Woman Goes 18 Months Without Shaving Armpits: Gross or Great?

If there's one beauty ritual that almost all women partake in, it's shaving their armpits while they're in the shower. But graduate student Emer O'Toole from Dublin decided to examine why she felt she had to be hair-free -- and stopped shaving 18 months ago, The Daily Mail reports.

"I started examining my own relationship with my body, and my body hair," she told "This Morning." She continued, "Why did I feel I had to shave? I thought back to when I first started shaving. When I sprouted hair at 14, I didn't think, 'Will I shave or not?' I just knew I had to shave it off."

Over a year later, O'Toole says she's mostly OK with her armpit and leg hair. "Over the past 18 months, if I've felt awkward in a certain outfit that shows my hairy armpits, I've started to examine where my confidence comes from. If it's my looks, and my self-esteem is linked to that, then I've realized I need to find other sources for that confidence. Your looks aren't with you when you wake up in the morning if you have to put your makeup on first. And they don't stay with you as you age."

And she says guys are totally fine with her fuzzy pits, but women are pretty grossed out by it. Do you think women should feel free to go without shaving their armpits? Or is it a beauty must-do?

• Riobhca 2012/05/04 22:32:37 (edited)
    Great
    Riobhca
    +50
    If that is her preference, so what? If you bathe, you won't smell, hair or not. Sometimes it's good to question societal conventions. Good for her for having the courage to do just that.

Americans are always so quick to judge other cultures. That is what is "gross."

• bdrijo 2014/09/02 05:19:26
    Gross
    bdrijo
    cross is the sing of the son of our mighty lord that die for all of the people on earth...
  • Dan 2014/03/14 16:49:17
    Great
    Dan
    If she were my wife or GF... i would encourage her to never shave ... but the choice would be hers. I think she is blessed. Kinda like icing on the cake .. why remove it. There is absolutely nothing gross about being natural. Women are beautiful without all makeup and hub-bub that commercial America tries to shove down their throats.
  • Kezzi Morris 2013/03/30 18:26:48
    Gross
    Kezzi Morris
    Ewwww >_< shave ur pits woman! SO GROSS!
  • Namman 2012/12/29 13:35:16
  • BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0 2012/10/11 04:38:56
    Great
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +1
    Lots of people don't shave their armpits...so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how in the hell this is freaking news.
  • Joe 2012/09/05 23:25:35 (edited)
    Great
    Joe
    +1
    I have nothing but praise and admiration for Emer O'Toole! She truly humanizes the beauty of naturism, and real men like me not only accept her for her naturalism, buy actually see the added beauty it brings to her and all women who are intelligent enough to liberate themselves from the silly social norms assigned to women only!
  • ojireajgir 2012/09/05 19:03:49
    Great
    ojireajgir
    +1
    Honestly, I wouldn't be able to not shave my armpits if they are going to show (also because it feels weird for me if I don't), so I wouldn't be able to do that. However, I will say this. Everyone is constantly arguing that women with shaven/waxes bodies are more beautiful, sexy, feminine, etc. Did you even know that in some societies now and even before, hair was considered sexy? Hair meant that you were healthy, that your babies would be healthy, and hair was normal! Hair is something you have when you are born, and that continues to develop throughout your entire life. Just as clothes did not exist in the womb, neither did razors or Nair. So the next time you say, "Ewwww, her hair is showing. That is so gross." Think about it. What is so gross about hair? You have it on your head, and your eyebrows, so what's so wrong about it being on your legs or arms? What, it "looks funny"? Why does it "look funny"? Because you saw hairless legs in a magazine? And if you look up celebrities, you will see ones like Natalia Vodianova, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, even Drew Barrymore... have all shown up in public at least once with hair showing, and guess what? It wasn't a big deal to the fans, only to the tabloids that are trying to make money.
  • Micah 2012/08/27 21:08:02
    Great
    Micah
    +2
    I love girls with Armpit hair, I know its unusual for a guy to like it but I absolutly love it in fact I find it as one of my turn ons.
  • Danielle Mawson 2012/08/09 01:00:50
    Great
    Danielle Mawson
    +1
    Don't really care either way. If guys can do it, so can she.
  • Dax 2012/08/07 02:01:03
    Gross
    Dax
    Gross. I don't like how a woman looks with excess body hair growing here and there. Not my cup of tea.
  • yaishi meem 2012/06/08 00:16:16 (edited)
    Gross
    yaishi meem
    +1
    ewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! GROSS ME OUT!!!!!! Advice from me: please do not view this picture while you are eating.
  • *flykid* 2012/05/31 17:31:47
    Gross
    *flykid*
    Trifling
  • Maryam 2012/05/30 12:44:06
    Gross
    Maryam
    +1
    Ewwwwwwwwwww
    So disgusting...She will not be a woman anymore
    yakhhhh
  • M Mostayen Billah Al Faysal 2012/05/24 16:29:24
    Gross
    M Mostayen Billah Al Faysal
    +1
    I almost puked.
  • Vyvyan 2012/05/18 14:28:24
    Great
    Vyvyan
    +2
    I'll do one better. I haven't shaved my armpits in 2 years!
  • OnyxRaven Vyvyan 2012/07/17 07:04:00
    OnyxRaven
    ...electrolysis?
  • Anthony Gosselin 2012/05/18 12:03:10
    Great
    Anthony Gosselin
    +1
    Alright, now that chick has some nasty armpit hair. At that point it is ok to shave your pits. Heck, she has more armpit hair than me!!! I would like to change my vote.
  • Heronimus 2012/05/18 05:34:20
    Great
    Heronimus
    +3
    Nice..armpit !!!.
  • hersmoothpits 2012/05/15 14:43:07
    Gross
    hersmoothpits
    +5
    To each their own; but what a revolting thing to see during your morning meal in front of the tele. And to all those who insist hair removal makes women look prepubescent and therefore only appeals to pedophiles... kindly do the world a favor and stop thinking. Don't breed. In fact, consider taking a long walk off a short pier because that argument is quickly invalidated by the fact a grown woman's body looks COMPLETELY different than that of a child.

