Would you intervene if you saw a gay teen pressured into "reparative therapy" meant to change his sexual orientation?

ABCnews.com 2012/02/10 01:29:23

• Kigan 2012/02/12 22:25:52
    Yes. There's nothing wrong with being gay.
    Kigan
    +5
    This crap is actually dangerous. It doesn't "fix" anything because there is nothing to fix, but it can do great damage psychologically. No one has any right to force someone gay into this therapy, be it by physical force or by trying to talk them into it.

You can't pray it away.
    You can't wish it away.
    You can't force someone into phony therapy to make it go away.

You are born gay. There is nothing wrong with it.

There IS something wrong with people that are willing to force gay people into this kind of therapy just because they can't come to terms with the idea that there is nothing wrong with being gay. That's their issue, and perhaps they need therapy, not the person who is gay.

• Brandi Angela 2012/04/09 02:51:34
    Brandi Angela
    Yes, the therapist doing these sessions would lose their license if the APA knew what they were doing. Homosexuality is not a mental disorder and has not been listed as a mental disorder in the DSM for quite a while now. Reparative therapy does not work. All it does is push individuals back into the closet and make their lives a living hell. It will cause depression and in some cases will cause that person to commit suicide. If I heard someone say that they were in this kind of therapy I would ask for the therapists name and call the APA that minute. If it was a church official that was doing this I'm not exactly sure how I could get them to stop harming people but I would tell the person to stop going. If it was a teenager I would tell them about the it gets better project and the Trevor project and encourage them to leave if their parents were harming them whether it was emotional or physical. Stay with a friend or a family member who is okay with who you are. This is why I think gay teens need to be careful about coming out. It may suck being in the closet but you have to evaluate the situation. Is it safe for you to come out? If it isn't safe to come out, don't, not unless you have somewhere to go if things get bad. If you aren't sure test the waters a bit maybe bring up ...
    Yes, the therapist doing these sessions would lose their license if the APA knew what they were doing. Homosexuality is not a mental disorder and has not been listed as a mental disorder in the DSM for quite a while now. Reparative therapy does not work. All it does is push individuals back into the closet and make their lives a living hell. It will cause depression and in some cases will cause that person to commit suicide. If I heard someone say that they were in this kind of therapy I would ask for the therapists name and call the APA that minute. If it was a church official that was doing this I'm not exactly sure how I could get them to stop harming people but I would tell the person to stop going. If it was a teenager I would tell them about the it gets better project and the Trevor project and encourage them to leave if their parents were harming them whether it was emotional or physical. Stay with a friend or a family member who is okay with who you are. This is why I think gay teens need to be careful about coming out. It may suck being in the closet but you have to evaluate the situation. Is it safe for you to come out? If it isn't safe to come out, don't, not unless you have somewhere to go if things get bad. If you aren't sure test the waters a bit maybe bring up your support of marriage equality and see what they say. Staying in the closet isn't good but sometime it is necessary to stay in the closet, at least to your family until you are in college where you aren't so dependent on them. If someone in my family was young and their parents were forcing this on them I would give that family member a piece of my mind and tell my gay family member they could move in with me.
  • Nikki 2012/02/19 06:26:38
    Nikki
    I think that next time they do topics that relate to gay issues with youths, that they should include lesbians. It just seems like every time they do this that it's always about a gay guy/man.
  • Meghan 2012/02/15 00:31:27
    Meghan
