Would Uniforms In Public Schools Be A Good or Bad Thing?

Astro-Boy PHAET 2010/05/12 22:33:47
Does it take away individuality or Level The Fashion Line. Inquiring Minds Want to know!

individuality level fashion line inquiring minds

• Jehnyhal~ Hope Not Hate~the... 2010/05/12 22:36:55
    Good
    Jehnyhal~ Hope Not Hate~the Renaissance Women of PHAET
    +15
    We have them. No competition that way. Kids don't feel inadequate if their parents can't/won't cater to whatever is fashionable. It was evident things like that took place when we had no-uniform days.

• ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2010/06/05 05:34:22
    Bad
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    I like having a freedom of expretion
  • Cat 2010/06/03 01:31:42
    Good
    Cat
    i think that its good because less conflict and andwhat not, but also it takes away are uniqness(individuality) plus depending on the uniform some people may not be comfortable in them....
  • Change Happens 2010/05/20 18:47:21
    Good
    Change Happens
    Great question.

Saves parent money. No question about who is wearing what to school. All dress alike...sorta...and from rich to poor...everyone looks the same...well similar.

This is a society that THRIVES on competition...so even if everyone is MANDATED to wear the same thing....difference...price of goods, cut, style...any number of things..will dictate the norm.
  • Lucy loves GIR 2010/05/19 01:07:36
    Bad
    Lucy loves GIR
    bleh we need to be indivdualists and express ourselve
  • Bob™ the Union Ironworker 2010/05/17 18:21:10
    Good
    Bob™ the Union Ironworker
    +1
    I wore a uniform from 2 until 12th grade. In high school, we wore a Jacket and tie. I nver experienced jeans in school until college. You can always find ways to stand out,
  • Lurch 2010/05/17 17:57:08
    Good
    Lurch
    Put the focus back on education, not fashion, popularity, and all that other crap. Too many distractions as it is for kids these days.
  • Brosia 2010/05/17 14:29:00
    Good
    Brosia
    +1
    I have seen some uniforms that are not that bad. Khaki pants, shorts, or skirts, and white polo shirts with blue sweaters. Not horrible. Still have the ability to personalize the outfit (pant style, shirt bagginess, shoe style), but you have the ease of dressing that uniforms provide.
  • PDenoli 2010/05/17 14:11:36
    Good
    PDenoli
    Seems to be working out for Japan.

• Blix 2010/05/17 05:59:04
    Good
    Blix
    Why not just let the Kinder take a vote on it in their schools?
    Let them decide it for themselves.
  • Torchy 2010/05/17 01:07:02
    Bad
    Torchy
    Kids are cruel and will find ways to pick on others and establish a pecking order with or without a uniform, so you might as well give them a medium to express themselves.
  • David - a nudist 2010/05/16 20:59:23
  • Catita David -... 2010/05/17 01:16:47
    Catita
    +1
    make a point? and what point is that? nakedness is better than uniforms?
    are you serious?
  • PDenoli David -... 2010/05/17 14:12:45
    PDenoli
    You need to post a picture of naked kids to make a point? You've might not be making the point you think you are....
  • xMCRx 2010/05/16 20:15:15
    Bad
    xMCRx
    we have uniforms, and the school is always telling us to be 'individual' and not to listen to others, yet we have rules that say 'no makeup', no unnatural hair colours, no plimsoles/trainers/convers, 'proper shoes only' WHAT IS A PROPER SHOE? I don't know about you, but on non-uniform days, we are all happiest and nobody is competing for the best outfit unless they are incredibly sad. We just like to wear comfortable clothes. I don't like being the same as everyone else! I feel like a robot. Sorry, im ranting. Yeah. Uniform=bad =)
  • kittymewmew 2010/05/16 20:00:02 (edited)
    Good
    kittymewmew
    i go to a public school and we are required to wear uniforms..every school in my city whether private or public is required to wear uniforms but it doesnt do any damage..I kinda miss wearing whatever i wanted though...
  • Tak and the Power of Jujubear 2010/05/16 19:59:02
    Bad
    Tak and the Power of Jujubear
    +1
    BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would die!!!! how do expect us to express ourselves!!!!!!!!! i mean as long as were not wearing soemthing extremely innapropriate it doesnt matter! im gonna wear wat ever i want and those old ppl can deal with it . . . .but if i ever did hav to wear a uniform . . .well . . . i would prob get a detention at least everyday xD . . .im such a rebel! haha jk . . kinda
  • American_teen 2010/05/16 16:27:54
    Bad
    American_teen
    +6
    In my school there are uniforms and all the students hate them! They are really UGLY.. Actually I like wearing uniforms, but not those !! If i can choose my uniform i would wear it with pleasure.. But infact we don't wear our uniforms and the teachers are angry with us :D
  • NatAlex23 2010/05/16 13:58:43
    Bad
    NatAlex23
    +1
    I've experienced both, and honestly there are pros and cons to each. Although, I do believe that children should be able to express themselves, because lord knows that they won't be able to in the real world.
  • Redneck 2010/05/16 12:42:46
    Good
    Redneck
    You can be an individual in a standardized uniform. I've talked about this with my kids. I explained to them that schools purpose is to prepare them for the world of work. When you work, almost all employers expect you to dress a certain way, wheather in an actual uniform or by a standard of dress (i.e. business casual, scrubs, etc.) Schools now let kids wear shorts and flip flops. I I had tried to wear shorts or flip flops to school, I would have been sent home to change. I'm all for school uniforms.
  • randy vaughan 2010/05/16 04:33:30
    Good
    randy vaughan
    any person, young or old (i forgive the young, not the old) who's main ideas of 'self-expression' are through clothes and appearance is shallow (that's why i give the young people the benefit of the doubt)....

