Why should I respect religion?

Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2010/04/22 22:33:26
I get many people telling me to respect religion...but why? It has done nothing for me to respect it . It has however done many things for me to resent it however.

So, why exactly should I respect religion?

An increasing source of conflict in the world today is centered around religious believers’ demands for respect. Muslims demand “respect” that would forbid criticism, satire, or mocking of their religion. Christians demand “respect” that would amount to something very similar. "Non-believers" are caught in a bind when it’s not clear what “respect” is supposed to mean and how it is supposed to be achieved...

There seems to be a popular impression that beliefs deserve automatic respect, and therefore that religious beliefs should be respected. Why? Should we respect racism or Nazism? Of course bloody not!

• Philo-Publius 2010/04/22 23:15:17
    Philo-Publius
    +10
    Fuck respect... what we should be striving toward is acceptance of others... of others, of them as people. Not their fucking beliefs.

If you accept the person, unconditionally, it matters not whether his belief is rational or complete and utter bullshit.

• Tiana/jitters 2010/04/27 01:00:35
    Tiana/jitters
    Are you an athesis? Most of the questions you make are about religion.
  • عهود عوايص 2010/04/25 11:01:27
    عهود عوايص
    No one forces u to respect religions
  • 1regmom 2010/04/25 03:30:46
    1regmom
    I think there should be more respect in the world no matter the reason. Regardless of race, social status, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, physical handicaps etc. there needs to be more respect. That doesn't mean that you have to agree with each other. It simply means that you're going to allow them to be how they feel they should be so long as it's not infringing on someone else's ability to be how they feel they should be.
  • maria flores 2010/04/25 00:38:43
  • Daisy 2010/04/24 22:27:36
    Daisy
    Whether you respect religion or not it's up to you. I don't expect people to respect all the time or at all. I do strongly believe that you shouldn't disrespect the people who believe in whatever religion they are involved in. If you know that a certain person thinks a certain way or if you eavesdrop on a conversation and you start mouthing off, well that is uncalled for and dumb. An eye for eye would be the best way to go. If "believers" talk down on you for your ideas then you go right ahead and mouth off back.
  • Geebus 2010/04/24 22:26:57
    Geebus
    I think You Shouldn't, unless you're religious.
  • tewaz1 2010/04/24 06:13:19
    tewaz1
    You have a very good point Scott.
    Sometime it is hard to distinguish between respecting an individual as a fellow human being, and respecting an entire group based on their shared beliefs.
    I can tell you that it is very easy, though, to cross the line from resentment to pre-judgement. I despised religion so much because of the rotten way some of their number treat others. That derision translated to my treatment of others. I could muster some serious venom any time someone told me they were Christian. It wasn't until years later that I realized that I was hurting very kind loving people in my attempt to get back at the rotten spiteful ones. In essence, I was doing the same thing to people because of their religion, the same thing that some religious people had done to me because of my sexual orientation.
    All that to say, judge a person based on their behavior, not their beliefs. I know it's easy to lash out when some seem to be constantly spitting bile and wounding people, but remember, they don't represent everyone of their group, just like men in thongs and rainbow paint don't represent all people in my group.
    Remember, if wounds turn to rage, they eat you alive from the inside out. I learned that only just in time. If you need anything, let me know.
  • pinqkitty 2010/04/24 06:06:14
    pinqkitty
    i don't think it is so much you need to respect whatever religion or even the person that belongs to it i think what it comes down to is being at least open to what other people believe or are saying. meaning you don't have to agree or even like it and why bother trying to change it. it is what THEY believe in. not you or i. so let them and then we can feel confident with what we have because it is ours. i think a lot of the conflict comes from people trying to change other people or just downright disagreeing so it escalates to a confrontation which is not necessary. walk away. i think that option is often forgotten
  • jenlduu 2010/04/24 03:17:02
    jenlduu
    I don't think anyone has to respect religion if they don't feel it is worth it. It is just another way that religions try and force thier beliefs on everyone else. AS soon as you hear the word "should" and religion I suggest you run the other way.

