Would you be angered to find out that your child was in a relationship with a person of a different race?

Marissa Yami 2012/05/10 19:15:51
I have heard many times that parents say, "If my child was ever in a relationship with someone of a different race, I would disown them"

Well, I'm curious. How many of you would be angered to find out your child was dating a person of a different race?

I personally wouldn't mind.

• FortunaVeritas 2012/06/19 02:23:55
    No, it wouldn't matter. Love is still love.
    FortunaVeritas
    +1
    I'd care more about whether I could stand them, and if I had failed to impart good values to my children about not dating nogoodniks, than about the color of the skin of their partner.
  • Mother nature is biased 2012/05/16 21:42:34
    Yes, I don't see why they should date someone of a different race.
    Mother nature is biased
    Since they can only reproduce with the human race, it seems a bit odd that they would.
  • Mejink 2012/05/11 19:21:36 (edited)
    Mejink
    +2
    Wow, no! I am a white woman whose boyfriend is African American and my family accepts him whole-heartedly. He is amazing!

I have heard that some people in his family may be racist. His birth family (he was adopted) may have racist people in it, but since they have aged they are not so narrow-minded, however, one must consider that it wasn't that long ago that whites hung African Americans for no reason and this was socially acceptable in America. Murderers are still free today who were never persecuted for their crimes of hate.

His adopted family, which is white, also has some racist people in it. Needless to say, he is not in communication with those folk.

I've never understood racism. My boyfriend and I are so alike, in philosophy, in our dreams for what we want for the future, separately and together (so important!), in the way we've been hurt and walked on by other people, in what we find funny, entertaining, intriguing, or even sexually stimulating, and also, in the way we love. We've said we are the same person, with the same spirit. We are soul-mates. Neither of us believe in marriage but he is my husband in spirit.

The only thing different? Our skin colors. No, I don't think it matters.
  • Rural Charmer 2012/05/11 10:34:11
    Rural Charmer
    +1
    Only in America
  • Marissa... Rural C... 2012/05/11 15:35:30
    Marissa Yami
    Thanks for the vote and comment!
  • Venus in Furs 2012/05/11 03:05:37
    Venus in Furs
    +1
    Why does race matter? Love & respect are all that are important to me. If my kid, if I had one, dated someone of another race, I honestly wouldn't give a damn. I would just want them to be happy with whomever they were with, that would be my biggest concern.
  • Marissa... Venus i... 2012/05/11 03:20:52
    Marissa Yami
    +1
    Today, a lot of people care. For reasons I have no clue about.
    But, that is a good to teach your child :)
    Thanks for the vote and comment!
  • The River Rat 2012/05/11 02:06:44
    The River Rat
    You sure seem hung up on this race thing.
  • Marissa... The Riv... 2012/05/11 02:12:42 (edited)
    Marissa Yami
    No, just curious of others opinions.
    Strongly opinionated is what I call it.
    Thanks for the vote and comment!
  • +Harmonious Love+ 2012/05/11 01:55:45
  • Marissa... +Harmon... 2012/05/11 02:06:10
    Marissa Yami
    +1
    As slightly true as that is(since the parents won't always be in the child's life) while the kid/teen is living with the parents it is their rules underneath their roof.
    Unless you would risk sneaking around.
    Thanks for the vote and comment!
  • lokey 2012/05/11 01:52:41
    lokey
    +1
    i think dating someone of a different race is cool and no one should be judged for that. but as for myself personally i would date someone of a different race... buut sadly i think i'd only want to settle down with someone that was the same as me -_- i know it's stupid but i guess i'm not as open minded as i thought
  • Marissa... lokey 2012/05/11 02:06:21
    Marissa Yami
    +1
    I know how you are, I used to want to settle down with a Native... Now, I just couldn't care less. Lol
    Thanks for the vote and comment!
  • Rebel Yell 2012/05/10 20:15:23
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    My kids have friends of different races. It doesn't bother me at all. They are often here at our house. I think diversity is great. They are still young but if at some point they enter into a relationship with another race, it won't matter as long as that person is of good character and has moral fiber.
  • Marissa... Rebel Yell 2012/05/10 20:19:21
    Marissa Yami
    +1
    Completely agree :)
    Thank you for the vote and comment!
  • ConservativeMom 2012/05/10 20:02:14
    ConservativeMom
    +1
    When I was a child, there wasn't too much inter-racial dating/marriage. In fact, I didn't even know it happened (being from the south) until I went overseas. Needless to say, it was a shocker at first (just being honest!) But, I have grown and with age comes wisdom (I hope) and have learned that race really doesn't matter. Yes, some things are said by all races that make it hard, but if you have the same belief system and love, then you can get through it. It makes it a little harder on the inter-racial couple, but if they know what they are going into, it makes the struggle easier. I used to think that white could only marry white, black marry black, etc, but as I read the Bible more thoroughly, I realized there were inter-racial marriages in it. And God didn't strike them dead! lol... As with any relationship, go in with your eyes open is what I have told my kids.
  • Marissa... Conserv... 2012/05/10 20:09:16
    Marissa Yami
    You sound like a wise parent.
    I am too from the south.... Well, Texas.
    Not many interracial couples there.
    Though regardless of that, my mother (since I am mixed races) has told me, it doesn't matter. I'm very glad to hear that you read the bible and that you believe that way, most who believe in the bible don't really understand much.
    So yes, with age obviously comes wisdom. Take it from me, even though I'm only sixteen.
    You sound like you teach your children well :)
    Thank you for the vote and comment!
  • Conserv... Marissa... 2012/05/10 20:16:32
    ConservativeMom
    +1
    You are welcome, young Lady....You seem like a sweet young Lady and your Mom seems to have done a pretty good job. I also, am from Texas and that is pretty far south! lol... I wish you all the best! :)
  • Conserv... Marissa... 2012/05/10 20:17:40
    ConservativeMom
    +1
    Oh, and thank you for your kind comments. :)
  • Marissa... Conserv... 2012/05/10 20:24:15
    Marissa Yami
    +1
    You're welcome and thank you for your kind comments as-well :)
  • sockpuppet 2012/05/10 19:47:13
    sockpuppet
    +1
    It would depend on what the person was like, I guess. Don't want to crank out a houseful of bi-racial babies, all with different fathers. XD
  • Marissa... sockpuppet 2012/05/10 19:53:04
    Marissa Yami
    +1
    Lol, I know what you mean.
    But, I meant if they were together for awhile.
    Not multiple baby daddies, lol.
    But, I see what you mean.
    Thank you for the vote and comment.
  • sockpuppet Marissa... 2012/05/11 13:59:03
    sockpuppet
    +1
    Then, sure-- if he/she was a good person, that's all that matters. :O)
  • Marissa... sockpuppet 2012/05/11 15:36:08
    Marissa Yami
    +1
    Agreed :)
  • Cuppajo 2012/05/10 19:31:56
    Cuppajo
    +1
    No, but I would explain to my kid about some problems they can expect from the "tolerant" people in this world.
  • Marissa... Cuppajo 2012/05/10 19:40:55
    Marissa Yami
    +1
    That's good to do, especially if they are just getting into dating.
    My parents never explained that kind of stuff to me.
    My mother always told me love has no race, no color.
    So, I date any race. I do hear and see a lot of hatred that comes along with it.
    It used to get on my nerves because I was never told or "taught" how to handle it.
    Now, I just brush it off.
    But, that sounds like a good parenting choice.
    Thank you for the vote and comment!

2014/12/22 01:28:50