Will you buy Ben and Jerry's knowing they support Occupy?

TruBluTopaz 2012/02/29 23:46:02
First of all, Ben and Jerry's is grossly overpriced. Bluebell and Breyer's are both just as good. Secondly, they share the same elitist attitude as Apple and other liberal companies in that they think their worldview should be imposed on everyone-the flip side being if you don't comply you are a dolt. And finally, as business people, multimillionaires at that, these guys are part of the "one percent" Occupy protesters are railing against. Taking such grants make the Occupiers hypocrites and frankly makes Ben and Jerry look like fools.

A group of business leaders—including Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and former Nirvana manager Danny Goldberg—are planning to pour substantial funds into the Occupy Wall Street movement in hopes of sustaining the protests and fostering political change.

Business leaders are planning to give substantial funds to the Occupy Wall Street movement in hopes of sustaining the protests, Jessica Firger reports on Lunch Break. Photo: Daniella Zalcman for The Wall Street Journal.

Their goal is to provide some ballast to an amorphous movement that captured the world's attention with nonstop, overnight protests in dozens of cities but has had trouble regaining momentum since most of those encampments were broken up by police in the past few months.

The latest Occupy supporters call themselves the Movement Resource Group and have raised about $300,000 so far to parcel out in grants to protesters, said Mr. Cohen. Their goal is to raise $1.8 million.

A little more than two-thirds was donated by the Ben & Jerry's Foundation and members of the group's steering committee, which includes Dal Lamagna, founder of the company Tweezerman, entertainment-industry executive Richard Foos and Judy Wicks, founder of the White Dog Café in Philadelphia, along with Messrs. Cohen, Greenfield and Goldberg.

Ben Cohen, left, and Jerry Greenfield of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, met with Occupy protesters Sunday.

The remainder—about $60,000—came from individual donors, including Norman Lear, a television producer and philanthropist, and Terri Gardner, former president and chief executive of Soft Sheen hair products.

"Many of us have been working for progressive social change," Mr. Cohen, a prominent supporter of liberal causes, said Monday. "There's been a critical ingredient missing."

Since its beginning, the grass-roots movement has drawn criticism in some circles of its ambiguous message. Also, some tent cities have had episodes of violence and raised issues of sanitation and public safety.

"I don't think the Occupy movement has put forward a specific agenda. What it hasn't been is a force that can unite," said Josh Barro, 27 years old and a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, a New York government policy think tank that promotes free markets.

The group will give grants of as much as $25,000 to protesters across the country after undergoing an application process that begins in March. The group, along with five Occupy activists, will review applications.

Of the money raised so far, $150,000 will pay for rent and equipment for an office in New York for the national Occupy movement. An additional $100,000 has been set aside for individual project proposals, and a small portion of the money has been set aside to provide stipends for people Mr. Cohen describes as "core activists."

Mr. Cohen and other members of the group met with protesters in a Manhattan church Sunday night to pitch the idea to dedicated activists. Not all were impressed, on the theory it would only add bureaucracy.

"Essentially this is a group of very wealthy people who have picked a handler to deal with Occupy Wall Street," said Ravi Ahmed, 34 years old, a protester who works as an academic administrator. "They've re-created what's wrong with nonprofits and philanthropy structures."

Mr. Goldberg, 61, said he agrees with the message of the movement

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240529702038...