For some that religion does something for them that is fine for them but they can never keep it to themselves. They just have to make sure everyone respects the same things they do. Respect is always earned. If no religion has earned your respect then so be it.
  • Nature Boy: The Naked One 2010/04/24 00:33:32
    Nature Boy: The Naked One
    +1
    You ain't gotta. Believe what you believe and respect that. Don't let anybody criticize it.
  • cassidysf 2010/04/23 22:50:50
    cassidysf
    because wouldnt you want someone to have respect for something you believe in?
  • Me 2010/04/23 19:11:04
    Me
    +1
    because its polite
  • Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^ 2010/04/23 19:04:11
    Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^
    I can't think of a reason. I'd like people to respect me as a person, and as such, respect that I might have beliefs that differ from theirs.
  • EmoKidBecauseYouThinkIAm 2010/04/23 18:47:46
  • Reaper 2010/04/23 18:38:42
    Reaper
    Well dude straight out i hate religion but look at it this way, how would you like to have people diss on you for your beliefs. I mean if some jesus freak is trying to ram his religion down your throat by all means diss him to make him back off. But its not respect you should be giving but tolorence even though religion is the cause for alot of blood shed through out our history. It'd make shit alot calmer aroung our planet.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2010/04/23 16:36:31
  • Kirby 2010/04/23 14:51:16
    Kirby
    Respect is something which is earned, not given. When Muslims say, "Mock Mohamed and we will kill you" you get the OPPOSITE of respect. I USED to respect their choice of religions, if nothing else. Now it is my firm belief that EVERY Muslim is a potential terrorist. Even if they're not with any terrorist organization, if you mock Mohamed ANY Muslim may try to kill you. THAT is what they want me to respect? That is LAUGHABLE!
  • VladimirAteMyCheesecake 2010/04/23 12:39:41
    VladimirAteMyCheesecake
    No. Respect Chuck Norris.
  • THE REV 2010/04/23 12:38:50
    THE REV
    Exactly why respect something that is a lie, myth or make believe.. Religion or belief in a "God" is for people that refuse to try and comprehend the mysteries of the universe. Why should anyone be forced to respect something that is not real. Christianity is just a rip off of another religion more than 2000 yrs older.
    Look at the similarities and you decide.
    Both Horus and Jesus share the following:
    Both conceived by a virgin
    Both were claimed to be the only begotten son of "God"
    Mother for Horus - Isis-Meri, Mother for Jesus Miriam-Mary
    Foster Father Horus - Jo-Seph, Jesus - Joseph
    Ancestory both of royal descent
    Both born is a cave or stable
    Annunciation - both by an Angel
    Birth recognized by a star
    Birthdate for Horus - Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (about DEC-21). In reality, he had no birth date; he was not a human.
    Birthdate for Jesus - Born during the fall. However, his birth date is now celebrated on DEC-25. The date was chosen to occur on the same date as the birth of Mithra, Dionysus and the Sol Invictus (unconquerable Sun), etc.
    Birth witnessed by Shepards for both.
    Later witnesses for Horus - 3 Deities. For Jesus - 3 Kings
    Herut tried to have Horus murdered. Herod tried to h...

Both conceived by a virgin
    Ancestory both of royal descent
    Both born is a cave or stable
    Annunciation - both by an Angel
    Birth recognized by a star
    Birth witnessed by Shepards for both.
    Herut tried to have Horus murdered. Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.
    Both came to the rite of passage at age 12
    No information exists for both from ages 12-30.
    Both baptized at age 30
    Fate of baptizer for both was beheading
    Both worked miracles
    Both walked on water
    Both were crucified
    Both were discovered missing from their tomb by 2 women
    Both were to have risen 3 days later

