Would you marry your rapist? The Bible says its a good idea!

Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~ 2009/06/20 06:02:04
I would marry my rapist, because it is Gods will.
I would marry my rapist because he was very well hung.
Well I'm a Christian and I think this quote is not valid... Only the things I want to be valid are valid.
Rapists need the most love.
This BS makes me proud to be an Atheist
Christians love to quote Bible, so I thought I will as well.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 (King James Version)

28If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

( If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her)

• TeeTee Metal(is a real girl) 2009/06/26 20:58:09
    This BS makes me proud to be an Atheist
    TeeTee Metal(is a real girl)
    +1
    I wouldn't say I'm an atheist, but I def don't agree with the shit in that book.
  • MechanicalWalrus 2009/06/26 17:20:36
    This BS makes me proud to be an Atheist
    MechanicalWalrus
    +1
    Is she sexy?
  • ty 2009/06/24 15:42:35
    Well I'm a Christian and I think this quote is not valid... Only the things I...
    ty
    you shouldnt be asking whether or not the quote is valid (as mari) suggests. I can appreciate your non acceptance of the Bible, as it is your choice, but before you post threads about "the bible says this...now what do you have to say about that", do some homework about the time and era in which said passages were written in. Before "Jesus" came to teach, people were in essence left to figure out things for themselves (like trial and error in science), since only a select few people actually spoke with God. So, maybe the people of that time figured that it was better to "buy" the woman he violated, and support her all his days as opposed to pretending it never happened and devestating a family (for generations). Since the arrival of Jesus on earth, you happen to read that "sin" is spelled out more explicitly and that many, if not all, of the 'old traditions' such as this passage here are clarified, thus making them "not valid". You should also remember they were left in the Bible because it is also a history of a people, and do not all cultures have a written history?
    Dont let "bible thumpers" like Mari discourage you from seeking what you believe is true. Thats the beauty of God, free will. Im not trying to argue any points, just joining a discussion.
  • Eric 'D... ty 2013/02/20 01:31:25
    Eric 'Doorag'Yantz
    +2
    So, what you are saying is that the god of the bible is not timeless or all knowing so he didn't have the capability to direct his human writers to write the bible to pertain to everyone at every time. Fair enough
  • ♥ Mariposita ♥ 2009/06/23 20:03:47
    ♥ Mariposita ♥
    +2
    well I'm a christian and i think this quote is not valid! (not the rest of what u wrote) i don't understand why it is that if you're an atheist you're reading the bible! what's the point! if you don't wanna believe or you don't want to follow then don't do it! but u should really try and stop making all these false comments! yeah i said false! u atheists always have a way to interpret something so wrongfully! if u guys are in denial then ok. but u should stop messing around with the bible, God's word. If you're not interested then don't read it! end of story. and by the way us christians aren't the people with our heads far up our.....! it's u and the rest of the people that think the way u do!
  • Anna ~I... ♥ Marip... 2009/06/23 20:15:16
    Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~
    +3
    You Christians always have a way to interpret Bible your way also.
    I'm interested because Christianity is controlling politics, and many other aspects of my life.
    Also people shove Bible in my face all the time!
    To not believe in something I have to learn about it first.
  • ♥ Marip... Anna ~I... 2009/06/23 20:23:27
    ♥ Mariposita ♥
    +1
    we don't interpret the bible our way. We interpret the bible the way it is. and how is christianity controlling many aspects of your life? and u think that by making fun of the bible or trying to make people feel stupid is going to make it go away? cause if you think that way then you got it wrong. Christianity is just a religion it doesn't control anyone, especially not an atheist like u.
  • Anna ~I... ♥ Marip... 2009/06/23 21:06:48
  • ♥ Marip... Anna ~I... 2009/06/23 22:07:48
    ♥ Mariposita ♥
    Why am i ignorant!? because i don't agree with the crap you're saying? if u ask me that's pretty ignorant of u to say. and that guy that u put up there in the video, i've watched his videos. He's ignorant too, and so is whoever believes all the crap he has to say.
  • Anna ~I... ♥ Marip... 2009/06/23 22:22:30
    Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~
    +1
    Do you agree that religion affects my life?
  • ♥ Marip... Anna ~I... 2009/06/24 14:11:09
    ♥ Mariposita ♥
    +2
    yup... you're right. and i apologize, i didn't know most of the things i saw on that video. but u know u still don't have to make fun of the bible.
  • Anna ~I... ♥ Marip... 2009/06/24 19:04:05
    Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~
    +3
    Thank you. I'm not making fun. This Bible fragment exists, and most translations say its about rape. I did the research on both- Christian and Atheist websites. I did that to show people that Bible is not valid, and they shouldnt use it as an argument against gay marriage, or any other subject.
    Have a nice day Mari
  • ♥ Marip... Anna ~I... 2009/06/24 19:07:40
    ♥ Mariposita ♥
    +2
    I understand, but u shouldn't try and put it down because other like myself believe in the bible. I understand why u would get upset at other "christians" that get in you're face because of your beliefs, but u gotta understand we're not all like that. Thank you, I hope you have a nice day too Anna.
  • Smokey ♥ Marip... 2009/06/23 22:12:26
    Smokey
    +3
    Mari,

Haven't you heard the old expression "you can get more flies with honey?" I'm a Christian, but I have to agree with what Anna is saying (not the things she said personally about you).

