Why should Hindu's be upset we aren't practicing yoga?

jt 2012/04/15 15:34:37
As an American I can care or less what 'The Hindus' think about my lifestyle. I have nothing to talk about Hinduism. If I like to practice 'Yoga' as an upliftment for body and mental concentration I might do it. Otherwise I don't allow anybody to dictate my way of living, as long as my lifestyle doesn't compromise any security in our nation. Have a great day!

jt

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/hindus-in-uk-upset-over-church-ban...

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/10/146697650/the-science-of-yoga-t...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2010/dec/02/yo...

A fwd article: - jt

• Sperry23 2012/04/15 21:14:14 (edited)
    Sperry23
    +6
    According to the articles linked to, they aren't. They are concerned about having it banned as unchristian and/or pagan. There's nothing in any of the three stories about them being "upset we aren't practicing yoga".

This is from one of the articles: "But what do Hindus, not the deracinated variety, actually want? It is simply to urge the world to acknowledge that yoga has its roots in the millennia-old Indian traditions now known as Hinduism. There is no demand that those who do yoga profess any attachment to Hinduism, let alone become Hindus!"

That's a far cry from the premise stated in the question.

• AJ 2012/09/04 14:17:56
    AJ
    +1
    I think you have completely misinterpreted these articles....Hindus are not upset because people are not practicing yoga but because Churches in the UK have asked Christians not to practice yoga because it is un-Christian!
  • Random 2012/07/24 16:10:39 (edited)
    Random
    Well, I didn't read the articles, but I can see why some (not all) Hindus could be upset. Yoga is an important part of spiritualism and their religious devotion. They could feel that "Westerners" took this and watered it down. They could feel that you guys are abusing their beliefs. That you are saying, "Well, it doesn't matter because it's ours now."
    It's part of their cultural history, with significant ties to their religious beliefs.

It would be similar to using a church for a frat party. You are ignoring the religious undertones of the building and instead imposing your own contexts to it.

That being said I am what I like to call a "watered down Hindu" myself. I and many other Hindus couldn't care less how you practice Yoga, do it however you like.
  • Nameless 2012/04/16 05:27:06
    Nameless
    +1
    I voted "undecided" because I had not yet read the articles. However, upon reading about this, I think that Hindus have a legitimate grievance. Yoga helps a lot of people with all sorts of things and one can practice yoga and still be whatever religion they wish. This is just ignorance...
  • jt 2012/04/16 05:22:36
    I don't care about any groups about my life style...
    jt
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/04/16 04:57:30
  • AJ POWERSH... 2012/09/04 14:19:16
    AJ
    So who is the true god?
  • POWERSH... AJ 2012/09/04 14:41:09
  • AJ POWERSH... 2012/09/04 15:00:18
    AJ
    +1
    Actually what you said is what Hindus follow, which is why they dont seek converts!
  • POWERSH... AJ 2012/09/04 18:21:11
  • AJ POWERSH... 2012/09/05 22:25:59
    AJ
    Im sorry, but I have to disagree with you. If that is what you think, you have been misinformed. There are many deities in Hinduism because different people see god in different forms. Some may see god in Jesus, some in Krishna, some may feel that god exists but has no impact on human life, others may not believe in god itself, but that is a decision that one has to make for oneself, its not something which others can decide for you.

