WON'T YOU AGREE THAT THE ROOTS OF THE VIOLENCE ALWAYS REACH BACK TO A PERSON PAST?

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/07/20 14:16:59
Yes, I think that it does reach back into their past.
NO, it don't have anything to do with their past.
Having worked for a few decades as a forensic psychiatrist, evaluating many murderers, I have found that the roots of their violence always reach back to early chapters in their life histories and involve themes of feeling unloved or unwanted, or being overtly exposed to psychological or physical abuse, including bullying. These factors, along with the psychiatric disorders they spawn (including substance dependence), can crush a person’s empathy—“freeing” him or her to commit horrific acts.

• ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/07/20 14:19:12
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +4
    People are a product of their immediate environment, fo sho. Some have been taught superior coping skills (CBT for example) and some haven't. :/

• Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2012/07/20 17:50:15
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    Nope, not JUST the past - however abusive, deprived or depraved - if that were true, EVERY person with a troubled past would become violent. No matter what has happened in one's past, no matter how horrific, it can be overcome. The most terrible past is NO EXCUSE for violence.
    On the other hand, I had a terrific childhood, a loving family, a good education. But if you try to harm me or mine, you will find out the meaning of the term, "double-tap."
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2012/07/20 16:17:09
    Bob, the reasonable one
    I think people will use their past as an excuse to do violent things
  • rand 2012/07/20 15:27:40
    rand
    "Decidedly" this is usually true, but I have seen apparent exceptions and believe it's a mistake to use superlatives like "always". A problem with the analysis lies in the reality that spoiled children sometimes come to react to stress like abused children do.
    yes
  • Andy 2012/07/20 14:42:37
    Andy
    It has to... it can't reach forward to their future?!?!?!?
  • Boris Badinov 2012/07/20 14:42:00
    Boris Badinov
    +3
    The perpetrator is responsible........
  • Southern Man 2012/07/20 14:24:14
    Southern Man
    +1
    Stupid is as Stupid does ..... You are saying you are a forensic psychiatrist ? Really ??
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/07/20 14:19:12
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +4

2014/10/25 03:05:01