Would You Agree to a Relationship Contract?

Last week, we gave you the scoop on Mark Zuckerberg's new bride, Priscilla Chan. But we neglected to mention that she supposedly agreed to a "relationship contract."

According to the book "The Facebook Effect," Zuckerberg, 28, agreed to spend at least 100 minutes of private time with Chan, 27, each week, as well as take her on at least one date. They also agreed to vacation for two weeks yearly overseas.

So, is making such a "deal" a good idea? A blogger for dating site howaboutwe.com thinks so, writing: "Dating an eccentric billionaire seems like it’s probably no cake-walk, but Priscilla has obviously done a good job of making sure their relationship remains a priority for the Facebook founder. 100 minutes is less than two hours, but even that can seem like a godsend when you’re dating someone who is just really, really busy."

It's unclear whether the couple agreed to this deal verbally or whether they actually signed papers. But the howaboutwe writer thinks we could all take a page out of the Facebook founder's book:

"Personally, I’m pretty pro agreements or pacts within a relationship. It could be about anything, from the frequency of sex, to the divying up of household chores, to where you spend holidays together as a couple. It may seem unromantic to mandate rules, but having a clear set of expectations for both partners makes it easy to ensure that needs are being met." Do you agree?

• Aksana 2012/05/30 06:50:06
    Aksana
    nay
  • edlie 2012/05/30 06:31:08
    edlie
    so as to avoid too much misunderstandings but i only agree and i don't prefer to do so!xD
  • AskZilla 2012/05/30 06:14:36
    AskZilla
    They already exist. It's called marriage (contract).
  • TKramar AskZilla 2012/05/30 08:52:01
    TKramar
    But that one can be terminated by one of the parties without agreement by the other party.
  • jerry.a... TKramar 2012/05/30 10:03:31
    jerry.alan.carroll
    depends on where you live. I married a Japanese national and law here states that the divorce must have two willing parties unless one does not fulfill the needs of the other such as by support, sexual relations and some others. Mitigating circumstances can arise that allow a one sided divorce by but those have to do with breaking the law. In the US a woman can say I want a divorce and bring up BS excuses just to get half. Sad world.
    too easy to get a divorce in America...makes me wonder if America is full of a bunch of quitters.
  • TKramar jerry.a... 2012/05/30 11:19:59
    TKramar
    Granted, I'm only familiar with marriage and divorce here in the U.S.
  • jerry.a... TKramar 2012/05/30 13:49:30
    jerry.alan.carroll
    that's cool, just wanted to open your eyes a bit.been here almost half my life....quite the eye opener as to how bad things in the US have gotten.
  • AskZilla TKramar 2012/05/31 09:44:49
    AskZilla
    Are you sure about that? Don't both have to sign divorce papers in order to finalize the divorce?
  • TKramar AskZilla 2012/05/31 10:55:01 (edited)
    TKramar
    Not really. To wit, there is a type of divorce you can file known as divorce by publication, where you advertise your desire for dissolution in the legal advertisements in your local newspaper, used particularly in cases where one spouse's whereabouts are unknown by the spouse that desires the divorce.

Also, consider the fact that saying in open court, "I don't f-ing think so." is not going to keep a judge from granting the other parties' desire for a divorce. Refusal to sign the document also does not block any desired divorce.
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/30 06:12:18
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +2
    IT'S SILLY! TRUE LOVE NEEDS NO CONTRACT! I MARRIED MY MAN 31

YEARS, WE BOTH ARE STILL IN LOVE! WE NEVER HAD ANY CONTRACT!
  • American Nate 2012/05/30 05:02:33
    American Nate
    +1
    All rich people do that to prevent marrying people that just want your money and leave.
  • lexi<33 2012/05/30 04:40:29
  • Anna 2012/05/30 04:30:18
    Anna
    +2
    I think it's the wording throwing most people off. They did what most couples (should) do, they laid out their boundaries and what they want out of a relationship. She just said "Hey, I know you're going to be busy, just leave some time for me." She just happened to say it in very specific terms, terms that make it easier for busy, business minded people to follow.
  • GLaDOS 2012/05/30 04:16:10
    GLaDOS
    +1
    Sounds like a pre-nup, to me.
  • Karl 2012/05/30 04:08:05
    Karl
    +1
    Regardless of whether this is true or not, even if he was required to spend time with her and take her out for a date, it doesn't mean that they would enjoy themselves.
  • Jess 2012/05/30 04:08:04
    Jess
    +1
    I wouldn't because the things that would be in one shouldn't be written on paper and set in stone like it's some kind of job to follow. A couple should go out on a date because they want to and they're feeling up for it. Not because it's on paper.

