Would you intervene if you saw a gay teen pressured into "reparative therapy" meant to change his sexual orientation?

ABCnews.com 2012/02/10 01:29:23

• Kigan 2012/02/12 22:25:52
    Yes. There's nothing wrong with being gay.
    Kigan
    +5
    This crap is actually dangerous. It doesn't "fix" anything because there is nothing to fix, but it can do great damage psychologically. No one has any right to force someone gay into this therapy, be it by physical force or by trying to talk them into it.

You can't pray it away.
    You can't wish it away.
    You can't force someone into phony therapy to make it go away.

You are born gay. There is nothing wrong with it.

There IS something wrong with people that are willing to force gay people into this kind of therapy just because they can't come to terms with the idea that there is nothing wrong with being gay. That's their issue, and perhaps they need therapy, not the person who is gay.

• gvc Joanie 2012/02/13 02:30:02
    gvc
    uh huh...I can tell. I didn't compare YOU to anybody. I think you protest too much. I love how all gay people think everyone is a closet gay person, you're way off base HONEY....the thought of being with another woman disgust me in every way. I apply my statement to myself every day, maybe you should give it a try. Good luck, glad your happy, (if indeed you are) but know you were not born that way....YOU CHOSE IT.
  • Joanie gvc 2012/02/13 02:33:20
    Joanie
    The choices I had were between being a self-hating gay person, which you are acting like, and a happy, well-adjusted gay person. I chose the latter. I am sorry for you.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/13 02:34:48
    gvc
    And I am sorry for you.
  • Joanie gvc 2012/02/13 02:53:07
    Joanie
    Well, there you go.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/13 02:58:32
    gvc
    You're a disturbed individual. Sounds too me like you would benefit from some counseling for your persecution complex. Forget your sexual preference, you have bigger fish to fry.
  • Joanie gvc 2012/02/13 03:06:53
    Joanie
    Gina, you are the sick individual who needs help. I will pray that you receive the therapy and counseling that you appear to need. Good luck to you.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/13 03:12:18
    gvc
    You also have a horrible habit of repeating everything you hear, might want to have that looked at while you are there. Explains a lot though 0.o
  • Joanie gvc 2012/02/13 14:35:06 (edited)
    Joanie
    +1
    Poor, poor Gina. So much anger and hate in such a young person. It's sad.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/13 16:20:19
    gvc
    Nobody hates you, Joanie, get over your persecution complex.
    Own who you are and stop trying to convince others you were born that way. You weren't.
    I think it's ironic that gays have a gay pride parade, when they are NOT proud of their choices, if they were they would not have to blame their choices on biology. You are free to be whoever you want to be, and I support your right to do just that, but I will never support the lie.
  • Joanie gvc 2012/02/13 16:35:06
    Joanie
    +1
    You are as phony as a three-dollar bill, Gina. You sit in front of your computer comparing LGBT people to murderers and thieves, and when they take issue with your absurd positions, you tell them they have persecution complexes. You lecture other people, about whom you know almost nothing, about "their" "choices", "their" "feelings", etc., and you appear to know very little about your own "choices" and "feelings". You are a prototype of what used to be called a "Know Nothing", but which now goes by the name "Tea Party Member". I seriously doubt that I will bother replying to your next, but take your best shot. I don't block other people, and, if my instincts are correct, you will feel that you have to get in the last word.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/13 16:48:16
    gvc
    I'm phoney, hahaha that's rich coming from the man/woman lesbian.
    Open your Bible, God also compares the two.
    Stop trying to make your issues mine.
    Hahaha I think it's a hoot that everyone that disagrees with you people is a tea party member. Still validating I see. Just go away Johnny, you bore me.
    It has been my experience that gays are the ones that always want the last word...guess we will see.
  • genetic... gvc 2012/02/13 18:58:13
    geneticmistake
    John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Luke 6:28 "Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."

