Will Wal-Mart's pledge to hire veterans help its image?

L.A. Times 2013/01/15 18:00:00
Wal-Mart has been coming under a lot of fire lately. Two of its suppliers were found to have been making goods in a factory where 112 people died in Bangladesh, and employees throughout the country walked out of the store on one of the busiest retail days of the year to protest bad working conditions.

But the company, never a crowd favorite at worker-solidarity gatherings, may be trying to improve its image. In a speech to the National Retail Federation in New York on Tuesday, Chief Executive Bill Simon said the company would hire any returning veteran who wanted a job. He also said the company would buy more products from the U.S. and help more employees become full time.

wal mart

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-moco-walmart...

• FanOreilly 2013/01/17 19:49:47
    FanOreilly
    Walmart does more for the USA than Hollywood.

Let's attack Hollywood.
  • Jared Fremlin 2013/01/17 19:26:05
    Jared Fremlin
    +1
    But are they going to pay them a living wage, or the 7$ an hour that everyone else gets?
  • Ron Hanforth 2013/01/17 17:39:45
    Ron Hanforth
    +1
    dont BUY into anything this Socialized monster of a company does..
  • polock 2013/01/17 16:37:06
    polock
    +1
    when they fail to use the skills these soldiers have they will get bored and move to a job that allows them to gain satisfaction in doing a job the benefits our nation, not the pocketbooks of the Walton family. Business is just that, perception in the marketplace and with so much foreign items in their stores what can we expect? Go back to the original idea and support 98% American goods. It's hard to get truely American electronics, I know, but try.
  • Rdtourist 2013/01/17 14:34:21
    Rdtourist
    In reality, it SHOULD but WalMart is the whipping boy for libs and progressives so ANYTHING they do is WRONG or tainted by profit saccording to wisdom by the left.
  • AnonRanGER 2013/01/17 08:51:44
    AnonRanGER
    Unfortunately, because people tend to forget that those veterans will be exploited just like the rest of the employees. So really, it's just saying "Hey, we're not the bad guys. Look, we're giving sh*tty jobs to VETERANS now, because it makes f*ck all of a difference to us which lowly peasant we underpay, but it makes us look so patriotic! If you still hate us, you must hate our troops and therefore are anti-American!".
  • the Supreme 2013/01/17 05:49:38
    the Supreme
    +2
    well it doesnt make them any less evil and let me explain why this is screwing over our vets... they deserve real jobs not being a greeter thats still on welfare please boycott walmart at all cost. If walmarts destroyed we might see a healthier economy
  • Broken 2013/01/17 05:10:33
    Broken
    +2
    As someone who will have to leave active duty later this year, this is the very best kind of news I could hear. I was unable to find employment for many years when I was not on active duty. I wish more companies would make a similar pledge.
  • AnonRanGER Broken 2013/01/17 08:58:02
    AnonRanGER
    +1
    So you're looking forward to earning $6 to $7.50 an hour for 28-40 hours a week?
  • Samanth... AnonRanGER 2013/01/17 16:53:47
    Samantha Lewis
    Oh please you could find a bug in a bowl of gold.
  • AnonRanGER Samanth... 2013/01/18 09:16:39
    AnonRanGER
    +1
    It's a sh*tty, underpaid job, and it doesn't make any difference to Walmart WHO does it. Veterans will be paid the same sh*tty wages their other employees get. Walmart gets a good PR opportunity out of it and doesn't lose a dime.
    It's a sham.
  • Samanth... AnonRanGER 2013/01/19 00:25:56
    Samantha Lewis
    Hey need a job it's there and you can move up in Walmart that's a fact. Well it's a start and again no one has to take the job.
    sexy walmart employee
  • Broken AnonRanGER 2013/01/17 21:45:22
    Broken
    Let me tell you, having work to do and get paid for is FAR better than working your tail off, 8-10 hours a day, spending money you don't have in the vain and futile search for work that I did. Then to have made application to more than 4,000 positions that I was qualified for over the time I was unemployed, and get ZERO interviews and only rejection notices (I grew to call them F___ Y__ letters) in return, made me feel that not only was all that time, money and effort wasted, but that I was a loser as a man.
  • AnonRanGER Broken 2013/01/18 09:14:25
    AnonRanGER
    Let me tell you, your country is in a sad state when people like you, who risk their lives to defend it, are genuinely grateful if they can get one of the sh*ttiest jobs available upon their return home. Makes me wonder why you'd risk your life for it in the first place.
    Then again, I don't get patriotism in general, probably because, well, Germans aren't very patriotic these days (except when it comes to soccer) because the last time we went full patriot, we kinda got cocky and have been a bit reluctant ever since that little delusion of grandeur literally blew up in our faces.
    Anyway, how can it be so hard for a veteran to get a job in the US when everyone claims to support the troops? Shouldn't just about EVERY employer give a veteran a job he's qualified for, out of gratitude for his service alone? Your government doesn't seem to give a sh*t about the troops once you leave service either.
    It's not fair, man, you're being f*cked over.
    Also, Walmart doesn't give a f*ck if they underpay veterans or civilians for the same sh*tty job. This is good PR for them, and that's it. Walmart doesn't give a sh*t about veterans, and you know it.
    You deserve better.
  • mm61675 Broken 2013/01/17 21:02:57
    mm61675
    +1
    I saw on the news that in DC, a job fair was recently held for only veterans and their spouses. I don't know if you live near DC, but hopefully a job fair like the one in DC is held in your area when you return. Thank you for serving!
  • Broken mm61675 2013/01/17 21:46:48
    Broken
    I am currently assigned to Ft. Knox and will begin my job search shortly. Thank you for your suggestion and kind thoughts.
  • monkeyking908 2013/01/17 04:55:06
    monkeyking908
    +1
    Walmart is evil its destroying the economy
  • nickthestick 2013/01/17 04:52:17
  • Duke----The Non Racist, Fun... 2013/01/17 03:04:15
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    This news ought to make all those slave labors and child labors in India, Thailand, Taiwan, South America, China and from all the other places, very happy that they will be made to work much harder to fill the extra products that will be sold to us insatiable shallow americans.

