be happier in a different gig. If things seem difficult and you believe it would be easier to do something you’re passionate about, know this: landing your dream job is harder than sticking with your current employment.

However, if you can come to terms with the little (and big) challenges that lie ahead – and be honest about the fact that your life is not instantly going to become more glamorous, fulfilled or easy – than I say start drafting your resignation letter and prepare for what will be an amazing experience!
  • DANNY_B0i♛ Acoja1 2011/06/10 03:05:12
    DANNY_B0i♛
    +2
    Its been over 6 months of a bad job. Plus I'm only 18.
  • Acoja1 DANNY_B0i♛ 2011/06/10 03:10:28
    Acoja1
    Hey, I totally understand ...it's not easy at all..;)
  • SunnyOne DANNY_B0i♛ 2011/06/10 05:03:10
    SunnyOne
    +1
    I know it's cliche, but hang in there!

I've been in the working world for over 30 years. Here are a few things I'd like to share with you:

You will have many, many jobs before you retire. Don't allow yourself to get too depressed over your current one; you WILL get a better one eventually.

At each job, you will probably be assigned some tasks that you will passionately despise. Complete those tasks to the best of your ability with a smile on your face, even if you have to grit your teeth while doing so.

At each job, you will make mistakes. Learn from them.

At each job, there will be at least one person whose function seems to be making life hell for everyone else. Deal with them as best as you can (although this can be especially difficult when said person is your boss).

At each job, there will be people who spend most of their time gossiping about others. Avoid them like the plague.

At each job, there will be older, experienced employees. Befriend the nice ones and let them mentor you.

Most important of all, don't put yummy food in the office fridge. It will disappear before lunchtime. :)
  • wtxwoman 2011/06/10 01:34:19
    Quit
    wtxwoman
    +2
    Life is too short to work at a job you hate. Find something better and, then, quit.
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/06/10 01:05:28
    Stay (Why)
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    Whether you think you job suck now or not quitting before you asbolutely have to will look bad on a resume later. Stay and save money while you can especially if you might move. The expense of starting everything up again can be a budget breaker.
  • van907 2011/06/10 00:58:19
    Stay (Why)
    van907
    I would stay until I had another job.
  • ★☆Ams★☆ 2011/06/10 00:57:13 (edited)
    Stay (Why)
    ★☆Ams★☆
    +1
    Stay until you have another job lined up. It might take you a lot longer to find a new one than you think.
  • kresge 2011/06/10 00:47:37
    Stay (Why)
    kresge
    +1
    Don't quit until you have another one to go to....

I'm assuming you need to eat and have bills to pay.
  • Raemay 2011/06/10 00:43:23
    Stay (Why)
    Raemay
    +3
  • munda 2011/06/10 00:36:24
    Quit
    munda
    +2
    there is more to life than work. Be sure to have another job lined up first, especially in this economy.
  • i<3conanthebarbarian 2011/06/10 00:36:03
    Stay (Why)
    i<3conanthebarbarian
    +1
    not with this bad economy

2014/10/24 16:24:26