There are some people that call themselves Christians, but I don't see the love in their hearts.

For example, it nearly broke my heart when I saw two little girls wearing T-shirts that read: "God Hates Fags." - they claim to be Christians.

Eventhough I may disagree with Atheist or other people's personal views, I still care about them. At the end of the day, I feel that I could win people over by acting kind to them and treat them with respect too. The Bible teaches us to love everyone. Hey, it's easy to love someone that loves you back. But, try loving someone that really doesn't care about you as a person.

It's just a thought and my opinion.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Smokey
  • ♥ Marip... Smokey 2009/06/24 13:54:26
    ♥ Mariposita ♥
    +2
    Smokey,

Hi. You know what... you are absolutely right! I'm not that type of Christian though. I'm not the kind of Christian thats a.... fake Christian. I'm a very lovable person, and i get along with everyone. and yeah Anna is right, but it just gets to me how people try and put everything a different way, a way to make the bible and christians seem stupid. I know i need to control that. But thank you very much for your opinion i really appreciate it. =]
  • Smokey ♥ Marip... 2009/06/24 17:25:30
    Smokey
    +3
    Mari,

You're just fine, and trust me, I've said worse to other people in the past.

It also makes me angry (inside) when others mock my beliefs. However, I take a deep breath and just pray for them.

You see to be a very nice person!

Take care,

Smokey
  • ♥ Marip... Smokey 2009/06/24 18:33:51
    ♥ Mariposita ♥
    +2
    Thanks Smokey. =]
  • Tabs ♥ Marip... 2013/09/06 17:16:17
    Tabs
    When a "christian" or a group of them interpret the bible to mean an "idea" or context that they want/need it to be- its called religion. When an atheist or agnostic reads a passage and says exactly what is says- its making fun or twisting the word of god. Why? Because you as a christian are smarter than me as a non-christian? Because an atheist cant possibly know anything about the bible? Hate to break it to you all but majority of atheist/agnostics grew up with the bible. Many have studied more than 1 version and religion. Majority were thought of or thought themselves to be a christian at one point or another. Most atheist, agnostic, and non-believers have felt or known a kind of faith (being taught their whole life) but were one day hit with a "reality" stick or had a lightbulb turn on. Its usually from the massive amount of hypocrisy seen in every single church and religion. The hypocrisy in the bible. The bending of rules and "God's Word" to suit groups of people during different times/eras. See though we (majority of non-believers) dont want to make you be like us...we dont want to take your faith, or encourage you to go against everything and everyone you know and love. But you damn well better believe when you (majority of) christians use your God, your church, your ...
    When a "christian" or a group of them interpret the bible to mean an "idea" or context that they want/need it to be- its called religion. When an atheist or agnostic reads a passage and says exactly what is says- its making fun or twisting the word of god. Why? Because you as a christian are smarter than me as a non-christian? Because an atheist cant possibly know anything about the bible? Hate to break it to you all but majority of atheist/agnostics grew up with the bible. Many have studied more than 1 version and religion. Majority were thought of or thought themselves to be a christian at one point or another. Most atheist, agnostic, and non-believers have felt or known a kind of faith (being taught their whole life) but were one day hit with a "reality" stick or had a lightbulb turn on. Its usually from the massive amount of hypocrisy seen in every single church and religion. The hypocrisy in the bible. The bending of rules and "God's Word" to suit groups of people during different times/eras. See though we (majority of non-believers) dont want to make you be like us...we dont want to take your faith, or encourage you to go against everything and everyone you know and love. But you damn well better believe when you (majority of) christians use your God, your church, your bible, your rules, as fuel to fire in "witch hunts" of everything you dont agree with... We will try to show you why you make no sense. When you keep bringing god and church to the court as your go to excuse to legally hate, judge, and block other's rights and freedoms, we will step in and say you are a hypocrite. We will tell you theres no such thing as a logical christian.
  • Mechani... Smokey 2009/06/26 17:22:52
    MechanicalWalrus
    +1
    Kids these days. So aggressive.
  • janie.d... ♥ Marip... 2012/10/26 07:33:17
    janie.diaz.3
    +2
    I just thought I'd educate you on 1 thing. Most atheists are born into religion, which is where/when they study the bible. Once we realize its (in our beliefs) all bologna, that is when we become atheist, only after we look at all aspects of religion and god. We are educated in religion, moreso than most practicing theists. This has been a public service announcement.
  • Eric 'D... ♥ Marip... 2013/02/20 01:39:38
    Eric 'Doorag'Yantz
    +3
    Reading the bible is how one becomes Atheist. Once you realize the crazy stuff you are saying you believe in when you say 'I believe in the bible' you realize why sane people dont give this crap a second look. Examples of crazyiness in the bible: a talking snake, a talking donkey, stoning disobedient children to death, marrying your rapist, a man willing to kill his child due to a voice only he heard (today we call this schizophrenia), the list goes on and on.....
  • mel 2009/06/23 16:26:44
    mel
    +1
    I think they mean that if you have sex before marriage, then you have to get married.
  • turkey pepperoni 2009/06/22 17:20:13
    Rapists need the most love.
    turkey pepperoni
  • Anna ~I... turkey ... 2009/06/22 17:37:46
    Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~
    +2
    Lego Bible... I bet its a very trustworthy translation. NOT
  • turkey ... Anna ~I... 2009/06/22 17:50:13 (edited)
    turkey pepperoni
    +1
    it is. they do a pretty great job. really good use of blocks. they do a lot of 'illustrations' for each story. definitely worth a peek.
  • Anna ~I... turkey ... 2009/06/22 17:52:14 (edited)
    Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~
    +2
    Ok, if you think that Lego Bible for kids is trustworthy translation than good luck!
    Its for kids! Come on!
  • turkey ... Anna ~I... 2009/06/22 18:01:05
    turkey pepperoni
    +1
    it's funny? it's a joke? chill out plz.