BUT

since i was young a very long time ago, and since we're talking about human nature which never changes, here's how it plays out:

we had dress codes, strict, but no uniforms...

but once out of school, we had the chance to 'express our individuality'...and we did!

we all grew out hair long like the beatles and the rolling stones and and we all wore bell-bottoms and we smoked dope and we did it because we wanted to be exactly like everyone else who was wanting to be an 'individual' and show their 'individuality'...

and today it's....what?

piercings and tatooes and this music or that and all because THAT represents the 'individual' *i* want to be like....

plus here's a news flash:

you think you're treated like a 'kid' in school?....wait 'til you enter that so-called 'real world'....then it's all compromise, capitulate, and conform...well, if you want that paycheck...

sorry, but all kidding aside:

you're in school to learn (listen: i know they teach you very little that has any real value in that 'real world')...but the one thing you're going to 'learn,' even t...

BUT

and today it's....what?

plus here's a news flash:

sorry, but all kidding aside:

you're in school to learn (listen: i know they teach you very little that has any real value in that 'real world')...but the one thing you're going to 'learn,' even though you won't realized it until you've 'grown up' (a stupid phrase if ever there was one), is there is NO individuality separate and apart from thinking for yourself and when you're busy dressing and acting like everyone else in order to 'fit in' and because you want to be an 'individual,' you're proving to everyone else that you are not learning, or practicing, HOW to think, only copying WHAT to think...

you wanna rail against something that matters?

stop letting 'old people' blame you, the young people, for the mess the world is in...YOU inherited it but YOU get blamed for it because of your 'music,' the way you 'dress,' blah blah blah....just like my old man blamed the beatles and long hair....

do NOT let anyone get away with blaming you for the disaster that is the world you're inheriting....and you can send 'em my way if they try....
  • Max7 2010/05/16 03:47:07
    Good
    Max7
    It brings balance to the school, and places the children on a level of equality. Some children come from families where wearing the latest styles is no problem, and then there's other children who have a entirely different family setting.
  • Airiseen 2010/05/16 03:25:09 (edited)
    Good
    Airiseen
    Although the students may think it's stupid and seriously constrict them. They actually open up more oppertunities to them.

I can honestly tell you as a student in a uniformed school, that I don't think it retricts induviduality, it helps the induviduality flourish. Because when your not depending on their clothes to make friends, they let their personality show, and they can express their uniquness in other ways, decorating their binder, wearing your hair crazy, wear jewelry.

