Woman Goes 18 Months Without Shaving Armpits: Gross or Great?

If there's one beauty ritual that almost all women partake in, it's shaving their armpits while they're in the shower. But graduate student Emer O'Toole from Dublin decided to examine why she felt she had to be hair-free -- and stopped shaving 18 months ago, The Daily Mail reports.

"I started examining my own relationship with my body, and my body hair," she told "This Morning." She continued, "Why did I feel I had to shave? I thought back to when I first started shaving. When I sprouted hair at 14, I didn't think, 'Will I shave or not?' I just knew I had to shave it off."

Over a year later, O'Toole says she's mostly OK with her armpit and leg hair. "Over the past 18 months, if I've felt awkward in a certain outfit that shows my hairy armpits, I've started to examine where my confidence comes from. If it's my looks, and my self-esteem is linked to that, then I've realized I need to find other sources for that confidence. Your looks aren't with you when you wake up in the morning if you have to put your makeup on first. And they don't stay with you as you age."

And she says guys are totally fine with her fuzzy pits, but women are pretty grossed out by it. Do you think women should feel free to go without shaving their armpits? Or is it a beauty must-do?

• Riobhca 2012/05/04 22:32:37 (edited)
    Great
    Riobhca
    +50
    If that is her preference, so what? If you bathe, you won't smell, hair or not. Sometimes it's good to question societal conventions. Good for her for having the courage to do just that.

Americans are always so quick to judge other cultures. That is what is "gross."

• Figment Robbb 2012/05/06 03:53:55
    Figment
    Well, yeah that's true. I still find it disturbing though. That sounds like a dangerous game.
  • Robbb Figment 2012/05/06 05:21:33
    Robbb
    +2
    Perhaps but there is certainly nothing new about this game. The problem is that the real money is not on the game but on the reality.
  • Farbiger 2012/05/04 22:21:39
    Gross
    Farbiger
    +5
    Guuuurla~ Your armpits look like a forest; like I spy Big Foot up in there! SHAVE WOMAN!

Smh
  • Mrs. Kathy Arch 2012/05/04 22:20:17
    Gross
    Mrs. Kathy Arch
    +3
    Good for her, but I would feel gross!
  • Georgia50 2012/05/04 22:16:47
    Gross
    Georgia50
    +3
    A thousand Bri'ish jokes about the Irish...validated. Gross to stop, and gross never to start.
  • meho 2012/05/04 22:13:00
    Gross
    meho
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/04 22:11:20
    Gross
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Glad she is in a far off country and way too young for me. Therefore I don't have to worry about getting grossed out by it.
  • tweet_tweet 2012/05/04 22:11:08
    Gross
    tweet_tweet
    Oh, I mean great! I'll keep shaving mine though. I prefer shaving it. Moor power to you if you decide not to though.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/05/04 22:04:07
    Gross
    Inquisitve Kat
    +5
    I know it's only natural, but ugh, underarm hair grosses me out.
  • L K 2012/05/04 22:03:18 (edited)
    Gross
    L K
    +3
    I went to college in the late 1960's and even though it was the style to be "natural", I still shaved. It was very common in the late 60's and early 70's for women to not shave their under arms and legs and men didn't seem to mind back then because ALL the girls weren't doing it so it became the cool norm. Long hair, back to basics etc. I just found that you perspired less if you shaved....BUT, in Europe many women still don't shave..and European men aren't hung up about it. I am not personally grossed out by it , I just prefer to be a little better "groomed."
  • H H 2012/05/04 22:01:53
    Great
    H H
    +1
    Well, it's not great, just okay. It's not my preference, but I can accept it. It wouldn't scare me away.
  • lorenab. 2012/05/04 21:59:01
    Gross
    lorenab.
    +1
    im sorry, but thats nasty! and i dont see how guys are okay with the "fuzzy" bushes under her arms! plus it probably feels weird! :(
  • The Inc... lorenab. 2012/05/04 23:13:33
    The Incurable Pessimist
    +1
    You don`t see how guys are okay with it because you don`t have the perception enough.
  • lorenab. The Inc... 2012/05/06 00:57:17
    lorenab.
    No, i dont see how guys are okay with it because having hairy armpits is a manly quality. and if i was a guy i would just get grossed out when i saw that. sorry that i have an opinion... but thats just me....
  • Aly Hart lorenab. 2012/05/05 18:18:32
    Aly Hart
    Guys shouldn't have a problem with it, seeing as how lots of them don't shave themselves.
  • lorenab. Aly Hart 2012/05/06 00:53:50
    lorenab.
    yeah, but there are things that seperate guys and girls and that is one thing. im sorry, but i think it's gross.
  • Aly Hart lorenab. 2012/05/06 01:29:22
  • lorenab. Aly Hart 2012/05/06 17:03:27
  • Aly Hart lorenab. 2012/05/06 19:20:23
  • lorenab. Aly Hart 2012/05/07 05:34:49
    lorenab.
    haha! actually im not the one that got worked up about it. you did. did you reply to all the other people who answered gross with the same message as mine? nope. i didnt think so, and i never said anyone has to shave their armpits, that came from you... yet again... and the reason people think its okay for a guy not to shave is because its normal. if you get so worked up about this, then why dont you go live in europe. but im sorry, that as americans most of the women/girls were tought that a woman is supposed to shave, and the guys dont have to. but its like when you see something not normal and you just kind of stare at it. i mean would you go all crazy on me if i said that Lady Gagas clothes are wierd and that they look rediculous? Because they are about the same thing...
  • Aly Hart lorenab. 2012/05/07 13:59:02
    Aly Hart
    You must be new here. Yes, actually, I would.
  • lorenab. Aly Hart 2012/05/07 20:36:01
  • Aly Hart lorenab. 2012/05/07 21:08:15
    Aly Hart
    It's a meme. I meant if you took a look at my profile you'd see she's something I'd be very defensive about.