You have been schooled. Good day.
  • 2012/05/14 13:04:55
    Gross
    +1
    i just think hair feels disgusting. she can do what she wants but she shouldnt get offended if someone thinks its gross cuz it is. what guy wants to rub a girl's bushy legs?
  • RubyAndraiyaWhittle 2012/05/12 03:55:04
    Great
    RubyAndraiyaWhittle
    I don't shave my legs. Or rather, I only shave my legs between May 1st and November 1st. I have no need to because by that time it's too cold for me to fathom going outside without my legs being fully covered. I'm sure that will change as I migrate south, but for now that's how it is.

I also don't shower near as often as is socially acceptable and by the time I do shower I have a good millimeter or two of armpit hair (shower about once a week) and I don't care. I actually prefer a little bit of hair because of how it feels. Our bodies grow hair for a purpose... when we get rid of our hair, we're getting rid of one of our natural defenses.
  • opaleyes 2012/05/12 00:30:00
    Great
    opaleyes
    +1
    Okay. No, it's not gross. Personally, I actually dislike the feeling of armpit hair, so that's why I shave, but if she doesn't feel she needs to then more power to her.
  • Dawn Searle 2012/05/11 11:26:19 (edited)
    Great
    Dawn Searle
    +1
    Imo, shaving opens up the skin under your arms and makes it easier for the toxic ingredients in anti-perspirants, like aluminum chlorhydrate to enter into your bloodstream and cause diseases like altzeimers, cancer, and others. Like I said, that's just my opinion.
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/05/11 03:41:53 (edited)
    Great
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +2
    Call me abnormal, but I prefer women to be the way God made them.
  • hersmoo... ✞Knight... 2012/05/15 14:44:45
    hersmoothpits
    +3
    Okay, Mr. Abnormal. ^_~
  • ✞Knight... hersmoo... 2012/05/15 17:27:01
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +1
    I like what I like so I don't really care. Natural girls are amazing for me.
  • Bozette 2012/05/11 01:51:15
    Gross
    Bozette
    To each her own, not for me.
  • Black-Indian Girl 2012/05/10 20:21:48
    Great
    Black-Indian Girl
    Her choice. As long as she keeps herself clean by showering/bathing, and eating a healthy diet (an unhealthy diet is linked to stronger body odor), she should be fine. I didn't start shaving till I was 17, and I didn't notice much of a difference in odor before or after shaving unless I forgot to put on deodorant.
  • Ana Hen... Black-I... 2012/05/11 14:14:46
    Ana Henriques
    +1
    Completely agree. Her body, her choice, and it's nothing to do about hygiene.
  • RavenWing 2012/05/10 17:28:15
    Great
    RavenWing
    +2
    I think it's great because it shows a double standard in society where men can ooze sweat and be cover in hair and remain un-judge but a women is expected to be pristine and perfect. I shave because I personally hate being harry but I have said to many guys I wish men had to shave their armpits too for the same reasons -too much hair. It should be about personal preference not double standards and stereotypes.
  • TKramar RavenWing 2012/05/11 17:59:29
    TKramar
    I've shaved upon request. I don't care about the hair on my face, so unless someone likes something specific, I may or may not have it on a given day. But anything else, yeah, upon request I'll remove it.
  • hersmoo... TKramar 2012/05/15 14:48:16
    hersmoothpits
    +2
    But by your earlier logic you're making yourself look like a prepubescent boy. Are you trying to attract pedophiles? (Despite otherwise looking like a grown man.) Or are you shaving upon request by a pedophile? Forgive me, I am lost in your maze of hypocrisy. ^_^
  • TKramar hersmoo... 2012/05/15 16:34:50
    TKramar
    No one asked me to shave my genitals. That's one place I'm not going.
  • RavenWing hersmoo... 2012/10/19 18:19:20
    RavenWing
    The same could be said for women shaving -___- what we all have to look like were little helpless prepubescent school girls? Your logic is kinda bias and stereotypical.
  • Paula Cooke 2012/05/10 17:13:58
  • HOMBRE 2012/05/10 03:05:40
    Gross
    HOMBRE
    Sounds like she could have a pony tail under each arm pit?
  • Cain2012~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/10 02:16:33
  • charles nelson 2012/05/09 17:32:35
    Great
    charles nelson
    Shaving body hair is for olympic swimmers..... http://oooohgirl.tumblr.com/
  • Madi 2012/05/09 16:36:57
    Gross
    Madi
    +1
    My personal opinion is that she's just looking for publicity. Come "Woman comes on to This Morning only to reveal she has.....hairy armpits!"

Er, not a big deal.
  • hersmoo... Madi 2012/05/15 14:50:13
    hersmoothpits
    +5
    Exactly.

"Need publicity, must pay off school loans. Hey everybody check out my disgusting pits and rehashed social commentary!"

2014/10/20 16:53:12