Would Tyra Banks Be Considered 'Too Heavy' to Be a Model Today?

Tyra Banks has transformed her modeling success into an impressive career spanning fashion and TV. But if she were getting her start today, looking like she did as a teenager, she says she'd be considered too fat to get hired. Find out what her mom had to say about it at 1:10 in the video below!

In an open letter congratulating Vogue for its recent decision to ban "too skinny" models, Tyra writes in The Daily Beast: "Many of you have graciously said that you want to have the same type of career that I’ve had....But the truth is that if I was just starting to model at age 17 in 2012, I could not have had the career that I did. I would’ve been considered too heavy. In my time, the average model’s size was a four or six. Today you are expected to be a size zero."

"In my early 20s I was a size four," she writes. "But then I started to get curvy. My agency gave my mom a list of designers that didn’t want to book me in their fashion shows anymore. In order to continue working, I would’ve had to fight Mother Nature and get used to depriving myself of nutrition.

"As my mom wiped the tears from my face, she said, 'Tyra, you know what we’re going to do about this? We’re going to go eat pizza.' We sat in a tiny pizzeria in Milan and strategized about how to turn my curves into a curveball. In a way, it was my decision not to starve myself that turned me into a supermodel, and later on, a businesswoman." Do you think young Tyra would be considered "too heavy" to be a model today?

• teckila 2012/05/18 21:57:29
    teckila
    +1
    But maybe soon women will have to weight less than 20 pounds...
  • daize teckila 2012/05/19 02:18:01
    daize
    Ikr knowing society. every girl wants to weigh less when someone says they look fat and that's where anorexic girls come in
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/05/18 21:49:42
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    Maybe, but I always found her quite attractive! Even now that she has aged and filled out a bit, she ain't half bad! ;)
  • Rio 2012/05/18 21:42:35
    Rio
    +3
    I think she is beautiful- unfortunately industry standards look for that walking clothes hanger. One thing which i see happening is the image of the thin sickly girl being not as accepted. There is hope that the world will see us women for that which we have to offer, and not what we look like in designer clothes. Can i get an amen, sistas?
  • ontinashi 2012/05/18 21:42:08
    ontinashi
    +3
    Some of these models look to thin to be considered alive =.=
  • Anna Mannino 2012/05/18 21:31:42
    Anna Mannino
    +1
    Models today are toothpicks, even compared to Tyra. She's just too booty-licious, and actually eats healthy, there's no way she'd be a model.
  • Izzy 2012/05/18 21:14:03
    Izzy
    +1
    She's not even "plus size" like what the hell. She's got flesh. Which is normal.
  • Lissie 2012/05/18 20:50:17
    Lissie
    Whether we think she's fat or not is irrelevant. The question is whether she's too big to be a model today, and the answer is yes. Models today must be a size 0 or 2, not 4-6. Is that right? Maybe not, but it is what it is.
  • Xitlalilolly 2012/05/18 20:41:37
    Xitlalilolly
    +1
    i love the fact that she promotes campaings about being plus sized.. you dnt have to be thin to model.
  • Donn Wright 2012/05/18 20:35:41 (edited)
    Donn Wright
    +2
    This is just stupid. Somewhere along the line, the fashion industry decided that a model has to look anorexic to qualify.

The problem is, they never discussed that opinion with anybody in the "real" world to see if they agreed. There have been probably millions of women who have destroyed their health and self-esteem trying to live up to role models that are totally unnatural and unhealthy.

IMHO, the idiots should be shot. I can't speak for anyone else, but I want to see some meat on those bones! Some of these gals look like they have been in isolation cells on bread and water for 6 months. Yuck!

I'll take curves any day, thank you very much!

P.S. I think Tyra is hotter now than she was in her "prime".
  • Vitalani 2012/05/18 20:04:31
    Vitalani
    Seriously?
  • GiuliettaTomolei 2012/05/18 19:56:01
    GiuliettaTomolei
    Yes, unfortunately. It's not right, but designers apparently think that everyone should be miniscule to be allowed to wear their designs.
  • Brenda 2012/05/18 19:48:56
    Brenda
    +2
    Tyra is what real models are made of. She is not fat, by the way. Those anorexic looking people are so not real.
  • junebuggingjustinviernes 2012/05/18 19:44:10
    junebuggingjustinviernes
    +2
    if society can't learn to love the curvy women, then society needs to wake up and realize that everyone is unique and different.
  • Seanna Harrison 2012/05/18 19:37:39
    Seanna Harrison
    In today's fashion industry, she would be considered too big. Unfortunate, but true.
  • Bigbrowneyes 2012/05/18 19:24:42
    Bigbrowneyes
    +2
    She is considered so. But it shouldn't be that way.

