Would you defend a clothing store customer who was belittled for her weight?

ABCnews.com 2012/03/16 14:35:07
Related Topics: Clothing, Weight, Store

• robinsw... TheTrut... 2012/03/21 20:23:08
    robinswebnest
    Ok, if I tell you you are an insensitive jerk...how does that motivate? If I tell you that you are stupidly cruel, how does that motivate? Are you getting the picture yet? Insults and put downs, DO NO MOTIVATE, THEY HURT. Unless you are insensitive...
  • TheTrut... robinsw... 2012/03/22 08:08:47
    TheTruth1313
    again, I hear you, but, excuses are excuses. Look, indulge me. Get out there and try. Try something easy like going for a walk and see if maybe it starts some kind of a change. Irregardless of what you may think of me, I do hope that you will at least try and that you succeed.
  • robinsw... TheTrut... 2012/03/22 13:42:05
    robinswebnest
    Dude, you are so not listening.....I am not going to tell you again, I have done all the changes and have lost most of the weight. I don't feel I need to loose anymore. Only idiots and ugly people like you think I need to loose more. Get over yourself and fix yourself...then maybe you will be worth listening to.
  • TheTrut... robinsw... 2012/03/23 04:08:12
    TheTruth1313
    Whatever helps you sleep at night.
  • robinsw... TheTrut... 2012/03/23 16:50:23
    robinswebnest
    I sleep fine, and I know you do too...which makes you an unrepentent idiot. Good luck with that...bye
  • TheTrut... robinsw... 2012/03/24 02:41:39
    TheTruth1313
    Yeah, keep pointing fingers and making excuses there fatty. And good day to you!!
  • robinsw... TheTrut... 2012/03/24 18:41:00
    robinswebnest
    Ahhh there you are....You just proved my point. You have some serious problems. Get lost loser, you time is over.
  • TheTrut... robinsw... 2012/03/25 06:35:45
    TheTruth1313
    Just as you have proved mine.
  • Michell... robinsw... 2012/03/18 13:57:32
    Michelle Pfeiff
    +1
    I almost asked this same question. Thank you for pointing this out.
  • robinsw... Michell... 2012/03/18 20:48:16
    robinswebnest
    +1
    Your welcome. There are way to many people who think using the 'harsh reality' concept is actually constructive. Negative comments, shutting doors in peoples faces, laughing at them, insulting them, snubing them, telling them the obvious.....all that does is make their problem worse. If someone really wants to help, try being a friend. Try supporting them.
  • Michell... robinsw... 2012/03/18 21:51:23
    Michelle Pfeiff
    EXACTLY!
  • robinsw... Michell... 2012/03/19 16:03:27
    robinswebnest
    The funny thing is that I cannot get into a pant smaller than 12. That is what I wore in my 20's when I weighed 130 pounds at 5'10". I was very skinny except my hips, which were 38 1/2"
  • Michell... robinsw... 2012/03/20 22:36:56
    Michelle Pfeiff
    +1
    I think we too often get caught up in numbers - pant size, weight according to the scale, BMI, etc. If you are healthy, feel good, and are comfortable with yourself, then I say forget about what anyone else says (or the scale for that matter). I buy pants a size bigger than my waist so I can fit my butt and thighs into them! lol And, my BMI always puts me higher because I'm short (5'2"), but I have a lot of muscle. That isn't to say I don't have some softness to me that I wish wasn't there, but I am in my mid-40s now and I can't expect myself to be the 106-109 pounds I was in my 20s.
  • robinsw... Michell... 2012/03/20 23:28:40
    robinswebnest
    +1
    You are so right. I am 56 and stand 5'10". My weight is much higher than when I was in my 20's, but I don't care. Yes, I could stand to loose more....not because 'someone' thinks I should, but because I want to....for me. It would also help with my gout....what an ugly word....in my knees. This guy who claims it is ok to harrass fat people just makes it harder for them to lose weight. My mother couldn't take it anymore and basically ate herself to death. Food had become a comfort for her, where people were not. I knew a lady who had been fat since a child and became a shut in.....because of peoples cruelty.
    Now, I hear people trying to make fat people pay more for insurance and airfare....if they succeed, then there is no stopping these people. I think if they made it more affordable for gastric by pass, then more larger people....and I mean the very large....may be able to take advantage of it and loose the excess weight. Problem is, if you have no insurance, the average cost for such surgery is in excess of $170000.00. And if they do have insurance their cost is approx 35% of that.
  • Michell... robinsw... 2012/03/21 19:38:07
    Michelle Pfeiff
    Exactly! Do it because YOU want to, not because some random person says you should. I am sorry about your mother. I'm sure it is very painful for you on several levels. I have lost both my parents and it isn't easy. Knowing you lost them for reasons that shouldn't exist is harder (there is a long story to this, but there are reasons my mom passed before she should have). My heart goes out to you.

