Would you be upset to learn you had eaten horsemeat?

L.A. Times 2013/02/25 17:00:00
Burger King, Nestle, Tesco and now Ikea – the European horse meat scandal that has heightened food supply concerns for the last month has now reached the furniture giant’s famed Swedish meatballs.

Inspectors in the Czech Republic said Monday that they found equine evidence in the chain’s frozen meatballs. The affected product was sold as a packaged beef and pork item in more than a dozen European countries but not in the U.S.

The Czech State Veterinary Administration confirmed on its website that samples of the meatballs, which are made in Sweden, contained horse DNA. Shipments of the meatballs have been suspended, according to the agency, which said it sent its findings to European Union authorities.

horse dna shipments meatballs suspended agency findings european union authorities

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-ike...

• just some random guy 2013/04/18 11:52:02
  • T. James H 2013/03/26 01:11:18
  • Brian Decker 2013/03/14 01:32:43
    Brian Decker
    The ancient mongolians ate horse all the time! And look what they accomplished!! They conquered an empire twice the size of Alexander the Great's.
  • Patti The Yes Fan 2013/03/05 21:52:19 (edited)
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    The real deception is the FALSE labels. So yes if I thought I was buying beef but found it was horse meat, I would be upset. This is one thing being fought for now in the US. TRUE Labels on our food. No mystery meat please.

label FOOD honestly

Whats next? Soylent Green?

Soilent Green the movie
  • Joachim 2013/03/04 01:54:47
    Joachim
    I'm vegan
  • ¤Creepy Lumberjack¤ >-QC-< 2013/03/03 08:32:56
    ¤Creepy Lumberjack¤ >-QC-<
    I think that what people didn't like isn't that much that they ate horse meat, but the fact that they were lied to into believing it was beef. It's not that much the type of animal that disappointed them but more the dishonesty.
  • nerak611 2013/03/03 04:35:17
    nerak611
    I wouldn't be able to get, 'Mr. Ed', out of my head. :( That would upset me. Deceitfully serving me something else other than what I ordered, would not make me a 'happy camper'.
  • Georgia50 2013/03/01 19:37:54 (edited)
    Georgia50
    No. I'm upset that the Europeans think it's ok to deceive their consumers with horse meat yet they refuse to import US beef.

I work for a European firm. When the big wigs come over for a visist, the first type of restaurant they patronize is a steak house. They love US steak--not least because there's nothing like it in Europe.

I am reserving my anger for the day I order caviar at $1,600 an ounce and get a bowl of frog eggs instead.
  • paramoo 2013/03/01 16:55:28
    paramoo
    +1
    horses are not meant to be eaten ...
  • Ron Hanforth 2013/03/01 16:52:27
    Ron Hanforth
    +2
    Naa-aay
  • hagerthehorrible 2013/03/01 07:12:42
    hagerthehorrible
    +1
    I have eaten horse before. The real problem here is that they are telling you It is beef, but It's not all beef. What else are they trying to pass off as beef?
  • Gwen 2013/03/01 05:05:35
    Gwen
    +2
    But I would be upset if it was "The Famous Mr. Ed" mr ed
  • Josh Robinson 2013/02/28 22:01:14
  • Ian 2013/02/28 19:45:44
    Ian
    There should have been another choise, i have tried horse meat in France and some other countries and found it tasty, so i do not think i would be pissed off because i ate horse.
    I would be upset if i paid for a beef dish and was served horse.
  • Reverend von AME 2013/02/28 18:26:02
    Reverend von AME
    I once had a horsemeat steak, it was the most horrible thing I've tasted in my life. Although I know there are people who'd say it otherwise. The problems with this horsemeat scandal can be these two - 01/ Have you been informed that the product you were buying/eating has in fact, 29%* of horsemeat.?(* the percentage of horsemeat found in Tesco 'beef' burgers) 02/ Are these horses 'safe' to eat.? Were they not race horses.?

Neither of those questions got 'Yes' in Tesco(and other supermarket chains)'s case. The suppliers(of the 'beef' burgers) must have been contracted with countless restaurants/food chains for sure. It is also found that a lot of the horsemeat they were putting in to make beef burgers, was sourced from racehorses that were usually illegally drugged which can cause cancer if consumed by humans. Of course, it's not safe to eat. One of the products contained(or was contaminated) horsemeat was labelled as '100% beef burgers', which turned out to be a complete lie. None of them had informed consumers that more than a quarter of their burgers were in fact, horsemeat.

So, no, the problem in this situation is not that they sold horsemeat as human food. Of course you can eat horses. You can also eat dogs, cats, mice, frogs, anything that has bones and meat. The eth...