You're not the only person I replied to on this, you're just the only one to use textwalls.

at least you tried
  • lorenab. Aly Hart 2012/05/07 21:47:45
    lorenab.
    okay imma be striaght up. i dont know what you meant half the time, there. but i'm sorry id didnt look at your profile to get all your backround information, but i dont usually do that. im so sorry... but you know did you look at my profile before replying to mne? and i never said i was the only one, but you know what, there are some people on here that said stuff that was moore offensive than what i said and you didnt say anything to htem... so how does that make you look... you just needa stop..
  • TKramar lorenab. 2012/05/10 15:56:01
    TKramar
    The separation is that men are flat chested, and women generally aren't.
  • Veritas 2012/05/04 21:57:10
    Gross
    Veritas
    +2
    Sorry, I'm just not one of those girls. And I don't like to see other girls pit hairs. Ewwwww. I don't care how natural it is. That's why women wax the unibrow.
    unibrow
  • Georgia50 Veritas 2012/05/04 23:09:29
    Georgia50
    +3
    Well, most of them do anyway...
    elena elaniak
  • Honeybuns 2012/05/04 21:46:38
    Great
    Honeybuns
    +5
    Lol it shows that she does care that other girls shave their armpits and hers is not shave. I don't shave my armpits .But i barely have any hair under my armpits so theirs no need to shave.
  • wtxwoman Honeybuns 2012/05/04 22:55:26
    wtxwoman
    +1
    I have no hair there, either.
  • Honeybuns wtxwoman 2012/05/05 00:03:24
    Honeybuns
    From not shaving or just your pubic hair does not grow that much?.
  • wtxwoman Honeybuns 2012/05/05 02:10:42
    wtxwoman
    No underarm hair at all and less pubic hair than I've seen on other females. I only ever had to shave my legs from the knee down. I don't know why.
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/05/04 21:45:06
  • Breezy(: 2012/05/04 21:42:49
    Gross
    Breezy(:
    +4
    I mean, it's really up to her. I just know I couldn't stand it. If I go even a few days without shaving, I just feel gross. It's not an appearance thing, it's a hygiene thing. I'm used to being clean and shaved, so I associate one with the other. I just wouldn't be able to handle it. Haha!
  • Ashley 2012/05/04 21:41:41
    Gross
    Ashley
    +2
    She should practice hygiene. Hairy armpits and legs just look wrong on women. But I guess that's what people mean when they say "whatever floats your boat". 0_0
  • Inquisi... Ashley 2012/05/04 22:13:32
    Inquisitve Kat
    +5
    Umm... I'm grossed out by it, too, but being hairy doesn't mean you're not hygienic.
  • Ashley Inquisi... 2012/05/10 20:27:24
    Ashley
    What else am I supposed to think when I read a woman's gone 18 months without shaving?
  • Inquisi... Ashley 2012/05/10 21:34:41
    Inquisitve Kat
    Doesn't mean she isn't bathing...
  • Ashley Inquisi... 2012/05/14 22:24:16
    Ashley
    +1
    Well, I know she sure isn't shaving, so for all *I* know she doesn't bathe. Don't take my "hygiene" comment personal or to the extreme, I didn't mean it as in she doesn't take showers or care for herself in other ways. My mom taught me that every woman should shave and if she doesn't she isn't hygienic, but maybe she was going a little too far.
  • Inquisi... Ashley 2012/05/15 01:53:18
    Inquisitve Kat
    I'm not taking it personal or taking it to the extreme. I'm just pointing out that shaving isn't a matter of hygiene (yeah, your mom was going a little too far)... I wasn't offended nor was I attacking you, but since you were saying something that could offend a lot of people who don't share our cultural preferences, I felt like pointing out that thinking something looks gross or wrong doesn't make it unhygienic. As for not shaving... it's not a logical jump to assume they wouldn't bathe if shaving isn't a hygiene thing... of course you wouldn't know that because you believed shaving was tied to hygiene. I was only pointing out the flaw in your logic... I'm sorry if it may have come across as an attack.
  • Ashley Inquisi... 2012/06/08 22:58:07
    Ashley
    I never said it was an attack, did I? And I'll be damned the day I let a stranger over the Internet (muchless a site like Sodahead) "attack" me and get away with it. Who said anything about logic? There's no logic anywhere on the Internet no matter where it's found. Dublin isn't a very different culture, I'm sure the majority shaves and/or takes a shower. You apparently haven't heard of sarcasm.

Do you not know how arrogant you sound by putting down "of course you wouldn't know that because you believed shaving was tied o hygiene". My suggestion? Get off your "hygiene" and "logic" high-horse and learn how to take (read) a joke! Nothing personal to the woman, you, or anybody else in the world, alright? After all, I sure would hate to offend someone in the slightest way, wouldn't I? And if that snarky comment of yours implied I had no sense of logic, hygiene, reality, whatever then you need a serious reality check of your own. It's the 21st century and it's time *everyone* grew up and learned how to take a joke and not make it into a "logical" scuffle online. There was no "flaw" in my logic because I wasn't using any to begin with.

2014/09/01 11:21:08