It boggles my brain that people can be so insensitive. What is even worse is when someone says that they have come through the same situations and have no empathy for another. Like this person saying he has suffered depression and uses it to motivate himself. That's great, but not everyone has the same coping skills.

I just had this discussion with a group of women recently about one woman who had a tough childhood and doesn't handle disagreements well. She gets very defensive and then will start with rude comments as a way to boost her self-image especially if she either realizes she's wrong or doesn't know how to defend her position in the disagreement. MAN!! Everyone started jumping on me for giving her "excuses". I was like WHOA!! I wasn't giving her excuses because we are all ultimately responsible for our own actions, but was just offering some insight. They got int...

I just had this discussion with a group of women recently about one woman who had a tough childhood and doesn't handle disagreements well. She gets very defensive and then will start with rude comments as a way to boost her self-image especially if she either realizes she's wrong or doesn't know how to defend her position in the disagreement. MAN!! Everyone started jumping on me for giving her "excuses". I was like WHOA!! I wasn't giving her excuses because we are all ultimately responsible for our own actions, but was just offering some insight. They got into this "my childhood was worse and I don't act like that" thing. I'M GLAD FOR THEM!! But, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have empathy for another.

It's also like my neighbor. He and I both grew up very poor in single-parent families. I know social programs need reform, but I still believe in helping others. So, we donate old items that still have a useful life, sometimes I make monetary donations and have even volunteered places. He, on the other hand, refuses to help anyone because he said he did it on his own ... so can they. (btw, I was the first in my family to attend college (and the only so far) and I did it all on my own, too).

