Would You Date Someone Who's Unemployed?

Not only will being unemployed affect your bank account, it will affect your love life, too -- especially if you're male. A whopping 75 percent of women say they are unlikely to date a guy who is out of a job, according to a poll from dating service It's Just Lunch.

More specifically, 33 percent of women said they would NOT go out with someone who is unemployed, even on one date, and other 42 percent said "Maybe" with the caveat, "I wouldn't want to throw a lot of time into it unless they had a game plan for getting back on track." Only 4 percent said "Of course" and 21 percent said "Yes. But I'd be curious to see how they're keeping occupied in the meantime."

Meanwhile, almost two-thirds of men were OK with dating an unemployed woman, with 19 percent having no reservations at all and 46 percent saying they would definitely date a jobless gal.

Our friends at How About We aren't overly shocked by the poll results, but think women should be more open-minded. "To women, having a job is huge, and I understand. Not because I want a guy to be rolling in benjamins and buying me stuff, but because having a job is a sign that you have your sh*t together and care about stuff and are ambitious and are working toward something, etc.," writes one female blogger.

She continues, "But! Obviously (especially today), people are between jobs all the time. I have a friend who pretty much quits his job whenever he feels like it and then travels to Iceland for two weeks and then comes back and easily finds another job. Some people can do that." Would you date someone who's unemployed?

Read More: http://www.howaboutwe.com/date-report/women-probab...

• Kyle 2012/06/29 23:48:17
    Kyle
    +2
    yea i would
  • EmoKiss:3 2012/06/29 23:32:41
    EmoKiss:3
    +1
    i'm 14 so most people i know don't have job xD
  • it'skrissie!d:) 2012/06/29 23:21:29
    it'skrissie!d:)
    +1
    I know that sounds cold, but I want to be with someone who is ambitious and has his life handled and secure. Not for money, but for my idea of "class".
  • dekecds it'skri... 2012/06/29 23:53:46
    dekecds
    +2
    says the woman whos pseudonym is :"Itskerissiebitch"
  • it'skri... dekecds 2012/06/30 03:04:01
    it'skrissie!d:)
    Yes, well, a lot of people like to pull that one. Oh, and you spelled my name wrong. It's Krissie...and I'll do us both a favor by leaving out the other little part.

Actually--on a more calmer, casual note--I have been meaning to change that. I put that as my username, I think, five years or something ago. I just haven't gotten around to it. But you know what, I don't think I am anymore. ;)
  • dekecds it'skri... 2012/06/30 06:54:48
    dekecds
    XD Lol! sorry about mis-spelling your name! (o_-) (o_o)
  • Eyes Se... it'skri... 2012/06/30 04:46:12
    Eyes See Wide North
    Your idea of class separates you from other humans in your own head, no class in a person like that.
  • it'skri... Eyes Se... 2012/06/30 17:55:33
    it'skrissie!d:)
    If you are trying to insult me, you failed. I have my opinion and you have yours. It's narrow-minded of you to think that we all have the same definition of a word.
  • cm 2012/06/29 23:15:58
    cm
    especially if she were hot
  • Pops 2012/06/29 23:11:25
    Pops
    That only leaves a few!
  • Bibliophilic 2012/06/29 23:10:51 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    Technically yes, because I would date a student or someone on a scholarship/ research grant. Otherwise... probably not.

It could happen to anyone though. Temporary unemployment is a fact of life for many people. I am very understanding, but a person who is chronically unemployed is not very appealing.
  • sally 2012/06/29 23:00:57
    sally
    +1
    depending on the situation. I can't let him mooch off of me. Pffft... like I have money, I barely have enough to stay in college.
  • Eyes Se... sally 2012/06/30 04:46:57
    Eyes See Wide North
    Someones only gonna mooch off ya if you are the gullible type.
  • lonewolf 2012/06/29 22:58:51
    lonewolf
    it may not be their fault that they are.
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/06/29 22:55:28
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
  • Rocky 2012/06/29 22:51:23
    Rocky
    +3
    I married him!!! Love him dearly and still do. He had a bad time in his life and I had enough money for both of us and more!! So What! He works now but doesn't have to. Still can support us forever but he wants to do his part --- That's why I love him even more!
  • Ant 2012/06/29 22:50:54
    Ant
    +2
    As long as they have some type of income.
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/29 22:41:37 (edited)
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    Back in my dating days I did, but I have been married a long time.

Oh, but when I first got together with my wonderful husband, his business was failing and he was flat broke. 20+ years later, he changed careers and is doing great.