    I would definately do something. I would have gotten much more into it than what some of the the others did, being a teen bisexual female myself. I understand people have a way they live, and most choose to be in a heterosexual relationship. But just because you are hetero because of religion or whatever does not mean you can shove that down other peoples throats. Sexuality, weather you are born with it or choose, is a persons personal buisiness. You don't go up to strangers and tell them how to walk, talk, or brush their teeth. Just like a homosexual or bisexual person wont tell you that you should be in a same sex relationship. And most importantly, it is very tramatizing to hove someone tell you your going to hell because of your relationships. It ruins lives, just look at all those poor teenagers commiting suicide because they think no one cares about them, and they can't change how they feel about people. Love is love. It wil always be a thing you cannot change so just move on in life. And I think I speak for everyone who feels the same way as this 16 year old- all flames directed at us are for marshmellos so we and our lovers can get cozy. ;)
  • gvc Meghan 2012/02/15 02:51:19
    gvc
    Girl you are straight up trippin.
  • Awwmand... gvc 2012/02/18 20:49:56
    Awwmandawashere
    Do you ever shut up? this is HER opinion don't go and tell her that she's "trippin" because of what she believes. If you don't like it then don't say anything at all.
  • gvc Awwmand... 2012/02/19 01:29:11
    gvc
    Do you? I will say anything I like you pathetic puke. If you don't like it, keep on moving. Twit!
  • gvc gvc 2012/02/20 01:04:15 (edited)
    gvc
    You Awwwmanda are the pathetic little teenager who thinks she knows all and can censor anybody she does not agree with. Respect is earned, and you have not even began to earn anything from me but disrespect. You are an ego maniac, who believes only her warped world view matters. You're laughable, and pathetic, be gone.
  • gvc gvc 2012/02/20 02:29:46
    gvc
    I think you are a typical teenage brat. And little more. I have not tried to change your opinion, because as I said before, in the grand scheme of life, what you think and your opinion means little.
    You just can't seem to resist stalking and commenting on my post, you truly are obsessed and need to seek help.
    I have blocked you, until you get over your weird desire to follow me. You creep me out, you little freak!
  • Awwmand... gvc 2012/02/20 04:52:28
    Awwmandawashere
    Lol I creep you out? You creep me out! I don't stalk and why do you reply to my comments? I have no desire to be like you so why would I stalk you?? Okay whatever you say I'm a typical teenage brat oh you certainly do know how to hurt my feelings! I really do hope that you seek help because it is sad that you think that it is necessary to pick on a teenager when how old are you? Probably have no boyfriend or husband because your sick twisted views and probably will be lonely for quite some time. I love that you blocked me thank you I think you did the world an favor! Your disgusting & I only reply back because unlike you I have a brain and I like to use it for good not for my only sick desires. Gina get som help calling me names won't save you from god or anyone for that matter. BYE!!!
  • gvc Awwmand... 2012/02/20 04:55:58
    gvc
    Buh-bye, hopefully forever.
  • Awwmand... gvc 2012/02/20 04:57:48
    Awwmandawashere
    Buh-bye, hopefully forever.
  • Awwmand... gvc 2012/02/20 04:55:54
    Awwmandawashere
    I just love replying to Gina becasue I LOVE TO STALK HER!!! :) Yeah Gina keep dreaming who's an ego maniac now?? Your a loser and I feel very sorry for you. Get help!
  • gvc Awwmand... 2012/02/20 04:57:26
    gvc
    Yet here you are AGAIN. PLEASE GET HELP!
  • Awwmand... gvc 2012/02/20 04:58:19
    Awwmandawashere
  • gvc Awwmand... 2012/02/20 04:59:37
    gvc
    OK TROLL BACK TO THE BLOCKED LIST RESERVED FOR THE TRULY INSANE....CYA!
  • Awwmand... Awwmand... 2012/02/20 05:01:13
    Awwmandawashere
    Bye Gina I won't miss you!!! Nasty troll :)
  • Awwmand... Awwmand... 2012/02/20 05:07:07
    Awwmandawashere
    Why was I ever off your block list anyways? Who is the real stalker sounds like you and then you say I'm pathetic yet you keep replying. Grow up and get help you think your tough picking on a teenager yet not once have you said your age? probably too embarrassing for you right? LOSER TROLL! I win :)
  • Awwmand... Awwmand... 2012/02/19 16:39:10
    Awwmandawashere
    Gina the only pathetic one here is you so why don't you just stop trying and just leave. NO ONE WANTS YOUR OPINION!! Just like I CAN SAY WHATEVER I WANT if I want to so you can too KEEP MOVING. Learn to respect people before you try to make others respect you. God would be ashamed to hear all the nasty rude comments you say to people. I hope one day you get help.
  • Awwmand... Awwmand... 2012/02/20 01:40:57
    Awwmandawashere
    LMAO I'm an ego maniac YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!!! just because I believe in something that you don't because your sick and twisted doesn't make me an ego maniac my ego has nothing to do with this subject. Just because I'm defending what I believe doesn't make me an ego maniac. I'm pathetic look at you attacking a teenager and how old are you?? maybe you should grow up and be AN ADULT that you clearly try to act like you know something about I don't have to go anywhere I'm happy stating my opinions anywhere I please. Love you too! :)