So, no, the problem in this situation is not that they sold horsemeat as human food. Of course you can eat horses. You can also eat dogs, cats, mice, frogs, anything that has bones and meat. The ethical question whether you should or should not eat horses(or any other than beef/pork/lamb/poultry) should be left to individuals to decide. Question is: would you go and buy burgers if they were labelled as 'horsemeat', when you have beef burgers next to them.? And knowing those horsemeat burgers might contain racehorse meat, which 'might' be contaminated with drugs.? I don't know about other folk, but I know I'll say a big NO.
  • Lerro DeHazel 2013/02/28 17:02:36
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    I would even be a lot more upset to discover that a Funiture Store is in the Meatball Market . . .
  • hagerth... Lerro D... 2013/03/01 07:15:06
    hagerthehorrible
    Amen! Why would you go to à furniture store for food? That makes no sense.
  • Commander Pyle 2013/02/28 16:51:12 (edited)
    Commander Pyle
    Horse meat is still meat. Same as dog, and whatever other flesh can be torn off an animal. However, I would be upset if I ordered horse meat and received dog meat instead. Horse meatballs are a strange thing. Not sure how I'd take that. I'd probably complain as well since I wasn't informed before the fact. Last I checked neither pigs or cows are considered equines.
  • Kitty 2013/02/28 13:11:47
    Kitty
    Not at all. They don't eat meat and are much cleaner than pigs, or even cows for that matter - notice the backs of cow legs are all covered in kaka most of the time. I'm sure horsemeat would taste good and it's a shame not to make use of it.
  • Playerazzi 2013/02/28 12:26:18
    Playerazzi
    +1
    ... and in my case it would cause for a civil suit, as I only eat kosher meat. If the meat I bought said "kosher" and it had horse meat in it, there will be a major major battle.
  • Augure3VI Playerazzi 2013/03/01 00:20:14
  • Kitty Augure3VI 2013/03/01 19:11:45
    Kitty
    +1
    Maybe because of the hooves not being cloven - idk.
  • Playerazzi Augure3VI 2013/03/03 09:32:41
    Playerazzi
    See Leviticus Ch.11
  • Augure3VI Playerazzi 2013/03/03 09:58:58
  • Playerazzi Augure3VI 2013/03/04 12:20:46
    Playerazzi
    It's a spiritual thing.
  • Augure3VI Playerazzi 2013/03/04 12:22:24
  • D D 2013/02/28 11:49:49
    D D
    Yes.
  • Nudenz 2013/02/28 10:58:13
    Nudenz
    +1
    I prefer my meat off a cow, sheep or chicken.
    Horses are for riding or plowing not for eating.
  • timothy.hill.14 2013/02/28 07:37:41
    timothy.hill.14
    +2
    No. After having served in the military and eaten whatever goes into THAT food (not to mention MRE"S lol) I wouldn't be upset. I do think that much needs to be done to protect food and have it be more transparent about what goes into what.
  • strawberry 2013/02/28 07:12:39
    strawberry
    +2
    Horse meat would not be the worst food to eat, but I sure would like to have my choice in advance. I cannot picture killing beautiful horses for food.
  • Kitty strawberry 2013/02/28 13:06:36
    Kitty
    They slaughter horses anyway and make glue.
  • hagerth... Kitty 2013/03/01 07:18:22
    hagerthehorrible
    +2
    Not anymore they don't. They haven't for quite some time now. Glue is mostly synthetic now.
  • Kitty hagerth... 2013/03/01 19:06:36
    Kitty
    thanks - didn't know about the glue. But they still slaughter horses so is a shame for the meat to go to waste - I don't think they even use it for pet food - not sure about that though, but I've never seen any mention of it on the labels.
  • Not A C... strawberry 2013/03/01 12:02:51 (edited)
    Not A Crybaby Richard <3Freedom!
    +1
    And you only eat Cows, Chicken and Pigs because they're "ugly"?
  • Kitty Not A C... 2013/03/01 19:08:49
    Kitty
    +2
    Awww!! How can you say those dear things are ugly. Cows with those great big sad eyes looking at you. Little piglets are SO cute, adults not so much,, but pot bellied pigs are cute. And baby chicks are just darling. lol
  • strawberry Kitty 2013/03/03 04:17:21
  • Not A C... Kitty 2013/03/03 15:20:07
    Not A Crybaby Richard <3Freedom!
    +1
    I know :3
  • strawberry Not A C... 2013/03/03 04:16:41
    strawberry
    I definitely don't eat pork because pigs are filthy.
  • DeejaySpaniel 2013/02/28 05:36:25
    DeejaySpaniel
    +2
    I would actually LIKE to eat horse meat. I would however be upset in this situation, where the horse meat hasn't gone through an abbitoir and I wasn't aware.
  • The Pale Man 2013/02/28 04:35:20 (edited)
    The Pale Man
    +1
    I really like horses.
    Trying my best to quit meat actually.

2014/10/24 13:36:22