Moral to the story?
  • Jannis 2012/06/29 22:34:54
    Jannis
    I dont judge a guy by how much he is worth.I wouldnt mind having my man staying at home and doing chores :)
  • BöseCharlotte 2012/06/29 22:34:49
    BöseCharlotte
    +1
    I would date someone looking for work, as long as they didn't depend on me too much. I barely make enough to stay afloat anyways.
  • TheBadOne 2012/06/29 22:31:54
    TheBadOne
    Generally it's fine but if she's actively skirting her responsibilities then I'll lose interest.
  • RogerCoppock 2012/06/29 22:27:53
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    Do marriages decrease in depressions? Does anyone know?
  • RevBH RogerCo... 2012/06/30 00:14:27
    RevBH
    Good questions. Anyone have any stats?
  • Death Faerie 2012/06/29 22:21:48
    Death Faerie
    +1
    Nope...been there, done that, not going there again. Now with that being said, if I'm dating someone and he's laid off, I'm not going to automatically dump him. But I will if he isn't actively looking for a job and he wants me to give him money.
  • Eyes Se... Death F... 2012/06/30 04:47:51
    Eyes See Wide North
    You date one jobless person and judge every single other person on this planet without a job because of that, racists make as much sense as you.
  • Death F... Eyes Se... 2012/06/30 04:52:18
    Death Faerie
    I won't date people who refuse to get a job and expect people to support them. If he is in college..fine..he's still doing something useful and productive. I won't support anyone.
  • Eyes Se... Death F... 2012/06/30 04:55:26
  • Death F... Eyes Se... 2012/06/30 04:58:26
    Death Faerie
    Yes..I know of people who would rather live off of others, who come up with excuses for why they aren't looking.

I'm not a gold digger like you seem to be implying. I'm attracted to someone who works at McDonalds for crying out loud. He works and he works hard. He has supported his family since the age of 14. Its something to admire.
  • Eyes Se... Death F... 2012/06/30 05:05:40
    Eyes See Wide North
    SORRY WHERE DID I IMPLY IN ANYWAY THAT YOU WERE A GOLD DIGGER?? hahahahahahahahahahahahah
  • Death F... Eyes Se... 2012/06/30 23:29:41
    Death Faerie
    Maybe not you, but I just wanted to put it out there, in case someone else accuses me. Sometimes I wish I were...life would be more financially stable..but I just can't find it in me to use people for cash. Besides, I find myself being attracted to creative, artistic people...and many of those I'm attracted to aren't even close to being rich. In fact some are poor.
  • Eyes Se... Death F... 2012/07/01 13:42:54
    Eyes See Wide North
    Dont come near me then, Im not a painter, singer, band manager and promoter who runs events in nightclubs. Im also NOT learning to rap and act :O

I too wish I was a gold digger however, women would stop bothering me, I wouldnt have to work my ass off in careers I genuinely love, and I am sure that my older wealthy woman lover would not be that abusive to me :D
    I would just cry silently while she talks dirty to me and gropes my young healthy body.

It really irritates me that so many young girls would find that to be offensive
  • Death F... Eyes Se... 2012/07/01 19:17:07
    Death Faerie
    I don't care for rap..and people should do what they love and what they are good at. I wish I could afford to get out of my lame ass town and move to New Orleans.
  • Death F... Eyes Se... 2012/06/30 05:00:51
    Death Faerie
    I just noticed that you are from Ireland. I'm from America..we have a lot of lazy people here. I work, and I work my butt off. I just can't deal with people who don't want to work.
  • Eyes Se... Death F... 2012/06/30 05:06:57
    Eyes See Wide North
    Lazy would be one of the stereotypical American traits I suppose, let them be homeless, they will learn how to be resourceful and also learn true values of life, or else they will die
  • Death F... Eyes Se... 2012/06/30 23:31:11
    Death Faerie
    I have compassion for the homeless, in fact I find myself wanting to give them money. Some can't help it. I just won't date someone who is homeless. You have compassion and befriend someone who is down and out without wanting to date them.
  • Eyes Se... Death F... 2012/07/01 13:44:36
    Eyes See Wide North
    All I am saying is dont judge a book by its cover, you might want to marry a homeless man some day, and then you will have to fight yourself because of your previous judgements.
  • Death F... Eyes Se... 2012/07/01 19:17:55
    Death Faerie
    I'm 38, its too late for me to get married. So I've got nothing to worry about.
  • Daryl 2012/06/29 22:21:33
    Daryl
    +1
    Yes and then I would give her a job and hopefully she would give me a job back.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/29 22:12:54
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +2
    Don't know that would have to do with the price of butter.
  • Happy_Evil_Dude 2012/06/29 22:02:56
    Happy_Evil_Dude
    +1
    Leaves her more time for the cooking and cleaning. Sweet.
    leaves cooking cleaning sweet

2014/08/02 04:32:16