How can you contract something like the things listed? It's like making promises you can't keep because life gets in the way. A certain time and amount of hours for certain things is a joke. It's impossible to agree to certain things happening weekly or whatever. Again, life gets in the way. Sickeness gets in the way. Other family member obligations could get in the way. Their "date" night might end up having to happen 10 days later instead of 7 days later. What is that saying? Someone laughs when you make "plans"? Yeah, that. 100 minutes a week? Are they actually going to time each session? LOL. Hitting the timer on their watch, Ipod, computers, whatever.. is going to get old..fast.
  • Kara ~~~ American Patriot 2012/05/30 03:39:00
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    It depends on the circumstances.
  • crazy:) 2012/05/30 03:25:25
    crazy:)
    +2
    since when do u need a "relationship contract"? would i ever sign one nope haha i dont like being told what im going to do and how im going to do it much less what im going to up hold too!
  • Fef 2012/05/30 02:22:39
    Fef
    +6
    Anything for a happy home.
    happy home
  • justnotsaying (: 2012/05/30 02:16:03
    justnotsaying (:
    +2
    All I would ask of the guy I'm seeing is to never question my whereabouts, and don't request a lot of my time or attention. I don't need a contract for that.
  • Kigan 2012/05/30 02:11:09
    Kigan
    +3
    If I don't trust a person enough and/or don't have faith that we will be able to fulfill each other in a relationship without use of a contract to keep us in line - chances are I'm not going to marry the person to begin with.
  • ★misfit★ 2012/05/30 01:55:08
    ★misfit★
    +12
    Reminds me of...
  • ♥ Amy ♥... ★misfit★ 2012/05/30 02:42:41
    ♥ Amy ♥ Is Home♥
    +4
    Bonus Rave, Thats the first thing I thought of lmao
  • MIRANDD... ♥ Amy ♥... 2012/05/30 21:07:41
    MIRANDDAAA :)
    +1
    That's the first thing I thought of too!
  • ZERO ★misfit★ 2012/06/01 04:33:25
    ZERO
    Ah, you captured a neat example of 'behavior placement' on tv. Notice the flu shot reference? They could have mentioned holding hands while getting a needle, but they said flu shot. That wasn't an accident, it was subliminal manipulation. http://reason.com/archives/20...
  • Anjali Shah 2012/05/30 01:45:24
    Anjali Shah
    +1
    Would I agree to one? No. Does that mean I think other couples shouldn't? No. For their case, I guess its okay-- he's a frigging BILLIONAIRE... He might need it to keep his priorities straight and stuff.
  • ~Alyssa~ 2012/05/30 01:40:41
    ~Alyssa~
    Thats so stupid...
  • joan.sloane 2012/05/30 01:24:57
    joan.sloane
    +2
    Sorry, I clicked the wrong answer. What I really mean is no.

So what's the point? If you need a contract, it must mean that you don't trust that you can get what you need from them. Is holding a contract over your partners head to keep them in line really the way you want to live?
  • Walter Harris 2012/05/30 01:07:23
    Walter Harris
    +1
    I got married. That means the same woman for the rest of my life.
  • strawberry 2012/05/30 00:54:51
    strawberry
    +2
    Yes, put everything in writing signed and sealed, when it comes to marriages. Have a legal document to fall back on, just make sure it benefits you. Verbal promises and love don't last. Get what you want from the very start. Everything might be gone by the time you divorce.
  • Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/30 00:51:55
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Not a bad idea at all. When I first read the question, I assumed it was a one sided thing for old Zuckerberg's benefit. Seeing how he runs his site, I kind of expected that from him. Good for Priscilla. This is a decent way to map out expectations from one another.
  • jackie 2012/05/30 00:36:36
    jackie
    +5
    She wants him to spend time with her, it doesnt sound like a big deal.
  • strawberry jackie 2012/05/30 00:56:57
    strawberry
    +1
    She should have asked for a lot more.
  • Chris D 2012/05/30 00:21:03
    Chris D
    +1
    you can only blame yourself if it goes wrong!
  • tobe 2012/05/30 00:16:58
    tobe
    +2
    but i would agree to trust. without trust you don't have a relationship.
  • George Jovanovic 2012/05/30 00:03:06
    George Jovanovic
    +1
    It used t be called marriage certificat.
  • Whatsername 2012/05/29 23:59:56
    Whatsername
    +1
    things should happen as surprises, but they should still be often. and when you have something laid out like that, it's going to get boring eventually
  • JohnT 2012/05/29 23:57:08
    JohnT
    +1
    No but than again I don't have a dime. I think it was smart. I am very much in favor of prenups enough of getting hosed by the famous California community property laws. Ten seconds after they are married here, it is community property, that is most assuredly unfair to either side.
  • Miko Mikomiko 2012/05/29 23:42:06
    Miko Mikomiko
    +2
    What? Whatever happened to having a spontaneous relationship? Rules, contracts, agreements it's like living in a cage.
  • Mother nature is biased 2012/05/29 23:04:48
    Mother nature is biased
    +2
    It's completely meaningless legally....and 'when' she divorces him we will all see exactly how meaningless it is.

2014/10/23 06:39:39