Would You Date Someone Who's Unemployed?

Not only will being unemployed affect your bank account, it will affect your love life, too -- especially if you're male. A whopping 75 percent of women say they are unlikely to date a guy who is out of a job, according to a poll from dating service It's Just Lunch.

More specifically, 33 percent of women said they would NOT go out with someone who is unemployed, even on one date, and other 42 percent said "Maybe" with the caveat, "I wouldn't want to throw a lot of time into it unless they had a game plan for getting back on track." Only 4 percent said "Of course" and 21 percent said "Yes. But I'd be curious to see how they're keeping occupied in the meantime."

Meanwhile, almost two-thirds of men were OK with dating an unemployed woman, with 19 percent having no reservations at all and 46 percent saying they would definitely date a jobless gal.

Our friends at How About We aren't overly shocked by the poll results, but think women should be more open-minded. "To women, having a job is huge, and I understand. Not because I want a guy to be rolling in benjamins and buying me stuff, but because having a job is a sign that you have your sh*t together and care about stuff and are ambitious and are working toward something, etc.," writes one female blogger.

She continues, "But! Obviously (especially today), people are between jobs all the time. I have a friend who pretty much quits his job whenever he feels like it and then travels to Iceland for two weeks and then comes back and easily finds another job. Some people can do that." Would you date someone who's unemployed?

Read More: http://www.howaboutwe.com/date-report/women-probab...

• Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/06/30 03:52:15
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +2
    Dating doesn't mean marrying. Of coarse I am married. LOL But she has a job.
  • hannah 2012/06/30 03:49:50
    hannah
    +1
    if they were trying to find one and working hard and not being lazy. i understand everyone falls on hardship even the most sweetest, hottest of guys (i say guys cause im a straight girl). id only be with a guy if he was a genuinely sweet guy with a heart filled with love and warmth for all people that deserve it and obviously is cute although im not predjudiced against guys that arent my type either. but we all fall on hard times. its just up to us if we will fight to get up on our feet again or fall back down. i choose the guy who tries even if there is chance of failure and is not to proud that he cant except sound advice and/or a helping hand. the reason why my dad is where he is financially now is because he never listened to anyone but his own mind when he had good people giving him sound advice. i dont want someone like that because they will never prosper. they'll just annt to escape or always do stuff their own way and end up messing up cause they wont ever listen. i dont like a guy like that.
  • Omni 2012/06/30 03:42:46 (edited)
    Omni
    +1
    There's a lot of reasons that contribute to unemployment; the #1 issue, from my point of view, being location. Not everyone lives in an ideal setting for job seeking. That said, effort does still need to be made, unless you're in school. Then the situation completely changes.
  • Wulfdane 2012/06/30 03:10:40 (edited)
    Wulfdane
    +1
    Of course I would, people can be unemployed for myraid of reasons.

Should I judge a single mom raising a young child who finds herself unempmoyed? Does make her less of a person? Lazy? Less committed?

When I go into a relationship, I look at the person in their entirety.
  • METALheadMom 2012/06/30 03:07:33
    METALheadMom
    I'm fairly lenient about a lot of stuff, but this is not one of them.
  • Eyes Se... METALhe... 2012/06/30 04:42:03
    Eyes See Wide North
    You wanna get your head checked.
  • VICTORIA 2012/06/30 03:07:22
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Interesting how starkly the demographics break down along age-
  • Cameryn (◠‿◠✿) 2012/06/30 03:03:51
    Cameryn (◠‿◠✿)
    +1
    As long as they aren't planning to stay unemployed forever, why not?
  • Kaimeso 2012/06/30 02:46:08
    Kaimeso
    To be truthful, No,... I've already raised my kids, I don't need any more dependents.
  • Eyes Se... Kaimeso 2012/06/30 04:43:03
    Eyes See Wide North
    Raised a kid = Better than everyone
  • Kaimeso Eyes Se... 2012/06/30 16:36:14 (edited)
    Kaimeso
    No, just not willing to pay for some unemployed guy to go on a date. But I can tell from your posts, even if employed I wouldn't have a thing to do with you since you're a nasty rude piece of work.
  • Eyes Se... Kaimeso 2012/07/01 13:36:46
    Eyes See Wide North
    Glad I offended someone who thinks they are above us all.