I think we are going to have to just agree to disagree on some things with this poster. But, I will certainly keep being the way I am toward these people and will teach my kids to be the same.
  • robinsw... Michell... 2012/03/21 20:36:50
    robinswebnest
    I am sorry you had a hard time growing up. I too had a lousy childhood. My father was a violent alcoholic and my mother….well; she just had all kinds of excuses and complaints. It was because of this kind of family life that we never got to know our own cousins. Their parents wanted nothing to do with our situation. It has only been recently that I have connected with them (Dec 2010). 2 of my cousins have become close and my aunt and uncle call me often.
    Growing up in ghettos and every kind of bad neighborhood, well, you can imagine was rough. I believe it helped me to become a better person. I was the first of 6 kids (I am #3) to graduate from high school and the only one to go to college. I didn’t finish, but I still take the occasional class and will eventually graduate.
    My oldest brother is like your neighbor, he wants nothing to do with our cousins because they wanted nothing to do with us when we were young. It is not only about tolerance, it is also about forgiveness. Yes, it hurt, but I grew up. My brother (59 years old) still has some growing to do.
  • Michell... TheTrut... 2012/03/18 13:53:12
    Michelle Pfeiff
    There is a HUGE difference between counseling someone and encouraging them to make healthier choices and belittling them for being over-weight. According to some "charts" I would be considered "over-weight", but I only wear a size 6 pant, I TEACH aerobics 4-5 times/week, and I DO try to make healthy choices. Would you call me out? MY goal, is to encourage people to do things that are good for them and applaud their successes, not make them feel guilty.
  • TheTrut... Michell... 2012/03/19 06:26:32
    TheTruth1313
    First of all you are not obese and keep up the great work with the aerobics. And kudos for being a part of the solution. However, sometimes the harsh truth can be what is need to motivate. It is indeed a case by case basis. Thank you for your insightful response.
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2012/03/17 19:30:55
    Yes. No one deserves such hostile treatment.
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +4
    Yes, I would defend anyone who was being belittled by a cowardly bully especially over one's physical appearance.
  • Andy 2012/03/17 19:29:22
    Andy
    +5
    While the weight is an issue... she still is a customer and a human being!! Show some grace and mercy!!
  • Rebel [SHP] 2012/03/17 19:26:38
    No. Being overweight is unhealthy and she should be shamed.
    Rebel [SHP]
    +1
    I'm not interested. She can defend herself. Besides....the store is right.....she needs to get off her lazy ass and find a gym.
  • RoseyRhod Rebel [... 2012/03/17 19:48:18
    RoseyRhod
    +5
    And you need to get off your sanctimonious high horse.
  • Rebel [... RoseyRhod 2012/03/17 19:51:43
    Rebel [SHP]
    Speaking of "sanctimonious high horse(s)" who the hell do you think you are? Exactly. Go away, you had your opinion, I had mine.
  • Giantfan Rebel [... 2012/03/17 20:06:38
    Giantfan
    +1
    You remind me of a person who goes holloweening as an ass but never takes their outfit off because it fits perfectly.
  • Giantfan RoseyRhod 2012/03/20 14:32:53
    Giantfan
    With angry, ignorance is bliss.
  • Giantfan Rebel [... 2012/03/17 20:04:34 (edited)
    Giantfan
    +2
    She can lose weight but you can't lose being stupid. All the exercise in the world couldn't shed your stupidity.
  • TheTrut... Rebel [... 2012/03/18 06:27:11
    TheTruth1313
    Yup
  • Giantfan Rebel [... 2012/03/20 14:31:20
    Giantfan
    Conservatism, so simple even a caveman can think that way....
    hyt
  • Rebel [... Giantfan 2012/03/20 19:52:53
    Rebel [SHP]

Wow. Original. Fakes applause. Go take your meds before you embarrass yourself any further.
  • Giantfan Rebel [... 2012/03/20 22:09:46
    Giantfan
    Let's see which one Rush uses. Where's that little blue pill he takes to make him seem like a man. They should make Viagra the official drug of the GOP. They need something to turn male conservatives into men.
  • PrettieReptar 2012/03/17 19:23:58
    PrettieReptar
    +5
    Why are people so freaking shallow?
  • DizziNY Prettie... 2012/03/17 19:32:10
    DizziNY
    +3
    Cuz of the way society brainwashes people and because of the lack of morals imo.
  • D Hanes 2012/03/17 19:21:03
    D Hanes
    +6
    Of course I would.. and then fire that employee.. EVERYONE DESERVES RESPECT!
  • I NEED A HORSE 2012/03/17 18:42:29
  • Teri- Oregon 2012/03/17 18:32:27
    Teri- Oregon
    +8
    That employee needs to be fired!
  • Hamilton Teri- O... 2012/03/18 20:47:16
    Hamilton
    +1
    I would fire him or her on the spot.
  • Fenabarb 2012/03/17 14:25:19
    Fenabarb
    +1
    know-one should be belittled but being overweight is unhealthy and maybe more people need to be told they are overweight.
  • TheDude Fenabarb 2012/03/17 17:16:24
    TheDude
    +7
    That's what a doctor is for.. However, that is not what a Walmart employee is for. I'd make a scene about it.
  • Teri- O... Fenabarb 2012/03/17 18:30:13
    Teri- Oregon
    +4
    you are an idiot, the likely hood they are over weight to begin with is because of low self esteam, do you really think by belittle them you are helping them? I really dislike people like you. People like you probably started them on their path of obesity to begin with. Dumb a$$!
  • D Hanes Fenabarb 2012/03/17 19:22:48
    D Hanes
    +3
    ... but it is not up to you or that employee to tell anyone else how to live...I cant stand the way some people dress or eat or a lot of things.. but I dont run the world.. niether did that employee.. that is just plain rudeness from someone who was never taught any manners!

2014/09/22 02:13:09