Then god murdered most of the people of Sodom and Gomorrah. Enjoy your hypocritical storybook.
  • gvc genetic... 2012/02/13 19:35:47
    gvc
    I don't expect you to understand God or his ways. You would have to have the spirit of God to even begin.
    That said, who are YOU to tell God who he allows to live and who dies?
  • genetic... gvc 2012/02/13 19:48:52
    geneticmistake
    Uh, supposedly those are god's words. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah indicates your god is a hypocrite. Imo god killed no one. It doesn't exist.
  • gvc genetic... 2012/02/13 19:50:41
    gvc
    No, it indicates HE is GOD. And only he has the right to take life. Does it trouble you that he destroyed the people of Sodom and Gomorrah because they would not turn from the wickedness?
  • gvc genetic... 2012/02/13 19:57:17
    gvc
    Furthermore, don't attempt to quote from the Bible and draw comparisons, when admittedly you do not even believe in God or the Bible.
  • genetic... gvc 2012/02/13 23:26:18
    geneticmistake
    That's due to 12 years of catholic school. The bible is so ambiguous. We could sit here all day quoting bible passages. I could post one supporting my view and you could find another refuting my point. Vice versa, on and on.

An example appears here (also in another reply).
    http://www.wouldjesusdiscrimi...
    You can find bible passages that contradict this. Humans wrote the bible from their viewpoint. It's a storybook.
  • gvc genetic... 2012/02/14 00:58:49
    gvc
    No the Bible is NOT a story book. Men of faith wrote the Bible as they were moved by the Spirit of God.
  • genetic... gvc 2012/02/13 18:39:13 (edited)
    geneticmistake
    +1
    You must really hate yourself considering the female body disgusts you so much.
  • gvc genetic... 2012/02/13 19:36:49
    gvc
    The female body does not disgust me. Having sex with another female disgust me. Stop trying to twist my words.
  • Rhi-ot. Joanie 2012/02/13 23:46:25
    Rhi-ot.
    +2
    I think she's the one who's uncomfortable with her sexuality, she feels the need to comment on EVERYONE'S comments on this subject that she doesn't agree with!
  • Joanie Rhi-ot. 2012/02/14 00:25:57 (edited)
    Joanie
    +1
    When people say that sexual orientation is a choice, and that they are choosing not to enter into a same sex sexual relationship, it indicates to me that those people would be able to experience sexual excitement in a same sex sexual relationship, but that they choose not to do so because of religious training, beliefs, etc. (See Rev. Haggard, Eddie Long, etc.) If people say sexual orientation is not a choice because they do not experience same sex sexual attraction, that is a different matter. There is a disconnect in a person's opinions if he or she says that he or she does not experience same sex sexual attraction or excitement, but he or she insists that sexual orientation is a matter of choice. Of course, I don't know the specifics relating to this particular person, nor am I making any representation as to her.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/14 01:15:23 (edited)
    gvc
    Hahahahah And here you are. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist.

Pedophiles get sexual excitement from children, Is that ok with you? I mean if we are going to stay on sex, surely they were born that way, and have NO control over their choices.

You refuse to take responsibility for your own choices don't you. You're determined to fit everyone into your sexual box.
    Nothing you said makes even the slightest bit of sense. But to understand you I would have to view life like you wouldn't I? Be content to blame something or someone for my choices. Did you bone up on your why I'm gay studies?
    Do you have NO moral compass, has your heart become so dark that you can no longer discern between right and wrong, and must you act on every compulsion? Is life all about SEX for you? Is there nothing more important?

Stop trying to validate why you are who you are, you are failing miserably.
  • Joanie gvc 2012/02/14 03:02:49
    Joanie
    I wasn't talking to you.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/14 03:05:06
    gvc
    Oh well pardon me.
  • gvc Rhi-ot. 2012/02/14 01:01:39
    gvc
    I was responding to somebody that responded to my post.
    Apparently you are the only one who can give an opinion.
    Isn't what this site is all about?
    You don't like my opinion, cool. But don't get your knickers in a twist when people disagree with you.
    And don't jump in if you don't want people to respond.
  • Rhi-ot. gvc 2012/02/14 01:29:58
    Rhi-ot.
    +1
    I swear I saw you respond on several people's things- although she did respond on your comment first, it really stood out to me the harsh things you were saying to her...
  • gvc Rhi-ot. 2012/02/14 01:36:02
    gvc
    Why are they harsh? Because they don't fall in line with your viewpoints. I am new to this site, but I sense if you can't take it don't dish it out. You are not on a site that only wants your viewpoint so be prepared to hear others.
  • Awwmand... Joanie 2012/02/18 20:59:49
    Awwmandawashere
    +1
    I applaud you for being so brave and posting this. Gina is very ignorant & I have even tried to talk to her but she is just a homophobe. I believe that everyone was put on this earth for a reason and that god made no mistakes. You were born the way you are and no amount of "therapy" can change that. So if you decided you don't want to be black you can just pray it away? Joanie don't listen to Gina she obviously is too hard headed to listen to other people's views.
  • Joanie Awwmand... 2012/02/18 22:57:14
    Joanie
    +1
    Thank you.
  • Awwmand... Joanie 2012/02/18 23:03:41
    Awwmandawashere
    +1
    No need to thank me, I should be thanking you for standing up for what you believe.
  • gvc Awwmand... 2012/02/19 01:58:56
    gvc
    Homophobe assumes that I fear gay people....ummm NOT AT ALL.