By the way, a nice walk on the beach would not cost you, you assume too much.
  • Kaimeso Eyes Se... 2012/07/01 13:53:17
    Kaimeso
    Oh I'm not offended, just easily recognized you for the rude obnoxious person you are,.. Good luck on the beach,
  • mandyinabox 2012/06/30 02:32:09
  • SOUL4REAL 2012/06/30 02:17:04
    SOUL4REAL
    There a difference between being a free loader and being unemployed. There are many nice women and men who are having bad luck finding a job because of the economy. Can a person get a break??
  • Absynthe, Lady of Snakes 2012/06/30 02:00:12
    Absynthe, Lady of Snakes
    I'd just hope they were at least attempting to get a job. If they weren't trying then it's not going to work.
  • GoreGirl 2012/06/30 01:55:59
    GoreGirl
    I am...dating isn't the issue, but when you're depending on someone else's share for bills and whatnot, that's different lol. My boyfriend got laid off in April and hasn't been able to get back in his career, much less anywhere else.
  • Tiah 2012/06/30 01:49:29
    Tiah
    +1
    As long as he isn't a guy who doesn't try to find a job then we may have a problem...
  • jacob crim 2012/06/30 01:47:56
    jacob crim
    +1
    As long as she is actively seeking employment and isnt a slob I do not see the problem.
  • Leyla 2012/06/30 01:37:43 (edited)
    Leyla
    Yes, I would because if the person is unemployed I will definitely date them either way they have money or not but that depense whether we have relationship with the person or like each other. Basically being unemployed doesn't mean you can't date the person. Money is not nothing it comes and go. So money is power because people can do anything but I believe it can be finish or gone anytime. I am not the kind of person who depend for money but the only thing I look for the person is their personality because personality is more important to me than money.
  • Kigan 2012/06/30 01:36:57
    Kigan
    Especially in this economy, being out of a job isn't a reason to write someone off.
  • Joy Buchanan 2012/06/30 01:18:53
    Joy Buchanan
    Well It kinda also depens... -_-
  • Belle 2012/06/30 01:01:57
    Belle
    +1
    Frankly, no.
  • Metaldane 2012/06/30 00:57:57
    Metaldane
    +1
    I wouldn't have a problem with it but the poll surprised me a bit I didn't think guys would be the more understanding of the two and I'm a dude lol
  • AlexTheDrummer 2012/06/30 00:48:39
    AlexTheDrummer
    I'm 14. Of course the person I would date would be unemployed.
  • opa62 2012/06/30 00:38:36
    opa62
    Yes, with a proviso- they are not out of work because of some psychological issue.
  • thomas.fox.54 2012/06/30 00:34:08
    thomas.fox.54
    Wtf kind of a question is this. Just because someone is unemployed doesn't mean that they are a bum. Would you date someone who has billions of dollars of inheritance in the bank but no job? The question should be "would you date someone who is a lazy bum." Just because someone is unemployed doesnt mean that they are a lazy bum.
  • tori 2012/06/30 00:31:44
    tori
    As long as your actively trying to find one, sure. It's when your sitting on your couch all day doing nothing that I have a problem.
  • k fleming 2012/06/30 00:30:25
    k fleming
    I'm a guy so I guess I have to be the sugardaddy. ...
  • joe 2012/06/30 00:22:39
    joe
    I was recently unemployed. People do treat you differently. Regrettably having a job does not make you a valuable person. It only makes you eligible for a credit card. If ability to pay is the main criteria for a personal relationship. I would do better renting hassle free whores. Their offerings would be more honest.
  • Nabael 2012/06/30 00:09:03
    Nabael
    IF she was intelligent, seeking a job, kind and beautiful (as well as trustworthy) then I don't see why I wouldn't. Money means very little to me in terms of love. Now if she was expecting to completely just use me as a source of Income, THAT is another story. I'd at least like her to try.
  • RevBH 2012/06/30 00:07:29
    RevBH
    Before I was married, I didn't care about their job, their car, or their bank account. I looked for brains, character, and a good heart, and that's what I married. It was a very, very good decision. I love you because you're the BEST EVER in the EVER, Baby Lamb.

XOXOXOOX to the squiilionth power.
  • Tylisha Gourdine 2012/06/30 00:07:17
    Tylisha Gourdine
    I'm sorry but no. If he doesn't have a job and isn't trying to get one then that means he is probably just sitting around his house playing video games. If he is trying to get a job but can't then sure because I know he is actually trying to better himself.
  • RevBH Tylisha... 2012/06/30 00:12:01
    RevBH
    Maybe this question should have distinguished between "unemployed and trying to get a job" and "unemployed and mooching off parents/friends/etc." I have no problem whatsoever with the former. SO many smart, talented, experienced, hard-working people are out of work right now. That may not reflect on their value as a human being.
  • Tylisha... RevBH 2012/07/05 15:34:00
    Tylisha Gourdine
    Exactly. I completely agree.
  • ..::localeye::.. 2012/06/30 00:04:19
    ..::localeye::..
    I would not. Shows a lack of drive.
  • Eyes Se... ..::loc... 2012/06/30 04:45:13
    Eyes See Wide North
    +2
    I was unemployed for 2 years and homeless for some time, I run nightlcubs, aswell as promoting and managing bands now.

Not my fault no one would employ me, I had to make my own job. Not everyone as lucky as me though
  • Changeling 2012/06/29 23:57:32
    Changeling
    +1
    I'd hope they were looking for a job.
  • Junior the Outer Space Musi... 2012/06/29 23:56:15
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    I never thought that mattered. I hope we haven't grown that shallow.
  • dekecds 2012/06/29 23:51:43
    dekecds
    Am I dating them or making a business deal? Lots of the answers here assume some kind of financial agreement must go with dating.....you don't got money, well, you just don't date until someone asks you out. Then it's ok! (Just tell em' up front so they don't screw you on a dutch treat)

2014/12/19 20:59:15