Why Should We Have to Argue About Gay Marriage? How about We Argue...

MissJo 2011/04/03 03:47:22
Related Topics: Religion, Marriage, Car, God
Some arguments for gay marriage happen to be: "It's none of their business who I do or don't marry" which is very true. Really think about this, if a gay couple got married down the street how is it going to affect you? I'll tell you how, it's going to affect you just as much as the straight couple down the other side of the street getting married. Probably not going to be a very big deal in your life.

And look at if from another view, how would it feel if people you don't even know, let alone care about, were arguing whether or not you could marry the love of your life? Imagine it, I don't care what your sexuality is (though really, I'm more or less talking about the heterosexuals cause you're the ones arguing whether or not other sexualities can be treated equally).

Hell, isn't it even UNCONSTITUTIONAL? I direct you to the First Amendment, personally my favourite: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof
; or abridging the freedom of
speech
, or
of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition
the Government for a redress
of
grievances."

The bold part is the important part. The main, and also religious, argument is that it'll destroy the sanctity of, mainly Christian, religious marriage, and that marriage is a religious territory.

If marriage is indeed a religious bond between two people and God, than why the hell is the government involved? Uhm, heterosexuals, whether you're on the yay or nay side of the gay marriage debate... shouldn't this be a little bit more important? In fact, shouldn't the fact that the government has a right to say who we can and can't marry a little distressing than whether or not sexual minorities should marry?

This is where the freedom of speech comes in. This is the freedom of choice, because of this we have a right to be an individual. As an individual, you have a choice to do and say what you want given certain limitations. You have a right to think that homosexual marriage is immoral, and I have a right to think there is nothing wrong with it. You have the right to marry the love of you're life and I should have the right to marry the love of mine.

And this is Congress steps in, and also the problem I may add. While you have your choice, they take away my choice (and if you haven't gotten it by now, yes I am a lesbian). Sure, I can see where where a religious establishment would be concerned in the decision whether or not they'd be allowing homosexual marriages in their establishments, but why the government? And why are they even siding with religion when they should be staying out of private matters? This is a consensual decision between two (or in some cases more) individuals and the religious or non-religious establishment they're marrying through, not "big brother." Why are we arguing whether who should marry who or how many whos they can marry? As long as there is consent, we should only care about so much. Yes, there should be limitations, there is no need for incest or bestiality... or even marrying inanimate objects (lets be honest though, who would SERIOUSLY marry their car?), and there should be a certain age limit you can get married at because I'm positive a 13 year old girl won't make very good wife material, but in general it shouldn't matter to us!

So why should we argue about gay marriage? Shouldn't we be arguing about whether or not the government can tell us who to marry? Shouldn't we be fighting for the privatization of marriage instead of the right to be able or unable to marry?

http://www.slate.com/id/2440/

• SidheRocks 2011/04/04 03:56:27
    SidheRocks
    +4
    That always puzzled me, you know? Two human beings fall in love... but they can't get married because of a fictional story about a man ripping his rib out and making a woman from that? What. The. Heck?

Homosexuals should make their own fictional stories then, to justify such horrendous injustices against us "god-fearing" heteros. XD

• ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2011/04/06 20:47:48
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    I am gay, so consider that before you labble me homophobic. The states reserve the right to assign (or not assign) marriage licenses to whom ever they wish. So it would actually be un constitutional for the government to step in and say "Ok, gay marriage is legal now! You cannot deny them te right to marry!" I agree, it should be legal, but it will have to happen one state at a time.
  • MissJo ☠ Live ... 2011/04/06 21:20:47
    MissJo
    Did you even read my post...?
    This is about PRIVATIZING marriage, not about legalizing gay marriage.
  • ☠ Live ... MissJo 2011/04/07 19:25:39
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    Alright, alright, my bad. I didn't read the entire post. But in my defense, it was rather lengthy. But, on the issue of privatizing marriage, i agree. Whom ever a person decides to live with, shag, have children with, and share half of their stuff with ought not to be any of the governments business.
  • SidheRocks ☠ Live ... 2011/04/11 00:40:44
    SidheRocks
    Here's the thing though, why is the "STATE" involved? Is it because of RELIGION (Christianity specifically?) Cause if that's the case MARRIAGE has predated Christianity and therefore should be allowed to anyone... not just the STATE's ideal. And this is coming from a heterosexual, so I'm not exactly a fanatic or anything. lol Just a casual observer.
  • SidheRocks 2011/04/04 03:56:27
    SidheRocks
    +4

• randy 2011/04/03 03:54:54
    randy
    From what many, many gay people have told me, it is more of a political agenda and most gays are apathetic. So who wants it more, the media/government or homosexuals? The government media complex won't give you the straight scoop/////////////
  • MissJo randy 2011/04/03 03:58:59
    MissJo
    +2
    I have never head someone gay say that, and I know way more gay people than straight people.

But in the end this isn't even about that. This shouldn't even be decided by the government, or anyone else for that matter except those involved in the marriage.
  • randy MissJo 2011/04/03 04:02:55 (edited)
    randy
    +2
    I will agree with that. I am a Libertarian and we believe that the government is involved in/screwed up more than it's share of things, and really needs to get out of most of the things it gets involved in/ screws up. The biggest problem is that we the people keep electing Democrats and Republican politicians. Especially at the federal level, they keep disregarding the rights of the states, the citizens and the constitution. One wants to take our freedoms away by imposing their morals, even if it doesn't hurt others, and the other wants to tax away our financial freedoms.
  • MissJo randy 2011/04/03 04:05:28
    MissJo
    +2
    I definitely agree with you on that on.
    Well, not the biggest problem part... the problem is that people on both sides are too close minded to see what damage the government is doing. Really, any one with an open mind and some intelligence that pays attention would see that everyone is at fault.
  • randy MissJo 2011/04/03 04:08:52
    randy
    +1
    I blame the people for voting for them in the first place, and the politicians in the second place,
  • MissJo randy 2011/04/03 04:10:56
    MissJo
    +1
    I go the opposite way but in the end, it's still the same! People are too trusting, the Government is too corrupt. I keep hoping America is next for a revolution, the people really need to take back the power the government STOLE from us.
  • randy MissJo 2011/04/03 04:12:38
    randy
    +1
    We're saying the same thing, but wording it diff! I gotta work early, so goin' to bed early!
    Nice talkin' to ya!
  • Razzy R... randy 2011/04/03 04:05:55
    Razzy Ratchets
    +2
    The majority of my gay friends ARE married and would argue the political agenda slant with you.
  • randy Razzy R... 2011/04/03 04:07:49
    randy
    +1
    Don't argue with me, argue with my gay friends, I didn't say it, I just repeated it...........
  • Razzy R... randy 2011/04/03 04:17:35
    Razzy Ratchets
    +1
    I am not. I stated that they might. Different circles, I guess. Then again, it is legal here so.......
  • randy Razzy R... 2011/04/03 10:29:42
    randy
    +1
    East coast/west coast thing, perhaps.
  • Razzy R... randy 2011/04/03 13:25:06 (edited)
    Razzy Ratchets
    +1
    Hahahaha! Just like Tupac/Biggie.....YES! Hopefully nothing goes down.

2014/07/26 13:10:07