Willow Smith's Dress: Age Appropriate, or Too Grown-Up?

She's only 11 years old, but Willow Smith looked like quite the little lady at Saturday's BET Honors event in Washington. Willow would have fit in at the Golden Globes in her romantic floor-length yellow gown, tied at the waist. And it also would have been hard for her to "whip her hair" in this glamorous updo.

Willow -- the daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith -- is best known for her hit debut single "Whip My Hair." She's currently promoting her song "Fireball" featuring Nicki Minaj, and she'll release her self-titled, debut album on April 3 (the album will include "Fireball"). She'll also play Annie in this year's remake of "Annie."

Willow Smith is known for her quirky style, but her yellow dress actually suited the event honoring Stevie Wonder, Maya Angelou, Spike Lee and Mariah Carey. Michelle Obama was also in attendance, along with Aretha Franklin. However, Willow showed a hint of her signature style by wearing a ton of colorful bracelets for her presenting gig.

The spunky tween has come a long way since her film debut in 2007's "I Am Legend," but is she growing up too fast? What do you think of her yellow dress?

• Ben 2012/01/16 22:17:06
    Too grown up
    Ben
    +22
    Here goes my opinion: By "too grown up" I do NOT mean that the dress is too sexy or its trying to attract pedophiles or whetever. The girl is 11 years old. Yeah, she is at an event where people dress up. The girl's entire career and attitude is "too grown up", right along with her outfit. I feel sorry for her. She needs to be a normal kid and enjoy it while she can. Her parents should be ashamed of themselves for throwing her into a very adult, cut-throat industry. I'm sure her grades are good and I bet she has plenty of friends. I just think she should act like a kid and dress like a kid. That's all.

• lala 2012/01/19 00:11:14
    Too grown up
    lala
    tooo grown up in my opinion!
  • Changeling 2012/01/18 23:42:42
    Age appropriate
    Changeling
    +3
    It's not all slutty so why are we worrying about it?
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/01/18 23:27:01
    Age appropriate
    Jack's Pearl
    +4
    She looks pretty.
  • The_Cat 2012/01/18 23:21:12
    Age appropriate
    The_Cat
    +3
    Honestly, if she was wearing the typical Hollywood risque dress people would be calling her out. She's a celebrity now, like it or not, and she's at an award show for God's sake! What, would you want her wearing a prom dress?
  • shadowgirl 2012/01/18 23:15:22
    Too grown up
    shadowgirl
    slow down and enjoy your life, as long as it wasn't forced on her, but still, I still live in my punk rock outfits.
  • Age appropriate
    Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥
    +6
    People freak out over nothing. She looks like a beautiful mature young respectable lady. She isn't wearing tons of makeup, bare skinned, lace, miniskirts, our any other overly sexual clothes a lot of youth wear. Totally appropriate....
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/01/18 20:15:22
    Age appropriate
    Lerro DeHazel
    I don't know her, but she is pretty and she deserves to be protected until she is old enough to make her own decisions . . . Until that time, she should be guided by her parents to make sure that she does not get off-track.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/01/18 19:36:53
    Age appropriate
    Inquisitve Kat
    +5
    It's pretty... and she's covered! I think it looks elegant and what 11 year old girl doesn't want to look elegant and grown up? Besides, she's at an event where the style is called for.
    She doesn't look sexualised, so I find it's completely appropriate.
  • SilveryRow 2012/01/18 19:30:41
    Age appropriate
    SilveryRow
    +5
    I'm surprised this is even a question, and more surprised by how many think it's 'too grown up'. She's not flashing skin, it's a ladylike dress for a formal occasion - for all we know, she picked it herself. I don't think it's right to assume she's been pushed into anything, as if children have no personality.
  • melody_K 2012/01/18 19:29:47
    Age appropriate
    melody_K
    +2
    Aww, she looks darling.
  • RoseyRhod 2012/01/18 19:04:45
    Age appropriate
    RoseyRhod
    +2
    It's just fine. It's a modest dress in a nice color. It isn't as if her parents let her go out dressed like a street walker like some so called parents allow and even encourage their young girls to do these days.
  • Barbie Bitch 2012/01/18 17:04:45
    Age appropriate
    Barbie Bitch
    +3
    she is not showing anything off and she looks cute.
  • mnarchbutterfly 2012/01/18 16:25:15
    Age appropriate
    mnarchbutterfly
    +5
    I think she looks like a beautiful young lady.
  • sun1079 "In Nature I Trust" 2012/01/18 15:39:41
    Age appropriate
    sun1079 "In Nature I Trust"
    +4
    I don't see the big deal. She's not revealing any cleavage, the skirt part isn't so short you can almost see her butt. Would it be better if she wore a pink deal with Hello Kitty on it?
  • Pegasis 2012/01/18 15:29:21
    Age appropriate
    Pegasis
    +2
    This dress was age appropriate and very becoming.
  • zcberry 2012/01/18 15:07:34
    Too grown up
    zcberry
    too much....enough said...
  • La zcberry 2012/01/23 01:45:26
    La
    Too much of what?
  • zcberry La 2012/01/24 16:49:57
    zcberry
    To me she has been dressing like a grown woman, not a child which she is a child. Any other questions.
  • peter.g.mackie 2012/01/18 15:03:59
    Age appropriate
    peter.g.mackie
    +4
    It does seem to me that people are getting into too much of a panic about things like that. They should be clamping down on more serious issues like child pornography instead.
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/01/18 13:42:44
    Age appropriate
    Bingo's Faddah
    +6
    She looks great! This one is just wrong:

lid s pageant
  • #Justic... Bingo's... 2012/01/19 01:40:52
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    That's for sure.
  • Gloria 2012/01/18 11:01:58 (edited)
    Age appropriate
    Gloria
    +3
    It's not much different from a church dress. The Smiths have trouble with PR but mostly the public will not let them be.
  • Roger 2012/01/18 10:59:13
    Age appropriate
    Roger
    +4
    the mind ages at different rate than the body.
  • AnnMarie 2012/01/18 10:41:17
    Age appropriate
    AnnMarie
    +4
    Willow looks beautiful!
  • greg 2012/01/18 10:31:16
    Age appropriate
    greg
    +6
    she looks very appropriate for the event she was attending. She would look ridiculous if they had tried to dress her like a 5 year old, face it she's at that hard to place tweener age.
  • Inquisi... greg 2012/01/18 19:52:43
    Inquisitve Kat
    +4
    It really does make you wonder what those who answered "too grown up" think she should be wearing, doesn't it? She's at that age where it's normal and 'appropriate' to want to look elegant and "grown up". When I was 10, I had a black crushed velvet dress that was floor length and zipped up the back and the neck... I felt like a star. What makes it appropriate for 'normal' kids to dress up, but not celebrity kids? Like one person already said, it doesn't look much different than a church dress.
  • AnnForTruth 2012/01/18 09:26:46 (edited)
    Age appropriate
    AnnForTruth
    +4
    The dress isn't too revealing. But Willow is eccentric and doesn't dress like average children her age or what society considers "age appropriate or normal". She has her own style and obviously her parents encourage her to be herself, which is good in a lot of ways. Chances are great she won't become an adult before living out her childhood dreams.
    Willow Smith Willow Smith Willow Smith Willow Smith
  • Inquisi... AnnForT... 2012/01/18 19:54:14
    Inquisitve Kat
    +3
    Wow, I never knew anything about the kid. She has quite a creative sense of style... I love that her parents allow her to express it, too!
  • AnnForT... Inquisi... 2012/01/18 20:43:52
    AnnForTruth
    +2
    Jada Pickett has a metal rock or punk rock group. Need I say anything further? Nonetheless, I don't hear anything but positive when it comes to Willow's parents.
  • D D AnnForT... 2012/01/19 07:18:21
    D D
    This stuff I do not totally agree with.
  • AnnForT... D D 2012/01/19 07:53:29
    AnnForTruth
    +1
    What "stuff" are you referring to?
  • D D AnnForT... 2012/01/19 08:23:34
    D D
    The hair.
  • Pocahontas 2012/01/18 09:22:02
    Too grown up
    Pocahontas
    It looks very classy and she is beautiful... but I don't think a 11 years old child should look classy. She should be a kid, why can't she be that?
  • Inquisi... Pocahontas 2012/01/18 19:57:32
    Inquisitve Kat
    +3
    Well, I agree that kids should be kids, but even "normal" kids dress up for functions. Part of the joy of being a kid is getting to dress up and look elegant and feel 'grown up'. If she was dressed like that every day, then I'd agree... but I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing a child to look classy for a big event.
    That being said, my comment only applies to the dress and whether or not it was too grown up for her. I'm not sure how I feel about her having a career of her own at such a young age (part of me feels that if it's her choice, it's okay, but part of me feels she's too young to know what she wants to do).
  • Pocahontas Inquisi... 2012/01/18 21:04:39
    Pocahontas
    +2
    Agreed. Thank you for your time. =]
  • Jersey ... Pocahontas 2012/01/18 22:46:30
    Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥
    +1
    An eleven year old child should not look classy?? Are you proposing she look immature or to childish then?...I would just like to understand your viewpoint...
  • Pocahontas Jersey ... 2012/01/19 20:24:25
    Pocahontas
    I am not saying she shouldn't look classy, I am saying it shouldn't be intended. Some part of me just feels it's wrong for such a young child to do so grown-up things and wear long dresses or make-up.
    willow smith
  • Jersey ... Pocahontas 2012/01/19 20:52:43
    Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥
    +1
    It is grown up to wear long dresses???...and she's not Such a little girl where she can't wear make up. All young girls start playing with mommy's make up at around six. I think that because she is a celebrity, or in the media, she is suddenly thrust into a higher standard that most people don't even make their own children live by....
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/01/18 08:58:48
    Age appropriate
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +4
    Does she look older than eleven? Yes, but a lot of girls do in this day and age. Is that dress approriate? It's very beautiful, covers everything that should be covered, is very classy, is very ladylike as well. So it's perfect for such a formal event. She's dressing like a proper young lady which is so rare in this time in history.
  • Inquisi... freakou... 2012/01/18 20:04:35
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    That's sadly so true. I hate that we've let it become acceptable for teenagers and little girls to look and act like sexually mature adults.
    Yes, I do understand that girls were married and having children in their early teenage years in the past, BUT, they were adults in every other sense of the word, too. Now kids are KIDS until they're at LEAST 18 in most cases, which is good for a lot of reasons, but dangerous, too. They're still allowed to dress and act sexually mature, but they're not ready for it since we still treat them like children in so many other areas that they lack the responsibility or understanding that comes with being sexually mature... the parts are there and working, but the mind is no longer at the same level. Allowing them to dress and act like sexually mature adults is dangerous simply because they're not emotionally mature. I admire that her parents allow her to feel grown up and elegant rather than "sexy".

2014/07/24 22:05:31