Would you ever consider having a pet bird??

Whitney Kendall 2012/07/29 21:20:20
Related Topics: Pet, Bird

i personally dont like birds:P

• Gothamjedi311 \m/ 2012/07/29 21:48:37
    no
    Gothamjedi311 \m/
    +3
    My Cat's, would love one. Lol
    gothamjedi311 Cats
    ...we had a cute litle parakeet once, it was my daughter Carla's...I believe we called him "Tweety". Go figure. lol
    squeezing the parakeet
    _Sadly; one morning, while he was out flying around the house like he usually did, the poor little guy was snatched up and accidentally squeezed to death, when an over zealous playmate happened to get little Tweety in his clutches.
    _I liked the little fella' too...he used to nestle in my hair. \m/
    gothamjedi311 Hair

• Snow White's Poison 2012/08/10 18:01:00
    yes
    Snow White's Poison
    +1
    I have over 200+ chickens, geese, ducks, guineas, peacocks, etc....but I do actually own pet birds as well geese chicken nugget duckling ducky http://images.sodahead.com/pr... rooster turkey kiwi
  • KATLYN 2012/08/04 21:43:38
    i already have a pet bird
    KATLYN
    +1
    had one they are messy and mine would bite
  • Nameless 2012/07/31 10:44:08
    i already have a pet bird
    Nameless
    +1
    I have three birds - a Triton Cockatoo (4 yrs old), an African Grey Congo (8 mos), and a Pacifica Parrotlet (8 mos). They are not pets for the lazy or inactive person. All three of them take time and a lot of care. They are also not inexpensive to maintain, feed, entertain... ;) I love all three but much more work than my dogs/cat/fish combined. LOL!

triton cockatoo
    african grey congo
    pacifica parrotlet
  • Black_Rose Nameless 2012/07/31 12:21:10
    Black_Rose
    +1
    The Triton cockatoo looks like an Umbrella cockatoo. Or is it the same type of bird? lol.
  • Nameless Black_Rose 2012/07/31 12:33:46
    Nameless
    +2
    They are in the same family but if you google them, you will see that their crests are slightly different.
  • Black_Rose Nameless 2012/08/01 12:19:09
    Black_Rose
    +1
    Ohhhh, cool! I just learned something new. Thanks!
  • Libertys Martyr 2012/07/30 20:44:04
    yes
    Libertys Martyr
    +1
    Yeah but I would research the hell out of it first.
  • Nameless Liberty... 2012/07/31 10:52:51
    Nameless
    +2
    The calmest, easiest and most social is a cockatoo. They are family oriented and sweet as can be. It's best to get from a private breeder and NOT a pet store. It's also very important to have an aviary specialist in place before purchasing a bird - especially a large one. Our Triton Cockatoo is, actually, a therapy bird, believe it or not. She has never bitten a soul - except for me the very first time I held her... That was a wee bit painful and messy because I am on blood thinners due to strokes so had a HUGE hematoma on my thumb pad area. However, she was just afraid... We do not trim our birds wings and have flight/aviary harnesses with leashes when we take them out. We also have special carriers for large birds. Jackie, the Triton, was named after Jackie Robinson. We have not have her sexed yet but are pretty certain she is a she and Jackie is a gender neutral name. ; ) She speaks some but her favorite thing is to be petted. Dai Chi is our African Grey and we believe a male. His name means Great Wisdom and he is smart as can be. At 8 mos he says: Step up!, Hello!, he coughs and waits for you to say Are you sick and Are you okay? LOL! He has learned to ask for breakfast and says "Mush!" He laughs hysterically when he's accomplished something and has no fear of our huge dogs. Doofus.
  • Liberty... Nameless 2012/07/31 21:18:43
    Libertys Martyr
    +1
    Thanks for sharing : ]
  • TerryAgee 2012/07/30 19:14:52
    yes
    TerryAgee
    +2
    Maybe a Falcon
  • Nameless TerryAgee 2012/07/31 12:35:14
    Nameless
    +1
    African Greys are, actually, descended from falcons. However, no matter how much you think you would like a falcon, they take an uber amount of work and are never really tamed at all.
  • TerryAgee Nameless 2012/08/01 16:30:53
    TerryAgee
    +1
    Thanks for the reality check about Falcons. Maybe having one for a pet isn't such a good idea.
  • Nameless TerryAgee 2012/08/01 16:38:04
    Nameless
    +1
    We know a falconer who comes with his falcons to the PA Renaissance Faire every year. I've held a few of them and, although they are extremely beautiful, intelligent, and awesome - in the most pure sense of that word - and despite wanting one, myself for a long time, they are not meant to be kept in general. I am amazed every time I see them and in awe of the man who cares for them.
  • Nameless TerryAgee 2012/08/01 16:41:04
    Nameless
    +1
    Here's some cool vid for you:

There are more videos of this guy on youtube and we will be seeing him in a couple of weeks. ; )
  • TerryAgee Nameless 2012/08/01 16:55:32
    TerryAgee
    +1
    I agree with you 100%. This is a cool vid. The Falconer knows his stuff and he presents it in a funny and informative style. I had no clue that Falcons were kept as pets for 4,000 years. Thank you again. I just added this vid to my playlist. Good job!
  • Nameless TerryAgee 2012/08/01 17:00:03
    Nameless
    +1
    There are three more to that series and you can watch some pretty incredible birds of prey. Just type in Royal Falconer Part 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4 and 4 of 4. The falconer there allowed our autistic daughter to work with him a bit and she learned a LOT of respect for those birds.
  • TerryAgee Nameless 2012/08/01 17:07:46
    TerryAgee
    +1
    When she becomes of age, would you consider getting her a Falcon for a pet? Say yes!
  • Nameless TerryAgee 2012/08/01 17:27:23
    Nameless
    +1
    She is of age - and no. I love those birds, but not a snowball's chance. If we lived in an area where we had room for one to fly, and I had the immense amount of time to work with one - maaaaaaaaaybe. However, not likely. I MIGHT consider helping rehab them, though. I'd only want to do it under the supervision and tutelage of a respected falconer. It's a serious "business" and an extreme responsibility with those birds
  • TerryAgee Nameless 2012/08/01 17:39:21
    TerryAgee
    +1
    I agree 99% with your caution. Please, let me know when you are ready to become a Falconer? I look forward to watching your vid soon.
  • john.keenan.792 2012/07/30 18:34:34
    yes
    john.keenan.792
    +1
    a crow;... as you can domesticate them
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2012/07/30 14:48:57
    yes
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +1
    But my cat would like it TOO much, LOL!
  • Nameless Just ME... 2012/07/31 12:36:04
    Nameless
    +2
    We have three cats and they knew better than to mess with our two larger birds. In fact, our two larger birds put the cats in their places reaaaaaal fast.
  • Just ME... Nameless 2012/08/01 14:15:39
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +1
    I wouldn't be too worried about larger birds, only problem is they are VERY expensive, and I am sure, knowing my cat, that she would probably strewss the bird out quite a bit, be it from anger or fright!
  • Nameless Just ME... 2012/08/01 16:14:19 (edited)
    Nameless
    +2
    Our cockatoo was a surrender at a pet store and w/ the cage and toys was $900. Our african grey was $1200 from a very reputable private breeder. His corner cage and his toys were about $500. He eats mostly human food but we do give him excellent kibble for when he is in his cage. Our parrotlet is in her cage more... Imo, small birds are rougher. LOL

The initial expense of these birds is quite a lot.

We have three cats, all of whom have tried to bug the snot our of our larger birds have learned that a nip from the bird or a bird buzzing them is unpleasant. We have three cats and all are mousers and have no fear of our large dogs. The birds have put them in their place. I love it.

(Oh, and they don't stress as easily as many say...)
  • Black_Rose 2012/07/30 14:42:09
    yes
    Black_Rose
    +2
    I've always wanted a Rose Breasted Cockatoo

Rose breasted cockatoo
    Rose breasted cockatoo
  • Becca 2012/07/30 14:39:25
    yes
    Becca
    +1
    I find them rather adorable :)
  • Pocahontas 2012/07/30 11:28:51
    no
    Pocahontas
    +1
    Because I don't think you can really pet a bird.
  • Nameless Pocahontas 2012/07/31 12:37:32
    Nameless
    +2
    I'll see if I can post a video of me petting mine later. I have to get my daughter home from the hospital first (hopefully, today). Jackie, my cockatoo, loves loves loves to be petted and even takes naps with me and lays under the covers with her head on my arm.
  • Pocahontas Nameless 2012/08/01 22:44:26
    Pocahontas
    +1
    I knew there was going to be such replies! =D
    Hope your daughter is okay! =]
  • Nameless Pocahontas 2012/08/02 11:11:03
    Nameless
    +2
    Thank you. She is home - came home yesterday - and doing better. ty. Our cockatoo has to be one of the most loving creatures I have ever encountered. Now, our african grey is not one who likes strangers at all. In fact, he tolerates our daughter. LOL That's as good as that relationship will get. I got him for my husband as a 25th anniversary present and, fortunately, he has bonded to us both - but prefers my husband, which is how I wanted it. When we go out, however, he growls at anyone who comes too close and fluffs his feathers all up. I was told by the breeder that african greys are the only bird that growls. It's hysterical!
  • Pocahontas Nameless 2012/08/02 13:02:45
    Pocahontas
    +1
    Why did you choose an African grey if they are less friendly than the cockatoos (or other breeds)? Or is it only your African grey that doesn't like strangers and only your cockatoo that is so lovable?
  • Nameless Pocahontas 2012/08/02 14:15:08
    Nameless
    +2
    African Greys tend to be geared towards one (or two) person. It's just their nature. They are, however, a VERY intelligent animal and mature to the level of a 4-6 year old child. They can have an extensive vocabulary and can even understand abstract concepts. They can express quite clearly what they want, how they feel (sometimes), and other emotions. There was a very intelligent african grey by the name of Alex who was studied from 1977 to 2007, when he passed away, by researcher Irene Pepperberg. Google it. ; ) You will be absolutely amazed.

Cockatoos, in general, tend to be a very different bird. They can talk but often/sometimes do not. They tend to be a more cuddly, affectionate bird. It's not that african greys are not - but just very different in overall makeup.
  • Pocahontas Nameless 2012/08/02 20:15:21
    Pocahontas
    +1
    Thank you! ^_^
  • D D 2012/07/30 10:40:50
    yes
    D D
    +1
    I wouldn't mind having a bird. I like them.
  • Kitty Kat 'CARROT' 2012/07/30 09:38:59
    yes
    Kitty Kat 'CARROT'
    +1
    Their awsome and fun to be with
  • Icon 2012/07/30 04:12:29 (edited)
    yes
    Icon
    +1
    I'd love to have a pet raven. I'd call him Negrito for obvious reasons. Or maybe Blanca for the same reason.

Raven
  • Crime Time 2012/07/30 03:54:01
  • Scott C 2012/07/30 03:38:25
    i already have a pet bird
    Scott C
    +2
    Loud and obnoxious but funny as heck especially when they learn a few words and want your attention.
  • horselo... Scott C 2012/07/30 04:02:29
  • Scott C horselo... 2012/07/30 04:04:12
    Scott C
    +1
    Sorry happily married I love horses too but for me there's no horsing around.

2014/09/03 07:07:28