Haha, I think modeling should get personal with health, not just ban the ones with "too-low" BMIs.One of the main indications of health for a woman is that she gets her period every month. Of course, there could be other reasons behind a missed period, but that is how most women know they are getting too skinny.
  • samanth... Bigbrow... 2012/05/18 19:32:35
    samantha363610
    +1
    So wait, if a girl starts missing months of her period it means shes getting to skinny? Jw. I miss alot of months and ive always wondered why
  • dani samanth... 2012/05/18 19:44:17
    dani
    +1
    Anorexic girls dont get their periods. It could be because you dont get enough nutrition.
  • Bigbrow... samanth... 2012/05/18 21:24:23
    Bigbrowneyes
    It's one of a couple possibilities for a missed period. It's worth getting checked out if you're in a healthy weight range. But in my experience, I started to lose my period when I lost too much weight.
  • rosesvengeance BN-0 2012/05/18 19:24:07
    rosesvengeance BN-0
    +2
    well at least she shouldn't be. She is beautiful and skinny in my opinion.
  • SOUL4REAL 2012/05/18 19:01:37
    SOUL4REAL
    +1
    Today, all women want to have some meat on their bones with some curves. I think Tyra Banks have a beautiful body and look good in her swinsuits and clothes. Why you think she's the producer of "Top Model"? Tyra Banks knows the business of bodies and make-up! No, she is not to heavy to model.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/05/18 18:45:56
  • macy 2012/05/18 18:41:12
    macy
    +1
    She's a perfectly normal size, most people are bigger...I mean, having bones showing everywhere might be "high fashion" but it's not pretty and it just makes people anorexic because they want to look like that. I mean, I'm underweight (not my fault) but still too "big" to model, not to mention too short.
  • Lanikai 2012/05/18 18:38:04
    +1
    But if she is bigger than a size 8 (standard American) she would be considered plus size.

Sad but true, the average American is a size 8 to 12, but models are all size 0.
  • Marie 2012/05/18 18:28:12
    Marie
    +1
    no she is perfect! i know its for fun..but little things like this make me wonder, is society really all about looking good???
  • Sydney.nightshade 2012/05/18 18:23:06
    Sydney.nightshade
    +1
    So because someone is at a healthy weight instead of a emaciated looking twig, they shouldn't be a model?
  • Christopher Brady 2012/05/18 18:18:34
    Christopher Brady
    +2
    The fashion industry is insane.
  • MissTypist 2012/05/18 18:11:29
    MissTypist
    +1
    No way!
    She is not even big. Stuff like this pressurises the younger generations of girls, and sometimes boys as well, to become thinner. It's no wonder that the amount of people with anorexia has increased - it's because of stories like this and the stick-thin models in magazines and on television....
  • becky 2012/05/18 17:59:08
    becky
    +1
    wtf no?? It's pathedic that anythimg bigger than a four is so heavy. Think of what your teaching young girls. Pathedic
  • BloodWineTears 2012/05/18 17:53:37
    BloodWineTears
    +2
    I think Tyra looks amazing. She's what a healthy, real woman who works out (because yes, I would call her thin.) looks like. She's not like the anorexic sticks we see today.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/05/18 17:50:49
    Tennessee3501
    I voted no, but in order to express a more informed opinion, I would be happy to physically examine her with a tape measuring device and report back to SodaHead!
  • robbt1 2012/05/18 17:48:14
    robbt1
    People said Tyra was too "fat" to model when she first broke into the scene. Bet those people brushed their teeth with loaded handguns after Top Model got to season 3.
  • JJ 2012/05/18 17:45:38
    JJ
    What's too heavy in the world of fashion to me are the minds of those that can't seem to relate to how health works. Many of these models are not healthy [ and I'm not talking fat ]. And the modeling world doesn't seem to relate to the fact, not every [ body ] is the same, including bone size. To be healthy you have to look at the individual needs. Everyone is different...not hour glass figures. To be fat or obese is not good either, it weighs heavy on your heart and organs, etc.They really need a health expert with these modeling agencies.
  • Sarah Alexander 2012/05/18 17:41:28 (edited)
    Sarah Alexander
    +1
    She would have been far too big to get any modeling jobs except maybe for plus sized lines or lower level campaigns, not Vogue! She was gorgeous (and still is), but big.

I'm a size 2 (34-22-34) but too big for modeling. I would like to note that sizes change and it's about measurements - even if you have the proper measurements for bust, waist, and hips, you're thighs and arms need to be proper too.
  • starguide 2012/05/18 17:40:50
    starguide
    +1
    no way
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/05/18 17:18:07
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    She is BEAUTIFUL.
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/18 17:16:27
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    She would be a great model,but yes the business wants the smaller girls. But I like her teh way she is. She would have a job with me, if i were in the biz.
  • Aquaduck 2012/05/18 17:10:59
    Aquaduck
    sadly, yes. She's right, nowadays models have to be size 0, and usually underweight, which is ridiculous. The standards for models need to go back to the way it was, size 4-6.
  • John Hall 2012/05/18 16:51:45
    John Hall
    what a beautiful woman.
  • angie45 2012/05/18 16:51:07
    angie45
    she would be perfect ! model...role model, runway model.

2014/08/29 14:24:40