Why Men like blond bombshells (and women want to look like them) ?

dizzy 2009/08/28 03:06:08
Men like blond bombshells (and women want to look like them)
Long before TV—in 15th- and 16th- century Italy, and possibly two millennia ago—women were dying their hair blond. A recent study shows that in Iran, where exposure to Western media and culture is limited, women are actually more concerned with their body image, and want to lose more weight, than their American counterparts. It is difficult to ascribe the preferences and desires of women in 15th-century Italy and 21st-century Iran to socialization by media.

Women's desire to look like Barbie—young with small waist, large breasts, long blond hair, and blue eyes—is a direct, realistic, and sensible response to the desire of men to mate with women who look like her. There is evolutionary logic behind each of these features.

Men prefer young women in part because they tend to be healthier than older women. One accurate indicator of health is physical attractiveness; another is hair. Healthy women have lustrous, shiny hair, whereas the hair of sickly people loses its luster. Because hair grows slowly, shoulder-length hair reveals several years of a woman's health status.

Men also have a universal preference for women with a low waist-to-hip ratio. They are healthier and more fertile than other women; they have an easier time conceiving a child and do so at earlier ages because they have larger amounts of essential reproductive hormones. Thus men are unconsciously seeking healthier and more fertile women when they seek women with small waists.

Until very recently, it was a mystery to evolutionary psychology why men prefer women with large breasts, since the size of a woman's breasts has no relationship to her ability to lactate. But Harvard anthropologist Frank Marlowe contends that larger, and hence heavier, breasts sag more conspicuously with age than do smaller breasts. Thus they make it easier for men to judge a woman's age (and her reproductive value) by sight—suggesting why men find women with large breasts more attractive.

Alternatively, men may prefer women with large breasts for the same reason they prefer women with small waists. A new study of Polish women shows that women with large breasts and tight waists have the greatest fecundity, indicated by their levels of two reproductive hormones (estradiol and progesterone).

Blond hair is unique in that it changes dramatically with age. Typically, young girls with light blond hair become women with brown hair. Thus, men who prefer to mate with blond women are unconsciously attempting to mate with younger (and hence, on average, healthier and more fecund) women. It is no coincidence that blond hair evolved in Scandinavia and northern Europe, probably as an alternative means for women to advertise their youth, as their bodies were concealed under heavy clothing.

Women with blue eyes should not be any different from those with green or brown eyes. Yet preference for blue eyes seems both universal and undeniable—in males as well as females. One explanation is that the human pupil dilates when an individual is exposed to something that she likes. For instance, the pupils of women and infants (but not men) spontaneously dilate when they see babies. Pupil dilation is an honest indicator of interest and attraction. And the size of the pupil is easiest to determine in blue eyes. Blue-eyed people are considered attractive as potential mates because it is easiest to determine whether they are interested in us or not.

The irony is that none of the above is true any longer. Through face-lifts, wigs, liposuction, surgical breast augmentation, hair dye, and color contact lenses, any woman, regardless of age, can have many of the key features that define ideal female beauty. And men fall for them. Men can cognitively understand that many blond women with firm, large breasts are not actually 15 years old, but they still find them attractive because their evolved psychological mechanisms are fooled by modern inventions that did not exist in the ancestral environment.

• randy 2009/08/28 14:11:48
    I dont agree with this article
    randy
    +3
    Just my opinion, but I don't think skin hair or eye color make that much of a difference. A beautiful woman is a beautiful woman.

