Would You Leave A Friend To Die?

SodaHead Living 2010/06/03 13:21:43
Yes, if I did everything I could, and now I was in danger of dying, I'd leave.
No, I'd risk my life to save my friend's life.
I think ...
Climbing Mount Everest is still deadly fifty-seven years after Sherpa Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hilary first made a successful ascent and return from the world's highest peak. The latest victim of the mountain was 28-year-old Peter Kinloch, a British adventurer left to die 800 feet down from the summit of Everest as his party attempted to return to base camp.

Kinloch was an experienced mountaineer attempting to pass the 'Seven Summit Challenge', an achievement managed by only a few mountaineers who have climbed the tallest mountains on all seven continents. Everest was the fifth summit for Kinloch, and unfortunately, his last.

At the peak of Everest he was 'elated, cheerful and bubbly', a team member reported. However, 600 ft into the descent from the peak of Everest, Kinloch began to complain that he could not see and began to stumble. Shortly after noting his symptoms, Kinloch revealed that bouts of blindness were not uncommon for him and that he was not suffering from snow blindness.

His team did their best to aid him, and three sherpas climbed up from a camp below in order to help Kinloch. Oxygen and steroids were given to help treat altitude sickness, however after spending half a day helping Peter and managing to descend only 200 feet, the decision was made to leave Kinloch to his fate before the entire team died trying to save him. Colleagues reported that 'the rescue team did everything in their power to help Peter for about 12 hours coming dangerously close to needing their
own rescue and not returning themselves.'

Due to the difficulty and extreme danger in attempting recovery, Peter's body seems fated to join the many bodies of lost and abandoned mountaineers locked in Everest's snows.

• Cymech Dragon 2010/06/03 21:33:52
    Cymech Dragon
    +2
    Anyone that goes mountain climbing must know the risks.

• Twitch 2010/07/08 16:07:09
    Twitch
    I dont give up on anything so I
  • WhoaIt'sSarah. 2010/06/16 22:29:35
    I think ...
    WhoaIt'sSarah.
    I don't think I could do it. But I'd have to be up there, with it all happening, to know.
  • jimiwhitten 2010/06/07 17:15:29
    jimiwhitten
    All die or one die. Tough, but if that is the reality - my answer is to let one die.
  • Beckie 'killjoy' 2010/06/05 23:08:25
    Beckie 'killjoy'
    my freinds are the best thing in my life i would do anything for them!!
  • ♥♫Kryzten♥♫ 2010/06/04 17:26:41
    ♥♫Kryzten♥♫
    my best friend means EVERYTHING to me. i would definitley risk my life risk life save friends life friend definitley risk life
  • Nabael 2010/06/04 05:50:42
    Nabael
    Case and point:
    I will fight as hard as I can for someone and possibly even give my life, unless I know it was nearly impossible to save them and I would simply be wasting mine in vain.
  • StopDecomp 2010/06/04 04:00:59
    StopDecomp
    There is no reason for both of us to die. I'm not even sure how long I would try to help in an extreme situation. Survival of the fittest (and most selfish).
  • Royal Warrior 2010/06/04 00:54:52
    I think ...
    Royal Warrior
    Until I was in that postion myself, I am not sure what I would do. I hope I'd keep on helping a friend, however, at that point? Still not sure.
  • <3V-Tiger<3 2010/06/04 00:51:19
    <3V-Tiger<3
    I couldnt bare to leave my friend alone... I would never leave him/her to die.. That would basically be killing my self also
  • amaanii 2010/06/04 00:10:22
    amaanii
    one life lost is better than two!
  • ♥theMJLegacy96♥ 2010/06/03 23:08:56 (edited)
    I think ...
    ♥theMJLegacy96♥
    +1
    If you're gonna try to climb that big ass mountain, then you must know that you're more than likely gonna die.
  • JackSchitt 2010/06/03 22:06:14
    I think ...
    JackSchitt
    Before I had a wife and kids, I would like to think I would stay and risk death to save a friend.