So just by the above examples I'm to give respect to religous beliefs, when they all are copied from another...
  • FUBAR THE REV 2010/04/23 13:52:42
    FUBAR
    +1
    Like the lie, myth and make believe "religion" known as global warming.
  • wolfsan11 2010/04/23 12:16:36
    wolfsan11
    Dunno, I don't believe in religion, so I just kind shut up whenever someone mentions something related to religion.
    Do ont respect religion. You might respect Christtianinty since this is not religion.
  • Anonymousforobvious 2010/04/23 11:38:50
    Anonymousforobvious
    otherwise they will kill you.
  • Erica 2010/04/23 11:24:42
    Erica
    i respect their opinions.. which would include their opinion of religion.. they believe that pigs will fly or w/e i dont care..
  • NyghtZtalker 2010/04/23 09:47:15
    NyghtZtalker
    +1
    if you want respect then earn it
  • cнιвι cυρcαқєs ~*Λℓιcє*~ ♥♥
    Well, some people are really sensitive about their religion and you at least should respect it physically.
  • Wise Soul 2010/04/23 05:35:09
    Wise Soul
    For some religion provides the moral guidance that they need to prevent them from doing bad things. I'm an Agnostic and accept that ALL religions deserve a little respect just in case they ARE correct.
  • everlearning 2010/04/23 05:28:24
    everlearning
    You should repect religion becuse it is the standard by which most people live their lives. It is the foundation of most people's belief system. It is an inert character of most of mankind to believe that there is a power greatter than themselves. It gives men hope, and reason to go on, and the faith to believe that there is a future beyond this life's existance. It is the evolution of the whole man, Mind, Body, and Spirit. All functional,All necessary.
  • lifelovefreedom 2010/04/23 05:19:14
    lifelovefreedom
    The world is off track, and so are many religious people. Demands are not to be held in too high of value imo. The people you describe seem to be stuck in a five-sensory perception of the world, and in their own personality.

Reverence is when you connect to the essence of all life, animals, plants, people.. that is how you will find and be in touch with your own soul and feelings. Respect for others personal beliefs has nothing to do with your own feelings and revering life. You can revere all of these people without having to respond to or judge them. Or respect them. A simple nod and smile is fine, or better yet, if they don't leave you alone, just remove them from your immediate space. Just a few thoughts on the matter.
  • Anemone 2010/04/23 05:15:58
    Anemone
    You shouldn't, but some of the believers deserve respect.
  • Brian [Human Nightmare] 2010/04/23 04:43:05
  • Desirae 2010/04/23 04:29:49
    Desirae
    We should respect people individual. If someone believe in something just respect that they believe in that. That is all it's to it.
  • everlea... Desirae 2010/04/23 05:29:44
    everlearning
    agreed.
  • The Big Taboo [AKA Phuck No... 2010/04/23 04:29:06
    The Big Taboo [AKA Phuck Norris]
    I completely agree. Religion is a man made construct that prays on the faith of individuals, or forces them to feel some false faith out of fear, or something along those lines. As for me, I respect faith. Faith is the non religious, non dogmatic side of what many would call religion. It's the actual driving force behind people who actually adhere to what they and/or their religious affiliations preach. As for religion, I find it rather evil, if anything. Just don't up the two. They're totally different.
  • icymore 2010/04/23 04:23:10
    icymore
    +1
    you shouldn't respect it.
  • Seasoned BN-0 2010/04/23 04:07:37
    Seasoned BN-0
    +1
    You should not respect the "group religion" instead you should respect the
    "individual believer".
    Respect springs from honor values and moral judgments made from individual plights in the darkest of hours. It usually has little to do with organized religion and more to with individual courage and strength.
  • P@!&E!!!! 2010/04/23 03:57:12
    P@!&E!!!!
    because you should
  • Ann 2010/04/23 03:14:57
    Ann
    +1
    I think that God should be respected. He created this earth and everything in and on it. What I keep telling people is that it's not about religion; it's about having a relationship with God our Father. He created us and loved us, and all He wants is a relationship with us. I'd say He is more than worthy of having us love and respect Him. :-)
  • PlasmaDragon007 2010/04/23 03:10:30
    PlasmaDragon007
    ...People respect you, don't they?

Ha. Ha. Ha.
  • PlasmaD... PlasmaD... 2010/04/23 03:10:59
    PlasmaDragon007
    Besides...isn't fear better than respect?

2014/10/25 12:01:54