A 57 year old man does not need the approval of a 17 year old child, or at least most men of this age wouldn't.

I have listened to your views, and I categorically disagree, that child is my prerogative.

You think everyone should accept without question YOUR VIEWS, and you seek to discredit those who disagree by calling them names and belittling them.
    Talk about a bigot, I think your picture is in the dictionary alongside the definition. Typical liberal tactic to silence opposition when they know they have lost the fight.

Your brother is gay...I get it. You love him, got that too! But that in and of itself does not mean that people are born gay.

If you don't like my opinion and facts little one, keep moving. And stop talking trash about me, you seem obsessed.
  • Rhi-ot. 2012/02/12 15:13:48
    Rhi-ot.
    +1
    I'm sorry but that counselling doesn't work. You're born gay- it's encoded in your genes. Jesus can't save you from being gay- because Jesus doesn't care if you are gay.
  • gvc Rhi-ot. 2012/02/12 22:41:05
    gvc
    +8
    Nonsense. Where is your proof? There is NO gay gene.
  • Rhi-ot. gvc 2012/02/12 23:46:01
    Rhi-ot.
    +1
    Considering most of my science teachers through the years have said that it's believed to be in the genes, I simply googled it to find some proof for you:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/edu...

While you're at it, why dont you take a look at this:
    http://www.news-medical.net/n...
    It's basically saying homosexuality is not only found in humans but also in MANY animal species. Often people think being gay is because of being abused or parental issues, but I'm more than positive that those things don't come into account with animals.
  • gvc Rhi-ot. 2012/02/13 01:00:54
    gvc
    +7
    Please, show me proof not driven by the Gay community. If I am looking to validate my choices, I can just as easily provide you "proof" that I was born that way and not responsible for my own choices. Furthermore, because a science teacher tells you that you are born gay in no way makes it true. It was not so long ago the greatest scientific minds thought the world was flat. Having a uncle that is an actual rocket scientist, I defer to his opinion....Scientist are more often wrong, rather than right. Keep trying.
  • Rhi-ot. gvc 2012/02/13 01:25:53
    Rhi-ot.
    +1
    I'm not going to keep trying to convince you, there is no convincing people in subjects like this. I'm going to continue to believe that people can be born this way because of the evidence I gave you up there, and just the fact that I know I didn't choose my sexual orientation- it was just there. If I tried to choose to be gay, it wouldn't happen. Sure, I could try being with a girl... but a girl will never give me those butterflies that I get from a guy. If a girl is getting those butterflies from a girl, that's biological to me. Either way. whether you choose to be gay or not, I don't see why it's something that needs to be fixed.
  • gvc Rhi-ot. 2012/02/13 01:43:06
    gvc
    Well that's unfortunate for you then isn't it. But you are right, you will never convince me that anyone is born gay. Your so called evidence was actually NO EVIDENCE at all.
    My point is, if someone wants to fix it, they have the right to do so, without the gay community and it's supporters discouraging them, anyone who does not feel that they need to be fixed also has the right to stay just as they are, with this caveat, stop trying to convince people you are born that way.
  • Rhi-ot. gvc 2012/02/13 01:54:18
  • LizBeil... gvc 2012/02/14 04:36:20
    LizBeilschmictTheAWESOME
    +2
    I just wanna say that homosexuality is found in over 400 species of animal and homophobia is only found in ONE! people like you who judge people one aspect of their life are no different than Hitler!

2014/07/29 14:57:05