• Mike McCullough 2012/03/02 08:04:44
    Mike McCullough
    +2
    I quite buying their products about 25 years ago when the were obviously joined at the hip to so many other elitist folks such as the Starbucks Crowd. There
    "Progressive social agenda and their over inflated ego along with their prices turned me off all most as quickly as a cold shower in an igloo. After all, Progressive is just another spelling of "Socialism" or Global Totalitarianism. I haven't taken the time to follow their money trail but if memory serves me at all, It was about that far back that I found that they were benifactors to Groups or individuals that I certainly wouldn't want for friends. Check them out!! I believe you will find some surprising connections.
  • jasmine1 2012/03/01 17:53:04
    jasmine1
    +1
    Thanks for the update. I have crossed them off my list.
  • irish 2012/03/01 14:13:26
    irish
    breyers is crap. let it melt and look at it,its like water.haven't had the other one.
    Ben and jerry's is classified as Super Premium Ice Cream, which means higher % of butter fat vs. regular ice cream, and also has more actual ice cream per ounce versus regular ice cream.most ice cream is a lot of air.
    why shouldn't they support the movement to get wall street out of govt?
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/01 23:14:38
    TruBluTopaz
    There are plenty of other ice creams out there just as good or better. THe fact that you don't understand the basic hypocrisy of a multimillion dollar franchise granting money to Occupy groups demonstrates that once again, Democrats=bad@math.
  • irish TruBluT... 2012/03/02 11:51:28
    irish
    excuse me,whats hypocritcal about it? they started out on their own and built a company. ows is about the wall street corruption and greed dictating to the govt. apparently you don't understand what ows is about.
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/03 01:16:40
    TruBluTopaz
    Let's see. Occupy claims to represent those not "in the one percent" Making millions in a year would put Ben and Jerry right smack dab in the middle of that. So for Occupy to accept the subsidizing of their protest makes them an arm of corpratism as they define it. It also makes Ben and Jerry look like they are puppetmasters.
  • irish TruBluT... 2012/03/03 11:45:24 (edited)
    irish
    wrong again. its clear that you have no idea what ows is about from your harping on wealth. they are protesting the rich that have increasingly hijacked the economy and, through their wealth, the political system. they are protesting wall street running the govt for their interests and ignoring the people.
    so ben and jerry's is right to assist their protest. its all about big money manipulating the govt.
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/03 23:29:37
    TruBluTopaz
    OWS is under the umbrella of the World Workers' Party as is the Green Party. Their goals are not simply to get people jobs, but to effect the redistribution of wealth by taking from those they label the rich. Unfortunately "the rich" includes anyone who they don't like. So while there are ice cream corporations owned by Unilever cranking up their prices to unbelievable levels who are viewed as noble by the likes of you, those same liberal knotheads will label companies like Walmart or oil companies or anyone they don't like as deserving to have their wealth raided and redistributed based on not merit, but on who adheres to the leftist's party line.
  • irish TruBluT... 2012/03/04 12:19:15
    irish
    you still don't understand what ows is about. tsk tsk tsk.
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/04 14:24:15
    TruBluTopaz
    Actually, I do. I understand that it's a tiny group of subversives being used to control the media attention on issues. Their funding sources up until now have been cloaked, but I am sure that groups like the Tides Fund and others figure prominently. Of course now we know they accept CORPORATE MONEY, which is what they claim to dislike. I understand that while they claim to represent the "99%" in reality their leaders are academically and socially elite, often coming from the very groups they claim to abhor. I understand that when they "camped" they had supplies such as powermacs, Iphones and camping gear produced by the very corporate structures they claimed to hate. I know they hired "protesters" from Craigslist. I know that just in Dallas there were several arrests for things such as rape, child molesting, drug abuse, child abuse and neglect, public drunkeness. And you expect the vast middle class to think these boobs who you deify are somehow iconic and meaningful? No buddy, you're the one who doesn't understand.
  • irish TruBluT... 2012/03/04 14:27:16
    irish
    again,wrong. you need some info.
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/04 14:31:31
    TruBluTopaz
    I don't read information from other blogs. Find a creditable source.
  • irish TruBluT... 2012/03/04 14:36:56
    irish
    you just refuse the truth.
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/06 00:47:30
    TruBluTopaz
    No, I expose the truth.
  • KoolGuyL TruBluT... 2012/03/16 04:17:40
    KoolGuyL
    So whites shoudn't have supported freeing the slaves or the civil rights movement? So men shouldn't have supported equal rights for women? So straights shouldn't support gays today?
  • TruBluT... KoolGuyL 2012/03/16 14:23:57
    TruBluTopaz
    Not if they don't want to. Of course, it was a Republican president that freed the slaves. But I guess you don't want to go there.
  • Libertarian Right 2012/03/01 13:58:13
    Libertarian Right
    +1
    I don't buy Ben & Jerry's anyway. The price of their products alone tells you all you need to know about how they feel about working Americans. They cater to the wealthy elite.
  • irish Liberta... 2012/03/01 14:14:17
    irish
    no they don't. the product is real ice cream. and its expensive to make these days.
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/01 23:18:33
    TruBluTopaz
    If you are really a Libertarian, then you should support the small Mom and Pop creameries that make local ice cream. Plano has a place called Henry's that's awesome. Every decent size city has one. Support the real people who are making a change by shopping local stores. But don't give it to millionaires that pat themselves on the back as being radicals by giving a bunch of out of work radicals free money.
  • irish TruBluT... 2012/03/02 11:55:24
    irish
    sorry,but ben and jerry were a small "mom and pop" creamery. they managed to make the american dream come true for themselves. why shouldn't they help ows?seems they haven't forgotten their roots.
    Ben & Jerry’s to continue to run its business in a socially conscious manner, which had been a trademark of the brand since its inception. Some examples of this mission include:

An original scoop shop made of recycled materials
    Creation of a “Green Team” in 1989, focusing on environmental education throughout the company
    A company bus equipped with solar panels
    The use of hormone-free milk in its products
    A commitment to reducing solid and dairy waste, recycling, and water and energy conservation at the company’s facilities
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/03 01:21:32
    TruBluTopaz
    They started as Mom and Pop, but with their buyout by Unilever, they are just another bunch of corporate heads. Don't believe me? Here's the facts...
    :...Ben & Jerry's is an American ice cream company, a division of the British-Dutch Unilever conglomerate, that manufactures ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet, and ice cream novelty products. These are manufactured by Ben & Jerry's Homemade Holdings, Inc., headquartered in South Burlington, Vermont, United States, with the main factory in Waterbury, Vermont. It is best known as an ice cream brand, founded in 1978 in Burlington, Vermont..."
    Homemade Holdings, Inc....yeah that sounds real folksy.
    "...Ben & Jerry's used to have a policy that no employee's rate of pay shall exceed seven times that of entry-level employees. In 1995, entry-level employees were paid $8 hourly, and the highest paid employee was President and Chief Operating Officer Chuck Lacey, who earned $150,000 annually. When Ben Cohen resigned as Chief Executive Officer and Ben & Jerry's announced the search for a new CEO in 1995, the company ended the seven-to-one-ratio policy..."
    So much for the image of the hardworking CEO making barely more than his line workers. It's all hype. And because you don't get your news from anyplace other than CNN, you fell for it. And ...

So much for the image of the hardworking CEO making barely more than his line workers. It's all hype. And because you don't get your news from anyplace other than CNN, you fell for it. And now they are sponsoring groups that intend to align themselves with violence such as we've seen overseas. And you think that's just peachy.

I think you're nuts.
  • irish TruBluT... 2012/03/03 11:49:43
    irish
    oh please,i already said that. they are not what ows is about. you need to actually look up ows and try to understand why they are called OCCUPY WALL STREET!
    i am nuts?/ look in the mirror buddy. you haven't a clue to what ows is about . you seem to think they hate anyone who is wealthy . thats your 1st mistake.
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/03 23:32:35
    TruBluTopaz
    Occupy Wall Street is a collection of paid protesters led by an organized group of bitter liberal grad students who think they are entitled to the things that other, older people have worked and scrimped and saved for for years. They think they are entitled to free housing, medical care and a job, even if they don't do squat. OWS is in no way noble or honorable. These are the same folks who have protested at every G8 conference since 1976. These are the same people who hire the homeless and pay people based on craigslist recruitment. They have about as much authenticity as Dolly Parton's breasts.
  • irish TruBluT... 2012/03/04 12:19:58 (edited)
    irish
    wrong again. all you are doing is repeating the msm lines to confuse the issue.
  • TruBluT... irish 2012/03/06 00:48:48
    TruBluTopaz
    Nope, I'm actually reading from outlets far removed and highly critical of the OWS fiasco. Tell me one thing, one single thing, that you can point to as a success of OWS.
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2012/03/01 13:43:33
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    I wouldn't buy their outrageously over priced ice cream, anyway. Let the parents of the ostentatious, spoiled brats but it for them instead.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/03/01 12:28:40
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    NOPE
  • Jdogg 2012/03/01 06:02:25
    Jdogg
    +1
    I never cared for there Ice cream anyway, And this just gives me a good reason not to buy
  • Dandydon 2012/03/01 03:24:20
    Dandydon
    +1
    I never bought it,not going to start now.
  • Soup Man 2012/03/01 02:12:23
  • vis_viva 2012/03/01 01:02:55
    vis_viva
    +3
    First off no duh. They are hippies. Who wouldn't see that coming?

Second I agree with many of the goals of OWS. It is a VERY decentralized group so there are are also people within it I don't agree with. There are some hard-core anarchists in there that believe any form of representative republic is fatally flawed. I just do not agree with that.

Third (and least important, but still important) they make my favorite iced cream:
    Americone dream
  • Freeranger 2012/03/01 00:54:15
    Freeranger
    [...]
  • Metaldane 2012/03/01 00:44:40
    Metaldane
    +1
    ive had other companies ice cream and while ben and jerrys cost more then the average brand its tase is worth it lol I'm not gonna buy a lesser product because their company support a certain group thats the same as only buying products if theyre made in a certain place.
  • Zervur 2012/03/01 00:29:22
    Zervur
    +3
    I stopped buying their ice cream a long time ago as a result of their support of radical ideaology.
  • doreen.k.gray 2012/03/01 00:19:36
    doreen.k.gray
    +3
    Not a chance.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2012/03/01 00:11:16
    themadhare ~IJM
    +4
    as OWS supporters they should be giving it away for free.
  • Boris Badinov 2012/03/01 00:07:39
    Boris Badinov
    +3
    no. b&j; and i dont c i2i on a few things.
  • Demonic Rat Hunter 2012/03/01 00:01:43
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +2
    Never had B&J;, Couldn't see paying that much for so little.
    +4
    no I buy no name

2014/10/21 20:01:44