  • Keichi Morisato 2012/02/14 23:15:59
    No. I think such counseling is a good idea.
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    I would well if it was my kids at least i would try i wouldn't force them but i think that being gay or wanting to change your gender is something that isn't natural within the body and needs to be dealt with accordingly though I'm not going to hate people who are gay or discriminate against them.
  • Awwmand... Keichi ... 2012/02/18 20:51:41
    Awwmandawashere
    I commend you for your honesty and not writing something that was totally off base though I don't agree with you it is very refreshing to see someone who isn't all I hate gays. So thank you.
  • LizBeilschmictTheAWESOME 2012/02/14 04:44:11 (edited)
    LizBeilschmictTheAWESOME
    +2
    There's nothing wrong with being gay! I think that people who attempt to exterminate or change the ways of someone are no different than Hitler, and you can;t change someone's sexual preference because they were born that way! Gays should be able to make their own desicions, I mean, they are people, which, sadly, I think many people forget. Don't go into a hissy fit if you don't like what I'm saying, but I don't feel that people should shield themselves with religion (Which I think a lot of homophobia is originated from) I mean, isn't the point of religion to go to heaven or something? And can't you only get into heaven if you are a nice person? So why should you be allowed to go to heaven if you hate someone or try to change their ways. Well, whatever. I just don't think it's right to change someone. If you disagree, PLEASE don't make your arguement WITHOUT the bible, religion, or made up facts you have generated on your own.
  • gvc LizBeil... 2012/02/15 02:55:09
    gvc
    So you are the only one that can use made up facts then right?
    Considering your knowledge of the Bible, how you get to heaven, and even why someone is gay are wrong and completely without merit....I doubt you can speak with authority about much.
  • Awwmand... gvc 2012/02/18 20:53:53
    Awwmandawashere
    So are you saying that you have all the facts? well tell us what the truth is because apparently we are all stupid and don't understand? Before you attack someone on what they believe at least have a valid point all your doing is embarassing yourself.
  • gvc Awwmand... 2012/02/19 01:46:59
    gvc
    Go away troll. I could care less about your juvenile opinion and world view. As I said before, I will say anything I like, if you don't like what I have to say, keep moving, and stop trying to censor people who do not share your warped views.
  • Awwmand... LizBeil... 2012/02/19 16:36:26
    Awwmandawashere
    This is actually to Gina but for some reason I can't reply to her. I'm the troll?? When your going around and saying nasty things to people and trying to change people's views. I love the word choice you used I'm a pathetic puke? LMAO!! Don't make me laugh when you come up with someting actually worth listening to then I will consider it but until then try and stop my opinions but you never will just like you said I CAN SAY WHATEVER I WANT! so I will & there is nothing you can do about it. So nice try still didn't work. I'm a troll because I don't see anything wrong about someone being gay yet you think they need therapy? Please! the only troll here is you with your sick twisted view on this subject. So why don't you just go away when there are more people who agree with me than you and you want to know why? Because most of the population isn't sick like you the only person who needs therapy is you. Your absolutely disgusting and the things you say even god would disapprove. You hate gays and then you hate on people who don't have your views so who's the troll now??
  • gvc Awwmand... 2012/02/20 04:45:39
    gvc
    Clearly mental illness runs in the family. I don't hate anyone.
    When you can grow up and carry on an adult conversation, feel free to engage me again. Until then, save your opinions for someone who actually values them. And just in case that is not clear enough for you....I DON'T.
    YOU, are a hate filled bully, who follows people around to slam them because of their beliefs. In some circles that is is referred to as stalking. Bigot! Anyone that does not agree with you has to be wrong.
    You have taken up way too much of my time with your insane ramblings.
    Please please seek help, it would be a public service.
  • atomikmom 2012/02/13 04:59:47
    atomikmom
    That would be up to his parents if it were to come to that!!! but i highly doubt that they would make a fuss over their child's personal preferences.
  • Kigan 2012/02/12 22:25:52
    Kigan
    +5