The firends that I have made at my school I can look past the barrier of brands and cliques to see who my REAL friends are. But of course there are the ones who no matter what will fight the uniforms no matter what. So if schools are planning to implement uniforms, expect major resistance. They will find any and all loopholes there is to find. Believe me, don't expect them to fall in line too quickley. Even after a view years of having uniforms, you will still have those students who oppose any uniforms. But you will also find that when you look at their grades, they just might be better than they were before...

Also, the world has uniforms or dress codes in any descent job you can get out there. Think, when you go to wal-mart, notice they are all wearing the same look. Even at McDonalds they have a uniform! You can;t avoid them, uniforms generally give you a professional appearance.
  • American Nate 2010/05/16 02:55:53
    Bad
    American Nate
    EVER HEARD OF COMMUNISM?

heard communism heard communism
  • Redneck America... 2010/05/16 12:49:55
    Redneck
    +1
    So expecting those who are subordinate to you to dress in a professional manner that projects a sense of organization is communism? Now if your school or employer required you to dress a certain way at home, that would be a different thing.
  • America... Redneck 2010/05/17 00:10:19
    American Nate
    There's a big difference in Public school and work! Public school you have to go to and work you don't.
  • Redneck America... 2010/05/17 03:15:15
    Redneck
    +1
    I skipped school quite often and never got in any real trouble. If I skipped out of work as often as I did school, I wouldn't have to worry about going to work either.
  • America... Redneck 2010/05/18 10:55:17
    American Nate
    My school you did. Offically your school sucked at catching ppl.
  • Redneck America... 2010/05/18 10:58:17
    Redneck
    on my senior year, the second half of the day I had Trade and Industry. We built a house every year. The teacher didn't care if we showed up or not, just so long as we got the house finished before the end of the school year.
  • NObamaG... America... 2010/05/17 18:18:11
    NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~
    You don't HAVE to choose public school. Home schooling is also available.
  • America... NObamaG... 2010/05/18 10:56:00
    American Nate
    Not if your parents aren't good teachers or don't wanna teach.
  • NObamaG... America... 2010/05/18 14:25:43
    NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~
    Actually, there are many online home school programs being offered now that don't require any more involvement from a parent than a normal school would require. And besides, If a parent isn't engaged enough in their kid to make sure they are getting what they consider the best possible education available, then the last thing they should be worried about is a school making a rule that their kids need to wear slacks and polo shirts on the premises.
  • America... NObamaG... 2010/05/20 18:44:38
    American Nate
    It's just dumb, no point.
  • Shigyrl but outspoken on my... 2010/05/16 01:09:27
    Good
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +1
    Because the kids can focus on what really matters and that is getting an education. Their individuality can come out in how they perform academicly or in extra-curricular activities. Most important of all their self-worth is not determined by the labels that are on their clothing. People are valuing each other on other criteria that are far more important. Like who they are as individuals.
  • EVIL MONKEY 2010/05/16 00:47:49
    Bad
    EVIL MONKEY
    I hate school uniforms. I am changing schools next year because my school is getting uniforms. I like freedom of expression, which is included in how you dress.
  • Redneck EVIL MO... 2010/05/16 12:51:24
    Redneck
    +1
    freedom of expression? like being allowed to dress like everyone else? You can express yourself at home. What are you going to do when you have to get a job and your employer requires you to dress a certain way?
  • Blackbolt 2010/05/15 23:16:12
    Bad
    Blackbolt
    If you want to wear uniforms, go to private school. It would be ok, I guess. But kids would hate it.
  • Saki♥Bill'sSweetHeart♥ 2010/05/15 21:27:36
    Good
    Saki♥Bill'sSweetHeart♥
    I wish my school had uniforms.
    It'd make mornings so much easier xD
  • NarcolepticGoat 2010/05/15 21:19:15
    Good
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    I wore uniforms at schools and in the army. Soldiers are some of the most fiercely individualistic people I know.

Uniforms mean you have to *be* an individual instead of trying to fake it with clothing.

Plus it really makes it easier to decide what to wear in the morning.
  • emmy_kerl 2010/05/15 21:13:33
    Bad
    emmy_kerl
    BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... NO WAY clothes show who you are. clothes

Such as this puddy tat
  • Redneck emmy_kerl 2010/05/16 12:52:37
    Redneck
    If you are defined by what you wear, then you really need to work on your personality or something.

2014/11/21 16:40:54