Now that people depend on me, I would have to go and leave them there......hell, come to think of it....now that people depend on me, I wouldn't even go NEAR the thing.
  • Werewolfgirl1995 2010/06/03 21:45:27 (edited)
    Werewolfgirl1995
    I'd make that choice every time
  • Cymech Dragon 2010/06/03 21:33:52
    Cymech Dragon
    +2
  • Freezing-in-Michigan 2010/06/03 20:16:08
    Freezing-in-Michigan
    If I do not take care of myself, who will!
  • Nancy 2010/06/03 20:06:39
    Nancy
    +1
    Read Hula Girl's response. I have read the book "Into Thin Air" and one has to read that book before making a judgement! High altitude is like nothing else. The conditions are unreal compaired to lower areas. I lived in Breckenridge, Colo. and main street is 9,600 all else is UP. In teaching skiing there I use to have to get the ski patrol, from time to time, to take someone down lower and get more water (you dehidrate much quicker). Not all people are bothered by the elevation but they know it exists. Interestingly, you can not be bothered by it one time but the next you will. This guy should never have gone with such a handicap. He risked the others and gave up his life over it. The Mountain is very, very, very unforgiving!
  • ☺♥Delaney♥☺ 2010/06/03 20:03:51
    ☺♥Delaney♥☺
    Only if it was a really good friend. And I mean the best friend you would give your boyfriend up for. Like it has to be SUPER DIRE EMERGENCY! Because I love living. If it was a friend that my life would be pointless without, oh yeah, I would risk my life!
    But just remember it had to be the worst case scenario.
  • ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana P... 2010/06/03 19:57:44
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    If I die saving my friend...so be it. I couldnt live with myself knowing I let a friend die.
  • kobidob... ♥ Emily... 2010/06/03 21:01:24
    kobidobidog
    Your love is the greatest of anyone. For the bible says if You loss your life for my sake you shall keep it, and if you save your life you will loss it.
  • ♥ Emily... kobidob... 2010/06/04 02:56:32
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    Um...I dont understand.
  • kobidob... ♥ Emily... 2010/08/16 04:10:29 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    When Jesus was on a high place, and Satan wanted him to jump off, had jesus done that he would have lost his life. God would have died that day, but because he died for us he kept his life ,and had he saved his life by coming down from the cross like humans taunted him to do Christ would have become mortal, and died like any of us. does this help?
  • Lanikai 2010/06/03 19:12:25
    I think ...
    +2
    I have no idea how I would react until I was in that situation.
  • DEMONN NINNJA 2010/06/03 19:09:47
    DEMONN NINNJA
    +1
    Never leave a comrade behind. Ever.
  • Angel in black~Disturbed Go... 2010/06/03 19:06:42
    Angel in black~Disturbed Goddess
    No, if they wouldn't bring him down and lay there and die with him so he wouldn't have to go alone.
  • coffee man 2010/06/03 19:04:52
    I think ...
    coffee man
    yep
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2010/06/03 18:56:27 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    Everest is different than being at sea level where you can think. Not only is it hard on your body but it just socks all the strength out of you and makes it hard to even think. Then compound that with the cold and it's life threatening.

It's like drowning where the person keeps struggling and is going to pull you under too and you are both going to die. I've been to high altitude and I've also been to Everest. I have several friends that have climbed and I am very close with a Sherpa friend that takes tours and climbs to Everest. His dad was the head man of the last village before hitting base camp and that's where my friend Ang grew up. My friend knew Tenzing, had met Hilary and is close friends with many famous Sherpa's and some are his family.

I'm in touch with Nepal all the time as I now make Jewelry using materials from Nepal. I was there helping build a hospital and our hospital was at the exact spot that Hillary and Tenzing started their route for their climb and is marked with that location right outside the hospitals gate.

The Sherpa's are experts...they know the mountain, they grew up knowing that mountain and they will fight to save a life but also know when there is no more help and can't get someone off the mountain.

I'll leave it to the experts to make the decis...

I'll leave it to the experts to make the decisions and they made them.