Wally World can pretend to be patriotic, put more veterans to work, use more and more sweatshops from more and more exotic places and keep feeding our greed. It’s a win win situation for all, isn’t it?
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2013/01/17 02:16:13
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    +2
    I would think this is good.
  • strawberry 2013/01/17 00:58:26
    strawberry
    Wal-Mart would be very popular if they did or did not but very happy about their pledge to hire vets. Personally I prefer Target.
  • NECHOII 2013/01/17 00:51:29
    NECHOII
    +1
    Somehow I find it depressing to think of veterans who endured great hardships while fighting overseas and putting their lives on the line for all of us here in the Free World, coming back home to get a job as a Walmart Greeter.
  • L Dub 2013/01/16 22:56:52
    L Dub
    +1
    Just like them using more U.S. based sources, it will just 'up' their 'likability for me and my family. We love and support our Veterans; and dang proud of it. You go Wal Mart!.
  • Duke---... L Dub 2013/01/17 03:07:32 (edited)
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    Sadly, that only "U.S. based sources" will be the veterans. Since most of the products of wally world comes from sweatshops. Course, most of our name brands and name brand store use them mostly too.
  • L Dub Duke---... 2013/01/17 04:12:41
    L Dub
    +2
    I am all for us taking care of our vets. I'll also be glad to see our corporations bring jobs back to American soil without getting taxed out of business;. Seems like we as well as the corporations are caught up in a giant government 'Catch 22."
  • Duke---... L Dub 2013/01/17 20:41:54
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +1
    "I am all for us taking care of our vets"

I agree. I am a veteran and one of my second careers is working at a VA. My other career is serving individuals and all the 'small businesses' around the world, with a global business of mine.

Wally World though sure isn't boasting of starting to hire vets because they care, not at all, given whom they knowingly keep enslaved by using so many sweatshops. We sure are in the catch 22
  • Aspect of B 2013/01/16 22:11:32
    Aspect of B
    +1
    It really shouldn't.

But people eat that kind of thing up anyway.
  • Drageona 2013/01/16 21:01:53
    Drageona
    They will or all h--l will break out.
  • Bibliophilic 2013/01/16 20:59:21
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    No, they need to clean their gross restrooms and sell products made in the USA. Hiring veterans is great though and I think it's a good initiative. How about also paying employees a LIVABLE wage?!
  • Adi Bibliop... 2013/01/17 01:40:02
    Adi
    +2
    Exactly!!!
  • Koatz 2013/01/16 20:52:40
    Koatz
    +1
    Why not extend the offer to ALL military veterans?
  • viridiansoul 2013/01/16 19:19:43
    viridiansoul
    +1
    I doubt it. The only thing that can save Wal-mart in my eyes is if they restocked their ammo shelves and kept them that way.
  • L Dub viridia... 2013/01/17 04:14:45
    L Dub
    Hey, why did they stop stocking ammo? I didn't really notice 'til I went in and got carded to buy a couple of BB guns...
  • LawMan5150 2013/01/16 18:18:52
    LawMan5150
    +4
    Have you ever tried to find a product made in AMerica in Walmart? They are the Devil Bobby Bouche.
  • viridia... LawMan5150 2013/01/16 19:21:14
    viridiansoul
    +2
    Even the American flags in Walmart have a made in China sticker on them. Sad, isn't it?
  • retrograve LawMan5150 2013/01/16 20:41:47
    retrograve
    +3
    But momma I like Walmart and, and Walmart likes me.
  • Adi LawMan5150 2013/01/17 01:42:12
    Adi
    But some have all the time in the world to actually find two products and be happy about it....lol
    Now if Walmart would pledge to buy and sell only American made I might change my mind about them not to mention how they treat their employees!
  • LawMan5150 Adi 2013/01/17 17:57:25
    LawMan5150
    +2
    I would pay higher prices (and I do when I can find them) for domestic products.
  • t.eliot, topbard 2013/01/16 18:07:59
    t.eliot, topbard
    Like spit- polishing the hood ornament on a Rolls Royce with a blown engine and transmission.
  • rebeccasrevenge 2013/01/16 17:58:35
    rebeccasrevenge
    +1
    The American public is so easy to deceive and Walmart counts on this.Walmart is a huge conglomerate .that doesn't care about the workers nor where their products come from.As long as they keep prices lower than competitors they will continue to thrive-Americans seem to have been born with blinders on

2014/04/23 17:42:11