• randy 2009/08/28 14:11:48
    I dont agree with this article
    randy
    +3
  • Green is a color 2009/08/28 03:17:22
    I dont agree with this article
    Green is a color
    +1
    theyre dumb.... me myself, i ldont like blonde hair, i lovve e black and red hair....and im not that big on blue eyes either,,, id kill to change my eyes to grreeeen
  • dizzy Green i... 2009/08/28 03:19:48
    dizzy
    +1
    or just get green contact lenses? .. i have dark brown hair, much classier in my opinion. i duno blondes can look a little 'playboy style'
  • Green i... dizzy 2009/08/28 04:26:58
    Green is a color
    +1
    yeh, i wannna get green contacts. but i would rather have green as my real eye color.... adn yeh, lolz, they doo!
  • dizzy Green i... 2009/08/29 18:03:35
    dizzy
    +1
    you can have your eyes tattooed now.. what ever colour you want. although i would advise it. it looks dreadful sore.. yeah like i duno if a brunnette wears pink it look cool like nice.. if a blonde wears pink its like 'whooooa, barbie?!' lol
  • Green i... dizzy 2009/08/29 20:25:08
    Green is a color
    +1
    awsome!! but yeh, i probably wouldnt be able to take that kind of pain.... ill just tell em to put me to sleeep, and do it then! =DDD. lmao, yeh theres this bleach blonde at my schoole who actually has this pink barbie shirt ( she skinny as a barbie too) but she loooks sooo funny wearin it!
  • dizzy Green i... 2009/08/30 00:45:27
    dizzy
    +1
    Barbie isn’t 'skinny' just horribly disproportionate! Lol. Yeah I was talking about tattoos (I want a quote on my ribcage) why can’t they knock you out for it? They are a sadistic bunch making ya sit through needles puncturing skin and bone. Get the anaesthetic out! Much happier time! Lol...
  • Green i... dizzy 2009/08/30 03:14:06
    Green is a color
    +1
    i know, knock me out or give me some kind of numbing drug! gooodness have some compassion! what do you want to say onnn your ribcagge?
  • dizzy Green i... 2009/08/30 04:07:41
    dizzy
    +1
    i am getting very serious about pain relief these days during tattoos now that i am actually thinking of getting one. lol

a quote saying by the philospher Disraeli saying:
    ''Were it not for music, we might in these days say, the Beautiful is dead.''
  • Green i... dizzy 2009/08/30 04:47:32
    Green is a color
    +1
    haha,..... thats cool, ive never heard that before....
  • dizzy Green i... 2009/08/30 04:50:24
    dizzy
    +1
    i wanted a music quote so i google it, as you do lol and this came up..i really like it. next year i hope to go on to university to do music production..

would u ever get a tattoo done... im like worried il regret it and be like 'what the hell was i thinking?!' lol
  • Green i... dizzy 2009/08/30 04:52:51
    Green is a color
    +1
    i love gooogle! yeh ive thought bout gettin a tatooo, but the one i want would be on my face, so i might really regret that one when i get old and my face gets allll saggy,lolzz. but somwhere like stomach, id say go ;for it!!
  • dizzy Green i... 2009/08/30 05:12:38
    dizzy
    +1
    google rocks. yano what sucks bing that microsoft version. it is shit. couldnt find an elephant in a small room! haha

ooh cool where abouts on the face. there are good foundations if it was like a wedding or an occasion and you wanted to cover it up.. :)

i duno i just wana get at least one. maybe i'll regret getting it. but i think when im old i might regret not getting one even more.. i have a lota 'to do' things.. haha
  • Green i... dizzy 2009/08/30 05:14:28
    Green is a color
    +1
    lmao, elephant in a smalll rommm, haha!............... yeh i want lil stars on my face. and yep, it would be reall goood to cover it up when needed........people always regret what they DONT do!
  • dizzy Green i... 2009/08/30 05:18:23
    dizzy
    +1
    i am serious bing is as useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.. drives me mad.. lol

ooh very nice i know a girl that has stars all down her back. its really pretty. but she is like a skealeton i'd say she was in some pain.. :S
  • Green i... dizzy 2009/08/30 17:13:34
    Green is a color
    lmao, where do you here those things, trapdoor on a lifeboat! soo funny....... so bing aint gooo, hmm. i havent used it yet, ill have to try it outttt!........... ohh, yeh, and im thinkin it might hurt in the face too! haha!
  • dizzy Green i... 2009/08/30 17:27:30
    dizzy
    +1
    oh me and my best friend have loads of sayings like that, we almost speak in like our own language.. wierd i know...