You can't pray it away.
    You can't wish it away.

• Keichi ... Kigan 2012/02/14 23:20:46
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    one is not simply "born" gay, it is a conscious choice of the person. i don't know how to say it without sound bad, but its not like I'm going to be racist or anything or hateful i just think its a conscious choice that has consequences just like any choice be it good or bad. though forcing someone to go through therapy without consent is something i would never do though if you are underage (like 12) then yes i would send the through therapy granted nothing quite as sever just you know regular therapy.
  • Kigan Keichi ... 2012/02/15 02:32:04 (edited)
    Kigan
    I'm sorry you believe it is a choice. If not true for all, it is true for the vast majority that being gay is not a choice.

And I can pretty much guarantee those forcing themselves to be gay are no happier than those forcing themselves to be straight.
  • Keichi ... Kigan 2012/02/15 02:47:48
    Keichi Morisato
    right...
  • Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/02/12 21:21:29
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    especially if they didnt want it
  • Joanie 2012/02/12 20:44:34 (edited)
    Joanie
    +3
    "Ex-gay" and "ex-trans" therapy is like a Communist Chinese "re-education camp". Teaching people that they are evil and wrong because of the way God made them is about as sick as it gets.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/13 00:56:48
    gvc
    +7
    So you wouldn't try to teach a thief or murderer that it's wrong because that is the way God made them? Interesting! Of course it's true we are all born sinners, but we don't have to wallow in that sin, and accept it as normal. There is something you can do.
  • Joanie gvc 2012/02/13 01:08:14
    Joanie
    +2
    Your posting is one of ignorance and/or bigotry. If you want to live your life by the customs and societal norms of a middle eastern culture from thousands of years ago (the culture in which the men who authored the Bible lived), that is your deal. But to compare gay people to criminals is just absurd, bigoted, and self-righteous in the extreme. And to expect gay people to apologize for themselves, to deny themselves, to hate themselves, and to try to change themselves based on that thousand year old culture is nothing short of absurd. This gay girl will never deny herself again.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/13 01:31:36
    gvc
    Bigotry and ignorance? The exact same could be said of you.

Unlike you I am aware of my CHOICES, I can tell the difference between right and wrong, and the middle eastern culture does not affect my reasoning in the least.

Wrong is wrong, to compare one wrong to another is exactly right. After all, using your logic, they could all claim to be born that way, and claim to be powerless against it. What a weak and cowardly mentality.

I don't seek to change anybody's opinion or lifestyle, because it is their choice. I do however offer HOPE to those who do not settle for the absurd notion that they are powerless to change.
  • Joanie gvc 2012/02/13 01:42:12
    Joanie
    +2
    I don't want to change. I am proud of being a queer woman. I could change. You are right about that. I could buy into the self-loathing that seems to affect so many of the conservative Christians who cling to the Bible as if it protecting them from themselves. Perhaps it is affecting you. I could deny myself. I could destroy my self and my self-esteem on a thousand year old altar of religious intolerance, but, Gina, I won't. I am as queer as the day is long, and I love it. It is beautiful. And when my partner and I celebrate our closeness, it is as beautiful and loving as anything any two heterosexual people can have together. So keep on selling your snake oil to those that are buying. You will find fewer and fewer people who are interested.
  • gvc Joanie 2012/02/13 01:48:25
    gvc
    Good for you, you have made your choice.
    If you were as truly happy and content with your decision as you claim, you would not find it necessary to insult someone who does not share your opinion.
    I am not trying to sell anything, I am stating my opinion just like you.
    If you don't like my opinion, disregard it, and keep living your life, but you will never convince me you were born gay or could not change it if you chose too.
    I will say goodbye to you with this thought.....Love should never be used as an excuse to do something wrong.
  • Joanie gvc 2012/02/13 01:56:43 (edited)
    Joanie
    +2
    Honey, I am as happy and content as I said. It is not I who started the denigrating and insulting. Anyone looking at this thread can see that. You compared me to a murderer and a thief before I ever said anything negative about you. Your lack of self-insight does make me wonder if you, yourself, are a self-hating gay person. I find it ironic that you write, "Love should never be used as an excuse to do something wrong." Do you ever look in the mirror, or apply that statement to yourself?

2014/09/20 20:15:40