At the end of the day...it is just a way of life!
  • POWERSH... AJ 2012/09/05 23:10:21 (edited)
  • AJ POWERSH... 2012/09/07 17:44:04
    AJ
    I didnt say, it was a "revealed religion" please revisit the thread, you were the one who said it! I was merely correcting you...technically speaking, Hinduism is just a 'way of life'; it was for the first time in its 5000 year history classified as a religion by the British and that was only as recent as around 200 years ago!
  • POWERSH... AJ 2012/09/07 18:05:18
  • AJ POWERSH... 2012/09/07 18:28:30
    AJ
    Again that's a misconception...yes the Hindus do have the Vedas, but they also have other texts including the Upanishads, the Bhagwad Gita, Ramayana, Mahabharata etc and unlike the semitic religions where the scriptures are meant to be the word of god, in the Hindu scriptures they are not the word of god...they are merely a set of values which have been encouraged to follow!
  • POWERSH... AJ 2012/09/07 18:42:03
  • AJ POWERSH... 2012/09/14 17:48:52
    AJ
    +2
    Hinduism does not claim that it is the word of god - but why does god need to give you a message...he has given you brains and hopefully that should be good enough to teach you what is right and what is wrong. Abraham Lincoln was once asked what religion he followed and his reply was 'When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion', and he was right. What is the purpose of religion - to teach people morals, to become better human beings, but using your intelligence if you know what is right and what is wrong, the need for receiving messages from god becomes completely obsolete! And anyway no religion can say with uncertainty as to what message god has given...so rather than debate about who said what and kill one another over it, people should use their own brains to decide what is right and what is wrong!
  • POWERSH... AJ 2012/09/15 14:43:05
  • AJ POWERSH... 2012/09/07 17:45:50
    AJ
    And that ax-killer comment...a bit random, not sure what you are trying to get at, so I wont bother giving a reply!
  • POWERSH... AJ 2012/09/07 18:07:14
  • Random POWERSH... 2012/09/17 14:40:59 (edited)
  • POWERSH... Random 2012/09/17 16:38:41
  • Random POWERSH... 2012/09/17 16:43:41 (edited)
    Random
    +1
    That's only because it's like 2 in the morning and I can't explain very well. It's very nuanced with many different beliefs and traditions.
    Basically it boils down to this.
    Hinduism is a philosophy and a religion. It's up to the individual how he or she would like to take it.
    You know how you said earlier that no one can know God truly? That's one of the core tenant of their belief system.
  • POWERSH... Random 2012/09/17 16:51:42
  • Random POWERSH... 2012/09/18 03:40:59
    Random
    +1
    Yeah, that describes religion to a T. It's also mankind's attempts at philosophy and spirituality. Connecting to that higher power, but I don't think anyone's got it right. I say take out the middle man that is religion and connect to God your own way.
  • POWERSH... Random 2012/09/18 15:15:07
  • Random POWERSH... 2012/09/18 16:11:05
    Random
    +1
    And if the Quran is true, Allah is the way.
    Christianity seems to be quite arrogant which I don't think is very Christ like. All other religions are the same, but they don't claim to be Christlike!
  • AJ Random 2012/09/21 20:09:21
    AJ
    +1
    Well said!
  • AJ POWERSH... 2012/09/21 20:08:33
    AJ
    +1
    That is absolutely correct...nobody knows for certain why or where we come from and how we should live! We can only speculate!
  • POWERSH... AJ 2012/09/22 16:30:57
  • samantha 2012/04/16 03:38:24
    samantha
    +2
    I like yoga. I don't know why anyone really cares. When I was doing it once a day my muscles didn't get sore muscles like I usually do. There is a christian yoga version if the other is too much. I don't mind to do regular yoga but I husband likes the christian version better.
  • AJ samantha 2012/09/04 14:21:54
    AJ
    That's bizarre....first time I have heard of a Christian version because yoga is not a Christian practice. In fact this is why the Church has asked Christians to stop practicing yoga! I have heard of Hindu, Buddhist and Sikh versions which I suppose is understandable as all these religions hail from India, but Christian version? Im bamboozled now!
  • Red Branch 2012/04/16 02:04:57
    Red Branch
    +1
    I don't care if they play basketball, American football, or baseball. So, they can STFU.
  • AJ Red Branch 2012/09/04 14:23:13
    AJ
    I think you should the read the articles. If they have said that they should STFU but that's not what has been said. The Church has asked Christians to stop practicing yoga because they think it is un-Christian which is why Hindus are upset!
  • Red Branch AJ 2012/09/04 14:40:31
    Red Branch
    I think that you should have written your own narrative including the pertinent details and used the links for more info.
    Hindus are Hindus and they need to keep it to themselves. Maybe, it is time that the Christian churches call for India to lessen their starvation by eating beef.
  • Vitalani 2012/04/16 00:53:30
    Vitalani
    +3
    Not all "Hindu's" are upset. In-fact I can guarantee that most of them don't give two sh*ts.

"As an American I can care or less what 'The Hindus' think about my lifestyle"

As a popsicle I don't care what bananas think about MY lifestyle. That makes abut as much sense as your statement. There are plenty of people practicing Hinduism in America. The fact that this is America doesn't mean that certain religions don't matter. This is the melting pot, every religion is just as important as any other. The fact that you are "an American" doesn't mean anything. As an American I don't care what Christians say about my lifestyle. See how that works? It really doesn't make sense lol.

" The ban on yoga by two British vicars, who called it un-Christian.." Give me a break!!
  • I Am The Beast Sssotlohiefmjn 2012/04/15 22:43:57
    I understand why the 'Hindus' are upset...
    I Am The Beast Sssotlohiefmjn
    +2
    Because we are such a very violent culture and have over 2000 nuclear superbombs?
  • Sperry23 2012/04/15 21:14:14 (edited)
    Sperry23
    +6

• Jump Ba... Sperry23 2012/04/15 23:33:25
  • jt Jump Ba... 2012/04/16 19:08:35
    jt
    U seems so fricking busy? LOL
  • Jump Ba... jt 2012/04/16 21:49:54 (edited)
    Jump Back Jack ~ The Minstrel of *þᾞमेॐऊ
    +1
    You know that question marks are supposed to go at the end of questions, right? You can't just flabber jabber like a retard and punctuate it with the first thing you see on your keyboard.

2014/10/20 23:00:24