Everyone knows the risks and know the death rate on Everest and they still risk their life. This guy knew of his sometimes blindness yet told no one....big mistake as he would never have been allowed to go, that tells you right up front he knew the risks.

rate everest risk life guy blindness told mistake allowed risks
  • Royal W... Hula gi... 2010/06/04 00:59:49
    Royal Warrior
    +1
    I do think he was extremely selfish to join the team, without informing them of his sporadic disability. Yeah, I am fairly sure it would have barred him from even attempting, but then he wouldn't have lost his life and risked the lives of quite a few others and left them with anguish and anger and sorrow that cannot be simply talked out.
    Stupid, selfish and unkind in to the bargain.
  • Radical 1s1am1st 2010/06/03 18:39:56
    Radical 1s1am1st
    +1
    Never leave a person behind, never. It is an old fashion value but it is a value that has to be there because of who you are, not what you say you are. Those who know what I am talking about have faced death before and have let go of their connection to life in order to complete the mission or task. That is the best way I can put it and I don't know of a better way to say it. No one gets left behind.
  • Royal W... Radical... 2010/06/04 01:05:34
    Royal Warrior
    Another old-fashioned value is honesty. Honesty differs from truth in that it is about HOW you handle the truth you know. This man KNEW he had bouts of blindness. Any sporadic disability is twice as apt to hit you HARD at higher altitudes. Yet, he never disclosed his sporadic blindness to his team mates, until his life and theirs were in danger. That was extremely dishones and unkind and stupid.
    I'm not saying leave someone behind, but it does make me think about Kinloch in a very different manner. When reading or hearing his name from now on, I will immediatly think "Selfish boor! Oaf who cared all about his own adventure and nothing about the safety of his friends."
  • Radical... Royal W... 2010/06/04 15:46:30
    Radical 1s1am1st
    We will have to agree to disagree on this point. It is like trying to slice a pea in to 1000 slices. You become so focused on the task it becomes all that matters. The oil spill in the Gulf is a perfect example.
  • Royal W... Radical... 2010/06/04 23:20:55
    Royal Warrior
    I wasn't disagreeing with your statement. I simply believe there is more to be considered. I felt your statement lacked demensions that were involved in the team's decision.
    I do feel there are some missions or tasks that are so important that letting go of their connection to life, to complete the task is imperative. I do feel that in some cases, this idea is not the first consideration.
    I do feel that what I hope I would do and what I actually do, might be two different things.
    I hope I would continue trying to save my team-mate's life, but all things considered, I haven't been in that situation and I might have different considerations were I there.
  • Jayce Evans 2010/06/03 17:46:34
    Jayce Evans
    i'd have dragged him down with me. i don't care how difficult it would be. i wouldn't leave my friend there to die. i'd strap him to my back and continue on down. i don't care if it would take longer. and don't give me that "well you'd run out of food!" nonsense because when you are preparing to enter dangerous territory, you ALWAYS pack extra food/supplies if possible.
  • Hula gi... Jayce E... 2010/06/03 18:57:16
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    It's not at sea level, Everest isn't anything like normal.
  • Jayce E... Hula gi... 2010/06/03 19:04:46
    Jayce Evans
    yah i know that...
    everest isn't a bunny hill. only experienced climbers should attempt climbing it.
    so if i were in this position, i would be an experienced climber and would have packed a bit extra... just in case.
  • Hula gi... Jayce E... 2010/06/03 19:10:09
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    You can't. You can't pack extra...Sherpa's already are carrying the extra and it's not extra it's life sustaining...and they worked on him for 10 hours...they carried extra.
  • Nancy Hula gi... 2010/06/03 20:10:30
    Nancy
    +1
    Hula girl is correct.... the book "Into Thin Air" is a compelling read and amaising.
  • Jayce E... Hula gi... 2010/06/03 21:51:46
    Jayce Evans
    well in that case i would probably never climb everest. i always pack extra. if i can't, it'd be a tough sell to get me to go.
  • Hula gi... Jayce E... 2010/06/03 21:59:39
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    You can't back extra you'd never make it up part way. It's bad enough at base camp. That's why there are Sherpas because you couldn't possibly make it with your own gear in the time frame.
  • Jayce E... Hula gi... 2010/06/03 22:53:49
    Jayce Evans
    which is why i said i'd probably never climb it.
  • Nancy Hula gi... 2010/06/03 19:56:39
    Nancy
    +2
    Correct, at the summit you have the mind of about a 3 yr old, from what I understand, unless you have oxigen.

2014/04/18 21:02:52