i'm not holding it up as a serious representation of the book- they take a one-sided skeptical mocking view of the bible.

but the truth is- it's awesome- it's a satirical work of art in legos. i'm just saying anyone w/some familiarity of the bible, a sense of humor, and appreciation for legos might enjoy the site. i though i'd throw in the passage since they had the one referenced in your question. familiarity bible humor appreciation legos enjoy site throw passage referenced
  • Anna ~I... turkey ... 2009/06/22 18:10:26
    Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~
    +2
    Ok, thank you very much for posting it. I thought that you are using it as an argument in this discussion.
  • turkey ... Anna ~I... 2009/06/22 18:15:43
    turkey pepperoni
    +1
    it's for fun! i swear! (they do a great revelation....) fun swear revelation fun swear revelation
  • scotty 2009/06/22 15:42:10
    scotty
    +2
    it isn't clear that what is being talked about here is rape vs. sex outside marriage. i think the proper interpretation of this is "don't screw around with someone you don't plan to marry." that includes rape sadly, but i don't think that is the common case.

part of the root cause here is if a woman had sex then she is considered "damaged" goods. it might be difficult or impossible to marry her, and the dowry might be smaller. unmarried women were a burden to the family. so this rule is similar to "you break it, you buy it" that you see in the curio shops.

i don't know that this rule is particular to Judaism. it might have generally been the rule of the time.
  • Anna ~I... scotty 2009/06/22 17:40:31
    Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~
    +2
    My point of posting this poll is to show people that Bible is not valid, and that they should never use it as an argument in anything. Example- gay marriage.
  • ☠Twisted Beauty☠ 2009/06/22 09:58:38
    Rapists need the most love.
    ☠Twisted Beauty☠
    +3
    I love a rapist....that would be a happy marrige for me.
  • ĸaciε ♥ 2009/06/22 03:45:52
    ĸaciε ♥
    +1
    Usually when you're raped you're murdered too...
  • oh my science 2009/06/22 02:37:14
    This BS makes me proud to be an Atheist
    oh my science
    +4
    and they hate on atheists because we dont like sounding insane like them lol
  • God of all Creation Shal 2009/06/22 02:03:55
    This BS makes me proud to be an Atheist
    God of all Creation Shal
    +5
    Unlike the Biblical god, I have morals.
  • wtw 2009/06/22 01:12:49 (edited)
    +1
    You apperently believe in evolution. God was evolving in his treatment of man. In this period of time this law was about the best law for the prevention of rape because you would be stuck with a woman you may not want. They did not have jails or ways of punishment like today. If you treat the bible in today's terms of course you won't understand the bible. Woman were objects then. That was society at that time and God was evolving in his treatment of man as man was evolving in his reasoning and culture.
  • Anna ~I... wtw 2009/06/22 02:52:40 (edited)
    Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~
    +2
    Than why people still use a Bible as an example of morality?
  • wtw Anna ~I... 2009/06/23 02:03:38
    The real root of using the bible is the Old Testament 10 commandments which is very similiar to the Hammurbi(sp) code. NT morality should be based on 2 commandments only--that it-all rolled up into one. Love your neighbor as yourself and God above all else. Jesus said this is it! Christian that try to add to this are missing the point. People who understand that realize that Christianity has had a dearth of understanding. Jesus harshest most angry words was against religious leaders. This applies to today as well.
  • Anna ~I... wtw 2009/06/23 03:09:09
    Anna ~In My Bitches I Trust~
    +1
    Do you know that church changed 10 Commandments? Church dropped second commandment, and split 10th commandment in two.
  • Caity wtw 2009/06/22 03:18:50
    Caity
    +4
    God was evolving? That kinda shoots down the whole, "God is perfect" thing, doesn't it?

2014/11/23 20:07:16