i would say it would hurt anywhere there isnt much fat naturally, it'd be on bone :S... oh i read some tattoo parlours use aenesthetic on the area to numb it before tattoos. but not all tattoo artists do this.. there may be hope for us getting a painfree (kind of) tattoo after all.. haha
  • Green i... dizzy 2009/08/30 17:31:18
    Green is a color
    +1
    oh, thats like soo coool! i write in my own language some times, but i catn talk it! =DDD,,,,, yeh, and lolz, my face aint got alot of fat!...... halleujah! were gunna have to find those guys!! i dont want a painfull tattto! =DDD
  • dizzy Green i... 2009/08/30 22:40:19
    dizzy
    +1
    haha coolio :).. yeah they say buy anesthetic ointment on the internet before you get a tattoo and hope they don't realize..lol.. some think anesthetic is a bad idea. i for one think its genius..

a few hours from me is a tattoo artist that used to work for miami ink... id say he would know what he is doing :D
  • Green i... dizzy 2009/08/31 02:03:00
    Green is a color
    thatss goo, im gunnna get me some!.. i dont care what they think, lolz! im using ittt!............... awsoem! youll have to give me his number! =DDD
  • Bear Green i... 2009/08/31 08:59:55
    Bear
    +1
    Look at how you post.... And you call ANYONE else dumb?

Sheesh.
  • Green i... Bear 2009/08/31 18:54:03
    Green is a color
    grouchy a bit??
  • Bear Green i... 2009/09/04 08:27:14
    Bear
    +1
    No, I laugh at stupid children. Watch:
    laugh stupid children watch
  • Green i... Bear 2009/09/05 17:11:19
    Green is a color
    glad i make you laugh thennn.......
  • Bear Green i... 2009/09/05 23:38:46 (edited)
    Bear
    +1
    You're probably crunchy, and tasty with catsup, too...
    tasty catsup
  • Green i... Bear 2009/09/06 18:20:05
    Green is a color
    I totally am!!
  • NeoDeath90 2009/08/28 03:08:51 (edited)
    I dont agree with this article
    NeoDeath90
    Personally, I think it's the media corrupting the minds of the impressionable male libido.

But to be blunt, I prefer brunettes.
  • Half-Gi... NeoDeath90 2009/08/30 14:05:12
    Half-Ginger
    And redheads continue to be ignored.... *wails*
  • NeoDeath90 Half-Gi... 2009/08/30 15:43:27
    NeoDeath90
    Who said I didn't like you redheads? Where I live there is literally not one redhead. Everyone is Italian here, and I'm one of the few Irish people.
  • dizzy NeoDeath90 2009/08/30 16:55:20
    dizzy
    are you really Irish. or an 'irish-american'... lol... i live in nthe emerald Isle, and i'll be honest there isn't that many redheads.
  • NeoDeath90 dizzy 2009/08/30 17:55:53
    NeoDeath90
    Irish American. Haha, I'm just a stereotypical bastard sometimes.
  • Half-Gi... NeoDeath90 2009/08/30 19:14:09
    Half-Ginger
    Oh - we we have pretty much everyone in England.. and one of the highest redhead rates in the world.
  • NeoDeath90 Half-Gi... 2009/08/31 02:05:59
    NeoDeath90
    Cor blimey! Send me across the bloody pond then!
  • Half-Gi... NeoDeath90 2009/08/31 13:34:03
    Half-Ginger
    Lol - about 12% of Brits have some form of 'red' hair, and over 40% carry the gene for it. Come over if you want, but when you've seen the weather you'll want to go straight back.
  • NeoDeath90 Half-Gi... 2009/08/31 16:29:16
    NeoDeath90
    It's rainy as hell. I know. I like the rain.
  • Half-Gi... NeoDeath90 2009/08/31 16:33:33
    Half-Ginger
    So you are happy with the concept of 'no summer', and spring just slipping into autumn...?

Oh - and no winter either. No snow or pretty white christmases. Just more overcast days... and rain....
  • NeoDeath90 Half-Gi... 2009/09/01 02:11:57
    NeoDeath90
    Completely fine with it.

2014/04/17 15:57:44